Serious how do you get your fulfilment?

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
like others have said, little things really can help give you a sense of fulfillment. For me its stuff like being with my friends and rating teams :]

but real lasting fulfillment for me at least comes from any sort of group accomplishment. Then you really feel a sense of belonging and that what you did really meant something. Then when people from outside the group recognize your achievement as well it just makes it that much more awesome. This was definitely the most fulfilling moment of my life. that's the single reason I decided to continue playing basketball after high school, just for a chance to repeat that moment :']

I don't really gain happiness from any single thing, I sort of just derp through the day trying to do well enough to get into a good college and be somewhat successful. To be honest I don't even enjoy success in school that much, I just accept it as a part of my life I must fulfill in order to be accpeted by parents and others. Studies consistently show that the middle class is much more satisfied with their life situation than the overly affluent. Of course I want to be successful to some degree but if I am not doing something I enjoy I'll find something I do enjoy for employment. I don't see the point of being rich in a lot of ways. Having a beautiful house or whatever is great, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would be fine living off in a tiny cabin/shack somewhere if all my wants/needs were fulfilled and the environment around me was nice enough. I don't even always enjoy the company of others, I sort of only have friends to not be a social outcast. Sure I sometimes enjoy spending time with them, but often instead of going to see a movie I would prefer to read a book alone. I feel like a total douche when I seem smarter than someone else, and if they ask me some sort of academic question I understand I might just pretend not to in order to make them feel better. I sadly must admit I only do things like competitive pokemon and TV (BREAKING BAD!!!!!) to pass the time in my empty days. Again I enjoy parts of these now hobbies but I guess I'm not really sure what I want here. I could spend a significant amount of time in solitary confinement so long as I had things to occupy my time, I would enjoy the experience.

As for what actually makes me happy, I enjoy athletic competition, and naps in the middle of the day because I can. I guess I would sum this up as I'm not quite sure where I am going, and marijuana makes it all a lot less stressful. Legalize pot.

Doing well at college, being a hard worker, working out, being a good friend, getting better at League. Pretty much in that order.

Finding a fresh hobby and immediately being part of a team which includes a bunch of similar but unique people is challenging and a lot of fun. My first wcop with West just hanging in the channel before I got a spot was amazingly fun playing so many practice games and seeing how great players from really different walks of life narrowed down the millions of options in mons while doing well and enjoying it. It wasn't just fun, being with all of them at least doubled my thinking skills for real life.

I also cannot quantify how fulfilling it is to just have your top group of 3-4 friends with you all at the same time before they go off to work / whatever bullshit makes them go away. College is so much loneliness and boredom sometimes and you forget how much fun life is when they're gone. Looking at No Hope for the Human Race memes on facebook is good but doesn't match.

I do a lot of running / swimming too so that, as long as I don't get injured moving closer to beast athelete / lifeguard level is good. Whenever I get a fucking job and get a car I'm sure that will be the top thing.

Last edited:
When I'm assigned a random partner in math class and actually know how to do the activity I feel pretty damn good.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I like creating stuff, especially complex systems. I get a lot of fulfillment trying to build teams, investment portfolios, fantasy football rosters, etc. The weirder the better.

Exercise / triathlon training is nice to stop my mind from racing.

I also get fulfilled by having actual people contact once in a while instead of spending all weekend on here. Didn't realize the importance of human contact until I completely isolated myself from the world.

Or I could just quote Tyrion Lannister all day. (probably NSFW)

Happiness and fulfillment are kind of random for me. Sometimes it'll feel super life affirming to hang out with my friends or do something creative like make a youtube video (resisting the temptation to plug myself) and I'll be like "hell yeah this is what life is about". But other times spending time with people with just make me feel lonelier and more isolated than before and sometimes I'm completely apathetic to everything, even things that usually bring me the most happiness. Other times even stupid trivial shit like watching youtube videos or beating up scrubs on Pokemon make me feel like a god.

I think I'm just entering my crazy emotional teenager stage way late. It's kind of dumb and I hope it ends soon.

edit: reading this post right after posting it I'm thinking I'm kind of confusing fulfillment with happiness, though they can be closely related. I dunno really lol

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
I'm a very competitive person so any kind of achievement is really fulfilling for me. And, like every one, just indulging in my hobbies ( watching/playing football, gaming or watching sitcoms and drama shows ) gives me a lot of satisfaction. I'm also very sensitive or "mushy", if you will, and so healthy human relations ( friends/family ) give me a much deeper sense of fulfillment. Even my friends on smogon can really make my day .

But, at this point in life, I'd say that I'm currrently unfulfilled. Working out also makes me feel happy but that stems from my desire to lose these extra pounds of fat and achieve fitness. I'm working really hard right now and I know that it won't be easy but I'll be really happy when I finally get a flat stomach. I just can't accept the way I am right now and I just feel incomplete. Another big issue is how I'm currently forced to live with my parents. My mom is nice but my dad is arrogant, judgemental and insensitive. He treats me like shit and it's unbearable to have to live with him. I long for when he has to go out on business because those few days or weeks are like a vacation for me. And all I can do now is wait. I suppose I'll truly feel fulfilled when I'm able to get a place of my own ( and I'm working really hard towards that ) and achieve fitness.

Last edited:
relaxing, there are enough leisure activities in the world that I don't think I'll ever really be bored. Though at the same time I feel like life would be somehow empty if I didn't have some sort of job even if I didn't have living expenses to consider.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Watching a good film or experimenting with an interesting camera angle. Dream Job=Director and/or Screenwriter. Also, Bummer I totally agree.

Two fufilling things for me are my friends and excercising. I have a pretty good group of friends, they al like me a lot and we muck around and make eachother laugh all the time. Excercising is cool because it takes my mind of everything and I have gotten pretty fit this year and last year, and I sometimes have people complement me. :D :D (I apologise if I sound like a douchebag, I am trying not to be). Honestly without my friends though life would be miserable, I have a lot of stress from school work and even home life to an extent. I also used to find smogon really fufilling, getting badges, having name on site and helping and chatting to other users gives me a real sense of fufillment, although I am not finding smogon as enjoyable as I used to since before my one month absence

Honestly, I find joy in completely rearranging things. I lived in the same room for the same way for approximately 10 years, not even switching my pillow to the other side of my bed even though I had no headboard. Something one day just clicked that, hey, maybe I could change this.

Ended up building my own desk, buying paintings from one of my parents' friends, getting rid of some of my old stuff from when I was younger, and moving EVERYTHING around until it just seemed better to me.

I may have done this four or five times since that first, and I find it enjoyable every time. Currently having my desk look out over my window where I have two pretty big spider friends that live in between the screen and the glass, it's real fun to watch them catch and eat their food there. (I'm sure they like having me there too, the moths they catch can get pretty big.)

Also stupid romantic shit like cuddling and just going out together makes me happy. I've always only kept a few friends close to me, but I've only ever stopped talking to one of my past boyfriends.

My friends are also in a band together, and they've been more successful as of late. That makes me overjoyed.

As a final thought, when friends I don't get to talk to much anymore message me. I'm really glad I joined Smogon, because everyone knows where to find me even though they were on different Pokemon sites. It's interesting to think about how I spent a lot of my high school career talking to some guys online about Pokemon in my down time, I don't think I ever expected to meet actual friends that I would keep in touch with for so many years.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Same with my Pokemon league.
Somewhat 20 of us had been together for 10 years or so.
Although not everyone's a friend back then, we became less mean towards each other as we grow.
Now, when we talk about Pokemon together, we don't have to worry about who bullies who anymore.
It's like all of us know that we want to improve our league together. No more of those "I'm so not going to give benefits to your group." sort of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)