Last Attempt (An OU Hyper Offense RMT)

Last Attempt (An OU Hyper Offense RMT)

Introduction:

Now, I know what you might be thinking, judging by the title of this RMT here. "What on earth do you mean by: 'Last Attempt?'" I've seen like a lot of people on PS and on PO as well, use Hyper Offensive Teams and such. I've made like countless HO Teams, and sadly, I would fail so badly. But now, I came back, and see if I can like, redeem myself one more time, if I can be an expert in this offense.

Anyways, hello Smogon, once again, this is Touya, with a second OU RMT, that doesn't have to do with weather. Alright, here's how I came up with this team right here. Right after the failures of my previous Hyper Offensive teams, I started to realize: "Maybe if I like add a little bit more synergy for this HO Team." So, after a few minutes, I actually did, put some synergy into it, and surprisenly, the plan worked, but that does not mean, I'm not automatically an expert of this offense, as stated. Now, the purpose of this team here, to see if having more synergy on an HO Team would work out nice, and to test out Golurk in OU, to see if it's really unique with all the elemental punches it can learn.

Now, with out further ado, enough of this long rambling. Let's get into this RMT here, to see if this "Last Attempt" of an Hyper Offensive one, is a successful one. ...Okay, I'll do apologize here, if that last sentence back there, was really cheesy.

=========================================
Team At A Glance:

==========================================
In Depth Look:
|
|
|
|
|

Espeon

Espeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Here, we have Espeon. The pokemon that largely outclasses Xatu, by it's niche of setting up Dual Screens for Hyper Offensive teams, and being the core for Baton Pass Teams, even though this is not one, obviously. However, this set here is quite different. You see, I wanted to like try a set that doesn't have like the Dual Screens and such. It also has the honor of being the only pokemon to have a legal combination of it's Dream World ability: Magic Bounce, and Baton Pass as well. With it reflecting moves, such as Taunt or Roar, which can break a Baton Pass chain, Espeon becomes a extremely vulnerable team member, however we are not mentioning Baton Pass Teams, we're mentioning the role of Epseon in this HO Team. Anyways, the next move, Calm Mind, is the boosting move of choice, as it allows Espeon to boost it's Special Attack and Special Defense. Psyshock, IMO, was the better STAB choice move for me, due to Stored Power, only having power of 20. And last but not least, Hidden Power Fighting, is probably the most important move on this set, due to it, hitting Dark Types, especially Tyranitar, Espeon's main counter, steel types such as Ferrothorn for major damage.
Golurk

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch

Now, I know, what you might be thinking. Golurk, an NU pokemon, in OU? Yes, that's right. Like I stated, Golurk is really unique: Due to being the only pokemon with it's dual typing: Ground/Ghost, and giving it's unique key resistances. It also finds a very niche in the OU metagame, having the ability to lay down hazards, and act as a rapid spin blocker at the same time, and it's respectable attack base of 124, which is fairly high for a Ghost Type. With this set above, Golurk is best for fulfilling it's unique niche to set up Stealth Rock, and be a spinblocker at the same time, which I just said. Earthquake is the most powerful attack, and severely dents everything weak to it. An Iron-Fisted Ice Punch is an invaluable new option for Golurk, making it easier to deal with Gliscor, and other flying types. It also grants near coverage along with Earthquake. And lastly, Shadow Punch is Golurk's best option to deal with Starmie, Gengar, and Alakazam, all of which are OHKOed by it, and can 3HKO Reuniculs as well.

Magnezone

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
In a metagame where offensive threats have taken over, Magnezone is found to be difficult to be fit in. Despite that, being it's major offense presence: Special Attack, Magnezone can be outsped by every single offensive Pokemon in the OU tier. Even though Magnezone can be walled by some Pokemon such as Hippowdon and Celebi, it has an excellent ability, such as Magnet Pull, to trap opposing Steel types, and it's STAB electric type moves. It's raw power is displayed in this set. With a high base 130 Special Attack, having a held item: Choice Specs, Magnezone can plow most of the OU tier, bar Blissey and Chansey. The set's goal here is to wallbreak through an opposing team, leaving an opening for a sweeper to clean up. Volt Switch is used here to gain momentum throughout a match as well to switch out when sensing danger. For Hidden Power, I chose Fire, to deal with Steel types, such as an opposing Jirachi, if it wants to use wish or body slam, and Scizor, to deal with Espeon's other counter. Thunderbolt is Magnezone's first STAB move, while Flash Cannon is the other STAB move, providing neutral coverage with no immunities.​

Gyarados

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Bounce​

Gyarados has to be one of the most threatening sweepers in the OU metagame, easily. It has two STAB moves that has great coverage and above- average stats across the board, in addition to two stellar abilities: Intimidate, and my favorite: Moxie. Above is the bread and butter set for Gyarados. Dragon Dance is an amazing move on this Pokemon here, boosting it's attack to unbelieving high levels and patching up it's underwhelming speed, also being able to set up on a multitude of Pokemon. Waterfall is one of Gyarados' best STAB move, making dents in any pokemon unluckily enough to be on the receiving end of it. Stone Edge can hit Kyurem-B, Rotom-W, and an opposing Dragonite for heavy damage, and lastly, Bounce is of course, another great STAB move of Gyarados, hitting grass types that resist Waterfall, such as Celebi- hard enough, as well as dealing heavy damage to all common Dragon Types.

Gengar

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
Like Golurk, Gengar has the same role, being a spinblocker as well. It can also be a potent offensive threat in 5th Gen, thanks to it's power, unpredictably, and excellent offensive movepool. It's set of immunities helps it switch into common moves with impunity, giving it ample opportunities to come in and wreck havoc. Gengar's great neutral coverage lets it batter many pokemon for high damage, making it much difficult to wall. Now, right here is Gengar's deadliest set to use with proper timing. With the combination of Substitute and Disable, Gengar can take adavantage of about every pokemon, to overcome Pursuit users, avoid paralysis, and make disable easier to be pulled off, making common walls such as Blissey and Ferrothorn, would be found in a very tight position right after there move is disabled, even sweepers would be in a very tight situation as well, such as Conkeldurr without Stone Edge and Gliscor too. Shadow Ball is for opposing Psychic Types, and Focus Blast is to take out Dark Types such as Tyranitar, which has to be, Espeon's main Counter. Genger is perfect for this Hyper Offesnive team, making it to disrupt unprepared teams.

Thunderus-Therian

Thundurus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Well, I save it till last. Here, we have Thunderus-Therian. Having a high Special Attack of Base 145, being the highest of among all electric types, Thunderus-Therian has to be much more manageable. It also has an amazing ability, arguably better than Prankster, Volt Absorb, making the opponent thinking before using an Electric Type Attack, unless they give a free switch. Now, most Thunderus-Therians you see, would run agility and such, here, for this set is quite a lot different. Here, this set is much like a wallbreaker, like Gengar and Magnezone. Nasty Plot Thunderus-Therian is all about Power, with very few counters. Once again, with Magnezone, Thunderbolt is the main STAB option here, mostly consistent and a powerful attack that Thunderus-T can use. Hidden Power Ice hits most things that are resist to Thunderbolt or immune to it. Lastly, like Gyarados, Substitute is to protect Thunderus-T from Toxic and Leech Seed, scouts switch-ins that are faster than it, and prevent the opponent from simply sacrificing a slower pokemon to be dealt with Thunderus-Therian. Other than that, Thunderus-Therian is a solid pokemon, even though, it's not really that dominant as it's Incarnate Form, being banned from Ubers, it is a worthy consideration for any offensive team.

Importable:
Code:
Espeon (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Bounce

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-Therian @ Lum Berry
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Conclusion:

And this, concludes my second RMT here on the new style of the Smogon forums. Again, I know, it has been quite a while. I'll be honest, I didn't even know how to like, make an RMT. Until lurking around, and seeing how you make one, but other than that, this is probably like my first RMT here that has to deal with Hyper Offense. Okay, I'll be honest with you. Hyper Offense, to me, is probably the most hardest offense in the OU metagame to master. Most of the time, Magic Bouncing can be hard to predict as well, due to not even knowing what the other opponent might do. Now as far as that, this team, sadly, has three pokemon that does not like Pursuit, which has to be Espeon, Golurk, and Gengar. As for Golruk, it has like a lot of weakness. One has to be Water, which can be a problem for Golruk, most of the time, Starmie and Tentacruel, can come in and force Golurk out with their STAB moves, meanwhile, Magnezone, as stated can be outsped by most of the OU metagame, and can be OHKOed by Garchomp, Landerous-Therian, and Gliscor as well, and lastly, Gyarados and Thunderus-Therian has a huge weakness to Stealth Rock, which Gyarados can be easily OHKoed by most Electric Types. But other than that, I believe that this team here, can meet it's potential of being Hyper Offensive. So, in other words, thank you for enjoying my second RMT here. If you enjoyed it, leave a like if you prefer, if you didn't and want to find something that is arguable about this, opinions and suggestions are welcome on this.

Final Glance:

Alright, it's always to see a positive attitude and you love HO so that's good as well. As you said, every team needs synergy but I'd rather focus on the very beginning on defining what kind of playstyle should my team be in, who are the pokemon that I want to focus on using to win, and then build around these two to make a meaningful synergy. Finally, a quick check to see if you have a big threat or two and making changes to accommodate them.

Since it is HO you want then naturally I'll be looking for the (at least) Special attacker and Physical one and see how you have managed to protect then and made their job easier to sweep. I'm seeing Thundrus and Gyradous so I will be focusing on them for the remainder of the rate. I also see you like Golurk and I'm never in the business of telling users to have the same 30 or plus OU pokemon that constitute the majority of the teams.

Alright, first of all Gyrados. I kind of hoped you explained your EV spread, but since you want to add some bulk to it we at least want to be sure that after 1 DD you will outspeed all non scarfed pokemon:

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate/Moxie
88 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Substitute
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Bounce/Stone Edge

"The EVs allow Gyarados to outrun Jolteon at +1 and prevent Jirachi and burned Ferrothorn from breaking a Substitute with Body Slam and Power Whip, respectively. The HP number achieved increases the healing received from Leftovers, and the remaining EVs are pumped into Attack for more power."

Since the aim here is to set up as much as possible and keep the sub up as assurance against revenge killers, I prefer Intimidate as the ability of choice, you can find more opportunities to set up this way.

Thundrus looks fine to me, but now the issue of SR arises. You do have a magic bouncer true, but I feel that you could use something more confident in it's ability to remove rocks as well as address the following threats: Keledo, Volca, Dragonite, Kyurem-B and Latios. Starmie is a good answer to everyone except Kyube as it's stellar speed and offensive prowess is more than enough to handle them all. Besides, your Thundrus has Nasty plot so I don't see the need to Baton Pass anything to it:

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Analytic
252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Psyshock
~ Rapid Spin

I also fear the random Gastrodon as well as the need for priorities in face of something like Kyube, Terrakion and others. Breloom could come in place for Gengar since you already have a Ghost:

Breloom @ Lum/Life Orb
Trait: Technician
252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Sword Dance
~ Mach Punch
~ Spore
~ Bullet Seed

Last but not least we want something fast to revenge kill threats and to prevent set up users like Volcarona and Dragonite from getting out of hand. A Standard Scarf Terrakion should be more than enough to handle such threats though other sets such as Rock Polish and Sub Salac are good as well. Since both of your sweepers don't care about Steels that much and you have Breloom dealing with Ferrothorn and a nasty plot user to break walls into pieces, you can use it instead of Magnezone.

I hope that helped, GLHF.

I usually dont rate but I use hyper offense myslef so I though I would try.

1. You have a 3x ghost weakness and dark with 1 resistance so i reccomend switching gengar to a scrafty. It will add more necessary physical offense to the team with a dragon dance set.
2. with 2 electric types stone edge on gyaados isnt necessary so switch it with earthquake
3.without wish baton pass doesnt have much use so switch it with stored power incase you get to set up

Good luck with this team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)