1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Magazine Name Poll 1

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by A$AP DARKY, Mar 6, 2009.

?

if you vote,

Poll closed Mar 7, 2009.
  1. Dialga Times

14.4%
  2. The Smogon Gazette

20.3%
  3. Gengar Aficionado

1.3%
  4. Smogon Curricula

5.2%
  5. The Smogon University Journal

7.2%
  6. The Smog

42.5%
  7. Smogazine

9.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I'm not a fan of The Smog. It doesn't sound like a publication, IMO. Even though I suggested another name in the poll, I voted for

Smogon Gazette

It's clearly the title of a periodical publication, and it has a nice retro-cool ring to it.
  2. Goodbar

Goodbar

I agree with you Doug, though I did vote for The Smog, because I guess that's what I like about it. I like most of the names though except Dialga Times and Gengar Aficionado, too corny and I'd rather the name represent Smogon or competitive battling
  3. husk

husk
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I like the whole smogon university thing...but smogon university journal sounds lame.

Voted for Smogon Gazette.

Though I'd prefer if Smogon University or even Smog U was included in the title.
  4. Wakalord

Wakalord

Wow I'm suprised The Smog is winning by this much, I personally dislike it. Voted for the Smogazine.
  5. Umbreon Dan

Umbreon Dan 〉λ=
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I voted the Smogon Curricula, but it doesn't look like anything other than the Smog has a chance.

Oh well. At least the vote isn't going toward a title that focuses on one specific Pokemon. The Dialga Times sounds like it would be all about Dialga :S
  6. A$AP DARKY

A$AP DARKY mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I just think The Dialga Times is the punniest name up there.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The Dialga times, while supposedly clever (i'm nub and don't actually know what it means)[unless it's a joke on the use of times in which case it's retarded], it seems like a childish portrayal of us being ZOMG POKEMON.

while that's kind of the focus we want, i think we want a level of professionalism in keeping with our image, but then i realized something

i'm writing for this, as well as doomsday and cookie

so i chose the smog so it's childish AND professional. Done!
  8. Olie

Olie

I think it's because Dialga is the supposed controller of time. Wow I can't believe I just now got the referance lol.
  9. animenagai

animenagai
    is a Past WCoP Winner

Jumped on the smog band waggon. It's good to have a bit of professional image.
  10. union

union

The Dialga Times seems cool and yeah, it has the pun.

BTW I'm not retarded
  11. Iamslow

Iamslow

I think The Smog works well considering it's the product of Smogon (Koffing) so I voted for it.

This is going to be great! :D
  12. cim

cim happiness is such hard work
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The Smog is annoying and I don't like it.

Voted The Smogon Gazette.
  13. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I like The Smog
  14. Wes

Wes

I voted for the smog, because I think it does sound a bit professional and is short enough. Short is important. I do like the Dialga Times joke, but as StrangerDanger said, it's to much of ZOMG DIALGA PWNS EVERYONE!!!
  15. Kaito

Kaito

I am voting for The Dialga Times. Sounds fun ;)
  16. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

i hate "the smog." sounds like a person from an episode of seinfeld.

i liked it too :(

and if you dont get the it, its a reference from the magazine, "Cigar Aficionado." get it? gengar and cigar sound similar! i didnt suggest it, but the magazine also has a subtitle that says "The Good Life Magazine for Men" and i thought we could have played around with it like something "The Good Battlers Magazine for Trainers." but thats all behind us now...
  17. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I believe the magazine name should have a reference to Smogon. So I voted for The Smogon Gazette.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday

The Smog; simple and effective.
  19. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I voted The Smog, just for the record.
  20. McGrrr

McGrrr Facetious
    is a Contributor Alumnus

I don't understand all the support for the Smog. There are obvious negative undertones beyond a Pokemon association. It also suggests ambiguity and I am definitely not sold on the "spreads like smog" idea... is there anything good that spreads like smog?

Thumbs up for Smogazine from me; snappy, catchy and it doesn't take itself too seriously.
  21. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Well, I am sold by the 'spread like smog' idea to be honest. But I'd be more in favour of just calling it 'Smogon Magazine' to be honest. I just voted for my favourite from those options.
  22. SMZ

SMZ

I don't mind 'The Smog', but Dialga Times is catchy and nice.
  23. sporeing

sporeing

Looks like The Smog Fever is getting into everyone.. hahahaha..
    47%? Looks like we have a winner :D

I voted for Dialga Times BTW..
  24. monkfish

monkfish what are birds?

i really think youre reading too far into it lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)