Icy Wind
Knock Off
Snore
Earth Power
Endeavor
Superpower
Block
Headbutt[/SIZE]
Let's take a look at some of Mamoswine's pros.

• Ability to check Dragons
Thanks to its STAB Ice Shard, Icicle Spear and Icicle Crash, Mamoswine can effectively revenge-kill several Dragons in BW OU, such as Salamence, Haxorus and Dragonite. Icicle Crash is even a OHKO on Dragonite, even when taking Multiscale into account (this is true for Dragonites running the standard 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe). Ice Shard can take out Dragons wielding a couple of Dragon Dances under their belts.

• Strong Attack Stat
Mamoswine's 130 Base Attack Stat is impressive, and it has the moves to effectively make good use of it: Superpower, STAB Earthquake, Icicle Crash, Ice Shard, Stone Edge. Mamoswine has a higher attack stat than the powerful Terrakion. Mamoswine can act as a hard-hitter, and can

• Access to Stealth Rock
While Mamoswine can often act as a physical sweeper, it can also help teams through Stealth Rock support. It can use Stealth Rock while maintaining powerful moves. Since it usually forces switches, it can easily set-up Stealth Rock by coming in on an opponent who cannot rivalize with the mammoth.

Here are some of Mamoswine's flaws.

• Bad Defensive Typing
While Ice is a great offensive typing that grabs good coverage, it is unfortunately awful defensively. Mamoswine can be revenge-killed by common Pokemon, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch, Conkeldurr's Mach Punch and Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. The multitude of fast and powerful Fighting-types in BW OU doesn't help its cause either. Pokemon like Terrakion and Infernape can use Close Combat to annihilate Mamoswine.

• Under-achieving Speed stat
Unfortunately for Mamoswine, its 80 base Speed Stat isn't good enough to outspeed a big portion of OU. It will be outsped by numerous Pokemon who can take it out, such as Terrakion and Infernape. It is often revenge-killed due to its "not good enough" speed. However, max speed Jolly Mamoswine does let it outspeed the likes of Adamant Toxicroak and Lucario and then KO them with Earthquake, who would otherwise threaten a KO with their Fighting-type moves.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I think Mamoswine won't change much in the new metagame. The best thing about the move tutors is that it can now run Thick Fat and not lose out on Super Power or Ice Shard. Its got a few more things it can revenge now, such as the new Sacred Beast or w/e formes, and it can revenge the more powerful Moxie Outrage DD Mence but I still think its just going to be a typical anti metagame force, rather like it was in the last metagame.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
^Nice!

So I assume this will be the standard set?

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge /Superpower
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear

^Nice!

So I assume this will be the standard set?

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Stealth Rock / Stone Edge /Superpower
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
Icicle Crash should be slashed with icicle spear, and superpower > stone edge i think

Sayonara

don't forget
Yeah, Superpower is a more useful move, as it lets Mamoswine get past Ferrothorn, a Pokemon who Mamoswine would have trouble with otherwise. Also, Icicle Crash is now legal with Superpower on the same set, so it should be placed instead of Icicle Spear, in my opinion.

Just confirming female thick fat swinubs
R_N, is this real?

Sand Rush Sandslash. Shit just got REAL.

edit: Too bad Moody is banned, Glalie woulda been great. Yeah, I know Moody was broken as hell, I was there. But still.....

I think Mamoswine is going to be far more of a force in this metagame now than in D/P and normal B/W. Being a physical attacker that can get past Amoongoss is great, but that Ice Shard that hits all the new Kami's and upgraded Dragons is even better.

Mamoswine will be great when bw2 come out, being able to hit the new forms of tornadus, Landorus and thundurus for stab priority Ice Shard. Resisting BoltBeam will also be handy since thundurus might make a re-appearance in OU (it can perform pseudo BoltBeam using HP ice). One flaw is that it is weak to fighting and the new kyurem forms resist ice moves. Great check to salamence as well since it might rise in power due to the move tutors.

mamo's role will most likely be the same as a revenge killer 2 those scary dragon sweepers, and also a hard hitter.

Actually I think it depends a lot on whether one of the Kyurem formes (e.g. Black) gets a trial in OU. If it does, that's one extremely popular Dragon which outspeeds Mamoswine and isn't weak to Ice Shard. The new legendary beast forms might see a fair bit of use with those scary attack stats though (well, Thundurus and Landorus anyway).

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Yeah, Superpower is a more useful move, as it lets Mamoswine get past Ferrothorn, a Pokemon who Mamoswine would have trouble with otherwise. Also, Icicle Crash is now legal with Superpower on the same set, so it should be placed instead of Icicle Spear, in my opinion.
Adamant LO earthquake is a solid 2hko with one layer of hazards down so superpower definitely isn't needed for ferrothorn of all things. Maybe for the likes of balloon heatran and friends.

Still really scary. Start carrying a skarm if you have problems. Ice Shard is amazing priority as always

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Skarm is 3hko'd by LO Icicle Crash. This isn't a huge problem but you should keep this in mind whenever Icicle Crash flinches you.

Ice-type STAB is amazing in the current metagame, and Mamoswine's secondary Ground-typing and Thick Fat almost makes up for it being a horrible defensive typing.

Mamowine easily checks just about every new threat out there in BW2, including all the Kamis, Gliscor, not to mention the dragons everywhere. A solid pokemon indeed.

Yeah, as nice as Thick Fat is, the metagame changing is what's really made Mamoswine better. He's very much an anti-meta mon.

I'm predicting mamo to be top 10 or top 20, it's the ultimate antimeta pokemon. Being able to revenge the new beast forms and having access to a very useable ability and an excellent move pool helps it very much in being successful. Mamo being on of the few pokes that can revenge moxiemence and the beast forms allows it to find a good spot on sand teams. If only mamo revived a hail/sand equivalent to swift swim....

He also revenges the Techniloom, being able to attack with Ice Shard before Breloom can Mach Punch because of Mamoswine's higher speed. His DW ability is a nice perk, but like Amoonguss, the newly introduced threats will contribute a lot to his increased usage.

So truthy. Mamo makes a great addition to so many teams. I've been using a Sub set, and it fills lots of gaps:

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Earthquake

It can come in on Breloom or Gliscor as they sub, and KO them through it with a bit of luck. Against Breloom's Focus Punch, two hits is all you need to block its attack anyway.

It forces lots of switches, and that's where Sub comes in: it can deal with so much more once it has a Sub up. Terrakion, full health Latios/Hydreigon - not to mention Scizor. EQ is an easy 2HKO on Scizor, so Sub as it comes in and and clobber it. If it comes in on Mamo again, it's gone.

As for weather teams, with a Sub it beats Ninetales and TTar, and can sometimes 2HKO Politoed as well. Less effective against opposing Abomasnow, but at least it can't use Leech Seed. Sand teams, with Gliscor, Landorus and TTar, live in fear of this thing: once Skarm is gone, it's basically a Mamosweep.

Generally, it just revenges Outraging dragons, and it can KO Multiscale Dragonite reliably. It generally does 70-80% to Volcarona with EQ from what I've seen.

I find that both Ice attacks are necessary, and EQ of course. This means it gets walled solid by Skarm and Bronzong (no surprise), and can't really do anything to Rotom-W.

That said, it actually makes a good switch into R-W if you're sure it's gonna use an Electric attack. Mamo absorbs the TBolt/Volt Switch, then you Sub. Choiced Rotom, which is most of them these days, will be forced out - and then you're facing something else, from behind a Sub. Other kinds very rarely run full speed, so you'll get to Sub before Hydro Pump and you now know what can outspeed it. If it tries Pain Split or WoW, then you get to chip at it with Icicle Spear for free.

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
i use the same thing groombridge uses except with an adamant nature and life orb.

mamo sweeps so many teams by the endgame with proper team building, i think that this mon is going to be a staple (it always had the potential).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
i use the same thing groombridge uses except with an adamant nature and life orb.

mamo sweeps so many teams by the endgame with proper team building, i think that this mon is going to be a staple (it always had the potential).
This to a T. Mamoswine is clutch in the current metagame since it checks a ton of the new threats (Tornadus-T / Thundurus-T / Landorus) and a bunch of annoying old ones (DRAGONS, Gliscor, etc) and it hits like a monster truck. It's also one of the better offensive SR users since it can actually fit SR into its moveset. (?_? SR Terrakion) Outside of using Rotom-W and Skarmory, Mamoswine is difficult to straight up to counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)