Lucario

Nowadays, I think it's better to run Bullet Punch and some Gliscor insurance, like offensive Rain partners or Gothitelle. Ice Punch is cool, but not cooler than owning Terrakion at +2.
Absolutely. I've found Gothitelle to be an excellent partner for Lucario. With the Choice Specs and the combination of Thunderbolt / Grass Knot / HP Ice, it's capable of trapping and killing off problematic Pokemon like Hippowdon, Gliscor, Landorus-T, Jellicent, and Slowbro and softening up for a BP Lucario sweep. I have actually been testing out a team lately (which I'll probably post a RMT for) utilizing that duo, and it's been a pretty fun and effective combination.

What would be some good partners to SD Lucario with the moveset Swords Dance/Close Combat/Extreme Speed/Bullet Punch?

Agility Thunderus-t or Scarf is a pretty good offensive partner. They both cover each other's weaknesses. Lucario can take out chansey/blissey, mamoswine, gastrodon, and weavile. While Thunderus takes out tentacruel, hippowdon, gyarados, and jellicent. Celebi can be an issue, but after enough boost from lucario, it goes down. Celebi isn't doing much to Thunderus-T other than hitting it with weak grass attacks or using perish song. Thunderus-t can Volt switch out of a counter say, chansey or blissey and then switch in Lucario giving it a free setup oppertunity. Or you can go all out offensive with agility and destroy opposing rain teams.

Try this set:

Thunderus-T@Life Orb / Expert Belt / Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid / Modest
Evs 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Focus Blast / Grass Knot
-Agility / Volt Switch

Personally, on the scarf set, I recommend you use U-turn instead of volts switch considering most of thunderus-t's checks are ground type and being able to switch out of them and gain momentum is better than being cockblocked by an electric immune pokemon. It also eases up prediction when going up against jolteon and opposing thunderus-t.

Hope this was helpful. :)

What would be some good partners to SD Lucario with the moveset Swords Dance/Close Combat/Extreme Speed/Bullet Punch?
Hey dude!

So I've composed of some pokemon viable in OU (according to the OU viability thread) and made a quick description on their partnership with Lucario.

NOTE: Building a Whole team around a 'mon is unadviced, however building a team around a core is a great idea. Lucario is a sweeper and can wall break as well.

Another Note: I avoided Tornadus-T as it is banned now, I believe?

P.S. I dont have the time to finish today, but each day ill keep updating it. Hopefully this helps so far.

S-Rank

Deoxys-Defense

The lead to any Hyper Offense teams. This baby acts as a suicide lead, dishing out stealth rocks and spikes as if this sucker was going to kill himself. You can run many variants of him, but the best ones are the ones that utilize T-Wave (slow down opposition, mental herb (faster taunters), skill swap (because screw magic bounce), and red card (to switch in on set-up sweepers)

Run: If used on Hyper offense, its presence will be felt through spikes and stealth rocks.

Politoed

Lucario less than spectacular weakness to fire can be countered by rain. This allows him to survive Hidden Power Fire from Choice Spec Latios:

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Lucario in rain: 152-180 (53.9 - 63.82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This allows you to get a crunch off and K.O it with extreme speed.

It should be noted, there are quite a few variants of politoed. You just need to build one suiting your play style. A Choice Spec Hydro Pump hits like a train and very few pokemon can switch into it.

Run: If you enjoy Rain teams, and have a weakness to fire on your team. Its still the best weather, and can the 'mon can check Lucarios weaknesses.

Terrakion

Take a moment to admire how badass this pokemon looks. Alright. Moving on. Terrakion and Lucario have been compared quite a bit, but the truth is they are two different pokemon. Wallbreaking is what Terrakion does best. If you plan on using his on hyper offense, you can Focus Sash this fiend and put stealth rocks on it. Now this may seem like a job for Deo-D (and I do believe this is done better by him) but the lack of offense from Deo is noticeable and Terrak hits like a train. For example, after a stealth rock lead, he is capable of hitting Politoed, OHKO tyraniter, ninetales, abomasnow, even cripping ghost pokes. This allows Lucario to come in and finish of the job.

Run: You can run a few variants of him, if your in need of a wall breaker, Terrak does it best. Careful about getting Wall'd by Gliscor and Jellicents.

A-Rank

Breloom

Great technician. However, Breloom is a sweeper. What makes this pokemon special is you dont have to run Technician ability. With toxic heal, you can switch Breloom on status inducers and go buck wild on their annoyers. Not to mention it has a Substitute variant available too. To add to its offense, it learns STAB technician mach punch, which is a great priotiy move to add to Lucario's ES. However, the pokemon has its flaws. Latios' and Latias' are running wild, both these pokemon are a great check to Breloom.

Run: on rain teams or hyper offense, but your team MUST have a counter Latios or Latias, otherwise after ripping apart Breloom, they can hurt Lucario pretty badly.

Dragonite

Meet the strongest ES user in OU. One could argue that Dnite is on the borderline between OU and Ubers. There are many variants of him as it can be rank as a tank, as offense, or even sub-roost. Dnite's offense just adds to Lucario and is well utilized on an offense team. Instead of turning him into a Physical Attacker, try special on rain with politoed, as he can main Thunder and Hurricane (STAB too!). However, the flaws are that its hurt BAD by multiscale, and gets crushed by Weavile's and Mamoswine's Ice Shards. It helps Lucario as it resists both fighting and fire, allowing Dnite to successfully switch in and show of his outrageous offense.

Run: if you decide to utilise a core with Lucario and Dnite. They resist each other weaknesses, and allows them to set-up.

Ferrothorn

No matter who faces this guy it deals damage. A great counter to dragons, and one of the few pokemon that can laugh at an Outrage from Kyruem-Black. A core of Ferrothorn, Politoed, and Lucario would mitigate away the fire weaknesses, and ensure further longetivity. Deo-D could be added, and with protect on ferrothorn, it allows you to scout the other team before sending in your Jackal sweep/set-up. The problem with this core would be that a choice band terrakion would easily tear it apart with close combats, and if your lucario doesnt pack a bullet punch, then you may have to kiss the game good-bye.

Run: on rain teams, but try applying Twave if your team lacks it as you dont want pokemon setting up on ferrothorn.​

Terrakion and Lucario sound interesting. Specifically SubSD Terrakion I think would form an extremely potent core with SD Lucario packing Crunch. One could smash through walls and leave a mess for the other to clean up. This is all theorymon of course. The addition of Scizor provides a check to Lati@s, Gengar and opposing Terrakion that could check the pair. This sounds extremely interesting indeed.

Apologies for the double post :(

Just an idea I had. I haven't tested it this is pure theorymon. Would a Choice Band set be viable for Lucario? It might make a good lure, hitting pokemon that expect weak attacks or set up extremely hard on the switch in, while also being able to revenge kill with ExtremeSpeed or even sweep with it late-game. Things like Slowbro, Jellicent and Hippowdon would get 2HKOed before they can retaliate or restore their HP, giving it an advantage over the standard Swords Dance set, while its 4x resistance to Stealth Rock make it easier to switch in and out (which it will have to do a lot of when using Choice Band).

Generally you should be looking for a Psychic or Ghost type because they attract Dark type attacks which Lucario can come in on and gain an attack boost from (due to Justified). If you're running Bullet Punch over Ice Punch or Crunch, you should have teammates who can take on Jellicent, Gliscor and Landorus-T. Starmie can 2HKO most Jellicent and can OHKO Gliscor and Landorus-T so it makes an ideal partner. Latios, Gothitelle and Gengar are also good partners for attracting Dark-type attacks and dealing with various Lucario checks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)