japanese earthquake and tsunami

Last I heard, the nuclear reactor problem was resolved with the release of some of the cooling gas. The gas was slightly radioactive, but releasing it allowed the core to be cooled to safe levels.

As for the US West Coast, two people in California died when they were trying to watch the tsunami and were swept away. Here in Oregon, though, the tsunami was weak.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My prayers go out to everyone affected by the earthquake as well as Japan as a whole. Hopefully they can pull their economy together so no big losses will be suffered, and that the families who lost their homes or livelihood will find good fortune in the near future.

May those killed rest in peace. :'(

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really bad news to wake up to x.x I spent my breakfast going through a thread in a forum I go to with a decent amount of Japanese users looking for posts from people I recognized to know they were okay. Really scary seeing people post about not being able to reach their loved ones due to wireless outages or whatnot.

Glad to know our users are okay so far. Hope Jaroda checks in soon.

The tsunami here in California was wimpy as well (oregon not japan O.o), except in half moon bay where the harbor was wrecked. Beyond half moon and causing some mud, nothing happened here. Also, my condolences for japan. Finally, nintedo wifi is wrecked here most likely because nintendo had to shut down severs (since most of the nuclear power plants were shut off.)

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The nuclear reactors are my biggest fear. If something were to go horribly wrong, the consequences could be bigger than Chernobyl.
people should chill out about the nuclear reactors. everyone harks back to chernobyl but the truth is that we've learnt a hell of a lot about not making nuclear reactors blow up, and chernobyl was caused by employee incompetence iirc. the Japanese aren't stupid: I'm sure they've considered tsunamis in the safety protocols regarding nuclear reactors

Almost everyone in this thread, especially mods have trolled users at some point, but to see how we are all hoping for the best (and awaiting for Jaroda to report in)...makes me happy. I earnestly hope Japanese people can return to their normal lives soon. May the downed ones rest in peace. u_u

Incidents like this is regrettable, I can't believe that the northeast shore line of Japan has just virtually disintegrated in minutes.

I hope that some sort of relief fund would be set up soon. And to my fellow smogon members in Japan, I wish that you are all safe!

Redcross page

"Those who want to help can go to www.redcross.org and donate to Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami. People can also text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation to help those affected by the earthquake in Japan and tsunami throughout the Pacific."

Posting in case anyone wanted to donate but didn't know how.

Yeah really must suck to be that guy in SF who died filming the tsunami. Anyways, rest in peace to those who've passed away, and I'm really glad that nobody I knew in Japan was killed.

And as for the 2 people watching a tsunami in California, they really had it coming.
It may have been stupid for them to do that, but is it really appropriate to say they deserved it?

I'm not intentionally trying to call you out, but rather preemptively stop further comments like this.

people should chill out about the nuclear reactors. everyone harks back to chernobyl but the truth is that we've learnt a hell of a lot about not making nuclear reactors blow up, and chernobyl was caused by employee incompetence iirc. the Japanese aren't stupid: I'm sure they've considered tsunamis in the safety protocols regarding nuclear reactors
Arch said:
If something were to go horribly wrong.
Just saying if. Don't rape me over it. D:

Really glad to see Chou's okay. :) And Jaroda too, he's posted on his comments to say he's alright.

This is just an awful situation. I'm watching the news and, is it Fukashima?, is now in a "critical emergency" situation, and a meltdown is possible..

Yesterday's news

Sorry bout the outdated link but it was the only info I read about it when I heard yesterday. 26 were dead yesterday from the article but now the death toll reaches 400+, some sites claiming 1000. Heart goes out to those living in Japan as well as those affected by the earthquake

I was in Shibuya when the quake hit. Never seen buildings wobble like that before. You know it's serious when earthquake-jaded Japanese people around you are yelling, "Kowai!" and are visibly disturbed.

Tokyo seems to be fine, though, the worst of it being major inconveniences with the trains being out of commission most of yesterday. I had to walk about two hours to get home, and I know some people were stranded at stations overnight.

Sucks for the northeast and Miyagi prefecture. I hope aid workers can reach victims in time.

I can't even imagine a puny earthquake, much less an 8.9.. I'm fortunate to live where I do, and have no idea how these people are feeling. The only thing my area gets are tornadoes and hurricanes (which are still pretty scary..). Not friggen volcanoes and tsunamis and earthquakes.. It's like, I read that people have built a major city AT THE BASE OF MOUNT VESUVIUS. I don't get it haha..

I plan to donate to help, but I just wish there was more I could do..

Yeah, glad Chou is okay.
I hope Jaroda is okay too.

8.9 is fucking massive.
What was the magnitude for the one in Haiti?
the haitian earthquake was a 7.0, which isn't even close to this magnitude

as far as the nuclear plants go the most dangerous thing that will probably happen will be some leakage from the reactors getting into the immediate area but nothing widespread like you guys seem to think

it's not going to 'blow the fuck up' like i've been hearing

and yeah like cookie said they are a lot more well equipped for this, japan sits right in the middle of three plates and they've had so many earthquakes in the past century it's ridiculous

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was having lunch yesterday when my grandma suddenly yelled, and then I saw the whole thing on TV.

It was horrible, heart and best wishes go out to all the people there, glad Chou's ok.

The plant at Fukashima experienced an "explosion" and there's white smoke rising out of one of the reactors.

We be believing the Mayans now?
really makes you think...

shit this really dwarfs both of nz's latest quakes - we didn't have tsunamis and this is probably bigger than both of ours combined and it was bad enough here... really feel sorry for the japanese, but i'm just glad that they're so earthquake savvy as otherwise the death toll would be much larger from buildings and what not. the footage so far has just been terrible, i mean i watched a tsunami wash ashore and do god knows what.

Well, I thought about this, and if radiation gets out of control, wont that mean, a lot of sea creatures will die, and that a lot of ocean will get polluted.
Well what goes around comes around I guess
I feel extremely sorry for those who died

Yeah, I heard about this this morning, when I was treated by a front page picture of what was Natori.

HOLY SHIT.

Glad to see Chou is alright, but I'm sure we have other members who live in Japan.

Also I think I have family there right now, come to think of it. Damnit, why does my family have to be spread over so many countries.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
The plant at Fukashima experienced an "explosion" and there's white smoke rising out of one of the reactors.
Japanese government is saying explosion was unrelated to the reactor. Which is relieving.
Apparently it started melting though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)