Hydreigon

Sazando has a lot of stuff over Latias; it checks Ghosts better and can't be Pursuittrapped due to its tyimg, and it's one of the few things to resist STAB combos like Ghost / Ground, Ghost / Fire and Ghost / Water (all of which appear on viable mons this gen) as well as the common coverage combo Ghost / Electric. Also, it gets Flamethrower; Latias has BIG problems with Nuttre and Sazando just laughs in its face. It OHKOs Scizor, Forretress etc. as well.

The set, I think, is probably going to be:
Sazando @ Choice Specs
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid (+Spe, -SpA)
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
U-Turn
Dragon Pulse / Dark Pulse / Surf

Latias' fighting resistance, higher Speed, higher Special Defense and Trick access are obviously going to be useful, but Latias is much less reliable in a metagame populated by Nuttre and Tyranitar to counter weather. It depends a lot on team, of course.
Ice-Eyes, you just made my day with this set :D

This is exactly what I was looking for in Sazando, and it covers soooo many things so well. This dragon is trully great. It can partner with ANYTHING with this set, hands down.

so many options, whats even greater is that it resists all of rotom's moves, and doesn't care about wow since its specially based :D

I thought about something similar:)

Sazando @ Choice Scarf
Levitate

Hasty (+Spe, - Def)
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
U-Turn
Pursuit

I don't know what would be the best evs though. It needs to outspeed Ononokusu after 1 DD and strong enough to ko ghosts with pursuit.

I thought about something similar:)

Sazando @ Choice Scarf
Levitate

Hasty (+Spe, - Def)
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
U-Turn
Pursuit

I don't know what would be the best evs though. It needs to outspeed Ononokusu after 1 DD and strong enough to ko ghosts with pursuit.
I don't think Sazando can learn pursuit, and I believe that has been established before, unless I am mistaken.

Of course bugs will cause Sazando a problem. Please remember that Sazando is also bulky for a rather mixed offensive pokemon, having around the same offensive stats as Zoroark, but being a lot bulkier. Not a lot of bugs are 2HKOing Sazando anytime soon.

This is the Pokemon I'm most excited about, whether or not it lives up to the hype. Dark/Dragon is just such an amazing typing. Personally I'll be using the same Choice Specs set posted above (Draco Meteor/Flamethrower/Dark Pulse/U-Turn). I loved using Specs Latias when it was around but its Pursuit weakness was a major con. Sazando has a lot of advantages over it. It may not have Trick but having access to U-Turn for scouting is incredibly useful on a Choice item user. I think Heatran is the only Pokemon that resists Dragon, Dark, and Fire. That would make Shanderaa a great partner for it, and it covers Sazando's Bug and Fighting weaknesses..

I guess the majority supports Sanzando as a pokemon.
I initially liked it at first. I stand corrected--it is a very good sweeper.
However, that does not change the fact that I think Sanzando is overrated.
Personally I regard him better than the Kibago-evo.
I am going to repost my key problems with Sanzando again:
No reliable recovery
Bug/Fighting weakness (personally I think this is a big deal, but others disagree)

I am comparing weaknesses as to why Latias is/isn't superior to Sanzando. Here's what I come up with:
Sanzando:
Cheer Up
Hits hard on both sides
Resistances

Latias:
Calm Mind
Trick
Speed
Team Support

I guess the majority supports Sanzando as a pokemon.
I initially liked it at first. I stand corrected--it is a very good sweeper.
However, that does not change the fact that I think Sanzando is overrated.
Personally I regard him better than the Kibago-evo.
I am going to repost my key problems with Sanzando again:
No reliable recovery
Bug/Fighting weakness (personally I think this is a big deal, but others disagree)

I am comparing weaknesses as to why Latias is/isn't superior to Sanzando. Here's what I come up with:
Sanzando:
Cheer Up
Hits hard on both sides
Resistances

Latias:
Calm Mind
Trick
Speed
Team Support
U-Turn is also a nice advantage it has over Latias. Who needs Trick when you can just U-Turn out of incoming Blissey into Shanderaa (which has pretty good type synergy Sazando) and Shadow Tag it?

Latias' best advantages are its speed and versatility but I expect Pursuit users to be very common in this metagame.

Lol, team support? That right there made no sense. Sanzando has loads of team support in regards to getting it's job done, and checking things for whatever team it's on. And obviously since it's on a team it's meant to support the team in some kind of way. As does any other pokemon.

Trick is one thing, while U-turn, which you didn't mention, can act in it's own respected support. Compared to Sazando, Latias doesn't check the new ghost types well at all let alone it'll still have to worry about TTar, and the new forry Nuttre. Make note that latias isn't used as a wallbreaker, where Sanzando can be, which is a plus on his side for sure.

Latias can gain an upper hand in a Support Set, which then, it can become more team oriented. It's speed, fighting type resistances are great, and have there places as well.

As a final note, your still comparing Sazando as if though it's an inferior Latias when both can have a spot on the same team without having to compete for it. Neither one have a similar moveset in anyway, and stats are distributed in a way that both can work in their own respected fields, and not have to bump heads.

I am most definitely not comparing Sanzando as an inferior Latias. I apologize if I have given this impression--I stated that several attributes for general pokemon.

I am merely listing the differences between the two. Please stop jumping to conclusions.

I stated that I already accepted Sanzando before and after as a powerful pokemon.

I just view it personally as overhyped. Probably from me watching too many videos.

Team Support: Thunder wave, wish. I like to see Sanzando as a defensive pivot like Latias to help bring in switches, but offensively, Sanzando is so much better.

EDIT: I made no statement that Sanzando was bad for team support (unless I did that last night when I was tired as crap). The many defenses are sturdy, but against pokes with 120+ attack and with wide coverage, I just think Sanzando has a harder time being as durable as before. The defenses look sturdy, but we shall see how effective they really are. That is my main point--we simply don't know yet.

And do not forget that this is all theory--the main reason why I am against Sanzando, a pokemon I would normally support.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't think a lot of you realise how much of a difference that extra 15 base special attack over Mence/Latias makes in conjunction with Cheer Up. His Draco Meteors are almost as powerful as Latios', with an actual fire move, the ability to go mixed and a little more physical bulk in exchange for some special bulk and speed. His lack of Pursuit weakness also makes him a better pure Scarfer/Specs user then either Lati ever would. Imo the only thing potentially holding this thing back from top tier OU is the fact that Mence, Chomp and co all outspeed him but he's still a pretty ridiculous threat that shouldn't be underestimated.

^
Don't you mean top tier OU?

I wonder if a set of Sub, Cheer Up, Dragon Pulse, and Crunch/Dark Pulse could work...Then again I'd much rather enjoy those scary Specs Draco Meteors

EDIT: And from what I've seen so far, a lot of people seem to be excited about Sazando's great synergy with Shanderaa, who resist every attack besides rock IIRC. So I guess there's still hope?

Man this guy is cool, the only thing holding him back really is base 98 speed, and his weakness to fighting moves, mainly Close Combat. Other than that, I can see this guy being a very potent sweeper overall with his bulk. Based on his own merits, this guy is basically gonna be the swiss army knife of the Dragons in OU, it can handle multiple roles, be it physical sweeping, special sweeping, mix sweeping, scouting, slight support.

Though Salamence does prove to be competition with it's higher speed, higher physical attack and access to Dragon Dance. Latias maybe if it doesn't get banned to ubers, since it can carry trick, and be supportive with wish or heal itself with Recover.

Still I'd like to see how it hold up in the metagame.

my view has been that Sazando has been receiving way to much love. It is being haled as a better latias with higher special attack and lack of a pursuit weakness. While thils is true it does lack Draco meteor, is weak to Mach punch and lacks the great special defense that latias so often used to get in. Not only this but it's speed is a major factor. one of the great things that made specs-as a KILL button was the fact that you had very little chance to outspeed it. Additionally it appears to be walled by both Heatran and Tyranitar at first look. so in short Sazando will be forced to either be outspeed or overpowered by latias (and if I'm correct Latios is starting out this generation in OU with both higher speed and power, with surf, and draco meteor) physically Sazando is just outclassed by a number of things.

Hype? All someone did was mention the possibility and then someone immediately said it was being hyped. How can it go from being said once and then challenged to being hyped?

my view has been that Sazando has been receiving way to much love. It is being haled as a better latias with higher special attack and lack of a pursuit weakness. While thils is true it does lack Draco meteor, is weak to Mach punch and lacks the great special defense that latias so often used to get in.
Saszando has Draco Meteor.

Last I checked it was only the oaths and the Hyper Beam stuff up for tutor this gen. I think it will make all the matter to Sazando's usage (it'll undoubtedly be OU no duh) but I for see lower usage until the latis leave assuming they will. It's not terribly hyped like Ononokusu (who definitely deserves it) but I feel it is receiving a little more hype than it deserves Sazando is.

Sazando does get Draco Meteor, since all Dragons can get taught by the Gen 5 move tutor [edit: I haven't confirmed this through someone I trust actually playing the game, but lots of "sources" on the internet say there are 7 tutors -- oaths, elemental hyper beams, DM). It also has Surf through HM03 and Earthquake through TM26, which makes the claim that Heatran/Tyranitar easily wall Sazando dubious at best. LO Earthquake with 0 Atk EVs OHKOes Heatran and 2HKOes Tyranitar. The most convincing arguments against Sazando are that it is slower than both Salamence / Latias, and is harder to switch in. However, 92/90/90 defenses aren't shabby by any means, and Sazando gets some pretty cool resistance combinations -- Electric/Water and Electric/Ghost and Water/Ghost, not to mention Levitate.

It's kind of hard to figure out a set for it, though, before we even have a semblance of a metagame... it has a ton of very viable moves, including Draco Meteor, Outrage, Earthquake, Surf, Dark Pulse, Fire Blast, Pursuit, and U-turn. Dropping any one of these moves means different Pokemon start to give it problems, which is why knowing what Pokemon it will need to commonly face is sort of necessary to make a set.

I don't think a lot of you realise how much of a difference that extra 15 base special attack over Mence/Latias makes in conjunction with Cheer Up. His Draco Meteors are almost as powerful as Latios', with an actual fire move, the ability to go mixed and a little more physical bulk in exchange for some special bulk and speed. His lack of Pursuit weakness also makes him a better pure Scarfer/Specs user then either Lati ever would. Imo the only thing potentially holding this thing back from top tier OU is the fact that Mence, Chomp and co all outspeed him but he's still a pretty ridiculous threat that shouldn't be underestimated.
Yes, I am quite ignorant to stats, seeing that I’ve been out of competitive for a couple years now. Thank you for the enlightenment.

This has also placed an increased awareness on the well stat distribution of Sazando. I was in love with it, but it is inaccurate to pass such certain judgment just yet. But by a 4th gen viewpoint he is definitely top tier.

And I do see him potentially destroying walls with his stats and resistances.

With cheer up, Sazando can only use either surf or flamethrower—it is a choice between steels, and Heatran/Empoleon.
Still, I am interested to see how Sazando works in a real battle. Ideally, you set up as they switch. You hit their “counter” they hit back and fail to OHKO. You eliminate the counter..but would be then revenged. (This is just a speculation, please don’t jump down on it. It is a possible scenario out of many. It is likely Sazando will last longer than that).

LOL. I think Hydragen is a great name in addition to THAT.

Anyway. I was a bit disappointed when I saw this guy's stats. They seem to be the most balanced out of all the 600'ers. I'd rather he had clear strength and weaknesses then balance. Like Salamence. Lol.

Looks to me like Sazando might be more like Dragonite or Metagross in popularity. OU for sure, yeah. Just packing so much in sheer stats. But I just don't see anything that sticks out at first glance like Salamence's 135/110/100. And that 98 speed is just......whatever.

Still. No 4x Ice weakness, Levitate, Pursuit resistance and the strongest non-uber Draco Meteor. Uh. I guess besides Latios. Since he is being unbanned for awhile?

Oh well. This guy is way too cool.

This guy will be the perfect Specs user. Draco Meteor way more powerful than Salamence/Latias, and doesn't have a SR-weak or Pursuit-weak that the other two have.

His defensive stats aren't bad either. Just get in and click Draco Meteor off 383 SpAtk + Specs. I think I'd run Modest over Timid because you have less than 100 base speed so it will be a lost cause in many cases. You can't have too much special attack when spamming DM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)