Lucario (Agility)

Thanks for your suggestions so far everyone. I also included some more information after reading MetaNite's post. I'm happy you brought that up. I could also use some more proofreads because of the additions.

Like Phil said, please stop mentioning ways I can make this a special or mixed Agility set. I am not interested in it and will ignore any further suggestions related to this.

Frizy

dont change my ct fuckers
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Key:
Additions or singular word/punctuation changes
Remove
Re-written sentences
(Comments)

[SET]
name: Agility
move 1: Agility
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Swords Dance Lucario is one of the most popular sets around, which caused more counters and checks to arise to prevent it from sweeping. This is where Agility Lucario comes in by taking advantage of the common Lucario answers, such as Gengar, Rotom-A, Gliscor, Salamence, and Choice Scarf Heatran, Magnezone, Tyranitar, and Jirachi, and defeating nearly (Everyone you mentioned is beaten, not nearly all of them.) every one of them after an Agility boost. Lucario is also fully capable of late-game sweeping once you discover your opponent's team. Close Combat provides Lucario with a powerful STAB move to fire off, while Crunch and Ice Punch are used for additional coverage to hit the Pokemon that aren't threatened by Close Combat.</p>

<p>An important point about this Lucario is that it can set up against a threatened opponent, such as Blissey or Latias trapped in Draco Meteor, and defeat Pokemon that Lucario otherwise struggles against. Even if he does happen to have the perfect opportunity to set up, counters such as Salamence and Gliscor (Bullet Punch is getting more popular, so I thought replacing Gengar with a more concrete counter would make sense.) can switch in on the Swords Dance and OHKO Lucario before it has a chance to attack. This means that Lucario needs to predict the opponent's switch-in correctly in order to sweep efficiently. With that said, Agility Lucario is easier to use than Swords Dance Lucario, as it requires less support and prediction to sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Agility Lucario is weaker than its Swords Dancing counterpart, entry hazard support is crucial to this set's success. Stealth Rock and Spikes make it easier for Lucario to grab KOs against the likes of Celebi, Suicune, and Jirachi. Swampert is one of the most reliable Stealth Rock users in the metagame, as its overall bulk and great typing guarantee a Stealth Rock set-up. Skarmory or Forretress are excellent users of Spikes, both even able to use Stealth Rock on the same set as well, thanks to their great physical durability (Possibly mention Forretress' ability to spin?). Both Swampert and Skarmory also have the ability to phaze, racking up even more residual damage to the opponent.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are necessary on a team with Lucario, as they prevent Rapid Spin users from removing your entry hazards (Was kinda confusing and misleading). Rotom-A is a great option, as it has the bulk and typing to repeatedly switch into most Rapid Spinners, as well as packing an immunity to Lucario's Fighting- and Ground-type weaknesses. As a bonus, Rotom-A attracts Choiced Pursuiters, such as Choice Band Scizor and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, giving Lucario a great opportunity to set up Agility and sweep.</p>

<p>On top of focusing primarily on entry hazards, utilizing extremely hard-hitting Pokemon to break down the defensive core of the opponent is strongly recommended. Choice Specs Latias and Choice Band Salamence are prime examples of these, as their ridiculously powerful Draco Meteor and Outrage, respectively, obliterates anyone that isn't defensive enough for the assault. Other powerful Pokemon to look into include Gyarados, Infernape, and Tyranitar. Additionally, should Lucario become KOed during its sweep, the previously mentioned sweepers are able to take advantage of the opposing weakened team to clean up the remains.</p>

Heh, that took me a while. Good analysis Fuzzy.

I have to say, I have been using this set alot, and it works very well. After an agility, common scarfers like Flygon, Magnezone,Heatran, and Rotom and unsuspectingly outsped and OHKOed, making this set surprising and deadly, as it lures and KOs very powerful threats that would tear luke apart otherwise. However, this is obviously not without issues. Scarf Rotom are toast to this set, but bulky Rotom only take 53.9% - 63.8%, and they can cripple unless you hit them on the switch. After a CC or two, even resisted priority like CB bullet punch can KO you. Besides that, this set is actually great and although my opinion (or facts rather) aren't too important, I would just like to say this can work pretty well in combat, beyond theory.

Frizy

dont change my ct fuckers
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
<p>An important point about this Lucario is that he can set up against a threatened opponent, such as Blissey or Latias trapped in Draco Meteor,
Now that Latias has been moved to Ubers, this needs to be changed. You can still keep the sentence, just change Latias to Tyranitar and Draco Meteor to Pursuit (or Crunch/Stone Edge I guess).

I removed all Latias mentions throughout the analysis. Thanks Frizy.

I think this is pretty much done as far as I know. An additional proofread won't hurt, though.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bold = My Comments
Blue = Add / Change
Red = Deletion

Lucario

[SET]
name: Agility
move 1: Agility
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Swords Dance Lucario has been one of the most popular sets around, which has caused more counters and checks to arise to prevent him from sweeping. This is where Agility Lucario comes in by taking advantage of the common Lucario answers, such as Gengar, Rotom-A, Gliscor, Salamence, and (particular reason for and?) Choice Scarf Heatran, Magnezone, Tyranitar, and Jirachi, and defeating every one of them after an Agility boost. Lucario is also fully capable of late-game sweeping once you discover your opponent's team. Close Combat provides Lucario with a powerful STAB move to fire off, while Crunch and Ice Punch are used for additional coverage to hit the Pokemon that aren't threatened by Close Combat.</p>

<p>An important point about this Lucario is that he can set up against a threatened opponent, such as Blissey or Tyranitar trapped in using Pursuit, and defeat the aforementioned Pokemon who Lucario otherwise struggles (consider changing struggle since he is not using Struggle)against. Even if he does happen to have the perfect opportunity to set up, counters such as Salamence and Gliscor can switch in on the Swords Dance and OHKO Lucario before he has a chance to attack. This means that Lucario needs to predict the opponent's switch-in correctly in order to sweep efficiently. With that said, Agility Lucario is easier to use than Swords Dance Lucario, as he requires less support and prediction to sweep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Agility Lucario is weaker than his Swords Dancing counterpart, entry hazard support is crucial to this set's success; Stealth Rock and Spikes make it easier for Lucario to grab KOs against the likes of Celebi, Suicune, and Jirachi. Swampert is one of the most reliable Stealth Rock users in the metagame, as his overall bulk and great typing guarantee a Stealth Rock set-up. Skarmory or Forretress, who also has Rapid Spin, are excellent users of Spikes, and both are even able to use Stealth Rock on the same set as well, thanks to their great physical durability. Both Swampert and Skarmory also have the ability to phaze, racking up even more residual damage to the opponent.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are necessary on a team with Lucario, as they prevent Rapid Spin users from removing your entry hazards. Rotom-A is a great option, as it has the bulk and typing to repeatedly switch into most Rapid Spinners, as well as packing an immunity to Lucario's Fighting- and Ground-type weaknesses. As a bonus, Rotom-A attracts Choiced Pursuiters, such as Choice Band Scizor and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, giving Lucario a great opportunity to set up Agility and sweep.</p>

<p>On top of focusing primarily on entry hazards, utilizing extremely hard-hitting Pokemon to break down the defensive core of the opponent is strongly recommended. Choice Specs Porygon-Z and Choice Band Salamence are prime examples of these, as their ridiculously powerful Tri Attack and Outrage, respectively, obliterates anyone that isn't defensive enough for the assault. Other powerful Pokemon to look into include Gyarados, Infernape, and Tyranitar. Additionally, should Lucario become KOed during his sweep, the previously mentioned sweepers are able to take advantage of the opposing weakened team to clean up the remains.</p>

Thanks.

OK, so most of my changes weren't grammatical, merely suggestions to make it sound (IMO) better. Feel free to take them or leave them at your discretion.

I think a mention of a bulkier spread can be used. You don't NEED max speed to run this set effectively. The only difference between Max speed and some other benchmarks are non Scarf Heatran (who you may or may not care about). Lucario could set up a little easier with some extra defenses. Other benchmarks are 264 Speed (Positive natured Scarf Gengar after Agility, Jolly Breloom before), 261 Speed (Adamant Gyarados who you don't really do much too anway), and 247 Speed (defensive Celebi, Zapdos, Jolly Tar before agility, Scarfed Jirachi and flygon after).

Thanks RaikouLover for your suggestions. I added in a new paragraph about alternative Speed benchmarks. I also added in some of your edits Dr. Reid, thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure this is ready to go.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changes in bold; removals in red:

<p>Swords Dance Lucario has become oneof the most popular sets around, which has (something in the present cannot cause something in the past) caused more many (more than what?) counters and checks to arise to prevent him from sweeping. This is where Agility Lucario comes in by taking advantage of the common Lucario answers, such as Gengar, Rotom-A, Gliscor, Salamence, and Choice Scarf Heatran, Magnezone, Tyranitar, and Jirachi, and defeating every one of them after an Agility boost. Lucario is also fully capable of late-game sweeping once you discover your opponent's team. Close Combat provides Lucario with a powerful STAB move to fire off, while Crunch and Ice Punch are used for additional coverage to hit the Pokemon that aren't threatened by Close Combat.</p>

<p>An important point about this Lucario is that he can set up against a threatened opponent, such as Blissey, ( to make it clear Bliss isn’t using pursuit) or Tyranitar trapped in using Pursuit, and defeat the aforementioned Pokemon whom (v. picky I know) Lucario otherwise struggles against. Even if he does happen to have the perfect opportunity to set up, counters such as Salamence and Gliscor can switch in on the Swords Dance and OHKO Lucario before he has a chance to attack. This means that Lucario needs to predict the opponent's switch-in correctly in order to sweep efficiently. With that said, Agility Lucario is easier to use than Swords Dance Lucario, as he requires less support and prediction to sweep.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs give Lucario the ability to outpace virtually everyone after an Agility, as well as giving him enough Speed to outpace Timid Heatran if you can't pull off an Agility. However, because Lucario doesn't need to run max Speed to be effective with Agility, there are alternative Speed EVs you can use. With 188 Speed EVs, Lucario outruns (singular has been used throughout the analysis) Jolly Breloom, Metagross, and Adamant Gyarados before an Agility. Furthermore, he also outspeeds Timid Choice Scarf Gengar after an Agility. If you want more bulk ( who wants less speed?), 126 Speed EVs can instead be used to outpace defensive Celebi and Zapdos, as well as Jolly Tyranitar, before an Agility. Also, after an Agility, those 126 Speed EVs allow you to outpace both Choice Scarf Jirachi and Flygon. The remainder of the EVs could be put into either of Lucario's defenses to give him an easier time setting up and sweeping.</p>

<p>Since Agility Lucario is weaker than his Swords Dancing counterpart, entry hazard support is crucial to this set's success; Stealth Rock and Spikes make it easier for Lucario to grab KOs against the likes of Celebi, Suicune, and Jirachi. Swampert is one of the most reliable Stealth Rock users in the metagame, as his overall bulk and great typing nearly guarantee a Stealth Rock set-up. Skarmory and Forretress, who also has Rapid Spin, are excellent users of Spikes, and both are even able to use Stealth Rock on the same set as well, thanks to their great physical durability. Both Swampert and Skarmory also have the ability to phaze, racking up even more residual damage to the opponent.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are necessary on a team with Lucario, as they prevent Rapid Spin users from removing your entry hazards. Rotom-A is a great option, as it has the bulk and typing to repeatedly switch into most Rapid Spinners, as well as packing an immunity to Lucario's Fighting- and Ground-type weaknesses. As a bonus, Rotom-A attracts Choiced Pursuiters, such as Choice Band Scizor and Choice Scarf Tyranitar, giving Lucario a great opportunity to set up Agility and sweep.</p>

<p>On top of focusing primarily on entry hazards, utilizing extremely hard-hitting Pokemon to break down the defensive core of the opponent is strongly recommended. Choice Specs Porygon-Z and Choice Band Salamence are prime examples of these, as their ridiculously powerful Tri Attack and Outrage, respectively, obliterate anyone that isn't defensive enough for the assault. Other powerful Pokemon to look into include Gyarados, Infernape, and Tyranitar. Additionally, should Lucario be KOed during his sweep, the previously mentioned sweepers are able to take advantage of the opposing weakened team to clean up the remains.</p>
Looks pretty good. The only thing I feel I should say is that given how many people suggested making a mixed set, you could consider explaining in the analysis why not to use a mixed set, given that it seems the obvious thing when Lucario's special attack stat is higher than its attack. (I'm not arguing with the set btw)

Dosen't Dusknoir counter this set? if it comes on a Agility/Close Combat and maybe ice punch, it then survives a crunch. (this in case you already know its a agility lucario) because dusknoir fears the swords dance one.
Maybe surviving one earthquake/Fire punch would help.
Dusknoir is affected by spikes and stealth rock, so those will help.
Moltres is kinda good too i guess, but dies with stealth rock.

Moltres doesn't belong in OU.

...Nor does Dusknoir. Also, people don't switch Dusknoir into Luke, it dies to a +2 crunch.

Also, why not use 220 EVs, to outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Starmie? I think it deserves a mention. Maybe?

Moltres doesn't belong in OU.

...Nor does Dusknoir. Also, people don't switch Dusknoir into Luke, it dies to a +2 crunch.
Did you even read what i said? hehe
As soon they find its a agility set, they can come in a non-crunch easly (dusknoir).
Moltres dosen't belong in OU? you mean its UU, because it can be used in OU, and if this set becomes popular is a nice counter for it.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You should probably add a paragraph about Agility Lucario's specific problems and how to deal with them. From my experience with this set in Ubers, Skarmory was able to stall Lucario with roost.

Ok, I added some more information to the analysis. I mentioned defensive Rotom-A and Skarmory as problems and Heatran to deal with them. I really don't want to keep adding content to this because it's getting pretty large.

I made a few wording fixes for you, but I wasn't really sure how to approach the second paragraph. It is really confusing, so can you please reword it? Also note that it's not always safe to set up versus a Blissey. If your opponent is in a tough situation where it's either lose Blissey or lose his whole team, he'll often risk Blissey to get a Thunderwave or a Flamethrower on you. Finally, can you add a quick ballpark sentence on how much damage Crunch would do versus a defensive Rotom-A? I think that would help the reader know when it's safe to stay in and Crunch, and when he should be switching out.

After those changes are made, let me know and I'll upload.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)