Mafia From the Depths - GAME OVER, INSANE WIN

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
To be fair to MC, this IS his first NOC game, and LightWolf played quite well. He did his best, so let's not be so hard on him.

Also I was shit this game X_X

gg to the mafia except aska who sux for getting me lynched

Spiffy, I honestly played this game, with a complete village mind, I considered MC clean, because he was what Eagle failed to be. Eagle was going with the flow like a paperbag in the wind, being blow into everyone's face. On the other hand MC was a river, quietly flowing, and not in a bad way. He never acted suspicious in my opinion.
Thanks, LightWolf.

About being suspicious, did anyone feel I was? I believe I've been voted by zorbees on Day 1 (though I believe that was one of his pressure posts), and later by Metal Sonic on Day 4 or so (a bit of an OMGUS post). Did people genuinely think I was town, or were there just more prominent people to lynch?

Also, what does me being left alive by mafia until the last day say about my reputation as a mafia player :(

I'd be happy to play in the next Smogon NOC game, I liked it better than any standard mafia game so far, as this got me more involved. Next time I'm in it to win it again!

Mafia From the Depths - Postgame

Relinking the quicktopics used:

Scumchat
Graveyard

Not really a "postgame", but it IS post-game right now. I'm just going to try and address things that come up at the back of my head. You guys know this game better than I do so feel free to correct me whenever!

First of all, this game's town was a decent step forward from last game. It reminded me of the town of Company Mafia, where there really weren't many scummy townies around. One thing there is to point out is how the town was constantly in charge, the active townies being the ones to decide the lynches. Granted, I don't think there's been a recent game that had the scumteam take control and start mislynches, but still. It felt like aska and LW were out of the line of fire most of the time not because of their play but because the active townies just handwaved them as town, which is a lesson to be learned for next game. aska pretty much wasn't around for the majority of the game and I had LW complain about every time he had to skim through the thread and post~

A note about decision-making in LYLO -- one of the things that prompted me (and many others) to complain about Day 7 is that there wasn't any noticeable progress to be had. When it's time for one player to decide the outcome, that player and the parties involved have the fun task of going through the thread and presenting evidence that will help your faction's chances of winning. Plenty of ways to do this -- wagon analysis, bringing up (directly quoting) buddy connections, the works. None of the LYLO players did this effectively -- even if the effort was there, that's only one half of the equation. I'm not trying to make any of you feel bad, but I am bringing up the facts -- LYLO is where you want to review everything, re-review everything, make sure you aren't fooling yourself, get the full story, add up all the likelihoods. This LYLO was kind of static and an example of what not to do, as both factions. Another lesson to be learned.

Let's talk about the setup. A popular setup for vanilla games is 11:2. I figured 12:3 would be balanced if I effectively added another vote that town can use (the sentry vote). Considering the scumteam had one shot that can bypass the sentry, they had to choose between wasting it early (which is what they did) or saving it to the very end of the game for a more favorable LYLO. Choosing the first option meant town had the option of carrying someone all the way to endgame after the one-shot was used. This is what made me spice things up during Day 6 -- I felt like it was unreasonable to except an inexperienced scumteam to think things through (and not kill dale immediately!) and the result was that the sentry got way too powerful, allowing someone who was read as town for the majority of the game (LW) to be in an imbalanced LYLO. I felt the least I could do was up the requirement, even though it wasn't likely to change anything. I was wrong about that, somehow, so I owe everyone an apology. My other reason for doing this was because I DID want to spice things up, so, uh, it seemed alright to me at the time! I'm usually strict with my own rules so there you go.

Deadtalking, right. Don't do that. I've heard of cases in which posts had to be deleted when I wasn't even around for it. If this is what Freedom of Posting Gifs brings about, I suggest that hosts don't allow ANY deadtalking from now on. Unless you're fine with random actual deadtalking issues, I guess.

Now that we're done with the grim stuff, I'd like to give a round of applause to the first-timers. None of them seemed to have a problem giving out minimal contribution, none of them were a noticeable burden and some of them even took a very active and helpful role. It's true that the overall level of play in this game wasn't stellar, but, say, you didn't see more experienced players continuously complain and bitch about weaker links, which is a good sign. Good job, newbies.

I'd like to give another round of applause to the players in general, for being pretty active for a while. I had to wait till the halfway mark of the game to be able to prod someone -- for a while I didn't think I'd need subs! I also want to give a special mention to LW for consistently putting effort into winning the game, even when he clearly wasn't into it. Well walled.

Finally, I'd like to give a round of applause to the Shiny Players who in conjunction produced this lovely thing. I assume Shining Latios isn't taking this to heart. (If you are -- don't! You've done a great thing. On a more serious note, the occasional fuckup is fine, and it looks like players are taking it pretty well anyway, so it's all good!)

Seeing as I wouldn't feel whole without doing some sort of awards ceremony, I'll give the #1 Scumhunter Award to Metal Sonic and call it a day.

Until next game! Which, uh, is meant to happen today anyway. So much for that.

Rainbow Text

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i only skimmed through this game, but it seemed like the final lynch went lightwolf's way from MC just because LW is more experienced. bigger name, bigger influence.

Looking back I really should have known something was up when Metal Sonic died instead of LightWolf. I guess I was so certain Empoof was mafia I didn't even realize that no one would kill MS instead of LightWolf x_x

Good job LightWolf for remaining village-like for such a long time!

i only skimmed through this game, but it seemed like the final lynch went lightwolf's way from MC just because LW is more experienced. bigger name, bigger influence.
Nah, I can assure you that was not it. I'm not too experienced with mafia games here (I've only ever been in two mafia games, and this was the only one I really actively participated in), so I don't really know who the biggest names around here. I believed I never played with either SL or LW before, so in that aspect, they were equal to me.

I don't know if LW planned it that way all throughout the game, put his final set-up was quite ideal; he knew that I had agreed with his points multiple times before (oftentimes crediting him for his posts, etc), he knew that I knew SL was his target on days 1 and 2, and he knew that SL used to be my main target too. In retrospect, I should have known that this set-up was too ideal for LW, but too be honest, I never really though of it. All of it resulted in me being easily manipulated by LW because of the way the final three players were connected during the game (I trusted LW, he didn't trust LW, and well, then there was me).

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Thanks, LightWolf.

About being suspicious, did anyone feel I was? I believe I've been voted by zorbees on Day 1 (though I believe that was one of his pressure posts), and later by Metal Sonic on Day 4 or so (a bit of an OMGUS post). Did people genuinely think I was town, or were there just more prominent people to lynch?

Also, what does me being left alive by mafia until the last day say about my reputation as a mafia player :(

I'd be happy to play in the next Smogon NOC game, I liked it better than any standard mafia game so far, as this got me more involved. Next time I'm in it to win it again!
From about D4 to the beginning of D7 I thought you were the last mafia because no one else made much sense to me (except at points I was like "maybe spiffy"), although your day 1 was really obvtown which probably should have clued me in. You never really received much pressure for anyone to get a good read on you imo.

Just read through both the scum chat and graveyard chats; sorry to everyone I let down :( In retrospect it's all so obvious, but when I was caught in the game I just couldn't let the idea of SL being mafia go. Actually, him forgetting to sentry would be more town-like, as a mafia wouldn't want attention like that on the final day, but well, in hindsight it's all easy talking.

Just want to clarify that I didn't make that GIF and neither did SL, I found that GIF randomly while searching for "latios .gif" on Google Images. It was the best coincidence of my life.

I wish I could make that my avatar but you can't make a .gif your avatar if you're not a mod.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looking back I really should have known something was up when Metal Sonic died instead of LightWolf. I guess I was so certain Empoof was mafia I didn't even realize that no one would kill MS instead of LightWolf x_x

Good job LightWolf for remaining village-like for such a long time!
^

It was very lucky on his part that SL did not sentry you. If at lylo and apparently Mc/SL happened to die instead of you... something would definitely be wrong

I also thought of me dying instead of lightwolf(That night, I was sure either me or him was gonna die), but I let it slip. SL why u no sentry

EDIT: It was never MC's fault. IT was SL's fault >:(

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
Yeah I am sorry about the #1 scumhunter thing. I'd like to publicly apologise because it was genuinely annoying but understand that I have reasons for it.

Firstly, because this is a Vanilla Town vs Maf setup, There are no PRs and therefore only way to rid the scum is through... you guessed it! Scumhunting. I had to get this annoying ruse up ASAP in order to establish myself as a strong town read yet not a viable target for the mafia(well I survived till night 5, didn't I); in the process taking out 2 of the mafia(yeah I still hold credit to that, ruse or no ruse) before dying.

You see, if I presented myself at my best(At my best, I would never do that. My style), I would have been shot dead N1 similar to Dale or be targeted like in a similar fashion. So despite the addition of a sentry, I don't do that until in other games I am a PR and am certain that I would not be in imminent danger of mafia nightkill(what use am I if I died early?)

Yeah so thats my rationale for acting annoying with that #1 scumhunter.

Honestly SL if you had just sentried spiffy... WE WOULDA WON I ASSURE YOU

If in a 3 way, and 2 experienced NOC player has not died(me, spiffy, zorbess and dale were already finished), one is definitely the scum. I mean, who the fuck would kill you/Mc over me/lightwolf? Conversely, if Spiffy died, there would be no good scumhunter left in the 3 way, and it would be really easy to trick the village and easy win. Just imagine. SL, Me and LW in a 3 way. You and Lw will cross; I would be a threat to the mafia if I were to choose correctly. So it were in best interests of the mafia to leave the hammer in the hands of a newbie.

Unfortunately, I imply that Shining Latios is to blame for the village loss; MC was never at fault. Well, I hope we can all learn from this game, ALWAYS pay attention to the special events of the game, and my apologies for the annoying yet somewhat necessary trick I pulled. Lightwolf really did very well(his posts were so many tl;drs that I saw him clean, can't argue with that).

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
No it was not obvious compared to if you did sentry spiffy
25% obviousity ----- 100% obviousity

He took picture of phoenix wright to display, all you had was "your a moron fuck you"

And couple that with you not sentrying spiffy(even if he died) made you pretty scummy

if I were Mc i would also have sort of a good mind to vote you, because Lw put in so much effort into his posts

EDIT: I am being very serious in the post-game. I am not trolling.

Yes it was. Go back and look at the thread please. Also you are a great example of an idiot who was seduced by the Phoenix Wright garbage. Putting gifs does not make a post smarter, more professional, or more "town-like" by any means. Oh yeah and neither does putting effort into posts mean he is not scum. Have a good day.

Here's how I see it: SL, you should take th majority of the blame. Sure, it was a little obvious that LW was the remaining mafia, but it's much easier to think clearer when you're out of the game. MC was just caught up in the game, not to mention the tons of pressure he had on him what with you, LW and the bloody deadchat posts telling him to hurry up. You should've sentried Spiffy. If you had, there was a 99% chance village would win. You not sentrying Spiffy meant that there was a good chance the Mafia would win (less so after LW's first last day post).

And honestly, saying #1 scumhunter repeatedly was a good strategy by Metal Sonic. It meant that people thought he was village, as he wouldn't be so stupid to post it if he was mafia. Also, it meant that the mafia didn't lynch him because he wasn't playing very well, and was a "deadweight" even though he wasn't.

Eagle4 is correct. You don't grow as a player or a person without taking responsibility for your own mistakes and evaluating how you can do better in the future. SL should stop ranting and raving about Phoenix Wright .gifs and blaming everyone else, because he fucked up pretty badly too and has his own part in the loss to take credit for. Focus on learning from what went wrong, instead of calling everyone else an idiot. B_T pointed out that there's plenty more everyone could've done better in D7, and he's absolutely right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)