KAIZA's Art Learnding Attempts!

(Just in case anyone points it out, yes, the title's intentional)

Ahem...hello everyone! I am KAIZA, a complete stranger who you probably haven't even heard of. And that's a OK, I'm a total unknown, especially around here since I'm a newbie. That said, welcome to my art thread!
I took up drawing as a hobby around high-school, following a small phase when I got the idea of being a manga artist in my head (it happens). Nowadays, I hope to one day become a video game designer and illustrator...but that's just day-dreaming. So, in the meantime, I try to hone my mad skillz as much as I can. While I've been drawing as a hobby for about 6-7 years now, I still believe I have much to learn. Which explains the name of this thread. ^^

Originally, I used to draw a lot with pencil, since I had no idea how to use other techniques. Plus, it was faster for me. I still occasionally doodle in pencil, but after getting a drawing tablet a couple years ago and taking some art classes in college, nowadays I tend to prefer digital, if only because it looks cleaner and my scanner tends to hate me for lineart. I mostly use SAI to draw and color, with Photoshop (which I have some years of experience with) being used for some touch up and effects (With one particular exception, mentioned below).

So, without further ado, if you haven't left already, here's some of my artwork:

(A reference 99% of people won't get)
(Most original villain design, donut steel!)

(Mock-up cover because...because)

(Digital-ized version of an older sketch. Hence the poorly drawn arm.)

(OC. Also, one of my first attempts at using watercolor for my lineart...not sure if worked.)

(Same OC)

(First digital drawing of a Pokemon I made)
(Because her artwork first made me think she was about to fall down)
(A quick sketch originally for a Facebook group thing...but it never happened, so it never got used.)
(Favorite Hoenn Gym Leader! ^^ And yes, her face's kinda wonky in this one...)
(Because Froslass)

Some of it is old, some of it is new, it's a mix and match of my various attempts at getting a consistent style. That, and getting used to digital art. ^^; Anyhow, hope you guys enjoy, and I hope to make even better artwork from here on out! :D

Oh, and here's a small WIP I'm doing for a Photoshop class project:

Will probably post the final version once it gets approved.

I'm especially in love with that little WIP you shared. The shading and the lips are well detailed and real. I would loveeee to see the finished piece :3

I'm especially in love with that little WIP you shared. The shading and the lips are well detailed and real. I would loveeee to see the finished piece :3
Thank you. ^_^
My teacher keeps adding corrections for it, though; so until she's satisfied, posting it will have to wait. ^^;
It won't be more than two weeks, though, since that's the deadline.

So, in the meantime, here's a drawing I did yesterday for Doubt's trade thread:

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Finally took the time to look more closely in this thread. Your most recent logo with Klingklang is very well done, where both the mon, pokeballs and background synergise well. Other favorites include the Korrina and your current WIP for class, really shows how wide your range is when it comes to what image you want to create.

Given your current skill level, you're certainly qualified enough to be one of our approved artists. It doesn't really change anything per see, but if you ever get the urge to contribute to Smogon with some of your art, check out that earlier link. You still have a long way to go if you are to be successful as a professional in this field, but given your progress, this dream of yours may be reality soon enough. So yeah, hope to see more of your stuff! If you ever feel like chatting with our community in real time, drop by our IRC channel #smeargle or the Art Room over at Pokemon Showdown. Welcome to Smogon!

Finally took the time to look more closely in this thread. Your most recent logo with Klingklang is very well done, where both the mon, pokeballs and background synergise well. Other favorites include the Korrina and your current WIP for class, really shows how wide your range is when it comes to what image you want to create.

Given your current skill level, you're certainly qualified enough to be one of our approved artists. It doesn't really change anything per see, but if you ever get the urge to contribute to Smogon with some of your art, check out that earlier link. You still have a long way to go if you are to be successful as a professional in this field, but given your progress, this dream of yours may be reality soon enough. So yeah, hope to see more of your stuff! If you ever feel like chatting with our community in real time, drop by our IRC channel #smeargle or the Art Room over at Pokemon Showdown. Welcome to Smogon!
Thank you so much for the feedback. ^^
I understand there's still a lot for me to learn, and no matter how much I improve, there's always more room for improvement. Thanks for the encouragement, and I hope not to disappoint!

And I'd love to contribute to the site! Right now may not be a good time due to my semester being close to finished and with tons of projects to do (including the one above), but once I get some breathing space, I'll definitely look into it!
Really helps that I love some of the artwork that has been contributed to The Smog. :)

Thank you. ^_^
My teacher keeps adding corrections for it, though; so until she's satisfied, posting it will have to wait. ^^;
It won't be more than two weeks, though, since that's the deadline.

So, in the meantime, here's a drawing I did yesterday for Doubt's trade thread:
Wow! I can't wait!
Oh my gosh that is a beautiful pic. The prospective, angles, and even the positions of the pokeballs make it pop out so well.
My eyes are instantly drawn to that little smile and then around the rest of the picture. This is so awesome! I love it!

Well, in the meantime...
Since I don't think I will be able to finish this tonight, I might as well post what I have so far:

Random drawing is random. I'm trying to apply the same techniques I'm using for my college project on this one, though this one has darker outlines and is a smaller size overall. Will also have to add in a background later.

Well, I've worked on it as much as I could, tried adding all the corrections the teacher asked...and she's still not satisfied with it. Frankly, I'm out of ideas for this one. I could ask for feedback here, but unfortunately, I can't post the full-sized version (CMYK and A3, way too big for imgur) for better feedback. Alas, I guess this will be the final version:

And also, a bit more progress on the Mega Metagross. Have to add a few more details as well as some post-coloring fixes before working on the back-arms-thrusters...things; plus the background:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Forgot to comment on that Metagross image. It really came out nice, and the background is also oozing with mega evolving energy. The rainbow symbol could blend into the background better, and I wouldn't be opposed to cranking up the image's contrast a few notches, but overall, that's a solid pic right there.

You have some great stuff here! Being one of the most troublesome mons to draw (at least for me ;_;), that Mega Metagross piece turned out great! Although that rainbow symbol does stick out a little bit.

Nice Kotomine reference o3o

You have some great stuff here! Being one of the most troublesome mons to draw (at least for me ;_;), that Mega Metagross piece turned out great! Although that rainbow symbol does stick out a little bit.

Nice Kotomine reference o3o
Thanks! :D
I'll admit, I decided to draw Mega Metagross precisely because I had heard it was difficult to draw, and wanted to give it a try. ^^;
And, looking back on it, based on your and Bummer's comments, that symbol is now kinda sticking out to me too...probably should have blurred it a bit, or used a different brush, or something like that...even could have put it behind the pink glow.

Hindsight. =o=
Well, that's how we learn things in the long run. And now that I finished my exams today, I'll have time to work on my next image! :D

I still doubt people will understand the costume's reference. =3=

Duuuuude, your art is awesome! That Kyogre and Keldeo one just seems like Keldeo is about to slice you into pieces for murdering his master (Kyogre)
The spirit of his master lived on in Keldeo, boosting his powers to untold levels! Sadly, he became too OP, and he was banned from the metagame.

THE END :D

GOSH there's so many goodies here! I actually really love how you digitally render. The Mega!gross and Elesa are so well done!

Going off of what Bummer said, I think a really easy way to make your images pop more is to edit the contrast values! At the very end, it would make, for example, Mega!gross seem sharper and also make him stand out more from the background (especially if you make a background greyer than a character.)

Question -- do you use a lot of layer modes in your drawings? Darken/multiply/addition/lighten etc? Just out of curiosity.

I hope you continue to practice and experiment more because you have so much potential!

GOSH there's so many goodies here! I actually really love how you digitally render. The Mega!gross and Elesa are so well done!

Going off of what Bummer said, I think a really easy way to make your images pop more is to edit the contrast values! At the very end, it would make, for example, Mega!gross seem sharper and also make him stand out more from the background (especially if you make a background greyer than a character.)

Question -- do you use a lot of layer modes in your drawings? Darken/multiply/addition/lighten etc? Just out of curiosity.

I hope you continue to practice and experiment more because you have so much potential!
Thank you! ^_^
Those two are still the ones I'm most proud of so far. :)

As for your question...admittedly, I didn't use to use many, outside of multiply and overlay, mostly since I mainly use SAI and thus, have less options than PS. At least until I got some Photoshop classes last semester. Since a few of my recent works have been done in Photoshop (like Mega!gross and Elesa), I've been trying to apply some of the methods I was taught, and that includes some of the layer modes. Still don't use them as often, since I still mainly use SAI, but I'm learning from time to time. :)

Thanks for the feedback and the advice! :D

And I really need to update this thread with content. It's been quite a while, and I need a way to break my current block!
Let's start with some old art I haven't posted here.
Now for something a bit more recent, there's some doodles I made a couple days ago, as well as my design for CAP 20 (made it 16/31...that's gotta count for something, right?).
And finally, something I tried drawing last night. I wanted to try something videogame-y, so I went to listen to some game music, namely Puyo Puyo (no idea why), and started drawing to see what came out. This is the result.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)