Kangaskhanite Tiering Discussion [+Demographics Poll Added to OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

asgdf

could've been worse
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
You do realize if you bring pokemon from NU (like cofag) only because Of 1 pokemon (Rocky helmet is almost always terrible.)
I'd like to point out that Cofagrigus was solidly UU in gen 5 and definetely usable in OU.
However I agree with the point that making Rocky helmet the go-to item on Skarm, Ferrothorn and Garchomp isn't optimal. And while there is a fair share of things that can survive against Mega Kanga for a few turns, most of them have difficulties damaging it directly, instead having to resort to passive damage through Will-o-wisp and Rocky helmet. WoW only really works if there's no Heal bell suuport, and Rocky helmet is bypassed by non-contact moves and probably won't kill Kanga before Kanga kills them even if it contacts.
While I agree that Fighting types work as checks, they can not afford to switch in (or can only do it once) and are rather solidly countered by a variety of things themselves. So overall I'd probably favor a ban, after a suspect test that is.

I hope I am not the only one that a NU Pokemon, which made it after all the years of struggle, gets the banhammer in the face...it is kinda sad, especially since I always liked the rare Kanga since gen 1.
Well yeah, it is broken, simply because it's item is an free choice choice band. It is pretty simple actually. And lol @Seismic Toss, I break every fuckin team with st in PS
Kangaskhan wouldn't get banned, kangaskhanite would.

Dragonite looks like a solid check until you relize the dmg calc doesn't work for parental bond v.s multisccale properly.With some math we get this which shows banded is indeed a check, albeit a very bad 1.
252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 330-388 (79.7 - 93.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Mega Kangaskhan Power-Up Punch vs. 108 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 24-29 (6.8 - 8.2%) -- possibly the worst move ever
+2 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 108 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 291-343 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
So banded dragonite is a very limited counter in that it has a 50% chance to not die to +2 sucker punch after switching in on the power up punch then has 43.8% to ko if rock are up. So not really going to work to well as a counter then.

Unless you're a wizard, which you're probably not, there's no guarantee that your "prediction" will be correct every single time. For example, you send out a flying type anticipating an earthquake but your opponent predicts your obvious switch and decides to use return instead. You'd get 1-shotted instantly.

There are only a handful of pokemon that can safely switch-in on mega kangaskhan which is what makes it so good. (Even max def max hp hippo can't switch in because it dies from 1 PO-punch and return from mega kang)
Even moreso than this, the pokemon one could viably switch into Khan in the first place are VERY predictable (i.e. ITS A GHOST) and attacking with Crunch is just so safe, with the only pokemon you'd otherwise not want to hit being justified pokemon, but that in itself can be obvious or even redundant depending on the pokemon.

It's not really reliable but an added perk to using Crunch is it lowers enemy defense and it's rolled for twice (since its used twice) so even bad situations for Khan have a chance to be out-lucked.

I think it was said best much earlier in the topic when someone said the key thing to look at here is risk... if you successfully predict, it might not even be that bad for Kang - at worst you could force it to switch or at least cause some damage to it, MAYBE status it... if prediction is in favor of MKhan though, it could cost you so much more, if not the match itself, as once Khan takes out what is likely your only answer to Khan or if Khan gets the boosts it needs, its basically hopeless.

Unless you're a wizard, which you're probably not, there's no guarantee that your "prediction" will be correct every single time. For example, you send out a flying type anticipating an earthquake but your opponent predicts your obvious switch and decides to use return instead. You'd get 1-shotted instantly.

There are only a handful of pokemon that can safely switch-in on mega kangaskhan which is what makes it so good. (Even max def max hp hippo can't switch in because it dies from 1 PO-punch and return from mega kang)
I'm not saying that I'm a wizard and can predict 100% of the time, but scouting for what moves Kangaskhan possess really minimizes its threat. If it lacks Earthquake, you switch into a hard counter steel pokemon, if it lacks Crunch, you can switch into Ghost/Flying pokemon, Flying since you know for sure it possesses Earthquake. In my experience, moves like Protect really flushes out what kind of moveset it carries. Once you find the 4 moves it carries, it becomes immensely easier to counter, I'm not saying it's easy, just easier. And with the right prediction, you can easily switch into that counter.

If it lacks Earthquake, you switch into a hard counter steel pokemon
Umm...no. Fire Blast exists, as does the Gen V Move Tutored Fire Punch.

In my experience, moves like Protect really flushes out what kind of moveset it carries.
In your experience, right? Well, in my experience, I've seen Deoxys-A fall to Shuckle.

with the right prediction, you can easily switch into that counter.
So you're saying that if I can scout the moves on Mewtwo, it is easy to switch into a counter? Well, that settles it. MEWTWO FOR OU!!!

You didn't listen, did you? Read the signature. READ IT GOOD! I'm convinced that you will only read what you WANT to read and not what you NEED to read--huge difference. Before posting, read, read, READ! I think I need to add a new quote to my signature: Forum Posts are like cancer; no matter how hard we try to remove the bad posts, ridiculous people come back to reverse the progress.

Although this is my first ever post, I honestly believe that Mega-Kangaskha shouldn't be banned.
First of all, in my opinion, this seems like it'll lead to a slippery slope. Next thing we know, we would want to ban Azumarill, Mega-Mawaile, even Diggersby for their abilities to reach sky high attack values while also retaining priority moves.
Pretty soon, they'll be letting homosexuals marry their dogs.

I'm not saying that I'm a wizard and can predict 100% of the time, but scouting for what moves Kangaskhan possess really minimizes its threat. If it lacks Earthquake, you switch into a hard counter steel pokemon, if it lacks Crunch, you can switch into Ghost/Flying pokemon, Flying since you know for sure it possesses Earthquake. In my experience, moves like Protect really flushes out what kind of moveset it carries. Once you find the 4 moves it carries, it becomes immensely easier to counter, I'm not saying it's easy, just easier. And with the right prediction, you can easily switch into that counter.
It's really not like that.. its got 125 base attack with a choice band equipped that doesn't lock it into one move and breaks sturdy/sash/subs. Steel types are just letting it power-up punch it to death while also giving it boosts, crunch hits just about everything neutrally, even steels now.. and it takes care of one of the only types you'd otherwise consider against Khan: ghosts. Sucker Punch to take care of just about any priority and faster ghosts...

And then you have return, which 2hko's even the likes of Skarmory. So just one moveset is honestly enough to handle so many pokemon.. even pokemon you want to use that may 'wall' it by type... the sheer power, speed, and even bulk of this thing means it can ignore defensive type matchups.

This isn't even accounting for Seismic Toss sets, which is just one attack that ignores stats and typing barring ghosts to 2HKO the entire metagame thanks to hitting twice for FULL damage each hit. It's an almost universal answer to all pokemon in just ONE move.. so naturally you build the other 3 moves you have around anything that isn't afraid of that, and you win. Hell you don't need to invest in attack with that so you get even more bulk to play with.

The problem is, while you scout, Kangaskhan is annihilating your team. You don't have time for wrong plays, especially if those wrong plays mean letting it boost.

The only safe move is switching in a decently healthy Sableye.

By the time you know its coverage move, you've probably already lost a Pokemon or two.

Also there's only four FE levitating/flying ghosts and only one is OU.

Umm...no. Fire Blast exists, as does the Gen V Move Tutored Fire Punch.

In your experience, right? Well, in my experience, I've seen Deoxys-A fall to Shuckle.

So you're saying that if I can scout the moves on Mewtwo, it is easy to switch into a counter? Well, that settles it. MEWTWO FOR OU!!!

You didn't listen, did you? Read the signature. READ IT GOOD! I'm convinced that you will only read what you WANT to read and not what you NEED to read--huge difference. Before posting, read, read, READ! I think I need to add a new quote to my signature: Forum Posts are like cancer; no matter how hard we try to remove the bad posts, ridiculous people come back to reverse the progress.
No offense, but reading this, isn't really helpful.
Okay it knows Fire punch/Fire Blast, meaning it lacks both Earthquake and Crunch. There's your switch in opportunity.
Doexys-A falling to Shuckle has nothing to do with me being able to scout what moves a Mega-Kangaskhan possesses using Protect.
As for Mewtwo, it can use 4 different moves due to its immense movepool, and possess perfect coverage, something Kangaskhan does not have. Really instead of telling people to think, I think you should think more than bashing others.

Okay it knows Fire punch/Fire Blast, meaning it lacks both Earthquake and Crunch. There's your switch in opportunity.
Doexys-A falling to Shuckle has nothing to do with me being able to scount what moves a Mega-Kangaskhan possesses using Protect.
As for Mewtwo, it can use 4 different moves due to its immense movepool, and possess perfect coverage, something Kangaskhan does not have. Really instead of telling people to think, I think you should think more than bashing others.
No. Kanga has perfect coverage, and the fact that a +2 Return 2HKO's Skarmory who RESISTS Return, voids your argument. No POkemon beats a whole team by itself, even in Ubers. Kanga still has 5 other teammates that will cover its VERY few... "weaknesses" and would totally dominate the whole team when the one or two CHECKS (not even Counters) are dealt with. This has been covered over and over and over and over...

Doexys-A falling to Shuckle has nothing to do with me being able to scount what moves a Mega-Kangaskhan possesses using Protect.
Kangaskhan does indeed carry near perfect coverage. And he meant one or the other, not both fire moves.

The difference between Mega Khan and other Ubers like Kyogre is that the other Ubers are either much more powerful without boosting (Kyogre, Deoxys in general) or are much better tanks than Kanga (Giratina, Groudon, Ho-oh, to some extent Lugia) or are much better boosting sweepers (Blaziken, Arceus, Mewtwo).

There's a multitude of options to keep M-Khan down like Sticky Web, Stealth Rock and other hazards and phazing it out so that it can't get in and out scot free, combined with saccing a Pokemon to take it out. This option doesn't exist for many other Ubers like ExtremeKiller Arceus, Kyogre, etcetera. You can even use another Mega like Mega Pinsir or Mega Charizard X to outspeed and KO.

6v6 Pokemon is a game I often compare to chess. This just brings it closer to chess -- you sacrifice your pieces purposefully to gain board position and win, rather than mindlessly sending out counter after counter. It's not like the metagame is particularly diverse anyway because people just find the next thing that's good and try to break it.

Although this is my first ever post, I honestly believe that Mega-Kangaskha shouldn't be banned.
First of all, in my opinion, this seems like it'll lead to a slippery slope. Next thing we know, we would want to ban Azumarill, Mega-Mawaile, even Diggersby for their abilities to reach sky high attack values while also retaining priority moves.
Secondly, Kangaskhan has a very predictable move pool which comes in the form of the Power-Up Punch, Sucker punch, and Return with a 4th varient move (from what I've seen) which more or less only may knock out one of your pokemon at most before you switch into a check/counter. Which comes in the form of various Steel, Ghost, or Fighting Pokemon depending on what 4th move it uses (faster fighting types usually being able to revenge kill it, like the Muskuteer Pokemons). I've also seen many Rocky Helmet Ferrothorns counter Mega-Kangaskhan multiple times, taking recoil damage twice. Sure it's a Choice Band with the ability to change up moves, but the same applies for the above pokemon I just stated and Life Orbed Pokemon usually hold the same fire power as a Parental Bond Mega-Kangaskhan.
Third, as for breaking Substitues/Focus Sashes, there are an immense number of priority users this generation to easily counter Focus Sash users, in addition a new improved "Infiltrator" ability allows pokemon such as Noivern and Crobat to easily break Substitute users. And let's be honest, why would you use a Substitute/Focus Sash pokemon against a Mega-Kangaskhan.
Not even remotely, and I mean apples and oranges differences dude. Parental bond has many functions beyond just a simple attack boost, azumaril has many checks and counters thanks to it's slow speed, sturdy, and how common grass and electric attacks are in today's metagame. As for diggersby you really need to stop watching shofu videos and play the game before you even remotely try to add that to a powerhouse list. Diggersby while strong has a mediocre offensive typing with a mediocre move pool that leaves makes him extremely predictable.

Mega kangaskhan's ability doubles the rate at which its effects occur, boost it's damage to immense levels, makes moves multi hit rendering subs and max health abilities useless, nothing can switch in on it without fear of being 1 or 2 shotted, and it also makes focus sash trash.

The difference between Mega Khan and other Ubers like Kyogre is that the other Ubers are either much more powerful without boosting (Kyogre, Deoxys in general) or are much better tanks than Kanga (Giratina, Groudon, Ho-oh, to some extent Lugia) or are much better boosting sweepers (Blaziken, Arceus, Mewtwo).

There's a multitude of options to keep M-Khan down like Sticky Web, Stealth Rock and other hazards and phazing it out so that it can't get in and out scot free, combined with saccing a Pokemon to take it out. This option doesn't exist for many other Ubers like ExtremeKiller Arceus, Kyogre, etcetera. You can even use another Mega like Mega Pinsir or Mega Charizard X to outspeed and KO.

6v6 Pokemon is a game I often compare to chess. This just brings it closer to chess -- you sacrifice your pieces purposefully to gain board position and win, rather than mindlessly sending out counter after counter. It's not like the metagame is particularly diverse anyway because people just find the next thing that's good and try to break it.
You should go check the ubers thread... Mega kangaskhan even 2 shots the bulkiest of ubers
Giratina isn't a tank it is a wall and it is a wall that gets two shotted by mega kangaskhan crunch. Lugia same story. Let's not forget that there is over a 36% shot of you having your defense lowered by it and taking more damage since effects stack.

It can also run body slam giving it a 60%. Shot at para to slow things down to it's liking which isn't really needed considering that 100 base speed is fast in ubers.

Pokemon isn't like chess and it's stupid to compare a game where your pieces are predetermined, can only move in particular ways, only take one hit to kill, and requires no team composition to pokemon.

Last edited:
As for Mewtwo, it can use 4 different moves due to its immense movepool, and possess perfect coverage, something Kangaskhan does not have.
I was close to using BoldCaps on you because even power drills aren't sufficient enough to get through your skull. Kangaskhan has perfect coverage with Return, Crunch/Sucker Punch, Earthquake, and Power-Up Punch. If Power-Up Punch were to be removed for some reason, replace with Fire move and PRESTO!

Kangaskhan does indeed carry near perfect coverage. And he meant one or the other, not both fire moves.
What he said.

I used a picture earlier explaining how I feel about this thread and those that don't listen. I won't repeat it again, but you should honestly know what you're saying BEFORE posting.

I think you should think more than bashing others.
Oh the irony...

Other than Sableye, is there anything in the game that Mega Kangaskhan CAN'T 2HKO in common battle conditions? The only reason Sableye is even a check at all is because it has a priority move that halves its attack. The icing on the cake is that it has strong priority, so checking it offensively can almost be as difficult as checking it defensively.
What about Gourgeist-Super? 252HP/252Def will be immune to PuP/Return after it Megas(which most do turn 1 from what I've seen), resists EQ and if they don't run Crunch you can just get off a WoW to cripple it, and even if they do run Crunch, it's not even guaranteed to 2HKO(guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and only ~60% chance to 2HKO if SR are up), and that's assuming they just go Mega and Crunch on your switch. That's not a bad check/counter(depending on Crunch vs Sucker Punch) IMO.

However, I'm not sure about stuff that just 1-shots MegaKhan back, I just thought I should mention that maybe crippling it isn't as hard as some people think if you account for it on your team like you would a Talonflame or other threats.

What about Gourgeist-Super? 252HP/252Def will be immune to PuP/Return after it Megas(which most do turn 1 from what I've seen), resists EQ and if they don't run Crunch you can just get off a WoW to cripple it, and even if they do run Crunch, it's not even guaranteed to 2HKO(guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and only ~60% chance to 2HKO if SR are up), and that's assuming they just go Mega and Crunch on your switch. That's not a bad check/counter(depending on Crunch vs Sucker Punch) IMO.
Covered already. Gourgeist is not even a good check since most run both SP and Crunch these days, and if Kanga is already at even +1, well... Yeah.

However, I'm not sure about stuff that just 1-shots MegaKhan back, I just thought I should mention that maybe crippling it isn't as hard as some people think if you account for it on your team like you would a Talonflame or other threats.
The difference is that nothing can safely switch in on Kanga while there are TONS of pokemon that can switch in on the likes of Talonflame.

That a Pokémon that is clearly broken for OU isn't strong enough for ubers, isn't a reason for it to stay in OU, last gen Tornadus-T was banned, and in Ubers he had few reasons to use it, other than an average stallbreaker, but that still didn't make it drop from ubers.

While Kyurem-B DID drop from ubers, but that's because after analyzing, Smogon concluded that there was nothing wrong with it being used in OU, due to it's low speed, and barren physical movepool, between other reasons.

A pokémon is banned because it makes the metagame unhealthy, being that it destroys team with little to no support, gets rid of any counter or check that bothers your team with no problem, or walls everyone and their mother, so if a pokémon is godly in OU, but garbage in ubers, that is not reason for it to remain OU

Except that analogy doesn't work at all in relation to MegaKhan.

In chess, the target in question (The king) can only move one square in any direction. Not only that, but once it's checkmated, the game is over no matter what other pieces remain. Sacrificing pieces and weakening your side pays off.

In Gen VI Pokemon OU, the target in question (MegaKhan) is a behemoth that punches massive holes in any team with little to no effort. If you manage to take it out, the game is not over; you now have to deal with its five teammates that will proceed to floor your team, which you allowed to get weakened and abused just to take out one component of another perfectly competent squad.

Here is your gorgeist

0 SpA Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 201-237 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Or we can go with this

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 162-192 (43.3 - 51.3%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers

Mega-Kan can get to +2 without wasting a turn only to set up (gets +2 from an essentially 70BP move that covers on of Return's main resistances; steel). If we are bringing up sticky web as an option to counter it then why can I not use sticky web to negate yours? Or rapid spin? Or defog? Since any and all sticky web users will not survive Mega-Kan you are obviously referring to conditions set up before Mega-Kan was brought in therefor I can also play the "what if x" game. Phazing? Phazing=moves last=takes a huge hit. As already mentioned even the most reliable phazers are 2HKO'd by Mega-Kanga (Hippowdon and Skarmory for example)

And get ready for this one because it is going to blow your mind. Straight from the damage calculator:
252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 181-214 (51.5 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
does NOT OHKO.

Hell, even this has less than a 50% chance to OHKO:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Charizard Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kangaskhan: 280-330 (79.7 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

And that is IF your opponent is running 0 HP. I have seen enough Mega-Kangaskhans with MAX HP to know that you have to be prepared to run into both max HP adamant and max speed jolly/adamant.

Last edited:
Here is your gorgeist

0 SpA Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 201-237 (53.7 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
How many MKangas run Fire Blast? Honestly, I've NEVER encountered one. Kanga runs some combination of Fake Out/Return/EQ/Crunch/SuckerPunch/Power up Punch. The outliers might run Brick Break to shatter screens. It's not worth wasting a moveslot for a Special attack, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)