1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 1 Imma WHIP you!!!

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by rokman, Jun 15, 2007.

1. rokman

rokman

[​IMG]

Did no one else find it strange, as a child, to play Red/Blue and see so many trainers with whips? I mean, as a child, I thought it was morbid! I understould why they whipped their pokemon, but I didn't understand why everyone had to be evil!

I figured atleast most of the trainers wouldn't be cruel to their pokemon... becuase, the TV Show made everyone jacked up on happy pills. What else would I of expected? OK, there was like ONE guy with a whip. He whipped his Sandshrew to make it work harder.

I asked my friend about this earlier, he said he doesn't even remember the whip carrying trainers as a child!

Still, no one noticed that the whole WHIP thing just VANISHED over time?
  2. Big Bayou

Big Bayou

Man, the whips were cool. Since R/B, there has only been ONE trainer sprite with a whip- the FR/LG Tamer.

[​IMG]
  3. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

The RBY pokemon world is significantly darker than subsequent games and FAR darker than the anime. And all the games have pokedex entries that hint towards something significantly darker than what appears on the surface of the world.

In any case, I assume the games have gotten more censored over time as they gained attention. This kind of pissed me off in FR/LG (GAMER?!?), but meh...there's your answer.

The only whip-trainer that surprised me was Sabrina -- it doesn't seem fitting for her.
  4. Suikama

Suikama

Is that candy in his other hand?
  5. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I never understood (and still don't) how the female Cooltrainer works. I used to think she's whipping her hair or something, and for some reason it seems she has three arms.

I also don't get why the male Cooltrainer can fly.
  6. majesty

majesty

Amazing.

If you look at the cueball from this gen you'll notice he has what appears to be a can covering his unit. What's that shaft-like thing dipping into it?
  7. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Lol, yea, RBY is sinister and not as censored as the subsequent series...anyone remember the Mt. Moon?

Picnic Girl: Hey, what are you trying to do in the dark?! or something like that
  8. Suikama

Suikama

And of course who can forget the Marowak that was murdered by team rocket.
  9. Big Bayou

Big Bayou

I loved the imagery of "war pokemon" given by Lt. Surge in his pre-battle speech.

"Pokemon saved my life during the war. They shocked my enemies into submission!"
  10. blackshellbowser

blackshellbowser

If I am not mistaken, the log files of Mew/Mewtwo in Cinnabar Island kind of had a dark touch to it.

Plus, ..."horrific gene splicing"...kinda brought a shudder the first time I ever read the entry of Mewtwo.
  11. Parasitepaladin

Parasitepaladin

I miss the gambler trainer!

and yes, thats a lot of whips...
  12. Great Sage

Great Sage

Yeah, the R/B sprites weren't too great, as evidenced by Machop looking like a gingerbread man. I think that the whips were used to control Pokemon before this whole friendship thing started.
  13. Parasitepaladin

Parasitepaladin

I agree with the whole controlling pokemon thing....
    and
    but look at Blaines sprite....he looks like a alien...now thats bad D:
  14. majesty

majesty

The 1st gary, beside lance, looks like another unrequired pre evolution...this time of the whole "emo" fad.
  15. blackshellbowser

blackshellbowser

the way brock is shaded...he looks like some guy who just came from hell or something...I dunno.
  16. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Wow I never realized this, RBY was pretty damn dark. Murders, whips, and other random ass stuff. Pokemon has really become kid friendly in the other generations. Surprised there weren't more lawsuits and complaints back then.
  17. Arceus

Arceus

Well, when you think about it, RBY was the generation whose main legendary Pokemon was Mewtwo, who was essentially a tortured animal whose genes were recombined over and over again in "horrific experiments." In Pokemon Gold and Silver the main legendaries were essentially guardians, and in Ruby and Sapphire they were creators. In this generation (Diamond and Pearl), they're deities. Mewtwo, however, stands out as an essentially violent, battered Pokemon. Mewtwo needs love.
  18. Sleep

Sleep

Oak's mouth makes him look like a robot. :P

Also, I think those are shades that Blaine is wearing...
    Also also, one thing I never got about the Bikers was why they had motorcycles on Bicycle Road. Just a thought.
  19. 133tSneasel

133tSneasel

What does that Channeler have in hand? is that a whip or a fan? or something else?

doesn't want to know why cube-ball has a cup in the "special" place
  20. Vineon

Vineon Fleurdelysé
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

lol

even the bug catchers and campers look evil

didnt notice that when I first played the game.
  21. Mike hawk

Mike hawk

LOL!. i guess the whip trainers had poor control over their pokemon, they probaly did'nt have enough badges.
  22. Sir Spanky

Sir Spanky

The only 'cutsie' sprite out of that whole lot is the burglar (from cinnebar) lol. Giovanni looks sooo evil .-.
  23. Andren

Andren

I love Mewtwo!!!

Seriously, I counted atleast 9 sprites in there with whips...That's animal abuse.
  24. havoc

havoc pottlepalooza
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

if you lose a battle, don't you black out and wake up with half of your money?
  25. spies

spies

They do really seem evil lol, look at that gentleman dude

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)