Jarardo's Drawings

from what i can see you seem to be struggling with dynamic and basic anatomy of figures you are drawing. Always try and avoid line work when possible, especially with the sharpies. Concentrate on studying real forms of life before diving headfirst into the cartoon realm. You hindered yourself by adapting to this sort of western cartoon style. All the great masters of comics made sure to know actual human anatomy before attempting to exaggerate it.

"oh but this is pokemon it can be whatever". Just throw out that logic right now before you reply. Everything, even pokemon, have a predestined real life creature or object. You should study the thing the pokemon is based off of, and manipulate that onto the canvas. Also, i would completely drop the digital work until you get a handle of the color theory and how to break down complex figures into simple shapes.

Try and do at least one still life every week in your free time. In a year you will be astonished at how horrible your previous work was, and become infinitely more confident in your artwork now and to the future

Or he can stay with this thing called style. You know, how some people like cartoon and the cartoony style of drawings, as opposed to ultra-realism. And they like nice block shading as it cna be very expressive. And some people must like it because this thread has 56 luvdiscs?

Anyway Jarardo, love the new stuff, especially the Empoleon. Great to see the transition back to digital going well! =D

Or he can stay with this thing called style. You know, how some people like cartoon and the cartoony style of drawings, as opposed to ultra-realism. And they like nice block shading as it cna be very expressive. And some people must like it because this thread has 56 luvdiscs?

Anyway Jarardo, love the new stuff, especially the Empoleon. Great to see the transition back to digital going well! =D
You dont seem to understand. He has not developed a style. Every time i hear someone say its because of their style, i want to punch them.

His images are not as much expressive as badly warped onto a digital canvas. People "liking" something does not mean it is good. You cannot go diving straight into cartoons without first properly taking care of the fundamentals of art. He will not get any better with the way he is approaching it now.

This is NOT an insult to him. You seem to think i was mocking him or something. If he wants to get better quicker, he needs to study from life and references. He needs to *steal* those images and apply them to his canvas. Every one who has a passion for art needs to do this. You will NEVER see someone become successful just from drawing cartoons every day. This has never happened and never will happen.

Edit: Are you a friend of his? You realize you are effecting his progress by ass patting him and telling him its okay?

I cannot imagine someone who would do this to their friend. As an artist i expect to be critiqued at every angle, postive negative, all of it. I would never accept the reasoning that "its my style so its okay to not get better" and i would be very insulted if a friend told me that

@PerfectMetapod: I understand what you are trying to say about my art being "western cartoon" but that's just it. That's what i'm going for! I have no actual intentions of being in the comic universe like DC or Marvel but rather I'm trying to go into animation. I'll be going to college in like a week or two so i'll be learning different styles and I'm sure realism will be one of them and i welcome the challenge. I am never completely satisfied with my work so I am always pushing forward and trying new things because like you said, that's how an artist grows. It wouldn't hurt to retouch the fundamentals as it's always good to take any step to better one's work. The anatomy thing has always been something I've been struggling with as I tend to draw hands bigger than they need to be and legs often look odd. I'm sure there are other inconsistencies, but those are ones that stick out to me. I've also beaten myself over rushing works for no reason. Those are things that I need to improve and you are not in the wrong for pointing those out. I wouldn't be able to improve at all if i didn't have the heart to take criticism. Thank you for your time.

@PerfectMetapod: I understand what you are trying to say about my art being "western cartoon" but that's just it. That's what i'm going for! I have no actual intentions of being in the comic universe like DC or Marvel but rather I'm trying to go into animation. I'll be going to college in like a week or two so i'll be learning different styles and I'm sure realism will be one of them and i welcome the challenge. I am never completely satisfied with my work so I am always pushing forward and trying new things because like you said, that's how an artist grows. It wouldn't hurt to retouch the fundamentals as it's always good to take any step to better one's work. The anatomy thing has always been something I've been struggling with as I tend to draw hands bigger than they need to be and legs often look odd. I'm sure there are other inconsistencies, but those are ones that stick out to me. I've also beaten myself over rushing works for no reason. Those are things that I need to improve and you are not in the wrong for pointing those out. I wouldn't be able to improve at all if i didn't have the heart to take criticism. Thank you for your time.
right now my honest to god hope is that you lay off the digital medium and go back to the basics

I made the mistake you are making way back in '08. I decided i can go ahead in art without first grasping the basic pencil technique. To this day i wonder how much greater i would be if i had put down that fucking tablet and continued to draw in traditional mediums.

I sort of take this very seriously because i can see now that if you do as you were guided, you will be SO much better than you are now. Trust me when i say that there are so many leaps you can make if you do the right thing for yourself

This is what i am talking about. I use to draw like this. It almost frightens me that i used to call this acceptable work. I am incredibly lucky i did not continue to draw only with a tablet. I hate seeing intelligent people come to their eventual downfall because they did not drop and learn

I see what you mean. Color theory is not my strong suit. that's why i tried to get into digital again to have easier access to color. With line art however, I'm not a total novice as I build upon basic sketches to get the desired results:
These are from my last art class I took. (I should have taken more but i got into this "oh I'm gonna go 3d" and take computer classes instead. that was a mistake)

(sorry for the camera pics; they were too big for my scanner)
And I did not abandon it in the recent digital art I did (although it is admittedly lax):
(slight mess up in layers on the second step)

Here's a pencil one i did today of the basic human form:

I couldn't find my 4H or ebony so it's just #2 pencil.
It's a bit asymmetrical and the legs need work.
The point I'm making is that i have experience in pencil work and breaking down a subject into basic shapes but I do need to improve.
I should put more effort into my pokemon drawings but I mostly considered them as "practice" for my more original ideas. It seems that this may have also hindered my skills in some ways.
Traditional media will not be abandoned either as my first semester classes will be primarily basics (most importantly color) that need fine tuned.
Thank you for your critique. You have fine work yourself and have plethora of knowledge in the art field that I hope to attain some day.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's a pencil one i did today of the basic human form:

I couldn't find my 4H or ebony so it's just #2 pencil.
It's a bit asymmetrical and the legs need work..
The legs are usually tricky to get right. Usually the arms become longer in comparison, but it seems to be the other way around this time. It can also be mentioned that the head can be bigger, and that his stomach and hips can be wider (being a man and all). That's some totally sweet muscles though, yo.

Or he can stay with this thing called style.
You dont seem to understand. He has not developed a style. Every time i hear someone say its because of their style, i want to punch them.
Now now, let's not take it to our fists. This discussion will have to escalate far further than that before fists would become a suitable option!

First of all, styles comes with every image. It is impossible to create one without it, as styles consists of the techniques, features and methods used by the artist. Everyone and anyone has the right to draw in whatever style they want, but the style can be always be objectively reviewed and changed. So there's that.

If he wants to get better quicker, he needs to study from life and references. He needs to *steal* those images and apply them to his canvas. Every one who has a passion for art needs to do this.
This is one of your better parts. I was a bit reluctant myself to start sketching with shapes before starting with the details, but it along with practising and studying anatomy did make a significant improvement o my art. Using other images and styles as reference isn't to be ashamed, even tracing can be of use, although only for practise.

To study and to practise is a somewhat obvious advice, but there are surprisingly many who won't make the effort of doing it. I personally have my own areas to improve, so I might go ahead and do that. Or later. Procrastination has gotten the best of me.

Always try and avoid line work when possible, especially with the sharpies. Concentrate on studying real forms of life before diving headfirst into the cartoon realm. You hindered yourself by adapting to this sort of western cartoon style.
This, however, is a personal preference of yours, and should be treated as such. Some start out with realism and later start delving into simplier modes of art, while others make the opposite route. I won't start a discussion revoling around the definition of "art", that topic s a slippery slope into an abstract debate swamp, but there is no optimal art style simply because we all have different preferences and goals as to how to express ourselves.

right now my honest to god hope is that you lay off the digital medium and go back to the basics

I made the mistake you are making way back in '08. I decided i can go ahead in art without first grasping the basic pencil technique. To this day i wonder how much greater i would be if i had put down that fucking tablet and continued to draw in traditional mediums.
Good of you to realise the actual motive behind your insistent posts, besides the usual notion of helping someone else improve. Don't push your beliefs onto others, and accept that all artists have to follow their own path. If your advice ultimately helped Jarardo to progress faster, then that's a good thing, but only because he chose to, and not because he was told.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah im just gonna go ahead and say that after this please stop bickering over this in this thread

if you want to take it over pm that's fine but continuing this conversation (read: argument) in this thread can stop now

Hey jarardo! Very good humans! Wish I could do them as well as you can. Here's a challenge though. Barry and his Empoleon! :D And if you don't do it, then Barry's gonna fine you 1,000,000 dollars. Just kidding.

Guess whose back

Yeah starting to get more comfortable with balancing time and feeling like doing some more poke art and battling. You can think this little guy's ability being released on dream world for drawing me back here. I'm not sure if I'll have time for requests though. Nothing much left to say then that so yeah.

You know Jarardo's back when a Sableye is farting Will-o-Wisps.

Anyway, the piece is really nice and made me laugh when I saw it. Keep it up, Jarardo!

Due to lack of scanner availability, I'll probably be updating just once a week depending on the amount I scan sundays.
Here's a celebi!

Playing around with color more. Loosely followed Nasty's painting tutorial but probably should have followed more carefully.

Regrettably, I cannot. I lost the record I kept of when I caught teammates and when they died. There are some deaths and captures that I know really well but the rest of them are a big blur. I apologize :(

..... What if someone Oh, I don't know say me for example kept track for you? It wouldn't be that much of a hastle for me. Just pm me when you are gonna make a capture and I'll look into it to see if you caught it already.

Sorry, the actual challenge was concluded a while ago and I kept a record of what had happened. I have lost that record and have reset the cartridge twice since then. :/ I appreciate the gesture though. I'm going to try to get some more art up soon.

:O well perhaps I can convince you to tell me if you completed the challenge or got wiped? Also perhaps if you manage to survive the team that made it through. (If you remember)

well I died at Elite 4. First one against Marshall. I was kind of handicapped because I only had 5 guys because I thought I had to leave room for Zekrom. The team at that point was around lvl 50 with Dante, Billy the Gurdurr, Archie, Cynthia durant, and Leonard the Chandelure. It might have lasted longer if Archie wasn't Modest natured.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)