Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Mario Teaches Typing

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Some other Mario game

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
surprisingly, a thread like this doesnt already exist... after seeing the old Final Fantasy one, i think it would be cool to rate the Mario games we have played =)

note: only rate the platformers, not the spin-offs and all that... otherwise we're gonna be here forever!

ive got a massive penis! lets begin.

Super Mario Bros.: The original, and still one of the best. Honestly, does this game ever get old? There's not really a lot more to say... the bushes are actually green clouds! 8/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: Another good game, but far less essential than the original game. For one thing, I find that you need to be in the mood to play it, and the enemys are kinda dull. Still, a choice of distinctly different characters, and a fun challenging adventure makes this another classic. 7.5/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: Many people would say that this is the best Mario game... it most certainly is up there. With many different levels, balanced and fun gameplay anda great soundtrack, this rounds off the NES collection perfectly. 8.5/10

Super Mario Land: The Gameboy game... it's good, I guess. The sprites, however, are way too small, and the characters who are not Mario are forgettable. I guess you could say this doesn't really feel like a Mario game. 6/10

Super Mario World: I would say that this is the best 2D Mario game; I can't believe it took me this many years to appreciate. With so many levels, secrets, power-ups, and the introduction of Yoshi, this is perhaps the quintessential Mario experience. 9.5/10

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: Not too many people get excited over this one, but I always thought it was pretty good. The only things this game did wrong is introduce Wario (ugh) and be a bit too easy. Good, simple fun. 7/10

Super Mario All-Stars: I would rather play the originals, not cheezy remixes. 4/10

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: Does this even count as a Mario title? Probably not, so I won't go into detail. It fucking rocks though. 9/10 (Removed 0.5 on account of Baby Mario's crying)

Super Mario 64: Ah, my favourite Mario game. I consider this a timeless classic. With so many stars to collect, and a huge 3D world opened up for exploration, this is what I consider almost unsurpassable fun. Just don't play the DS remake. It sucksssssssssssssssss 10/10

Super Mario Sunshine: I actually never played this one, because I didn't like the sound of Mario cleaning up graffiti with a water gun. What's next; Mario pitching in and helping the local community pick up litter? N/A

New Super Mario Bros.: Now this is a good game. I mean, it's a year later now, and not many people probably still remember it, but after Pokemon, this is probably my most played DS game. It is a great return to 2D form for Mario, introducing cool new power-ups, bosses and worlds to explore. Recommended! 8/10

Super Mario Galaxy: Sorry, this game is overrated. Sure, the graphics are great (and the soundtrack is absolutely mind-blowing), and it's cool to play a new Mario game. But I dunno... there's something off about it. I don't know if it's the new "mission based" system they incorporated to get stars, or some of the levels being kinda dumb and strange (like that stupid toy factory one), but it doesn't sit well with me. It's an undeniably good game, but far from a classic. 7/10

Significant spin-off games: Super Mario Kart, Wario Land (the first Gameboy one), Super Mario RPG (maybe my favourite game of all time), Paper Mario 64, Mario Kart DS

okay folks... lets see what ya got!

Tangerine

Where the Lights Are
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Let's see.

Super Mario Bros: When I first played it I was never able to beat it... I always had fun playing up to World Six or so and giving up. It's a classic, a gem, but I honestly prefer Lost Levels to this (7/10)

Super Mario Bros 2 (Lost Levels): Extremely Challenging. The levels where you have to use the trampoline and jump with the Wind were extremely annoying, and I liked the concept of Poison Mushrooms. I guess I really liked it because of the challenge! (8/10)

Super Mario Bros 2 USA: This isn't a Mario Game!!! While it was certainly amusing, I never caught onto it's mechanics such as picking up eggs and throwing and such. If I wanted to catch enemy projectiles and throw it back at them, I'd play a Kirby Game. (4/10)

Super Mario Bros 3: It was very well done, and the ability and the "item" system were rather fun. Diverse levels and settings was what made it for me really (9/10)

Super Mario World: The Pinnacle of 2D Mario. Is there anything else to say about this? (9.5/10)

Super Mario Land: The "better" GB Mario game I guess, I don't think I ever bothered too much with. I think it tried a bit too hard to emulate the original instead of it doing it's own thing.(6/10)

Super Mario Land 2 - Six Golden Coins: I hated this game with a passion. Not only was it a giant joke in terms of difficulty but I hated the designs of the worlds and levels. Augh. (3/10)

Super Mario World 2:
It never felt like a true Mario game to me, and I never got around to finishing it (which is a shame, I liked it a lot). It does the "eat enemies and throw them at others" things rather well but I think it's the diverse minigames that made it. (7/10)

Super Mario 64: I must admit, I never got all 120 stars. I have this fear of playing certain levels when it comes to 3D designs and thus I don't really have fond memories of the last water level in the game. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, although you sort of get sick of spinning Bowser around over and over again =/ (9/10)

New Super Mario Bros: It definitely wasn't terrible but to me it didn't stand out as spectacular either. I found the game a bit too easy with not much variations and some of the coins were a pain to find. Also, I hated the poor saving feature. (6.5/10)

Spinoff Games that I enjoyed: Mario Teaches Typing is what taught me to type! Super Mario RPG will always be one of my favorites, same with Mario Party.

Super Mario Bros.: Despite the fact that I couldn't get through the game without using the Warp Zones (even then I couldn't get past 8-2, shamefully), it's an okay game; not the best that I've ever played, on the NES or otherwise, but still a good introduction for the series. 7/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: I didn't actually play this that much, I didn't really like what I played however; it was too different from the straight platformers, and the multi-character approach was slightly flawed in my eyes. 3.5/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: Very good game. I enjoyed going through the worlds, unique as they all were (Giant Land especially, very strange but still as playable as ever). 'Twas probably one of the harder 2D platformers, however, second only in difficulty to... (8/10)

Super Mario Land: ...this. After World 2-3, it began to get much more difficult, and to this day I haven't completed it. Being an early, monochrome GB game, as Steelicks said it didn't look much like a Mario game, and more like a generic platformer (the Koopas exploded as well, which you don't see in any other Mario games). The sound was quite good, and I can still hear the tunes from them in my head now...7/10.

Super Mario World: A classic. The Cape Feather (my favourite Mario power-up) was introduced here, and allowed unlimited flight, brilliant when running through levels. The introduction of Yoshi also changed the game's mechanics for the better.

I don't have to say much more about this. If you haven't played it, whether on SNES or GBA, PLAY IT. 10/10.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: It was okay, I suppose. Not the best in the series, admittedly, and the power-ups weren't the best. The graphics were strangely SNES-standard, however. Either way, 5/10

Super Mario All-Stars: I've never actually played this, but it looks interesting; a good deal value-wise, hopefully. NA/10

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: Again, I haven't played this. Then again, I can't really find it, both the SNES and GBA versions.

...Have I missed out on my chance? NA/10

Super Mario 64: Very good game, better than Sunshine for sure. The music was some of the best that I've heard in a Mario game (about level with that of Galaxy) and the level design was top-notch; however, I just don't see it as being as good as SMW. Call me biased, but I just prefer SMW. (9/10)

Super Mario Sunshine: An environmentally friendly Mario game. Probably more of a ploy to stop littering and mess across the world than intended as an actual game.

Jokes aside, this really isn't that good a game. It relies on the FLUDD and your skills with it a bit too much, and it doesn't really compare to earlier games that much.

The most Mario 64-esque levels are those in which Shadow Mario takes the FLUDD away and you have to go through a platforming section to get a Shine, and are easily the best parts of the game. (5.5/10)

New Super Mario Bros.: An okay 2.5D Mario game. No Cape Feathers or anything like that, but it's okay, you don't really need them. Quite good, quite good. 8.5/10

Super Mario Galaxy: Despite it being slightly overrated, it's still a very enjoyable game. For one, they brought back Stars instead of Shine Sprites (thankfully) and they took away the FLUDD (as a result, it joined Bowser's army, and he cloned them and made them into bubble blasters and flamethrowers). The techniques work very well; the controls are easy to master, and the platforming is probably the best since Mario 64. As I said earlier, the musical quality is in a way equal to that of Mario 64. 8.5/10.

Significant spin-off games: The Mario Kart series.

I guess I'll start:

Super Mario Bros: What can I say about this amazing classic game besides that is the very first game that I ever played in my life, (I was 2, very early age.) Will always be one of the best. 8.5/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: Another good game, but not better than the first. The addition of Peach and Toad was cool, but I found myself mostly playing with Mario. Some of the stages were a bit easier but I think Birdo's increasing difficulty made up for that. 7.5/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: One of my top favorite Mario games. This game sorta went back to the roots of the original game, but with just added gimmicks such as the many power-ups Mario could receive such as the Frog Suit. Also the many different types of enemies you had to face along the way added to the overall difficulty of the game, which btw was Hard. I admit, I died several times in this game. A definite must for all Mario fans. 9.0/10

Super Mario Land:
I recall playing this game, but I can't remember if I finished it or not. Overall it was a mediocre Mario game at best. Nothing in this game really stood out me, so that's probably why I forgot mostly about it. 5/10

Super Mario World:
Everything about this game says Perfect. Definitely the best Mario game I've played. Lengthiness, Yoshi, Multi-player, Power-ups, what else could you ask for in a Mario game. Blue Yoshi will always be my favorite. :P 10/10

Super Mario Land 2-Six Golden Coins:
I didn't I actually play this game. After the first one, I really wasn't ready for a sequel, so I skipped it. I heard mixed reviews about this game, some good/some bad. Can't really comment on this one. N/A

Super Mario World 2-Yoshi's Island:
It really didn't have that Mario feel to it, but nonetheless it was a great game. I enjoyed playing with just Yoshi for a change, without him running away every time he got hit by a enemy. The only thing that got tiring overtime, was the crying. Sometimes, I just let the baby get kidnapped because he was so damn annoying. 8.5/10

Super Mario 64:
The number one game you think of when you hear N64. I still can't believe I got all 120 stars, which btw was extremely difficult (Damn awkward controller). I was disappointed and proud after I completed it though. Proud because I did it and disappointed because all I got was to see Yoshi on the roof. >.> But besides that, it was another great game. Will always be a classic. 9/10

Super Mario Sunshine:
Definitely a fun game, but a bit to easy sometimes. The concept of the game was fun, but sometimes became a little bit to repetitive. A good game to play at least once for those Mario fans. 7.5/10

New Super Mario Bros:
Another fun and entertaining game, but also a bit short and easy. The new twist on the classic game was good idea though. I recommend it. 8/10

Super Mario Galaxy:
I really can't comment on this game either because I don't have a Wii, but it definitely looks entertaining and fun. So far I've heard mostly positive things about it. So I will see. N/A

Spinoff Games That I enjoyed:
Paper Mario 64, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Kart Double Dash, and of course another top favorite of mine: Super Mario RPG.

Super Mario Bros.
Is there anything left to say about this? It hasn't aged quite as badly as some other NES games, but historical significance is most of what it has going for it today. 8.5/10

Super Mario Bros. 2
Beyond its unusual origins, this is still a pretty fun game. The choice of multiple characters is nice in particular, although some of the level designs don't really appeal to me. 7.5/10

Super Mario Bros. 3
It's the biggest and best NES of the Mario games, with more varied levels and new power ups. One of the overall best NES games even. 9/10

Super Mario Land
Decent for a Game Boy game but totally antiquated. What ever happened to the submarine and airplane? 6.5/10

Super Mario World
Very solid, although I'm not quite as enthusiastic a fan of this one as some other people. Inspiration of some very sadistic ROM hacks. 8.5/10

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
It's still ancient, but at least a step up from Super Mario Land. The bunny ears power up was fun. 7/10

Super Mario All-Stars
The bundle version that included Super Mario World was very cool. A nice compilation cart with improved graphics. 9/10

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
One of my all time favorite games. There's lots of level with a ton of variety, and collecting all the red coins and flowers adds some hardcore challenge. The whimsical graphics also look great. The only downsides are Mario's cry and the lame follow up that was Yoshi's Story. 10/10

Super Mario 64
As the first 3D game I ever played, there was just something magical about this that was never duplicated later. However, I don't think it would be quite as good for someone playing for the first time today. 10/10

Super Mario Sunshine
Destined to live forever in the shadow of Mario 64, but by no means a bad game. The FLUDD was gimmicky but its actual functions were pretty interesting. Overall it's still a quality 3D platformer. 9/10

New Super Mario Bros
Short, simple and sweet. It captured an old school feel well but was too easy and ended too quickly. 7.5/10

Super Mario Galaxy
The actual platforming in this game is superior to Sunshine, but the formula is starting to age a bit. I would have preferred less comets... The graphics are nice but fail to impress in this generation, although the soundtrack is possibly the best in a Mario game to date. 8.5/10

Top 5 Spin Off Games
1. Super Mario RPG
2. Mario Tennis
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Mario Party 3
5. Mario Kart 64

I'll edit this post later with my rating for all the games, but I'll say now I didn't vote for Yoshi's Island because I'd consider it moreso a Yoshi game than a Mario game. Otherwise it would've gotten my vote.

Super Mario Brothers 3 is my all-time favourite, due to the variety of powerups (like 5 or 6? fuck yeah), introducing the ability to use them on the world map (and if I'm not mistaken, introducing the world map to Mario games), great tunes, and hot damn I could go on. Super Mario World comes in second, mainly for introducing Yoshi, along with the sheer amount of secrets found within the game.

Oh and of course:

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Super Mario Bros.: Without this 2-D platformers and platformers in general would probably be totally different or not even exist, it holds up well today and is fill with all kinds of nostalgia for young and old. 8/10

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels:
This could have been a great addition to Super Mario Bros, problem is, they made this game so ridiculously hard that any positives to come out of it were overshadowed by the difficulty. It had its innovations, but still the difficulty is hard to overcome and rate this above other easier and maybe even more satisfying Mario games. 6/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: The odd one of the bunch, not even a real Mario game but it introduced things and characters still in use today, Shy Guys, Peach floating, Turnips, etc. While considered the black sheep, it is still very good. 7/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: While I enjoy this game and the number of power ups, the levels, the music, it just doesn't scream "I am the best" to me, while very good, something about it feels lacking but I can't put my finger on it. Still easily one of the top games of all time though. 9/10

Super Mario Land: One of the other oddballs, Miyamoto had very little to do with this game and thus it felt wrong. Nintendo was trying to cash in on the Game Boy and offer people a Mario game and rushed this out, problem is, it doesn't feel like a Mario game. 6/10

Super Mario World: My favorite game of all time, the pinnacle of 2-D gaming, and an overall masterpiece of gaming. There is so much to do in this game and just like Super Mario Bros and Mario 64, its filled memorable enemies and levels. The introduction of Yoshi and the cape add a new element of strategy and fun to the platforming genre. I can't say enough about this game so I will stop and just give you a score. 10/10

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: The sequel to the oddball Super Mario Land, but vastly improved. It had the map system of SMB3 and SMW, and actually felt like a true portable Mario (in fact was my first Game Boy game). 7/10

Super Mario All-Stars: I'll just skip due to the games just being remakes of previous titles. It is one of the best values in gaming ever until the Orange Box was released.

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: More of a spin off than a true Mario game, but it retains the classic platforming with some new mechanics since you control Yoshi. A great spin off that let you control one of the most exciting parts of SMW, Yoshi. 9/10

Super Mario 64: What Super Mario Bros did for 2-D gaming, Super Mario 64 did to 3-D gaming. It was revolutionary, and was filled with the same great nostalgic moments, who doesn't remember Bomb-Omb Battlefield? The music, the levels, everything about it screams epic, a must have for any gamer Mario fan or not. 10/10

Super Mario Sunshine: I don't get the criticisms of this game, people complain about cleaning up goo and trash, but have never played this. While yes there are parts where you are needed to wash some goo up, but the vast majority of the game is very excellent platforming. The addition of the FLUDD added all kinds of strategic elements and it reintroduced fan favorite Yoshi as a ridable character. While not as memorable as Mario 64, this has all the parts of a very good game, underrated by many for sure. And most importantly, it was really fun. If you haven't played this, you are missing out on the spiritual successor of Super Mario World. 10/10

New Super Mario Bros.: Introduced some cool new powerups, the Giant Mushroom is one of the most fun things to use in a Mario platformer. While solid, its short and pretty easy, which sadly deducts from its overall score for the game. The multiplayer mode while has few options, is very fun when played with friends. 8/10

Super Mario Galaxy: While I get what they were going for, the game is incredibly easy and straight forward. One of the things I loved about Mario 64 is that you could be doing one star but suddenly come upon another star, in Galaxy thats gone, you pick a star go from point A to B and collect star. The music was epic and the graphics are amazing for a Wii title, but the overall easiness and lack of a more open world hurt it. 9/10

Significant spin-off games: Paper Mario, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Mario Strikers, and Super Smash Bros are all great spin offs and should be given a look.

And I'm serious, go play Sunshine if you haven't it is an oft-overlooked gem that delivers tons of fun and great platforming.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Little annoyed you all rank Mario World above Mario 3 when I was basically disappointed in it and thought it was a step back from 3, back then.

Getting second place in my book is extremely overlooked but awesome Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island.

Mario 64 can get 3rd and THEN 4th you have World.

Super Mario Bros.: It's a great game, but, personally, I can't rate it higher since I played this long after I played SM3 and, well, that sort of screwed up my perception of the game and I couldn't enjoy it for what it's worth. 8/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: Haha, I've always loved this game, despite being a black sheep of sorts to the series. I can't blame everyone else for thinking it doesn't quite fit, but something about the strangeness of the game makes me love it. 8/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: Tied with SMW as my favorite Mario game. I voted for this one mainly because it was the FIRST video game I ever played. It's incredibly enjoyable even today. 10/10

Super Mario Land: Never played it, though I guess I don't mind. I mean, Princess Daisy and...what's his face, the alien dude, I'm not losing sleep over never seeing. N/A

Super Mario World: This is freaking amazing and tied with SMW as my favorite and the best Mario game altogether. The powerups and Yoshi and the starworld and everything made it incredibly long-lasting. I don't see it as a step back from SM3 in any sort of way. 10/10

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: Never played it, though I should, since Wario is the man. N/A

Super Mario All-Stars: I didn't mind having four games together on the SNES. All they did was take those four and put them together and made them a little prettier; not like the SM64 -> SM64DS remake. 6/10

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: Never played it, although I really should. N/A

Super Mario 64: Just freaking amazing. Considering how spectacularly other series screwed up going from 2D to 3D, this is amazing. Definitely one of the best games of the series. The huge explorable levels with so many stars to get made this game last a LONG time and left it enjoyable for every minute. 10/10

Super Mario Sunshine: Holy crap, I agree with Zerowing 100% on this. I do not understand all the people complaining about FLUDD, especially the people who never played it. Cleaning crap was FUN and only a small, small part of the game. This game is so very superior to Galaxy in every way. The levels are huge with a lot to explore and were beautiful and I preferred the tropical setting and the music that went along with it to everything about Galaxy. I actually sort of enjoyed this more than SM64. Sunshine took everything that made SM64 awesome and improved on it. 10/10

New Super Mario Bros.: I don't own it but I did borrow it from a friend and beat it. It was incredibly fun and a good imitation of sorts of the old 2-D games. My only problem with it is that it was really, really short compared to SM3 and SMW. 8/10

Super Mario Galaxy: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this game is overrated. I found it okay at best; yes, the music is wonderful and the graphics are great, but this doesn't come close to 64 and Sunshine for me. The levels are far too linear and their structure usually annoyed me more than got my to enjoy it. Still, compared to other games and NOT Mario, it's high quality. Galaxy took everything that made SM64 awesome and kicked it in the balls. 7/10

Significant spin-off games: The Mario Kart series, definitely.

SM3, SMW, SM64, and Sunshine are definitely my favorite games of the series.

Super Mario World of the ones listed.

Super Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door were both ridiculously good, I don't know why people didn't like SPM but I honestly may have preferred it to both SMW and TYD.

Also Mario and Luigi is really damn good.

Super Mario World of the ones listed.

Super Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door were both ridiculously good, I don't know why people didn't like SPM but I honestly may have preferred it to both SMW and TYD.

Also Mario and Luigi is really damn good.
People dislike SPM because it completely lost the RPG style battling, and other RPG elements that made Paper Mario, and TYD enjoyable... that and all the bosses were ridiculously easy. Just use peach and umbrella and you can get through nearly every fight without losing 1hp.

I voted for Super Mario 64.

People dislike SPM because it completely lost the RPG style battling, and other RPG elements that made Paper Mario, and TYD enjoyable...
Well yeah, it was a different sort of game >_> but it was fun lol

And the bosses were really easy, but then again, so were all Mario bosses.

Super Mario World: 9/10. Absolutely classic, it was one of my very first video games and still remains one of my favorites. Good level design, tons of secrets, and plenty of challenge.

Super Mario Land: 5/10. Too short, didn't like the graphics, and the final level was weird.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: 7/10. Not special in any one way, not terrible either.

New Super Mario Bros.: 7.5/10. A lot of people liked this one, but I disliked several parts - the level design felt dull with a few exceptions (the rising lava and pipe levels were fun) and the new powerups weren't interesting to me, (Shell Mario's controls felt strange and Mega Mario was fun for the first time but boring afterwards, mini Mario was cool though) but it's still a solid Mario game. Some of the coin locations were just plain dumb, though.

Super Mario Galaxy: 9.5/10 - I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one too much (didn't like TP in comparison to previous LoZ games at all), but I was very pleasantly surprised. Good graphics, awesome music, some absurdly difficult levels (Luigi's Purple Coins), and some really awesome levels like Matter Splatter. My favorite Mario game so far.

Man, that's a short list. I really need to play SM64 sometime.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the issue with Galaxy is that its hub was horrible compared to Mario 64's castle. There was nothing to really explore and you just had to do some dumb repetitive platforming to get to the levels. In Mario 64, the castle itself was like a level to explore and discover. That was my biggest complaint with Galaxy.

I haven't played enough Mario titles to really rank them all. 64 was my favourite, but I grew up as a Genesis kid so my experiences are mostly with Sonic.

Good thread idea :) Though I should probably state now that I havebt played loads as I had a megadrive as a kid and am younger than you guys I think so even though super mario land was one of my first ever videogames I don't remember it at all though I know it's in my room somewhere

Super Mario Bros. - 7/10

Might be before my time, but who hasn't played this x)
Good fun, though my major gripe is not being able to go back to the left of the screen. Personally i reckon it aged really well and is still really fun and classic even today.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - 8/10

I find this one quite hard because I always try and rush anything and you have to complete a whole world before you can save. To be honest I preferred the version in mario all-stars (which I really like) but that doesn't change the fact that this is fantastic fun, with great graphics for the time
I have this on the VC though so I've barely got past world one -_-

Super Mario World - 10/10

I'm so torn between this and Galaxy for my favourite mario game. This is absolutely sublime, the best 2D mario game by a long way. Fantastic graphics, physics are spot on, tons of secrets, exceptional level design, I don't know what to say, this is just awesome in every way and probably tied with Kirby's Adventure for my favourite platformer ever!

Super Mario 64 - 6/10

I think this game is a bit overrated. I have played it multiple times and each one just doesn't really interest me that much. I think my main problem is returning to the same level so many times for missions with little atmosphere...I don't know, I can't really place it but I just don't think this is as deserving of all the acclaim it gets.

Super Mario All-stars - 8.5/10

See above, but improve the graphics and add them together. I don't get what's not to like, really.

New Super Mario Bros. - 9/10

Exactly what the classic needed to be great again :) A fantastic game, improving in so many areas, adding new secrets and an overworld. I love this game. It's close on the heels of SMW, but not quite the same level of quality.

Super Mario Galaxy - 10/10

I have to say I disagree with the comments everyone else have been making about galaxy. I think first and foremost, the soundtrack stands out as exceptional, but I also think the graphics were good for the wii, though they would be, dealing with space and planets etc.
The obseratory held no gripes for me, I felt that the expansive levels were where most of the exploring took place. My lone problem with galaxy was that the grand finale galaxy could have been better.

Top 3 Spinoffs:

Mario Kart Wii
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario (64)

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Super Mario Bros 3 is by far and away the best, but I think I am biased cause its the game i grew up with (even though im only 17 lol)

Instead of rating them I will just rank the ones I have played (which is most) and throw in the paper mario games since those count imo.

1) Super Mario Bros 3
2) Super Mario 64
3) Super Mario Sunshine
4) Paper Mario 2: TTYD
5) Super Mario World
6) Paper Mario
7) Super Mario Bros 2
8) Super Mario Galaxy - Way too easy and boring and ugh I own the game, got 30 stars in and got bored as hell, havent touched it since.
9) Super Mario Bros. - Before my time, it just doesnt have the "magic" for me i dont know.
10) Super Paper Mario - Piece of shit

I havent played the Super Mario Land games, New Super Mario Bros, Super Mario RPG or SMW2: Yoshi's Island. But by the sounds of it I should look into the last two!

Needs more Yoshi's Island love =[ Super Mario World/64 were really great too.

NSMB was way too short. It took me like 5 hours to get 100% ;/

edit: yeah I got 6000 points on yoshi's island aren't I the best! that was really hard though, the 6 extra? (the one with the spikes and lava) one has to be one of the most hellish levels in video games, period. I never got all the points on the DS one though, it just wasn't the same =[

I've left out some games because I've never really heard of them or played them.

Super Mario World This is the one for GBA, right? Anyway, I had fun using both Mario and Luigi, plus this was just a good game in general. I liked it. [7.5/10]

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Yoshi FTW. I loved this game. Using Yoshi made it so much more fun than it would normally be, but... I never finished it, partly because I didn't really care that Baby Luigi got kidnapped. I just liked playing levels over and over again. -shrug- [8/10]

Super Mario 64 This game was fun in all ways. The levels never got boring or dull, they were always fun and awesomely cool to do over again. The bosses were fun, no doubt, and some of the objectives to get stars were just great. [9/10]

Super Mario Sunshine Oh, wow. Just wow. Why does no one care for this game? It's amazing. I had so much fun playing Sunshine, the music was just so happy and catchy and so were the levels. But at the same time, the game wasn't too childish or easy. I <3 the secret levels... And it's true that cleaning the goop is only a small part of this awesome game. Delfino Plaza is win, as is chasing Shadow Mario. THE ENDING WAS EPIC. .___. [10/10]

New Super Mario Bros. Yay. NSMB is fun. I love the newer graphics and the powerups and... well, everything. But it's hard, too... I broke my DS playing it. >.> (I threw it against the wall in frustration. Maybe that's just me. xDDD) I'm such a noob. [8/10]

Super Mario Galaxy Fun game, great music... but EASY. The only reason I play it now is to do the Prankster comets... Still, It was good in general and some levels ARE amazing. [8/10]

Spinoffs Mario Kart is too good to be considered a spinoff, IMO. Double Dash!! is one of my favourite games, it's just... intense. I'm waiting to get a copy of MK Wii. :] Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door was fun... I loved the box/treasure chest/whatever that gave you the different powers. xD

Super Mario Bros.: I'm not exactly a huge fan of this one. It's not that it is bad by any means or anything, it's just that I like most other Mario games alot better. It's still a good game though, just not as good as the others IMO 7/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: I'm not too sure, I always found this one extremely wierd. While I really dislike the overall mechanics of this one with the vegetable pulling and everything, I think the ability to play as such dynamicly different characters adds alot to it, so yeah not one of my favorites, but I do kind of like it 7/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: Awesome, one of my favorite Mario games. The tons of hidden extras, great levels, and cool powerups make this overall a fantastic game. I think overall though, it's a tiny bit overrated, I mean it's great but IMO there are better mario games. It's still overall one of the better ones 9/10

Super Mario Land: never played it NA

Super Mario World: Oh my God I love this game way too much. It has an absolutely GIGANTIC world with literally hundreds of hidden extras and secrets, so many that I think I still have some stuff to unlock after years of playing it. Great gameplay, great levels, great powerups, probably my alltime favorite Mario game, and at the least my favorite 2D one 10/10

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins: again never played it NA

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: I never played it on the SNES or whatever system it came out on, but I do own it on gameboy advanced. OK with that being said this is definitely my second favorite 2D Mario game. It has great gameplay, awesome art design, a really great sound track, and is just overall a really great. memorable game 9.5/10

Super Mario 64: Tied with World IMO for alltime best Mario game. No 3D platformer has every really come close to how perfect this game is. Even years later, after I've already gotten every star not just once but probably hundreds of times, I'm still coming back to it. It stands in my mind as one of the best games ever made. 10/10

Super Mario Sunshine: Didn't exactly have the magic of 64, but I still found this game extremely enjoyable. The levels are absolutely beautiful, the soundtrack is superb, and the addition of the water gun thing is actually pretty neat. The few things I didn't like about it were that the control was a little worse than 64, and that the levels all seemed a little to similar, but that really doesn't change the fact that this is a great game 8.5/10

New Super Mario Bros.: I'm not a huge fan. OK I do really enjoy this game, but I thought it was much, much too easy and short. It's a Mario game, I shouldn't be completely and forever done with it in five and a half hours :/ 6/10

Super Mario Galaxy: So, I liked Galaxy alot, but it seemed to have even less of the Mario magic than Sunshine. Alot of the game is very, very easy, and the levels are all seem very small and shallow, not like the levels in 64 and Sunshine which seemed like there were secrets literally everywhere. This is still a fantastic game - the graphics and sound are incredible, the controls are close to perfect - it just doesn't seem as good as the other two 3D Marios. 8/10

And other Mario-esque games I will comment briefly on: Wario Land 2 is probably the best Gameboy game I have ever played, it is really absolutely fantastic, like a Mario game with a couple of twists. I also though Wario Land 4 was pretty cool, for GBA, but not exactly in the same league as 2

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. Super Mario World.

Good heavens this game is the pinnacle of 2D platforming. They even had air physics in Mario's Cape for cripes sake, and of course the LOL Mario Mask Koopas secret. Secret switches, Ghost Houses with multiple exits, and pretty much everything about the movement dynamics of Star Road.

If you wanted a ridiculous challenge, go through with no switches >_>

2. Super Mario Bros. 3

Definetely the Capstone of the original Mario games. Huge World, memorable enemy's and items (LOL jumping boot), even Warp Whistles heh.

3. Super Mario RPG

This game is awesome. Belome Quotes are cool, and of course Axem Rangers.

4. Super Mario Sunshine.

Got a lot of flack, but it is the Mac. (Speaking of Mack, see above)

5. Super Mario 64.

The quintessential 3D platformer. Did a lot for 3D platforming what Super Mario World did for 2D platforming.

It's a me Mario!

Steelicks, have i said that i love you?.

--Super Mario Bros.: Ok, i will keep it short and go straight to the point.Is fucking Super Mario Bros., it built almost on his own modern gaming and made a jump when things were getting stale, is fucking Super Mario Bros!!. 10/10

--Super Mario Bros. 2:The lost levels Well if we consider is just the same game with harder levels, is not bad is just for those that want more, is ok 7/10

--Super Mario Bros. 2: USA. This is the Mario bros 2 we grow up thinking was damn Mario bros 2, but is not!. While is a good game it is still another game with Mario's face slap on it.
7/10

--Super Mario Bros. 3: It is the best Mario game indeed, well...we can argue that, but is probably the best game on the NES also, very high ranked and loved.
It was revolutionary for the time, allowing Mario to go through a lot of levels, lots of power ups, fly, swim,the koopalings,warps,giant enemies, things that set it apart from games of the time.If you are a gamer you have to play it or played it in the past, i pity you if you don't!. 9.5/10

--Super Mario Land: This game was god for me back then (haha ok just for me i see). I mean the Game Boy alone was a great thing when it came out, and now you could play Mario in the car and everywhere, and it was fun!. It is crazy because it has things other Mario games didn't, like using a plane or submarine... 8/10

--Super Mario World: I got my SNES with this game, it shaped me on who i am. I remember i lied to stay home missing school just to find out how the hell to get up in the mountain (there is a small castle there) or find other secret paths.

It was gigantic, awesome levels, characters, enemies,less power ups than SMB 3 but well done and the best power-up turned out to be the best videogame side kick ever: Yoshi.

I played this few time after Super Mario Bros 3, and i can't decide yet which one i like the most, both can be the best Mario ever. 9/10

--Super Mario All-Stars: Oh please yes!, i have the originals and still sometimes i pop in this one because it was a nice version of them.Also was the only way to play the real Super Mario Bros. 2(Lost levels) back then 8/10

--Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island: Fuck yeah it should count as a Mario title, it was an awesome game that build up after how well received Yoshi was. A game beautiful on graphics, perfect and well done game play and let you go on your own pace (you can beat it and never care or you can get EVERYTHING 100%).Greatness. 8.5/10

--Super Mario 64: Mario 64 blow up my mind when it came out. It was still the same feeling of playing Mario, but on fucking 3-D and we all remember how awesome it was to feel 3-D back then (now is standard i guess). It was a Mario game that let you explore the levels, so free, so complete and with awesome graphics (for the time duh).

Now the best aspect was the control of Mario, you have total control over him, you can double jump, wall jump,slide, crawl, run, walk, bounce... EVERYTHING!, few games of the time give you this. I missed classic power ups like fire flower, but got new ones like "get though things", metal mario and new flying one 9.5/10

--Super Mario Sunshine: It is a good Mario game, it has all what made Mario great and is actually somewhat hard on certain things. Unfortunately it never will be anywhere near the greatness of it's predecessor. 7/10

--New Super Mario Bros.: I wonder why they took so long to bring 2-D Mario games again (i mean they made a lot of remakes for Advance but nothing new). This game has all things which made Mario great. My only complaint is it was too short and somewhat easy. 8/10

--Super Mario Galaxy: I still don't buy it, played it on a convention a month or so before launch and i hated the bee costume; but my ex gf hyped me to get it, as well as media and stuff. I will play it and then i will say if i like it or not. It looks good. ?/10

Significant spin-off games: Super Mario Kart, Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart DS, Super Mario RPG, Super Smash Bros? (i don't know if this is more a Mario spin off or a Kirby...), the Mario Bros arcade(decent, simple and fun) and Wrecking Crew? (jajaj not).

and...
--Paper Mario (N64). Well i didn't played it at the time it came out,downloaded it for virtual console, so probably that makes me not fully appreciate it. I find it boring, simple and only appealing on the graphical side, it has funny things but nothing more. 7/10

Before I say anything, I want to say that I went hard on some of these games, but they are all really great if you factor in the nastalgia aspect, but I was trying to view this them as fairly as possible. Here it goes!

Super Mario Bros - A decent forerunner for one of the most known series in gaming. The first of the "Super" Mario Bros to feature the elements that are still present today, this game is really good... but there are several unpolished qualities about it. Graphics were not the best for the system first of all. The map designs were real limited, with repeating level designs at points and plenty of koopas and goombas patrolling the ground throughout. Just a lack of variety is what really held this game back. 7/10

Super Mario Bros 2 (JP) - Literally could be called Super Mario Bros version 2.0. Sprites were changed up, but the overall graphics remained exactly the same. What I like about this version is that it is ALOT harder and while the themes between worlds don't change, the individual levels are more creative. 7.5/10

Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) - Doki Doki Panic with Mario characters. While I don't feel like explaining everything about it, it basically has a more linear physics engine and you run around more slowly. A nice plus is that this is the fisrt Mario game to feature themed worlds! 5.5/10

Super Mario Bros 3 - One of the best imo. Lot's of new power ups, a brightly colored map, plenty of different level designs (Heck, many of them have a puzzle to complete). Mario bros 3 also has many many more times the levels. 9/10

Super Mario World - Nintendo continued to only improve on their Mario formula and for SMW, they gained a more powerful system to work their magic on. Like SMB3, they had plenty of levels, worlds, etc. but the power ups dropped in number a little, and the cape can get you through entire levels at times... it can be used for really cheap reasons, but can be used for fun too. 9/10

Super Mario Kart - First item based racing game. This game was practically pure fun and entertainment. There was plenty of skill involved too,b ut the character sprites looked kind of weird. 9/10

Yoshi's Island - The masterpiece of platforming games. Yoshi's island has a lot of game play elements and a lot of levels that were both challenging and long... 10/10

Super Mario 64 - The first attempt at a 3D game. Pretty good for another forerunner, but other games such as Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 really came and showed it up. 8.5/10

Mario Kart 64 - A very great racing game, despite going down on the number of courses between SNES and 64. The levels are longer though and much more elaborate so it really doesn't hurt at all. The item balance for any Mario Kart game was at it's prime on this game imo and I wish that they would kind of nerf the items they have today. The biggest problem I have is that the game is real choppy and slow at times. 8/10
P.S. Battle mode was the best in 64

Mario Party - the ONLY one I will rate b/c the rest are crap. The concept hadn't been overused, and the mini games were the best during this time and the results didn't rely ENTIRELY on luck (In MP8, my friend purposely tried to lose, but won anyways). 8.5/10

Super Mario Sunshine - Graphics go up; gameplay and level designs go down. All I really want to say about it. 7.5/10

Mario Kart Double Dash - Despite what everyone says, I really believe that they refined the controls in this MK and the dual player system is pretty awesome and opens up new strategies with item holding and specials. Snaking was also becoming more effective in this game without making it a game breaking factor like it is on DS. 9.5/10

New Super Mario Bros - Isn't as fun as some of the more memorable games back in the 90's for some reason. Overall, it was really really easy. 7.5/10
P.S. Multiplayer is a blast though

Yoshi's Island 2 - I never got to play the game so Idk. ???/10

Super Mario Galaxy - To me, this game is like a perfect blend between Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario 64. A lot of refined controls, and Nintendo went crazy again with the new powerups. Levels were crazy, going upside down and all, and graphics are the best for Mario so far. 10/10

The scores are more in relation to other Mario games than games in general, as I feel it lets me express which games I like better more effectively.

Super Mario Bros.:
This game has held up fantastically. Responsive controls, tons of levels, and the right mix between challenging and fun. Simple? Yes, but when a game does so many things right, its hard to dock it points. 7/10

Super Mario Bros. 2: It's just frustratingly hard instead of challenging hard, and is more of an expansion pack to the original than anything. 5/10

Super Mario Bros. 3: This is the real Super Mario Bros. Sequel, and it expands and improves upon everything imaginable. Theres really nothing wrong with this game, but I will be honest: there are better Mario games. 8/10

Super Mario World: Basically does to Super Mario Bros. 3 what SMB3 did to the original game: apply liberal amounts of polish and expand the game dramatically. This resulted in what is, in my opinion, the best 2D Mario game of them all. 10/10

Super Mario 64: A game more fondly remembered due to its revolutionizing the way we played video games than its quality (which was certainly not lacking!). 120 stars and tons of other secrets as well as expansive areas to explore make this game an experience. The controls and camera have aged a bit, but still are largely complaint-free (which some 3D games in this generation have trouble claiming). 9/10

Super Mario Sunshine: Adding FLUDD to the game was honestly an awesome idea, as it opened up new venues of platforming. The game looks great, is fun to play, and has one of the most unique atmospheres of any game ever. Unfortunately, the camera could have used some more work (and often didn't behave as well as 64's did, at least for me), and FLUDD was a bit more complicated than I would have liked. While its not a truly remarkable entry in the series, its hardly the misstep many claim it to be. 7/10

Super Mario Galaxy:
Essentially taking everything good about Super Mario 64, and refining it, again like Super Mario Bros. 3 did to the original game. The result? Pure Mario-brand Awesome. I got all 120 Stars and enjoyed- no, LOVED- every minute of it. 10/10

NEW Super Mario Bros.: Classic 2D Mario Gameplay? Check! Beautiful 3D graphics? Check! Tight Controls? Check! Sounds like a formula for success? I would agree. The main game is unfortunately short, but there are two entire extra worlds, as well as the quest to get all of the Big Coins (which are still elusive). 8/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)