Life Orb

(Before anyone says anything, I got Gen's approval first. Now, with that out of the way...)

It is common knowledge that Gen IV was a far more offensive metagame than Gen III, but the question is, why? You might give credit to a new physical-special split that allowed more Pokemon to enjoy STAB and coverage. You might point to new high-power moves like Close Combat, Outrage, Focus Blast, Stone Edge, and Draco Meteor becoming the norm. It would be reasonable to bring up Choice Specs (and Scarf) and Nasty Plot, finally allowing special attackers to attack like their physical cousins. But for the most part, these were extensions of what we had already seen. We already knew what STAB and coverage was, how to use base 120 attacks, and the potential of Swords Dance and Choice Band.

However, one addition to the 4th gen metagame was completely unprecedented. Nothing like it had been seen before that wasn't exclusive to a single Pokemon. This new item that would have fit like a glove on Team Rocket fell into our hands, and with it came the push that drove Pokemon as we know it to Offense lane.

When this item is held by a Pokémon, the damage from the moves used by the holder is increased by 30%. The holder loses 10% of their maximum HP each turn.
Back when 4th gen was starting out, this was unheard of. Here we had the perfect item for sweepers, an item that significantly (1.3x, not that 1.1x nonsense) boosted ALL moves its holder used, with a cost that didn't completely change the style of the holder like Choice did. Instead the price was paid in HP, a tenth at a time. As this replaced Leftovers on physical, special, and mixed attackers who liked switching moves, stall had a hard time catching up to the boosts, and so, the metagame as a whole became more offensive.

When using the Life Orb, however, one cannot forget that you can no longer expect your pokemon to have any bulk what so ever. The cost in HP drove the metagame even more offensive, as bulky attackers who liked leftovers either missed out on the boost or sacrificed their selling point. If you take a hit, suddenly that seemingly arbitrary recoil will catch up with your precious sweeper. Plus, with Sandstorm, hazards, and priority around to stack with Life Orb, you may die before you even get to do much.

Unless, of course, you have Sheer Force or Magic Guard, in which case you can abuse Life Orb for free. If you have Sheer Force and you use a move affected by it, you don't take Life Orb recoil. Magic Guard makes you immune to passive damage, and this includes Life Orb recoil.

Life Orb is an incredibly influential item that represents the offensive shift in the transition from Gen III to Gen IV, and now in Gen V it's as strong as ever, with even more ways to abuse it for all it's got.

What has Life Orb done for the 5th generation metagame. How is it influenced the way we play the game currently, and how so?

In my opinion, Life Orb has slowly declined the use of stall throughout the metagame, caused a more specialized EV system (Things that can be KO'd with LO with x EV's) and completely redifined the terms "bulky sweeper" and "wallbreaker"

I fell as if Wallbreaking is easier than ever with the new power boosts and the ability to switch moves, effectively removing defensive cores completely with a set of 3/4 moves designed specifically to take them out (sort of how TyraniBoah worked, but that was 3rd gen with less bulky walls) with specialized EV's. It also has led to a somewhat dependence on a Life Orb for some pokemon. Say your Specially-Based Infernape has X Ev's to 2HKO a Jellicent with Stone Edge, but early game a Rotom-W comes in and Tricks your Life Orb away. You are now unable to stop one of your main counters and lose many OHKO's on your sweep, ending it early.

Bulky sweepers also use a Life Orb to somewhat assist them in sweeping (3 Attack+Recover Latios, Venasaur in Sun, and Reuniclus). This means that some sweepers can start to invest in bulk, not power, and have the same degree of damage output, but with more bulk to compensate. This is obviously only meant to be placed on some sweepers, not many, as the LO recoil will generally kill the sweeper itself.

Also, the Life Orb has caused an immediate increase in power since its introduction to the game. There are teams of hyper offense with 6 Life Orbs, Excadrill item for a period of time was nearly exclusively a Life Orb, after its usefulness was hyped-up in a Smogcast and how it scored many KO's compared to Balloon, and it also means the sheer versatility of Pokemon has increased as well. For example, it means Pokemon can boost, ans well as have their attack's power boosted aswell (DD+LO Haxorus...seriously, have you ever tried to take a +2 LO Outrage from that with a steel? Good luck). Pokemon sets (Mixed Infernape, MixMence and Starmie) owe so much of their success to the Life Orb. Honestly, do you think MixMence would have been ever near as threatening without a Life Orb? But the Life Orb also has had one more effect, the increase in Mixed Sweepers.

Mixed sweepers owe nearly everything to the Life Orb and couldn't pull of their sets nearly as effectively without it. Mence, Flygon (4th gen), Blaziken, Deoxys-S, all thrive on the fact that the Life Orb will bolster their strengths to even greater levels.

A game without a Life Orb, I believe, would have a much greater usage in stall and much less mixed and specialized sweepers. The game itself would be bulkier and harder to break though, sans Life Orb. If anyone has actually read all this, thank you for reading.

TL;DR- Yay for the Life Orb and Infernape.

Life Orb is an amazingly potent item and was a very welcome addition to the game. It forced people to consider boosted attacks and adjust spreads/sets accordingly, and personally I find it fun to use. 10% hp a turn adds up very fast, so some prediction and ballsiness is required to get the maximum effect from the item.

All in all, a refreshing and unique hold item that is welcome on any offensive mon.

Sheer Force + Life Orb is one of the greatest bluffing tools evah! It's been known about since the beginning but still seems so underrated. I can bring LO Nidoking on a faster, Earth Power-or-Ice Beam-weak threat, hit the switch in hard and finish it with an SE move, or if necessary switch out and save my "Scarfed" King for later. Now that's cool.

On the other hand, Life Orb can be such a double-edged sword... that extra power really helps Substitute Moxiekrow sweep, but your sweep only lasts about 3 Pokemon because Krow gets worn down by then!

The decision between a choice item and life orb can be difficult. Choice items lets you hit hard or fast without boosting, but locks you into one move. Life Orb has more versatility and lets you run mixed or boosting sets but recoil can be deadly.

I really think that Life Orb is a huge reason that pokemon like Celebi and Lucario were so deadly in 4th gen (and even more so now!). Pokemon like Celebi who can run multiple sets and have great bulk and typing really benefit so much from Life Orb. Because Celebi can run Max Hp and some speed/defenses and dump leftover EV's into either SpA or Atk and deal some nice damage without having to invest more than a few EV's. (and by a few I mean like 80). Pokemon like Lucario are slightly different, Lucario has pretty good offensive stats but they are not phenomenal. Yet Lucario got boosting moves to compensate for the good, but not fantastic, offensive stats. But the next thing you notice about Lucario is he only has a base 90 speed meaning he is outsped by a lot. Lucario also gets priority to compensate for this as well. However, without Life Orb there are many things that Lucario cannot KO even with a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot boost. Physically Bulky Zapdos isn't 2HKO'd by a +2 Extreme Speed even after Stealth Rock unless Lucario has Life Orb. Even Sub Roost Zapdos isn't a surefire 2HKO after Stealth Rock. It's bulky Pokemon Celebi and Pokemon with huge movepools/great boosting moves but low speed that really shine with Life Orb. These Pokemon are what make the metagame as offensive as it is.

I really think that Life Orb is a huge reason that pokemon like Celebi and Lucario were so deadly in 4th gen (and even more so now!). Pokemon like Celebi who can run multiple sets and have great bulk and typing really benefit so much from Life Orb. Because Celebi can run Max Hp and some speed/defenses and dump leftover EV's into either SpA or Atk and deal some nice damage without having to invest more than a few EV's. (and by a few I mean like 80). Pokemon like Lucario are slightly different, Lucario has pretty good offensive stats but they are not phenomenal. Yet Lucario got boosting moves to compensate for the good, but not fantastic, offensive stats. But the next thing you notice about Lucario is he only has a base 90 speed meaning he is outsped by a lot. Lucario also gets priority to compensate for this as well. However, without Life Orb there are many things that Lucario cannot KO even with a Swords Dance or Nasty Plot boost. Physically Bulky Zapdos isn't 2HKO'd by a +2 Extreme Speed even after Stealth Rock unless Lucario has Life Orb. Even Sub Roost Zapdos isn't a surefire 2HKO after Stealth Rock. It's bulky Pokemon Celebi and Pokemon with huge movepools/great boosting moves but low speed that really shine with Life Orb. These Pokemon are what make the metagame as offensive as it is.
wat

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Celebi's typing is more situational than anything, resistances to fighting / ground / electric / water / grass / psychic are REALLY good, and it's bulk is good too, 100/100/100 is a lot better than it first appears.

LO just defines certain pokemon, it makes pokemon like infernape / lucario able to deal JUST the right amount of damage to certain threats and prevents select pokemon from becoming checks.

In terms of effects of the metagame, it enables pokemon to become a lot more potent, and without it playstyles like hyper offense would be a lot more difficult, and probably a lot less deadly.

I have mixed feelings about Life Orb.

On one hand, it's assuredly a greatly flexible and potent tool for offensive-minded teams.

On the other, it really negates any bulk the bearer could have without it.
All too often have I managed to get that Dragon Dance with Mence only to have it drop dead from recoil after a couple turns. To the point where I just replaced it with a Lum Berry, which makes grabbing boosts way easier. Mence is at 5% health after his second DD ? It doesn't have one damn to give, it's not going to burn out like a candle that reached its end.

I can certainly see it being the item of choice for other kinds of mon though.

Magic Guard users, and why not Sheer Force too, for whom there is literally no downside to carrying a Life Orb. Running a LO Alakazam myself, and man does it ever wreck stuff.

Also, mons that already are frail don't lose much ; it's not like they can take a hit in the first place, so any extra HP (read : every one except the last) could as well be put to good use to "fuel" a 30% boost. Infernape is of course a perfect example.

Lastly, wallbreakers or all-out attackers that want to avoid being locked by a Choice item get a lot more offensive presence with a Life Orb. The difference between MixMence and my aforementioned DD Mence is that the former is too busy dishing out punishment right off the bat and applying immediate offensive pressure to care about recoil, while the latter tends to get a bit roughed up trying to find a good spot to dance.

Despite running a HO team, I can only find two LO on it : Infernape and Alakazam. Conkeldurr is much happier with Leftovers (or Choice Band), as are bulky attackers generally speaking ; Heatran loves his Air Balloon, and he's not the only one ; besides Nape, my stat-uppers prefer to bring a Lum Berry to set up with ease on Scald or Thunder Wave. I don't feel like it's the be-all and end-all of offense.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb is a double edged sword, and the recoil damage is plain awful for some Pokemon. You can't give it to just any sweeper.

Inversely, does anyone else think that Stall could benefit from LO? If you can take the hits, an opponent holding a LO can be quickly worn down, and checked / eliminated with little effort.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The absolute best user of Life Orb is Trick Room Reuniclus. Seriously, Reuniclus is pretty revolutionary in the fact that it can set up Trick Room and immediately sweep with it (unlike Slowbro, whose Special Attack is lower Special Attack and no Magic Guard, albeit with better coverage). Like any Trick Room sweeper, it has absolutely no need for any Speed EVs and thus can invest in bulk and full power. Its three move coverage is fantastic: Psychic and Focus Blast hit everything for neutral damage besides pure Psychic-types, Spiritomb, and Sableye; add Shadow Ball into the mix and you're covered. Psyshock deals 45.9% - 54.2% to 252 / 252 Bold Blissey, which is a guaranteed 3HKO and possible 2HKO with entry hazards + sand/hail, and 34.1% - 40.2% to 252 / 252 Bold Eviolite Chansey (guaranteed 3HKO, easier without Leftovers). Of course, if you'd rather boost Reuniclus's firepower and bulk even further, Calm Mind can go over Trick Room, allowing Reuniclus to keep its 3 move coverage.

Jolly Darmanitan sports 379 x 1.3 x 1.3 = 639 Attack for its Sheer Force boosted moves, Adamant is 702. STAB Flare Blitz (in the Sun!) is frightening, but you receive recoil both from it and Life Orb. That's just the price you pay. Make sure that it's worth it; make sure you're getting all the KOs you need.

Life Orb is a double edged sword, and the recoil damage is plain awful for some Pokemon. You can't give it to just any sweeper.

Inversely, does anyone else think that Stall could benefit from LO? If you can take the hits, an opponent holding a LO can be quickly worn down, and checked / eliminated with little effort.
Oh Stall does benefit from an opponent holding life orb sometimes, but the issue is frequently that the Pokemon carrying the Life Orb tends to be one that doesn't have issues with stall. Think about the Pokemon that carry Life orb most often; Stat boosters and mixed attackers. Now think about what stalling Pokemon have trouble walling. Yeah, stat boosters and mixed attackers.

On the other hand, if you happen to have the right wall for the job you can take advantage of the life orb damage. For instance, my Vaporeon carries Haze and is a mixed wall, so Life orb users tend to flounder against it. Boosting doesn't work and she just laughs off your attempts to hit her "weaker" defensive side (thanks to my spread, my Vaporeon actually has slightly HIGHER Def than SpD). It can actually be very helpful to her, since it means she doesn't even have to bother inflicting status on the life orb user; she can just let them murder themselves through life orb recoil.

The absolute best user of Life Orb is Trick Room Reuniclus. Seriously, Reuniclus is pretty revolutionary in the fact that it can set up Trick Room and immediately sweep with it (unlike Slowbro, whose Special Attack is lower Special Attack and no Magic Guard, albeit with better coverage). Like any Trick Room sweeper, it has absolutely no need for any Speed EVs and thus can invest in bulk and full power. Its three move coverage is fantastic: Psychic and Focus Blast hit everything for neutral damage besides pure Psychic-types, Spiritomb, and Sableye; add Shadow Ball into the mix and you're covered. Psyshock deals 45.9% - 54.2% to 252 / 252 Bold Blissey, which is a guaranteed 3HKO and possible 2HKO with entry hazards + sand/hail, and 34.1% - 40.2% to 252 / 252 Bold Eviolite Chansey (guaranteed 3HKO, easier without Leftovers). Of course, if you'd rather boost Reuniclus's firepower and bulk even further, Calm Mind can go over Trick Room, allowing Reuniclus to keep its 3 move coverage.

Jolly Darmanitan sports 379 x 1.3 x 1.3 = 639 Attack for its Sheer Force boosted moves, Adamant is 702. STAB Flare Blitz (in the Sun!) is frightening, but you receive recoil both from it and Life Orb. That's just the price you pay. Make sure that it's worth it; make sure you're getting all the KOs you need.
Yeah, what he said. What happens is that any move used boosted by Sheer Force gets the LO boost without recoil. However if using a non affected move (ie hammer arm) then you take the recoil

There's another Magic Guard 'mon that could compete with Reuniclus for that title. Alakazam doesn't need TR to be effective, and boasts massive Speed and Special Attack that is made even more devastating by a recoil-free Life Orb. Unlike Reuniclus, Zam doesn't need TR to sweep, but he does get the same Psychic/Psyshock, Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball combination that Reuniclus holds so dear. Both are amazing in different ways, if you're describing the best Life Orb user, you can't not mention Alakazam.

One of the coolest things about Life Orbs is that often times, dying from Life Orb recoil may not be so bad. For example, if you have a 15% +1 Lucario in against a Gyarados, you can just use CC two times (or CC then ESpeed) and you won't have wasted the momentum switching out. This obviously is quite important for HO teams, who deal with having to maintain offensive pressure.

One of the coolest things about Life Orbs is that often times, dying from Life Orb recoil may not be so bad. For example, if you have a 15% +1 Lucario in against a Gyarados, you can just use CC two times (or CC then ESpeed) and you won't have wasted the momentum switching out. This obviously is quite important for HO teams, who deal with having to maintain offensive pressure.
I didn't think of that. Using Life Orb recoil to your advantage to preserve momentum is a very nice way of using everything you have to your advantage. If someone cal successfully do something like that, you have kudos from me.

In fact, i already used something like this in RU: Abusing Honch's Brave bird recoil.

The problem with the LO recoil is that its much harder to calculate properly so you will faint in the right time.

Reuniclus is much better than Alakazam, sorry Spenstar. Its ability to not be ousped by anything (ok, relaxed ferrothorn may outspeed it ¬¬) and its (much) better bulk make it a much harder threat to take down. Also, the support provided by TR can be awesome. Alakazam IS noteworthy and really useful, but Reuniclus is much better, hands down.

I don't think Alakazam or Reuniclus, one of these have to be better than the other one. They are just different, in one situation one will be better than the one, but it is all, in pokemon rarely a pokemon is always better than one bar the obvious ones, Kyogre is better than Caterpie.

I think OU enviroment is in a way Alakazam has more difficult to succeed than Reuniclus, but the risk could be rewarded. I didn't test it to affirm now completly, though.

imo what's Zam's main issue right now is his lol bulk, meaning that if he's carrying a LO you have to somehow pray that he can survive just about any priority attack (he's 2HKO'd by Conk's Mach Punch, not very impressive considering he resists it)

Unlike Reuniclus, who can abuse his bulk to repeatedly CM-rape in the face of the opponent, Alakazam takes hits like a wet tissue...

Also, just wanting to note that Reuniclus has the option of going SpA+, since he doesn't really need to outspeed anyone, but for Zam, 120 is still somewhat ridiculous for a speed tier, and going Modest automatically drops his speed to 105+, immediately making him threatened by a buttload of stuff (Gengar, Terrakion, etc.). At the end of the day, Reuniclus > Alakazam...

Sheer Force + Life Orb completely wrecks. Unfortunately, Darminatan is the only one that can really abuse it to an extent.

Reuniclus just has it better. Zam has such tight EV's and a must-have nature that it makes playing with almost impossible, especially with the speed ties left and right.

TR Reuniclus can do some serious damage to a team that isn't ready. Ferro isn't doing anything back to Reuniclus if you're carrying Magic Guard, and you can set up another Trick Room if Ferro won't die quickly.

Sheer Force + Life Orb completely wrecks. Unfortunately, Darminatan is the only one that can really abuse it to an extent.
Nidoking says hi

Nidoking@Lifeorb
252 SPA 4 DEF 252 SPE
Modest
Earth power
Fire Blast
Thunder Bolt
Ice Beam

With sheer force, life orb, and Max SPA, Nidoking reaches 498 SPA with the ability to switch attacks, decent bulk, and argurably one of the best special movepools. The best reciever to baton pass I've ever seen.

Nidoking is just to slow and frail for it do any sweeping, it needs to be passed some speed or its just to easy to kill and sheer force doesn't boost it's SpA just the base power of it's moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)