Mandibuzz

Well I've been using Barujiina a lot, and I think I've fallen in love with her... <3

Here's the set I use:

Item: Leftovers
Ability: Fragile Armor (Broken Armor)
EVs: 252 HP, 136 DEF, 120 SPD
Nature: Calm (+SPD -ATK)
Moveset:
-Substitute
-Roost
-Nasty Plot
-Air Slash

In my experience with battling with this monstrosity, I've found out the Barujiina is a massive presence. She can switch into almost anything and brush off the damage like it's nothing. With her bulkiness, you can let her set up three Nasty Plots with ease, leading off to 630ish SPA and STAB Air Slash. Very great Pokemon. Considering that this set isn't Attack-based, Fragile (Broken) Armor does very well for Barujiina.

Yeah, I just found that out. Friggin' Pokemon Database mistranslates things. :[

I guess you could replace it with Dustproof.

Hey, anyone care to run some calcs on this old girl? Haven't seen too many of them lately, and I'm sure some others would want to see how she does against common attacks.

Hey, anyone care to run some calcs on this old girl? Haven't seen too many of them lately, and I'm sure some others would want to see how she does against common attacks.
Why Not...

Code:
252 Timid Life Orb +1 Ulgamoth's Bug Buzz vs 252/0 Impish Barujiina 
72%-86%

252 Adamant Life Orb +2 Doryuzzu's Rock Slide vs 252/252 Impish Barujiina
78%-92%

252 Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar's Stone Edge vs 252/252 Impish Barujiina
90%-106%

252 Jolly Life Orb +2 Garchomp's Outrage vs 252/252 Impish Barujiina
83%-98%

252 Adamant Iron Fist Leftovers +4 Roopushin's Drain Punch vs 252/252 Impish Barujiina
83%-98%

252 Timid Life Orb +6 Jaroda's Leaf Storm vs 252/0 Impish Barujiina
79%-93%
There's a few I guess. Wooo, I was surprised it actually has a decent chance to survive a tyranitars choice banded stone edge (at full health of course), the things a pretty bulky fucker. There he can take a variety of hits from both sides of the spectrum quite well. Can come in on a lot of stat upers and phaze em away b4 they do too much damage (your gonna want to get rid of stealth rock with this guy... makes his life a hell of a lot easier)

Remember Cresselia? Yeah, this is worse . . . :P K so it can survive a hit . . . then what does it do?
Well unlike cress, it can whirlwind them away, so it doesn't just become set up fodder. I'll agree with ya, its not very appealing with 65 offenses, but that bulk has its uses at times.

The fact that it has a reliable recovery move and an immunity to Sandstorm/Hail damage is nice as well. I don't think it will get any higher than the bottom of OU but it will great in UU once we get the tiers straightened out.

When I first saw this, this is what came to my mind:

Barujina@Leftovers
Dustproof
252 HP/136 Def/120 Spd
Nature: Calm (+SPD -ATK)
Roost
Toxic
Torment
Substitute

Really similar to TormentTran, but with a direct healing move. Come in and toxic. Make your gigantic Subs and torment them while you heal. An evil plan for the evil bird!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The fact that it has a reliable recovery move and an immunity to Sandstorm/Hail damage is nice as well. I don't think it will get any higher than the bottom of OU but it will great in UU once we get the tiers straightened out.
Well that I will agree with, but then Cress was banned from UU last gen. :P

Reliable recovery, Phazing and no U-Turn/Pursuit weaks is nice, but SR weak isn't. One issue is that the enemy pokemon have all gotten much better since last gen. I mean, GYARADOS is seriously outclassed on PO . . . :/

Didn't see this posted yet:

Barujina@ leftovers
Dustproof
Impish/Bold
252HP/252 Def/ 4 SpD (open to tweeking)

-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Roost
-Taunt/Bone Rush/Knock Off/U Turn/Whirlwind

So the plan is to trap an opponent and then let toxic take care of them while roosting off their damage. The last move is really just dependant on what you want to achieve. I'd run taunt to stop the enemy healing or toxing me back, but bone rush is there to deal with the steel and poison types who are immune to toxic. Knock Off is another potentially useful utility move and whirlwind and U-turn are there to end an unwanted match-up with a steel/poison/immunity poke, one way or the other.

Didn't see this posted yet:

Barujina@ leftovers
Dustproof
Impish/Bold
252HP/252 Def/ 4 SpD (open to tweeking)

-Mean Look
-Toxic
-Roost
-Taunt/Bone Rush/Knock Off/U Turn/Whirlwind

So the plan is to trap an opponent and then let toxic take care of them while roosting off their damage. The last move is really just dependant on what you want to achieve. I'd run taunt to stop the enemy healing or toxing me back, but bone rush is there to deal with the steel and poison types who are immune to toxic. Knock Off is another potentially useful utility move and whirlwind and U-turn are there to end an unwanted match-up with a steel/poison/immunity poke, one way or the other.
The set I use is really similar to that.

I use

Barujina@ leftovers
Dustproof
Impish
172HP/252 Def/ 84 SpD
-Mean Look
-Roost
-Toxic
-Fly

This set plays just as your set. Fly is to stall for leftovers recovery and toxic damage, while dealing a decent amount to attackers. Its defenses are AMAZING. It's able to stall out against tough attackers like Tyrannitar, Mamoswine, Lucario, ect. It would be overpowered if it got perish song. :P

The set I use is really similar to that.

I use

Barujina@ leftovers
Dustproof
Impish
172HP/252 Def/ 84 SpD
-Mean Look
-Roost
-Toxic
-Fly

This set plays just as your set. Fly is to stall for leftovers recovery and toxic damage, while dealing a decent amount to attackers. Its defenses are AMAZING. It's able to stall out against tough attackers like Tyranitar, Mamoswine, Lucario, ect. It would be overpowered if it got perish song. :P
Why would you want to trap Lucario with that set? Fly barely hurts it, and toxic doesn't effect it. You're just asking Lucario to set up 3 Swords Dances or Nasty Plots on you so it can OHKO your entire team <_<.

I think it might be able to pull off an Anti-Doryuuzu set PERFECTLY

Barujina@ Leftovers
Dustproof
Impish
252 Def/176 HP/80 Speed
-Roost
-Scary Face
-Embargo/Air Slash/Bark Out

The idea here is that you come in on an EQ and Scary Face Doryuuzu. It probably won't be able to do too much at -2 Speed, so if it switches out, use one of the last two moves to cripple the incoming counter. Each has its own uses, but sadly, only 2 can be used. Embargo cancels held items for 5 turns, which can reduce damage output and help you survive (Knock Off and Scary Face are illegal on the same set). Air Slash is there in case Dory decides to stay in, which you'll read about later. Bark Out is to stop Special Attackers and deal some damage at the same time. Now here's the calcs:

252 Adamant Doryuuzu's LO Rock Slide~42.0-49.9% (NEVER 2HKO)

252 Adamant Doryuuzu's LO Rock Slide against Roosted Barujina~21.0-24.7% (5HKO haha)

252 Adamant Doryuuzu's LO Earthquake against Roosted Barujina~41.4-48.9% (NEVER 2HKO)

The biggest accomplishment here is the fact that Doryuuzu's 252 Adamant Life Orb Rock Slide will NEVER 2HKO Barujina without a critical hit. This means Baru can come in on an Earthquake, Scary Face Dory, then stall it out with roost. If Dory starts to get smart and realize that you're roosting, he may go for an EQ, but even that can't 2HKO! Baru also doesn't take damage from Sandstorm, so you can stall out the sandstorm turns until it can't do much. When Sandstorm is gone, you can flinch it to death with Air Slash if it's stupid enough to switch in.

There's absolutely nothing stopping Doryuuzu from setting up even more Swords Dances and you're going to need at least 2 Scary Faces to outspeed it. Just go with Whirlwind.

Hmm... A slight alteration might make it work.

Barujina@ Leftovers
Dustproof
Impish
252 Def/176 HP/80 Speed
-Roost
-Scary Face
-Whirlwind

Same reasons, with Whirlwind there to keep out Dory. Air Slash is the STAB of choice because Scary Face may allow you to Flinchax somebody into oblivion.

God, when i saw this thing, all what my mind was set on was to toxic it and nothing else, burning that burn won't fry it at all and with dust-proof sandstorm doesn't hurt it (and hail) if this bird somehow got magic guard then we'd be all doomed. It's massive bulk doesn't even let Stealth rock pose a problem.

Looking at this thread, I'm wondering if I was the only one to notice or I was just hallucinating...Anyone else notice that Barujina gets Defog? That'd be great for breaking screens, if you're not relying on SR and the like. With Whirlwind, though, I can see how Barujina could be more effective with them. Just another option.

Does Barujiina really offer anything significant that Skarmory can't do better?

More Special bulk I guess, but Skarmory has the better typing so that kind of evens it out. What else is there?

Does Barujiina really offer anything significant that Skarmory can't do better?
The differences aren't huge, but there are some notable things such as the typing (Dark over Steel can be nice if you have a Psychic-type weakness or simply don't want an extra Fire-weakness on your team) and certain moves (Knock Off, Payback, Mean Look). As you've mentioned, the more balanced defenses also make a difference, and most players aren't very familiar with Vuljina as opposed to Skarmory, so there's also the surprise factor. A really minor bonus is immunity to hail damage, but that rarely - if ever - matters.

I like to point out that Barujiina is bulkier than Skarmory, and is the physically bulkiest flying type their is, with the exception of pokemon with intimidate, and Lugia. Another mention is that it can actually take on Gengar and Starmie, especially ones that lack Thunderbolt, unlike Tyrannitar and Skarmory who fall to Focus Blast, and Hydro Pump. Payback OHKOes Gengar after Stealth Rock, and does massive damage to Starmie.

got talking to ifly yesterday and he recommended i try this mon out... it's immense. it took a couple of games to get used to it but now im pretty comfortable using a set of toxic/sub/ww/roost. basically toxic everything you can and stall it out. this has incredible synergy with forra who can lay down hazards which means you do a fair bit whilst you ww them for fun (and spread toxic around too, i havent used toxic on any other poke for a while) as well as spinning rocks and with zone who can get those steels that arent effected by toxic. great mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)