Magnezone (Analysis)

[Other Options]

<p>Despite not having the best of movepools, Magnezone still has a respectable amount of other choices, both offense and support orientated. Discharge is an option if you'd prefer the higher paralysis rate over the extra power Thunderbolt provides. There are several Hidden Power types to choose from, although almost all are very situational or beat a specific threat or two. Hidden Power Grass takes out Swampert, although it is worth noting that Swampert isn't a common sight in the current metagame. Hidden Power Ground can be used to demolish opposing Magnezone and Heatran, though entry hazard support might be necessary to secure an OHKO on bulky Heatran variants.</p>

<p>With the release of Drizzle Politoed, Magnezone can be utilized on rain based teams, allowing it to forgo Thunder as its primary STAB move. Magnet Rise is worth implementing on the Trapped in the zone set as it gives temporary immunity to Ground-type moves which simply demolish Magnezone. Thunder Wave and Toxic have very limited use and should not be integrated into the Dual Screen set as it will waste a valuable moveslot. As Steel-types will almost always avoid switching into Magnezone, it is almost guaranteed that it can Toxic a member of the opposing team.</p>
I think you mean use rather than forgo.

The Special Defense EVs allow Magnezone to never be OHKOed by a Timid Heatran's Fire Blast or Timid Gengar's Focus Blast, without the need for Light Screen to be set up.
I was a bit suprised to find that Timid max spA Heatran might not OHKO, doing 95-113%, but thats far from guranteed. You can avoid a 2HKO (assuming lefties) if you set up a Light Screen as it switches in though.

evs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 162 SpD
I would also change the spD to 160 for consistency because we exclude the last 2 useless EVs in other analysis.

If you prefer a bulkier set, an EV spread of 152 HP / 180 SpA / 176 Spe can be used to outpace Taunt Skarmory. It also means that Ferrothorn's Power Whip with Attack investment will never be able to break Magnezone's Substitute.
I always used this set, but never bothered to play with the calculations. It appears that normal spreads fall short of 25% by a few HP points with the simple 36 HP. Any boosted ferrothorn sets, which choice band is the only one, do max 28% to Magnezone with 152 HP, without a choice band. So can anyone explain was exactly 152 HP does in this metagame?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)