In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigilyph is rare in Resort Desert; I'd say spending 30 minutes finding one is hardly efficient. When you DO have to go through Resort Desert/Ancient Castle anyway you would be seeing stuff like LV 34 wild Krookodiles and Cofagrigus.

I'd hardly say 5 minutes.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've played through the game twice, and finiding Sigilyph doesn't seem to be actually difficult. Spend a few minutes, and you can pick up your powerhouse ready to roll.

I guess you were lucky.

Sigilyph has a 10% appearance rate in Resort Desert. The two times I actually went there(one for storyline, one for Ulgamoth), I didn't even find one. And interestingly I found a shitload of Marakacchis(cactusmon). >_>

Drilbur wasn't hard to get at all. Everyime there was dust moving around in a cave, it was almost always drilbur.

Should I use Simisear, Darmanitan or Victini as my fire type?
Darmanitan. Use Pansear/Simisear then replace it with Darumaka/Darmanitan. Victini is good but its Psychic-type hurts it way too much due the abundance of powerful Dark-type Pokemon in the game (read: Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile and Scraggy/Scrafty).

Victini is a perfectly solid choice. It has a massive movepool, is fully capable of using and abusing low-accuracy moves thanks to its ability, amazing stats when you get it that hold up throughout, and can go mixed - which is useful ingame. I never found its Psychic type to be a hindrance, and if nothing else I really was thankful for its fighting resistance. Plus the biggest reason Psychic types suck competitively is Pursuit, which isn't an issue because a.) its rare, and b.) who switches ingame? Fire Blast, Thunder, Focus Blast, and a psychic attack are all easily available and all you need.

Which isn't to say Darmanitan is a bad choice - because he's not. That attack is wonderful and he's fast enough to use it. But ingame I prefer duotype Pokemon for one thing, and Darmanitan is pretty fragile for another.

What makes the Vanilla series so low?
They have Ice Beam, Mirror Shot, Avalanche to match its relatively slow speed coming off decent attack, or Base 90 Uproar for 2-5 turns coming off a 115 Sp Atk, and Mirror Coat.
Ice Steel and Normal has good coverage only resisted by Chandelure and Heatran and also Mirror Coat.

Victini is a perfectly solid choice. It has a massive movepool, is fully capable of using and abusing low-accuracy moves thanks to its ability, amazing stats when you get it that hold up throughout, and can go mixed - which is useful ingame. I never found its Psychic type to be a hindrance, and if nothing else I really was thankful for its fighting resistance. Plus the biggest reason Psychic types suck competitively is Pursuit, which isn't an issue because a.) its rare, and b.) who switches ingame? Fire Blast, Thunder, Focus Blast, and a psychic attack are all easily available and all you need.

Which isn't to say Darmanitan is a bad choice - because he's not. That attack is wonderful and he's fast enough to use it. But ingame I prefer duotype Pokemon for one thing, and Darmanitan is pretty fragile for another.
I'm swaying towards Victini, with the event he seems to come early and easily, would you agree that he is easy to obtain?

I was taking the approach that the OP took and saying that there is no guarantee that Victini is available to a given player. Victini is powerful and completely viable but as I said before, I believe its Psychic-type hinders it and added to the fact that it may well not be available because, let's be honest,not everyone will buy the game within the window that it is available. This is why Darumaka/Darmanitan is my general recommendation for an in-game Fire-type outside of Tepig/Pignite/Emboar.

breh

強いだね
What makes the Vanilla series so low?
They have Ice Beam, Mirror Shot, Avalanche to match its relatively slow speed coming off decent attack, or Base 90 Uproar for 2-5 turns coming off a 115 Sp Atk, and Mirror Coat.
Ice Steel and Normal has good coverage only resisted by Chandelure and Heatran and also Mirror Coat.
Because ice is a horrible defensive type, I guess.

They do admittedly rape the gym leader though.

The Ice Cream cones come a bit late (after the fourth gym) and need some babying. Besides that, their movepool is somehow shallow, it's definitely workable with ice beam, mirror shot (or whatever it learns), and uproar.

breh

強いだね
The Ice Cream cones come a bit late (after the fourth gym) and need some babying. Besides that, their movepool is somehow shallow, it's definitely workable with ice beam, mirror shot (or whatever it learns), and uproar.
But it's super effective or walls every single gym leader from then on. Getting a super-effective hit on Iris/Drayden is nice too.

If found at a low level, it has Icy wind and Avalance as start moves, which is cool; if found at a high level it's 6 levels away from evolution and ice beam.

Why is Stunfisk at the bottom? It really does not seem so bad; pretty good HP, not too bad defenses and special attack. Mud Bomb, Dischage, Thunderbolt, Surf/Scald, Sludge Bomb (on the route you get it, no less!). It's attack is kind of average and it has abysmal speed, but it doesn't seem bottom tier bad, even if it is found on Route 8.

Yeah but Ice types dominate in game, the babying is only like 5-6 levels anyways and he would rape 3/4 of the last 4 gyms just by his typing, and Mirror shot abuses the Ice guy, and with those 3 moves it hits SE on 3 of the E4's pokes, 3 of N's Pokes SE and all but one for neutral in Black (2 in White), and the Team Plasma leader's Hydreigon.

breh

強いだね
Why is Stunfisk at the bottom? It really does not seem so bad; pretty good HP, not too bad defenses and special attack. Mud Bomb, Dischage, Thunderbolt, Surf/Scald, Sludge Bomb (on the route you get it, no less!). It's attack is kind of average and it has abysmal speed, but it doesn't seem bottom tier bad, even if it is found on Route 8.
It comes late, right after or before the ice (7th) gym leader iirc. It's slow also.

Yeah but Ice types dominate in game, the babying is only like 5-6 levels anyways and he would rape 3/4 of the last 4 gyms just by his typing, and Mirror shot abuses the Ice guy, and with those 3 moves it hits SE on 3 of the E4's pokes, 3 of N's Pokes SE and all but one for neutral in Black (2 in White), and the Team Plasma leader's Hydreigon.
If you fail to OHKO Hydreigon, Focus Blast will obliterate you, unless ironically, it misses. It's gonna kill you unless it doesnt.

It comes late, right after or before the ice (7th) gym leader iirc. It's slow also.
But if lateness was the big factor, why are Kojofu, Druggidon, and a few others higher than it?
I mean I think we could at least agree it's better than, say, Pidove or Patrat.

I don't know, it just really, really, doesn't seem bottom tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)