1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 1 Imma WHIP you!!!

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by rokman, Jun 15, 2007.

1. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel

What about G/S/C Gym leaders?
  2. Gregar

Gregar

wowowow, koga's arbok got cut up? never read that, what game? red/blue? what sprite tells you that, and where, gotta read that!

OMG, RBY really is EVIL! never noticed that, i was like 10 back then, but this is freaky, all those whips, surge killing people with raichu(mega kick!), TR killing marowaks, baby cubone's WEARING THEIR MOM'S SKULLS???(genocide!), trainers with whips, ghost scaring you, genetic modification, mew(really small cute poke) giving birth to mewtwo, roughly 6 times it's size(mew being 1'04" and mewtwo 6'07")

jeez, nintendo, that's quite a big difference, going from jumping shrooms on the head, to killing poke's with people and vice versa...
  3. Venetian Masque

Venetian Masque

As he mentioned in the second sentence, Koga's Arbok was severed in half in the manga, not in-game.

And hell yes, R/B/Y was terribly morbid. If you listened to Viridian Forest's/Seafoam Island's background music for a while, it could get pretty creepy. Heck, even the unintentional encounters of Missingno. scared me shitless seeing such glitchy Pokemon.
  4. PypeHype

PypeHype

I'll agree that RBY is a darker game but...

cubones wore their mom's skulls because cubone misses its mother

and

Mewtwo was genetically enginered from mew. Mew did not physically give birth to Mewtwo.
  5. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

I agree with the whole RB was the darker game, but does anyone think the graphics somewhat add to it? It's definitely not as happy and colorful as subsequent games were, although it WAS the GB era. It's hard to explain, but it definitely adds to it to me.

And to the Mewtwo thing, he was almost shot to death in the radio drama released with the first movie in Japan. Actually, he was, but he brought himself back to life. =o Just a little contribution. And I've seen the manga.

Another observation: Almost all of the older trainer sprites have angry/evil faces or frowns. Now in D/P, they look as happy as if they've gone acid tripping. Again. x_x
  6. Kristy Haruka

Kristy Haruka

I think its because whips are old fashioned and so is the game...
  7. Fairy

Fairy

I think we should be keeping in mind how uncontroversial things were even five years ago. Pokemon has existed for ten years, of course Green, Blue, and Red versions aren't going to be as up-tight as the newer generation, Satoshi Tajiri, Ken Sugimori, and the gang didn't have to fret about things being perfect without stirring up the oh-so popular controversy nowadays. It's only obvious as Pokemon progressed that it'd become more child-friendly, since that's how most of the franchise ended up: Directed for children. It'd be labeled inconsiderate, bad, and right-out wrong for kids if they continued in the direction of how the manga was. Last I recall, though, the manga doesn't seem directed at all towards children, so I'd put it in a teenaged label.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)