Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

While it may seem like Alomomola faces stiff competition from Pokémon such as Slowbro and Quagsire, its massive HP stat, huge wishes, and regenerator ability give it a notable niche over the other bulky water types in the tier. Thanks to its impressive bulk, this RU Pokémon can stall out many of the powerful physical attackers in OU with just toxic/wish/protect, and also threaten to cripple them with scald burns. Regenerator allows it to pivot throughout the match, giving it longevity and also letting it pass wishes to its teammates without having to worry as much about its own health. A great team player, just don't let it become setup bait, or expect too much out of it, and it's sure to pull its weight.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 170-201 (31.8 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 195-231 (36.5 - 43.2%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 223-264 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 231-273 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 195-229 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 229-270 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 199-235 (37.2 - 44%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 178-211 (33.3 - 39.5%) -- 18.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 215-253 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 157-186 (29.4 - 34.8%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald

While it may seem like Alomomola faces stiff competition from Pokémon such as Slowbro and Quagsire, its massive HP stat, huge wishes, and regenerator ability give it a notable niche over the other bulky water types in the tier. Thanks to its impressive bulk, this RU Pokémon can stall out many of the powerful physical attackers in OU with just toxic/wish/protect, and also threaten to cripple them with scald burns. Regenerator allows it to pivot throughout the match, giving it longevity and also letting it pass wishes to its teammates without having to worry as much about its own health. A great team player, just don't let it become setup bait, or expect too much out of it, and it's sure to pull its weight.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 170-201 (31.8 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 195-231 (36.5 - 43.2%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 223-264 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 231-273 (43.2 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 195-229 (36.5 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 229-270 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 199-235 (37.2 - 44%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 178-211 (33.3 - 39.5%) -- 18.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 215-253 (40.2 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 157-186 (29.4 - 34.8%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
I've been using Knock Off in place of Scald, Mola's scald never does any damage against anything and Mola doesn't have the opportunity to stay in long enough to spam it for burns like say, Quagsire where Scald is a viable option to spam for burns on things like Mega Scizor. Knock Off has some utility knocking off Life Orbs and what not. Protect also isn't super necessary thanks to Regenerator either, Mola has some utility moves like Mirror Coat it can use to surprise Deoxys-D and protect against Ferrothorn lacking Power Whip.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald / Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Alright before I begin my explanation I just want to make it clear that I am aware of the other Manaphy post on this thread; however, my Manaphy build/play style is noticeably different so I figured it could warrant its own post. So here we go! :D

As you guys could probably tell, I like to use Manaphy not as a bulky water type but as a strong set-up sweeper. This awesome pokemon can pretty much do whatever you want it to do: due to its 100 base stats across the board and a GREAT special/support learnset, the possibilities are almost limitless! It's ability is still useful even without rain dance in its learnset: free status recovery of any type is great no matter what in my book. My reasoning for making Manaphy a special sweeper WITH leftovers is derived mostly from its 100 base stats in its hp and defenses. With this natural bulk, getting off a tail glow or 2 is not incredibly hard. Being pure water type is a great boon for Manaphy as well: with only 2 weaknesses, it really lacks any immediate threats save Manetric, Rotom-W, and Venasaur, to name a few. But that's not what the issue is: the issue is what pokemon similar to Manaphy in OU do its job better? Besides the non-alike sweepers (dragon dancers users etc.) the Pokemon that need to be considered include mons like Keldeo, Greninja, Azumarill, and Gyarados (yes it is a DD user but its still water type). So now why do I believe that Manaphy can hold a candle to these 4 heavily used OU pokemon? The first reason is that I believe Manaphy is actually a useful counter to 3 of them right off the bat: Keldeo, Greninja, and Azumarill. With 1 tail glow under its belt, Manaphy can 1HKO Greninja and Keldeo right off the get go no questions asked. Now you might ask yourself: both of them have higher base speed! While that is true, Manaphy has MUCH greater bulk/survivability than both of them hands down. Sure they get 1 attack off but with the natural bulk + leftovers + surf/energy ball + 1 tail glow they don't stand a chance. Basically, Manaphy is a very safe pokemon to set up with (even more so if you predict your opponents moves accurately) and is VERY hard to shut down once it gets rolling. It can take a Brave Bird from Talonflame with very little issues, and can safely switch into a single DD from Garchomp/Dragonite and either force a recall or tank a hit and 1HKO (needs 1 tail glow to 1HKO D-nite with Multiscale). Leftovers also GREATLY helps in the survivability of Manaphy: sure, other items can help increase its offensive power even more... but once you get rolling with Manaphy you'll see why the extra offensive stats don't really matter.

All in all, Manaphy has an amazing mix of survivability and sweeping potential that could easily allow it become a serious threat in OU: heck, it already is for me :D Thanks for reading this massive wall of text and feel free to ask me to add something if you have any questions (I'm writing this at like 1 a.m. lol).

tl:dr Manaphy, while it may not have the best base speed or special attack in OU, is the complete package that can desecrate anything it wants with its great sweeping potential, amazing coverage, and awesome bulk (for a sweeper :P)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald / Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Alright before I begin my explanation I just want to make it clear that I am aware of the other Manaphy post on this thread; however, my Manaphy build/play style is noticeably different so I figured it could warrant its own post. So here we go! :D

As you guys could probably tell, I like to use Manaphy not as a bulky water type but as a strong set-up sweeper. This awesome pokemon can pretty much do whatever you want it to do: due to its 100 base stats across the board and a GREAT special/support learnset, the possibilities are almost limitless! It's ability is still useful even without rain dance in its learnset: free status recovery of any type is great no matter what in my book. My reasoning for making Manaphy a special sweeper WITH leftovers is derived mostly from its 100 base stats in its hp and defenses. With this natural bulk, getting off a tail glow or 2 is not incredibly hard. Being pure water type is a great boon for Manaphy as well: with only 2 weaknesses, it really lacks any immediate threats save Manetric, Rotom-W, and Venasaur, to name a few. But that's not what the issue is: the issue is what pokemon similar to Manaphy in OU do its job better? Besides the non-alike sweepers (dragon dancers users etc.) the Pokemon that need to be considered include mons like Keldeo, Greninja, Azumarill, and Gyarados (yes it is a DD user but its still water type). So now why do I believe that Manaphy can hold a candle to these 4 heavily used OU pokemon? The first reason is that I believe Manaphy is actually a useful counter to 3 of them right off the bat: Keldeo, Greninja, and Azumarill. With 1 tail glow under its belt, Manaphy can 1HKO Greninja and Keldeo right off the get go no questions asked. Now you might ask yourself: both of them have higher base speed! While that is true, Manaphy has MUCH greater bulk/survivability than both of them hands down. Sure they get 1 attack off but with the natural bulk + leftovers + surf/energy ball + 1 tail glow they don't stand a chance. Basically, Manaphy is a very safe pokemon to set up with (even more so if you predict your opponents moves accurately) and is VERY hard to shut down once it gets rolling. It can take a Brave Bird from Talonflame with very little issues, and can safely switch into a single DD from Garchomp/Dragonite and either force a recall or tank a hit and 1HKO (needs 1 tail glow to 1HKO D-nite with Multiscale). Leftovers also GREATLY helps in the survivability of Manaphy: sure, other items can help increase its offensive power even more... but once you get rolling with Manaphy you'll see why the extra offensive stats don't really matter.

All in all, Manaphy has an amazing mix of survivability and sweeping potential that could easily allow it become a serious threat in OU: heck, it already is for me :D Thanks for reading this massive wall of text and feel free to ask me to add something if you have any questions (I'm writing this at like 1 a.m. lol).

tl:dr Manaphy, while it may not have the best base speed or special attack in OU, is the complete package that can desecrate anything it wants with its great sweeping potential, amazing coverage, and awesome bulk (for a sweeper :P)
Doesn't TG Manaphy run Timid? Could have sworn it did since it is in the Base 100 club.

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed
- Will-o-Wisp
- Substitute / Seed Bomb

Just a fun set - by no means super serious in OU but still overlooked by a lot of people and can function well on certain teams (especially defensively oriented ones). Geist has sickening physical bulk. Like seriously sickening. After a burn, pretty much nothing is touching you on the physical side.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 312-368 (83.4 - 98.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Aerilate burned Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 156-184 (41.7 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I know a lot of people prefer dumping EVs into Spdef to level out defences, but I personally feel that this is somewhat outside of Gourgeist's role. He functions particularly well on stall teams which need lots of switch-ins to things anyway, so you should be relying on teammates to take special hits for the most part.

The moves on this set have ridiculously good synergy when played correctly. Start out with seed-wisp or wisp-seed depending on the situation. Usually wisp is used first vs physical attackers that can just about hit you hard, as they lose the ability to do so afterwards and the road to recovery is cleared. Then seed goes down and you have double residual + recovery. Then you can Phantom Force if they stay in to get a free turn of recovery and residual. Then, if you predict a switch, you can wisp or seed again to hopefully start the process anew.

Substitute is my preferred option these days, as the sheer physical bulk you possess means that many threats will fail to break a sub in one hit (especially after the burn). Gourgeist is slow anyway, so you're often guaranteed to get one up, which gives you a free turn to play with. Seed Bomb can also be used for a bit of extra coverage, and Gourgeist actually has a fairly decent attack stat so he can make it work when some offensive pressure is needed.

Overall, I've had some hilarious rage quits using this set and would recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new. Adds fantastic team support to stall and semi-stall particularly, and can help recover teammates and soften wallbreakers.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Just read a previous post about sticking to Pokemon who've been cleared in viability rankings. Feel free to delete this post, although I believe Gourgeist has some relevance in Stall, even in OU.

EDIT EDIT: Just realised that Gourgeist-Small is in the viability rankings anyway. I assume this is cool to stay up?

Last edited:

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Raikou is a great 'mon, even though he's low in usage, with a great special attack, and excellent speed, allowing him to surpass overused stuff like mega pinsir, adamant talonflame, thundurus, keldeo and so on, threating them with a powerful thunderbolt or simply volt switching to stil retain the momentum we can easily see, how can raikou, while not Overused can fill a great niche in the Metagame, Assault Vest allows him to tank powerful special moves like keldeo's hydro pump, and kill him back with thunderbolt, while still being faster than him, volt switch it's still a great move this gen.
Giving him the ability to easily gain momentum, hidden power ice is for those pesky dragons, especially Garchomp and Dragonite, while Shadow Ball is a coverage move, and truth to be said, with steel nerf it's not really that bad as a choice.
Great teammates for Raikou can be: Latios, since Psyshock is a great way to kill Chansey/Blissey, who otherwise give Raikou some serious trouble, deoxys-s and deoxys-d are also great additions, since sr+spikes, can easily give pressure against the opponent, combined with "volt switching".
Another partner that should be considered is Landorus-t, with a ground immunity, access to Stealth Rocks, and U-turn to form a "Volturn Core" he pairs up nicely with raikou, intimidate also should not be forgotten, considering how raikou's item is assault vest.
Is Raikou better than Mega Manectric?
While Mega Manectric has access on fire type moves, greater Satk and Speed, does not have Assault Vest Raikou bulk, not only that, MManectric takes the "Mega Slot" of the team, while Raikou does not.

Last edited:
Doesn't TG Manaphy run Timid? Could have sworn it did since it is in the Base 100 club.
Timid would make sense due to Manaphy's speed maxing out at 299 w/o a +Spd nature (a decent amount of 302 and 303 pokes in OU when given 252 speed evs) but honestly it just comes down to personal preference, I like the increased SpA since Manaphy has natural bulk and has leftovers at its disposal (it can take a hit or 2 while dealing more damage to the target than it receives.)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Raikou is a great 'mon, even though he's low in usage, with a great special attack, and excellent speed, allowing him to surpass overused stuff like mega pinsir, adamant talonflame, thundurus, keldeo and so on, threating them with a powerful thunderbolt or simply volt switching to stil retain the momentum we can easily see, how can raikou, while not Overused can fill a great niche in the Metagame, Assault Vest allows him to tank powerful special moves like keldeo's hydro pump, and kill him back with thunderbolt, while still being faster than him, volt switch it's still a great move this gen.
Giving him the ability to easily gain momentum, hidden power ice is for those pesky dragons, especially Garchomp and Dragonite, while Shadow Ball is a coverage move, and truth to be said, with steel nerf it's not really that bad as a choice.
Great teammates for Raikou can be: Latios, since Psyshock is a great way to kill Chansey/Blissey, who otherwise give Raikou some serious trouble, deoxys-s and deoxys-d are also great additions, since sr+spikes, can easily give pressure against the opponent, combined with "volt switching".
Another partner that should be considered is Landorus-t, with a ground immunity, access to Stealth Rocks, and U-turn to form a "Volturn Core" he pairs up nicely with raikou, intimidate also should not be forgotten, considering how raikou's item is assault vest.
Is Raikou better than Mega Manectric?
While Mega Manectric has access on fire type moves, greater Satk and Speed, does not have Assault Vest Raikou bulk, not only that, MManectric takes the "Mega Slot" of the team, while Raikou does not.
Shadow Ball should be replaced with Extrasensoy for Mega Venusaur.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget this little monster:

I will end you
Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-Create
- Bolt Strike
- U-Turn
- Trick

So one of the most powerful Wall Breakers in the game is a Pokemon with only base 100 offenses...........WAT? In all serious though, Victini is a Wall Breaker not because of its offensive stats, but because of its ludicrously powerful signature move: V-Create. Just to give you an idea of how powerful this move it, without STAB it has the same base power as STAB Outrage. Victini does have STAB on V-Create though, raising an already ridiculous 180 base power move to a stupid 270 base power. Bolt Strike is one of Victini's few coverage options that out damages a resisted V-Create when used on a Pokemon that is weak to it. It is also an just powerful enough to be an effective cleaning tool should you want to avoid V-Create's nasty stat drops and has fantastic coverage along side V-Create in general. These are the only 2 moves that Victini needs to be quite frank, since both of them covers a good amount of the OU metagame. U-Turn is get Victini out of dodge vs the small percent that actually can take on Victini rather well due to V-Create's nasty stat drops, or because they have a good match up vs Victini in general. Tricking away you Choice Band is an option against Heatran. Victini should be used as a Hit and Run attacker since it is easily forced out after nuking something with V-Create

Problems CB Victini faces come from its typing and V-Create recoil. Statwise, 100 / 100 / 100 Defenses Fire / Psychic typing makes it hard to bring in due to the random Knock Off's flying around in XY OU. The Psychic-typing also make Vic weak to Sucker Punch meaning that it can't take on Bisharp or Mawile which is a shame although both of them get utterly roasted when switching in. The Fire-typing, despite having the most resistances second to only Steel-type, gives Victini a crippling Stealth Rock weakness although removing Stealth Rock has become easier due to the buff to Defog. Lastly, the V-Create stat drops mean Victini can usually one use it once per switch in unless the opponent is extremely slow and also makes it very susceptible to revenge killing which is never fun with a Stealth Rock weakness. When it comes to destroying the survivability of a wall though, Victini does it just as well if not better than any other wall breaker.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, just to let you know that I've updated this thread with every set posted so far, since they are all viable in OU at the moment. Regarding reserving Pokemon, you're free to do it, but I'm only going to give you a week to post your set until it becomes available for other users to write it out, so please get on with it if you're going to reserve a Pokemon!

Once again, if you see any mistakes in the OP, or if any links are to the wrong sets, please let me know by dropping a message on my wall, thanks for your continuios posting in this thread guys.

n_n

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature

- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick / Hidden Power Ground

Chandelure is a really underrated revenge killer that most people ignore due to the presence of some other absurdly powerful Fire-types, which include Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Victini and Darmanitan. However, Chandelure has a few notable advantages:

a) - it serves as a nice offensive spinblocker which can beat most spinners 1-on-1 (Excadrill with a fire-type attack, Starmie with Shadow Ball and Kabutops with Energy Ball; the only spinner it loses to is Mega Blastoise);
b) - is immune to Fire-type attacks, which means Mega Charizard Y should be really careful against it (ironically, THIS is where Air Slash has its uses...), this also applies to defensive Heatran and Victini;
c) - can surprise Heatran with HP Ground for the 2HKO;
d) - has access to Trick, which is something its fellow Fire-types could only dream of.

Shadow Ball is Chandelure's main STAB move - it beats Gengar, Lati@s with a bit of prior damage, Mega Gardevoir and is Chandelure's best option against Talonflame and Mega Charizard X/Y. Energy Ball threatens Rotom-W, Mega Gyarados (which Chandelure usually outspeeds at +1 since many Mega Gyarados don't use max speed), Rhyperior and Alomomola. Chandelure has two jobs, one of them will always be a revenge killer. The other one depends on which Fire-type move you use.

If running Overheat:

Overheat straight up OHKOes Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Thundurus and Landorus, which are all S-rank (bar Mega Mawile). Even Mega Venusaur takes massive damage. Chandelure should be played as an early-game Pokemon if it has Overheat, since that move limits its potential for late-game cleaning. Trick is the recommended move in this situation. This set is particularly effective against stall, especially if it can Trick a Choice Scarf onto Chansey or Quagsire. Heatran and Gliscor don't enjoy it either.

If running Fire Blast:

If Chandelure uses Fire Blast instead, it should be played as a late-game cleaner. Fire Blast is reasonably powerful and destroys Aegislash and Mega Mawile once again, though it does need a bit of prior damage to beat Landorus. Hidden Power Ground is used in this case to catch Heatran on the switch and 2HKO it with Hidden Power Ground. This set works against offensive teams, especially those which don't use Talonflame or Bisharp.

One thing chandelure appreciates, but doesn't require, is sun. Chandelure becomes a brutal revenge killer and wallbreaker if paired with Mega Charizard Y.

Diggersby@Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Att/252 Speed/4 HP
Adamant Nature
- U-Turn
- Return
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake

I love to bring up this set whenever Diggersby is mentioned. Far from the best Scarfer, but it's one of the hardest hitting scarfers out there, at least. With a neutral speed nature, max speed EVs and a scarf, Diggersby can outpace Jolly Greninja with a 75% chance to OHKO with U-Turn. It's movepool is hit and miss, but it gets enough for some decent coverage, at least. 'Mons like Ferrothorn and Gliscor really have no trouble walling it, but it can still make a really effective scarfer on the right team.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off / Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Taunt / Defog

Mew is an excellent specially defensive Pokemon that fits on defensive and balanced teams that excels in a few different roles depending on its move choices. Although a pure Psychic type is typically mediocre, Mew's bulk and movepool allows it to take strong special attacks surprisingly well. For example, it takes a mere 49.6 - 58.6% from LO Latios Draco Meteor, an impressive feat considering it can simply Roost off that damage and severely nerf Latios's damage output with Knock Off. Anyways, a brief overview of the moves: If using Taunt over Defog, Mew functions well at breaking traditional stall teams thanks to its great bulk and speed. The moves are fairly straightforward, allowing it to cripple opposing members of stall by knocking off their items, burning them, and preventing their recovery. On the other hand, if you choose to use Defog, Mew functions as a great defensive Defogger that is less susceptible to being Pursuit trapped and can cripple Adamant Bisharp thanks to its ability to burn these threats. It also has a niche of being a defogger capable of beating Mega Medicham, which is a huge trouble to most defensive minded teams.

It is possible to forgo Knock Off and run both Taunt and Defog. However, it loses out on the important utility aspects granted by Knock Off, namely ridding the leftovers of defensive Pokemon, Chansey's Eviolite, and the boosting items of powerful offensive threats such as Landorus-I or Latios.

Shadow Ball should be replaced with Extrasensoy for Mega Venusaur.
I disagree:

252 SpA Raikou Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 136-162 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Assault Vest Raikou is a great pivot, but it's best when used to combat common Defoggers like Lati@s, Zapdos, Skarmory, as well as to threaten FlySpam. To this properly, it needs Shadow Ball. It has no business trying to take on MegaVenusaur, and would be better off just Volt Switching to something else.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Suicune is an excellent stallbreaker that also serves as a bulky Water-type and win-condition, all of which are great on their own, but when combined together, make for a fearsome Pokemon. CroCune fits nicely on both balance and stall teams looking for a win-condition with Suicune's qualities. Suicune can come in on and set up in the face of many common OU Pokemon, such as non-BD Azumarill, Pursuit Bisharp, non-Taunt Gliscor, Keldeo, Talonflame, Landorus-T and more, and after just one Calm Mind, many strong Special Attackers with powerful, and sometimes even super effective, STAB attacks fail to OHKO this thing. This, when combined with Suicune's defensive EVs and Scald burns, makes it a nigh-unbreakable Pokemon, letting it continue to set up with ease. The icing on the cake is how well Suicune utilizes RestTalk; with it, Suicune can avoid crippling status conditions and heal weak attacks from Pokemon like Bisharp while setting up even more or outright attacking in its sleep. RestTalk is also what makes Suicune a monstrous stallbreaker, as nothing on most stall teams have anything that can even scratch Suicune without status, while PP stalling it with Pokemon like Chansey is easier said than done since Suicune has access to Pressure to win a PP war. However, there is a good reason as to why Suicune isn't a top-tier threat. The offensive pressure in OU makes it really hard for Suicune to find an opportunity to set up, while many stall teams are running Taunt users like Sableye and Mew, both of which stop Suicune cold. Furthermore, it faces stiff competition from Calm Mind Manaphy, which has the same role as Suicune, but is arguably easier to use thanks to Hydration + Rest ignoring RestTalk's randomness (Suicune is still bulkier than Manaphy though, which comes in handy more often than not). However, despite this, the utility Suicune can provide for team is really precious, especially for bulky teams that lack a solid way to beat stall. Suicune also pressures the opponents as soon as it enters the field, as they must go to a Pokemon that can 2HKO it without letting it set up too much. All this combined makes Suicune a very unique Pokemon in the metagame, and certainly one with a cool niche.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Suicune is an excellent stallbreaker that also serves as a bulky Water-type and win-condition, all of which are great on their own, but when combined together, make for a fearsome Pokemon. CroCune fits nicely on both balance and stall teams looking for a win-condition with Suicune's qualities. Suicune can come in on and set up in the face of many common OU Pokemon, such as non-BD Azumarill, Pursuit Bisharp, non-Taunt Gliscor, Keldeo, Talonflame, Landorus-T and more, and after just one Calm Mind, many strong Special Attackers with powerful, and sometimes even super effective, STAB attacks fail to OHKO this thing. This, when combined with Suicune's defensive EVs and Scald burns, makes it a nigh-unbreakable Pokemon, letting it continue to set up with ease. The icing on the cake is how well Suicune utilizes RestTalk; with it, Suicune can avoid crippling status conditions and heal weak attacks from Pokemon like Bisharp while setting up even more or outright attacking in its sleep. RestTalk is also what makes Suicune a monstrous stallbreaker, as nothing on most stall teams have anything that can even scratch Suicune without status, while PP stalling it with Pokemon like Chansey is easier said than done since Suicune has access to Pressure to win a PP war. However, there is a good reason as to why Suicune isn't a top-tier threat. The offensive pressure in OU makes it really hard for Suicune to find an opportunity to set up, while many stall teams are running Taunt users like Sableye and Mew, both of which stop Suicune cold. Furthermore, it faces stiff competition from Calm Mind Manaphy, which has the same role as Suicune, but is arguably easier to use thanks to Hydration + Rest ignoring RestTalk's randomness (Suicune is still bulkier than Manaphy though, which comes in handy more often than not). However, despite this, the utility Suicune can provide for team is really precious, especially for bulky teams that lack a solid way to beat stall. Suicune also pressures the opponents as soon as it enters the field, as they must go to a Pokemon that can 2HKO it without letting it set up too much. All this combined makes Suicune a very unique Pokemon in the metagame, and certainly one with a cool niche.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lower-tier-threats.3510167/#post-5548475

Wobbuffet @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def
Calm Nature
-Counter
-Mirror Coat
-Encore
-Destiny Bond

This is the classic Wobbuffet set. Brutally efficient at its job, it's easy to switch in, trap mon, and kill just about anything you need it to. CounterCoat is pretty self explanatory--they'll deal massive amounts of damage thanks to Wob's immense HP stat. Encore is great for locking sweepers into setup moves so that they can be killed by another teammate (and it's great for forcing switches, too!). Destiny Bond is one of those "screw you!" moves that can instantly spot remove whatever you need.

Wob is a useful revenge killer, and overall puts pressure on the opponent not to leave something in for too long. You CAN opt to use Focus Sash to essentially be an "Oh fuck--that sweeper got out of hand" button, although you need to make sure hazards are off the field before doing that. Also, you can tailor his EVs to tank specific hits. This lets you use him kind of like a DragMag trapper--you can use him to cover a sweeper's counter.

Last edited:

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Final Gambit
- V-create
- Bolt strike
- U-turn

Draw out threats like Tyranitar, Rotom-Wash, and Azumarill to OHKO them with a Final Gambit that outspeeds anything that isn't scarfed. This allows your sweeper to come in and clean house. Talonflame is the best partner.

V-create and Bolt Strike allow you to hit Ghost types aside from Golurk.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash / White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk OR 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Naughty / Adamant
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump / Razor Shell / Ice Shard / Hidden Power Fire

Cloyster was awesome after he get sheel smash. But in this gen is totally forgotten, due to megasaur and unaware users, the popularity of slowbro or simply because there are better set upper like mega gyarados and zard x. Imho a pokemon able to get a +2 in atk and speed is always dangerous. With the focus sash u always have a pokemon that can at least set up a smash and kill something. With white herb u have a thing with 180 Def, hard to revenge kill with a priority move not called vacuum wave. Cloyster always been dangerous for his ability to break multiscale/sash and hit a pokemon behind a sub. U need to support him with a defogger, due to his rock weakness and specially the sash version.
Hydro Pump is good for hitting steels, razor shell is for a stab physical moves, ice shard for kill genius/ random dragons without be forced to set up, hp fire for scizor/ferrothorn and new threats like bisharp and mega mawile.

Random calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 480-570 (68.1 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 210-255 (62.8 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 88-104 (36.3 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 99-117 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Yep, pretty good for a thing in UU.

Absol @ Absolite
EVs: 100 Atk / 184 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp / Sucker Punch / Superpower

While it competes with Mega Garchomp, Mega Absol is a solid wallbreaker do to its nice offensive stats and higher speed, making it harder to revenge to a degree, its shitty defenses make it easy with a priority move. With its speed Mega Absol works well on faster offensive teams, working as a nice anti lead to hazard offensive teams with Magic Bounce. Absol does struggle to find a time to come in with its paper like defenses but most things have trouble getting in against it, tho that holds true for any wallbreaker. The biggest thing teambuilding wise that Absol has against it is it takes up the mega slot when it would be a great wallbreaker for a lot of other megas, but still works well with some non mega sweepers such as Dragonite, Standard Gyarados, and Landorus. For whatever reason, Absol has a large movepool, being able to use Fire Blast and Ice Beam allowing it to OHKO or do massive damage to common walls like Skarmory, Zapdos, and Gliscor while Knock Off serves as its main physical move and stab as well as just an unsure attack as it will do a lot of damage to anything that comes in aside from another dark. Superpower is nice there to get around physically defensive Tyranitar and Bisharp without the shacky accuracy of Fire Blast, while Sucker Punch can be used to get past other priority attacks when Absol is low. Will-O-Wisp is also nice as Absol baits in a lot of physical pokemon.

Blastoise @ Blastoisite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald/Water Pulse/Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Mega Blastoise is one of the best Rapid Spinners an offensive team could have. Having both Bulk and hitting incredibly hard with a combination of 135 Base Special Attack and Mega Launcher boosts giving it STAB on all Pulse and Aura moves, it doubles as a wallbreaker capable of forcing switches with ease. Its pure Water typing gives it good synergy with the likes of Dragonite and Volcarona, soaking up their common ice and water weaknesses respectively while also Rapid Spinning hazards away for them. It also carries a powerful Mega Launcher boosted Dark Pulse that punches holes through common Spin Blocking ghosts, getting through even the likes of Aegislash.

It does use a Mega Slot which may put some people off of using it over Excadrill who'd be the better option for setting up things like Mega Charizard or Mega Pinsir, but if your slot is open, Mega Blastoise is a solid pick that will not disappoint.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild/Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Explosion/Fire Blast/Ice Beam

The banning of the Deoxys formes left a hole, and while Azelf isn't as good, it can act like hazards Deoxys-S did. It has one job; get in, set Rocks, stop opponents from setting rocks, then hopefully kill something and die. It's a simple mon, but it does the job pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)