Kanto can be Vexing

So why write a giant essay detailing it? You can't disguise the fact that there were many, many misplays behind walls of text.
Because we enjoy his warstories regardless, I personally like the thought process more then the actual battle. His team was lovely, and against a good player with a good team, it must be hard to get a decent match with it.

And would you rather he not have made a warstory? I think if you regularly check the UT warstory tab, you aren't exactly pressed for time.

At the guy above me. His opponet was terrible and his team not so good. Was not a fan of this warstory. Never once in the match did you have a chance of losing. Your opponet was not very good. The comments were endless and told us things that we should know. i will respect you for winning, but not a good warstory choice.

Another great warstory from you, giving some shine to the lesser lights of the competitive Pokemon scene. Fascinating, watching you play around Poliwrath and Exeggutor, but the battle wasn't quite as thrilling as some others. Still, easy 9/10.

good warstory , i really liked it ,MVP is without a doubt golbat ^^ ; or persian dunno :)

well played .

I really need to figure out how to quote multiple people in one post x-X ANYWHOS

Firenze: AA is for quitters!

More Cowbell: To be quite honest I'd love to do that. I'd really like to just take both sides of a battle and instead of talk about my predictions, talk about how I would handle each of their sides and contrast it to what they chose to do. If you know any such battlers that would like me to story it, do let me know.

@Cooky: Yes, yes I can ;D But seriously, I'm not here to get 10/10s all I'm here for is to give people something to read that I hope they'll enjoy. If I can make an average battle interesting to read, then I've accomplished what I wanted to do. I don't want to look like some massive amazing player who is a god of pokemon; because I'm not. I'm a fairly average player and I lose just as often as I win. Also, these are much more about the writing to me (being an aspiring writer if you read my other stories) and to be honest the log is just added bulk to a story I could have written without it. If there was a fiction section for straight up prose, believe you me I would be posting there instead of warstories. I mean there is Smeargle's Studio but I believe that's only for visual art unfortunately.

Thanks again for the reads and I'm glad most of you enjoy it, but to be honest I would from an outside opinion give this one a 7 but I'll take your 9s and 10s all day xD

Somewhat long, but great formatting and the detailed comments (not to mention the puns) kept me entertained throughout the whole time. 7/10 :D

While your opponent was pretty bad and the battle not that exciting, your detailed and informative comments more then made up for it.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Was it a good battle? Not in the least. Was it fun to read? Absolutely. Although the theme you picked of only using UU Kanto pokemon may have hampered the actual battle, the comments were very fun to read. Because the most important part of a warstory is the actual battle, this one wasn't exceedingly good. The effort put into making it was refreshing, but couldn't make up for the substandard battle. I'd advise using a standard team next, and to try to exercise your considerable literary talent on a suitably excellent battle.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This war story is rather mediocre compared to your others but with the great commentary that always come with your war stories it kind if makes up for it. Next time choose a better battle that is more competitive. Can't wait for the next one!

More Cowbell: To be quite honest I'd love to do that. I'd really like to just take both sides of a battle and instead of talk about my predictions, talk about how I would handle each of their sides and contrast it to what they chose to do. If you know any such battlers that would like me to story it, do let me know.
I don't know any players like that, but I can imagine that there are enough battlers that are capable of having good battles, would like some attention on the forums, but just aren't that good at writing things up.

It would be quite hard to do so as you don't know all the movesets and exact playstyles of both players, but I think you can pull it off ;)

Like others have said: fun to read, but not the best battle. 7.5/10

Also, Persian was OU in gen 1 (as mentioned earlier), Nidoking and Cloyster were OU in gen 2, and Magneton was OU in gen 3.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
It might be an "average" battle, but I found this warstory to be much better than most others (and there are a crapton of those. Yes, a CRAPTON. I must invent a new word to express my feelings).

8.5 / 10. Keep up the good work =D

Most points about this warstory I could make have been mentioned. But I want to nitpick one thing in particular: I especially didn't like the fact that Typhlosion could have singlehandedly swept your team if you hadn't put it to sleep. You had absolutely no switch-ins to Eruption or Fire Blast (with Golbat 2HKO'd and everything else cleanly OHKO'd), and nothing to reliably revenge kill it either (Scyther capping at 70% with AA and Golbat Toxicing at best). If Hypnosis had missed, or (better yet) if your opponent had recognized Typhlosion's potential against your team and played with it a little better, you'd have a 6-0 on your hands. The same thing could be said of Ninetales, albeit to a lesser extent, who was also squandered.

Your comments were brilliant, as always, but the battle was disappointing.

You're Warstory was unbelivable. Although you had an average battle, you managed to have every part of your comment expand and elaborate it to make a lot more enjoyable. Although it might be a bit too much, it wasn't a lot to take away your real purpose.

9.1/10

Good comments, but I have issues with using UU Kanto Pokemon only in Gen 5. You might get a better warstory if you layed with real Pokemon...against an actual competitive battler.

4/10

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
This was a fun little warstory to read... but it's not really a battle that I would put out for a warstory... I almost closed the page after seeing the opponent's team because quite honestly it looked horrible.

Whilst I was reading the battle I too was thinking "lol so many 10/10s are on the way". That said, I did really enjoy the warstory actually, I think the matchup of UU Sun VS your themed team was one of the most interesting I've ever seen in a warstory, and naturally your commentary was excellent and entertaining.

However, there are some reasons the countless 10/10s amuse me. One are the few misplays you made (Rock Blast, etc) and being surprised by things you shouldn'tve really been surprised by. Harvest and Rest being one. Being unfamiliar with an ability, moveset, or pokemon, even a new one, is something that irks me in warstories. Those were my main issues, naturally Hax occured annoyingly, and the battle not being particularly dramatic also detracted from it somewhat. I think that in future picking a slightly more viable but still themed team may help you find a better battle, so that's what I'd advise if you want to do something similar again.

However I would not whatsoever criticise you for your team building decisions as some people have. Although I love reading varied warstories like this, I understand that some people do not, but could they not see the team sprites and read your warning? Criticise the quality of the battle sure, but when you're given fair warning of the contents of the warstory I think it's unfair to criticise the team. Especially as Vex isn't actually using this as a truly competitive team, but as something suggested by the users to try and make an interesting warstory. It's not like he's built his first team with all his favourite Gen I pokes and has decided to warstory his first battle now, is it?

In any case I really look forward to the "scouting" team's warstory, as I've never been able to build one yet am endlessly frustrated by them. Also, use the little "+ button in the bottom right of posts in order to multiquote, then click add reply like normal :).

1) Haha, I really enjoy your style. (Example: the bulkiest fuck to ever bulk.) Your color/flavor commentary is priceless. (Example: I think there was a reference to ICP's "Miracles" with Magneton.) Persian was played marvelously.
2) Not a very intense battle, as you admitted. I guess some people are only jonesing for sexy play, not funny commentary.
3) You are a writer, but you certainly aren't an editor. ;) Many typos, e.g. "to" instead of "too," but we understand. You quickly type these out and don't edit. No biggie. One thing that irked me was when you said "leads can't predict an opponents team." Technically, the chosen lead pokemon of the opponent isn't what is doing the predicting. You are the one predicting, so it should be "my knowing their lead pkmn doesn't necessarily allow me to predict their other team members." Yes, in the case of weather, the auto-weather lead helps you out for sure (relative to non-weather leads). I can infer you understand this, but if I was a computer enslaved to precise semantics and syntax, I'd be confused by what you typed.
All in all, a fun read. 7/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)