1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Magazine Name Poll 1

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by darkie, Mar 6, 2009.

?

if you vote,

Poll closed Mar 7, 2009.
  1. Dialga Times

14.4%
  2. The Smogon Gazette

20.3%
  3. Gengar Aficionado

1.3%
  4. Smogon Curricula

5.2%
  5. The Smogon University Journal

7.2%
  6. The Smog

42.5%
  7. Smogazine

9.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I'm not a fan of The Smog. It doesn't sound like a publication, IMO. Even though I suggested another name in the poll, I voted for

Smogon Gazette

It's clearly the title of a periodical publication, and it has a nice retro-cool ring to it.
  2. Goodbar

Goodbar

I agree with you Doug, though I did vote for The Smog, because I guess that's what I like about it. I like most of the names though except Dialga Times and Gengar Aficionado, too corny and I'd rather the name represent Smogon or competitive battling
  3. husk

husk
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I like the whole smogon university thing...but smogon university journal sounds lame.

Voted for Smogon Gazette.

Though I'd prefer if Smogon University or even Smog U was included in the title.
  4. Wakalord

Wakalord

Wow I'm suprised The Smog is winning by this much, I personally dislike it. Voted for the Smogazine.
  5. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I voted the Smogon Curricula, but it doesn't look like anything other than the Smog has a chance.

Oh well. At least the vote isn't going toward a title that focuses on one specific Pokemon. The Dialga Times sounds like it would be all about Dialga :S
  6. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

I just think The Dialga Times is the punniest name up there.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The Dialga times, while supposedly clever (i'm nub and don't actually know what it means)[unless it's a joke on the use of times in which case it's retarded], it seems like a childish portrayal of us being ZOMG POKEMON.

while that's kind of the focus we want, i think we want a level of professionalism in keeping with our image, but then i realized something

i'm writing for this, as well as doomsday and cookie

so i chose the smog so it's childish AND professional. Done!
  8. Olie

Olie

I think it's because Dialga is the supposed controller of time. Wow I can't believe I just now got the referance lol.
  9. animenagai

animenagai
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Jumped on the smog band waggon. It's good to have a bit of professional image.
  10. union

union

The Dialga Times seems cool and yeah, it has the pun.

BTW I'm not retarded
  11. Iamslow

Iamslow

I think The Smog works well considering it's the product of Smogon (Koffing) so I voted for it.

This is going to be great! :D
  12. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The Smog is annoying and I don't like it.

Voted The Smogon Gazette.
  13. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I like The Smog
  14. Wes

Wes

I voted for the smog, because I think it does sound a bit professional and is short enough. Short is important. I do like the Dialga Times joke, but as StrangerDanger said, it's to much of ZOMG DIALGA PWNS EVERYONE!!!
  15. Kaito

Kaito

I am voting for The Dialga Times. Sounds fun ;)
  16. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

i hate "the smog." sounds like a person from an episode of seinfeld.

i liked it too :(

and if you dont get the it, its a reference from the magazine, "Cigar Aficionado." get it? gengar and cigar sound similar! i didnt suggest it, but the magazine also has a subtitle that says "The Good Life Magazine for Men" and i thought we could have played around with it like something "The Good Battlers Magazine for Trainers." but thats all behind us now...
  17. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I believe the magazine name should have a reference to Smogon. So I voted for The Smogon Gazette.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday

The Smog; simple and effective.
  19. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I voted The Smog, just for the record.
  20. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I don't understand all the support for the Smog. There are obvious negative undertones beyond a Pokemon association. It also suggests ambiguity and I am definitely not sold on the "spreads like smog" idea... is there anything good that spreads like smog?

Thumbs up for Smogazine from me; snappy, catchy and it doesn't take itself too seriously.
  21. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, I am sold by the 'spread like smog' idea to be honest. But I'd be more in favour of just calling it 'Smogon Magazine' to be honest. I just voted for my favourite from those options.
  22. SMZ

SMZ

I don't mind 'The Smog', but Dialga Times is catchy and nice.
  23. sporeing

sporeing

Looks like The Smog Fever is getting into everyone.. hahahaha..
    47%? Looks like we have a winner :D

I voted for Dialga Times BTW..
  24. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?

i really think youre reading too far into it lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)