Krillowatt's Prevo Poll

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by tennisace, Oct 13, 2011.

?

Which design?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2011.
  1. Pilcowatt

15.5%
  2. Protowatt

44.7%
  3. Attowatt

39.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinyskarmory

shinyskarmory

I'd like to advocate the Plicowatt design. Unlike the Protowatt design, Plicowatt doesn't look like a smaller version of Krilowatt. It's important for evolution to make some change in the appearance of the pokemon.

In this way, Attowatt also works. But I prefer Plicowatt over Attowat because Plicowatt seems to fit a little better.
  2. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

My issue with Protowatt is just that it's a bit... small.

Compare Horsea, the closest applicable Pokemon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. ToastTyrant13

ToastTyrant13

Keep in mind, it's a baby shrimp. It's most likely going to be small...

[​IMG][​IMG]
  4. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

Well, yes, but have you seen the sizes of some Bug-types? For visibility and recognizability reasons, I think a larger size would be more appropriate.
  5. Darkhuaza517

Darkhuaza517

I just feel like adding this: Attowatt's actual size is 0'08".
  6. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Here is the size problem:
    [​IMG]
    Joltik, the smallest Pokemon of all at only 4 inches. It's sprite is still much larger than Protowatt. So to be honest, the even if a Pokemon is small, it doesn't need a miniscule sprite. While it is kinda cute, the Protowatt design is really just too small.
  7. Spork

Spork

Joltik may be the smallest pokemon but he's certainly not the smallest sprite. A bunch of pokes have smaller sprites, like Tynamo, Cleffa, Magnemite etc. In fact, Cleffa, the smallest sprite in terms of general mass, is shorter than Protowatt. His sprite reminds me of Tynamo, and Protowatt has a bigger head than him at least.

I see Protowatt as been insanely small anyway, thumb-sized even, smaller than Joltik. Or even sea-monkey sized!

Also, it's ultimately not important that the sprite is small, since it can be resprited, so it's a terrible idea to vote against it for that reason. Protowatt's design is just perfect, whislt Attowatt is kinda overdesigned and weirdly fish-like.
  8. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

hmm

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 conclusions:
    - Joltik's sprite is huge
    - Protowatt is smaller than Cleffa, which I feel is too small.

...whoops. Can I change my vote? :|
  9. Xaqwais

Xaqwais

If they are being resprited, I would've voted for Protowatt :<
  10. smallvizier

smallvizier

Is this fair on the spriters?

We'd never dream of telling the art poll winner, "we loved your design, but even though you won, we're going to have someone else redraw it."

The general rule before has been that whichever sprite or piece of art wins the poll is the final design. What's the reason that these artists are being treated with less courtesy?

If you felt that all three of the sprites were unfinished and needed 'fixing,' then it might have been better to give people warning about the upcoming poll, and invite them to make final submissions.

EDIT: thanks for the clarification, tennisace. I had assumed that any new sprites would be under the new conventions already. So now I get what you meant by 'fixing' them.
  11. tennisace

tennisace acrobuttdicks
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Because if you read the thread that these sprites came from, they are being revamped to B/W sprite conventions anyway.

@Aesoft: this isn't during an official CAP. We're just going to choose which design we want to work with since there was confusion in the previous thread. It was either I picked which prevo we used, or I put it to a quick vote. This is the one poll for the sprite design. The winning design will be critiqued in the sprite revamp thread like every other sprite. In addition, there will be a second quick poll to decide the name, and a short community discussion about height/weight, at the end of which I will choose the height/weight based on community consensus.

PS: Revamping may mean increasing the size of the sprite, don't worry about that.
  12. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    Creator of PS

I thought there are two polls, a design poll and a sprite poll. That's what the top and bottom are of, say, this: http://www.smogon.com/cap/gallery/past/cap06

We're doing the design poll, right? But then we have a sprite competition?

Now I'm confused. :S

Just for fun:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Protowatt's sprite size is on par with the Wailord icon size.
  13. Luxpluff91

Luxpluff91

Protowatt is the best design, it resembles Krillowatt a lot more than the other 2
  14. tennisace

tennisace acrobuttdicks
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Super Moderator

Protowatt won.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)