Magazine Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're hoping this magazine becomes a permanent fixture in the Smogon Community, we'll need a catchy name to keep things interesting. All members are welcome to submit names.

This information might be useful: we're planning this to be a monthly or bimonthly (every other month) magazine. Stuff like "Smogon Weekly" is absurd, because we'd never be able to finish everything in time. Quality > Quantity.

Let's keep submissions at a max of one name per person!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Die Smogon Zeitung (Alternatly Die Zeitung)
Zeitung is newspaper in German, which is fitting since Smogon is German for Koffing. I think it flows well too.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PokerUS Weekly

im actually surprised i came up with that so fast cause its pretty good imo!!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Excellence

It describes what Smogon strives to achieve in a single word. A prefix is optional like "Smogon Excellence."

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
MoP suggested The Smogon Bar in #biuret and I think that would actually be a really great name for the magazine.

Plus we can make "two pokemon walk into a bar" jokes.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Smogon Gazette was what I planned on suggesting, or Smogon Quarterly.

This information might be useful: we're planning this to be a monthly or bimonthly (every other month) magazine. Stuff like "Smogon Weekly" is absurd, because we'd never be able to finish everything in time. Quality > Quantity.

The Smogon Journal? or alternatively, just "the Journal"

My city's newspaper is the Edmonton Journal, and I think it sounds quite professional, which seems to be the main purpose after all

The "Smogonite", or depending on the frequency "Smogonite Monthly"

Logo can include Dragonite to fit the name.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Maybe something like the Smogon U. Folio.

Something that captures "Smogon University" rather than just "Smogon" might be nice if we're going down that road.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm putting down Goethe for my submission.

If you are the educated sort of person, you should know who Goethe was; Scientist, Court Official, Playwright. These things have some, albeit loose, connection to the values of Smogon University; the scientist, trying new ideas, experimenting and tinkering, creating new ways to play pokemon. The court official, a position of power, making one's views heard, contributing to the everyday lives of ordinary citizens. Finally, the playwright, the ability and loquacency to make those views hold water, to be heard and from this, respected. Also, Goethe was possibly the greatest German writer who ever existed; in this way he is tied to the word 'Smogon' itself. I got this idea from my school, where the most prominent scientists have a magazine of their own, called 'Hooke'... who you should also have heard of.

So, Goethe. Thoughts?

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Maybe something short and sweet like The Smogon Messenger.

Don't need to be putting a terrible amount of effort into a name, aye?

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Smogon University Journal. It gives it the feel of an academic journal, which is exactly what he what to project as "the authority on competetive Pokemon".

The Smogon Spread
I like floppy's alot though. I also wanted to submit "the paper trail" but 1 sub/dude!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)