Jellicent

I'm surprised I did not read anything about substitute for him. With max hp ev's he gets the 101 hp substutute.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What do you guys think about EVing this to be faster than Politoad? I like switching this into the toad, but I don't like getting hypnosis'd before I can toxic. :/

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone suggested a Taunt Toxic set? I think that could work well and it would help stall to be last pokemon stat uppers like CroCune and stuff. Something like this:

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
252HP/52Def/204SpD
~Boiling Water
~Recover
~Taunt
~Toxic

Just an idea though, might not be that viable due to low speed but it could maybe have some usage... :)

Has anyone suggested a Taunt Toxic set? I think that could work well and it would help stall to be last pokemon stat uppers like CroCune and stuff. Something like this:

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
252HP/52Def/204SpD
~Boiling Water
~Recover
~Taunt
~Toxic

Just an idea though, might not be that viable due to low speed but it could maybe have some usage... :)
I use that set as well. But you have to be careful with Guts users.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
@dino: If this set is meant to be on a stall team, I'd use Surf over Boiling Water, as stall teams most likely have Toxic Spikes up. Guts users are problems as well.

@dino: If this set is meant to be on a stall team, I'd use Surf over Boiling Water, as stall teams most likely have Toxic Spikes up. Guts users are problems as well.
Water absorbtion abilities and Milotic. I'd rather support with Spikes and Stealth Rock.

What sort of set works for/with Acid Armor?

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
252HP/52Def/204SpD
~Boiling Water
~Recover
~Taunt
~Toxic

I used this as soon as I learned Burungeru got Taunt back in October, lol. I had a different EV spread but yeah it's a very good set.

Even max sp.def and max hp , burunkeru can't survive against 2 shanderaa's shadow ball it does 99%-101% KO with SR
That is why Substitute is so important. With his huge Spdef and Hp along with Water Absorb, he causes a lot of switches. Getting the Sub up means that Burunga wins the battle and can Recover off the damage.

Hell, with a sub up Burunga even beats Roobishin through Toxic Stall and a BO.

If both are put into play the same time and the opposing Roobishin Bulk Ups, thanks to Substitute you win.

Since, Sub can allow Burunga to beat out his main counters, I think it is worth a talk.

Maybe it's just me, but I like playing Burungeru like a bulky water rather than a bulky ghost. I run 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD, which nets me 404 HP / 262 Def / 247 SpD. This is still very bulky and it has access to Will-O-Wisp + Recover, unlike say Suicune or Swampert. It suffers a bit against Starmie, but it has an easier time in this metagame imo.

Maybe it's just me, but I like playing Burungeru like a bulky water rather than a bulky ghost. I run 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD, which nets me 404 HP / 262 Def / 247 SpD. This is still very bulky and it has access to Will-O-Wisp + Recover, unlike say Suicune or Swampert. It suffers a bit against Starmie, but it has an easier time in this metagame imo.
i ran the same set yet i never had problems with starmie surprisingly seeing as tbolt doesnt really OHKO you which can let you shadow ball it to death

Actually as I mentioned a while back Taunt Burungeru needs 44 Spe EVs to outspeed Vaporeon.

Also, Enraikou, why in God's green earth would you keep a BURUNGERU in on a SHANDERAA?

Actually as I mentioned a while back Taunt Burungeru needs 44 Spe EVs to outspeed Vaporeon.

Also, Enraikou, why in God's green earth would you keep a BURUNGERU in on a SHANDERAA?
Because it has Shadow Tag?

Anyway I don't really like Burungeru. I don't see how it threatens any special attackers. Physical attackers can often KO before Burungeru gets burned! Sure, there's BurungNattDeraa which works pretty well, but I find that they fall easily enough to Shed Shell Techniloom (escape from Shanderaa; Shanderaa Overheats only to do ~30% to a Tentacruel). It also KOes the rest of the trio.

I suppose the main thing it has going for itself is its pretty awesome defensive typing (ghost is good in the fighting generation), an awesome ability in Water Absorb which allows it to counter many water types and instant Recovery. Other than that, Tentacruel (in my opinion) is superior, as it uses/absorbs Toxic Spikes for the team, and has a higher SpD stat. It even gets Knock Off to screw over Evo Stone Pokemon!

All in all, I don't find Burungeru as much of a defensive threat as something like Evo Stone Porygon2 (one bulky mofo), Nattorei, Blissey and co.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I agree with this. Starmie is quite rare as it is, and other than that I really don't see the point of going super specially defensive on Burungeru. It's generally a good idea to have balanced defenses on any Pokemon, unless it HAS to survive something specific. Investing nothing in defense makes it weak to Tyranitar, Physical Dragons, and even makes it Pursuit bait for CB Scizor.

Hey this guy is annoying... he is bulky... statusy, and can recover... Any good ideas on counters?

the obvious is starmie although choice starmie still has a problem... it will switch out if it thinks ur using thunderbolt to something like nattorei, but it can also come in on ur choiced hydro pumps and heal itself forcing a switch... even without water absorb, cursed body still shuts it down... so... any ideas?

Edit: so far i got magnezone and life orb starmie as checks... thats all i can think of... this thing is freaking great

Sorry for the gravedig but this poor little octopus has lost it's charm it seems.

While at the beginning, everyone couldn't help but fawn over it's typing, etc., now it seems it has been left in the dust.

Why is this?

Are there still effective sets?

Jellicent is still good with ferrothorn, but the metagame is constantly changing with differnt things taking prominence, im sure you know that at the moment sand is dominant.

Personally I'm in love with its Choice Specs set. I send it out, people send in a "counter" expecting something like Toxic, only to take a Water Spout to the face for a ridiculous amount of damage.

I use it with Water Absorb and Wish support, since losing Recover kinda sucks, but I think it's worth it.

I use the standard Utility Counter set (Scald, Taunt, Recover, Toxic) with 52 Speed EVs to outspeed another Jelli. Cursed Body is the ability of choice because 30% is a good good chance to troll Ferro's Power Whip, Conk's Payback, and random Choiced Dragons. And Jelli is the premier member of my team.

Jellicent hasn't lost any of its shine as far as I'm aware, it's still in the top 30 and still holds the position of being the best spinblocker in the game. In addition to spin blocking it's really tough to take down and counters a lot of threats, including the most common Pokemon in the metagame, Scizor. And of course, the Specs set is just awesome for the lulz.

It has its faults like everything else, but it's still a damn good Pokemon. It isn't likely to go anywhere soon.

Jellicent hasn't lost any of its shine as far as I'm aware, it's still in the top 30 and still holds the position of being the best spinblocker in the game. In addition to spin blocking it's really tough to take down and counters a lot of threats, including the most common Pokemon in the metagame, Scizor. And of course, the Specs set is just awesome for the lulz.

It has its faults like everything else, but it's still a damn good Pokemon. It isn't likely to go anywhere soon.
While jellicent remains good, it simply does not shine like it used to. The majority of its usage came from its awsome synergy with ferrothorn, but now tenta beats it in that role with rain dish, rapid spin ect.
One plus side to using jelly over tenta is that jellicent is a far better stall-breaker and sweep stoper (?).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Specially Defensive Jellicent is the ultimate spinblocker, so it is one of the best ghosts to put in stall teams. Not even LO Starmie can get past her. Also it is a wonderful counter to Volcarona, unlike the physically defensive variant, which gets 2hkoed by a +1 LO FB.

But for some strange reason, i almost never see this set. Maybe it is because people are generally avoiding stall as a whole, or just because they are used to the physically defensive one...

I have seen that set a couple of times and it so damn bulky. Will o wisp covers the physical side for the most part so there is no point in using the physically defensive set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)