Pokémon Mawile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conkeldurr also has usable bulk on both sides with Assault Vest and Mach Punch, along with semi-reliable recovery with Drain Punch. That's why it can, overall, afford to be so slow. Mawile's physical bulk is usable (moreso if it gets Intimidate off,) but her special bulk is less so. If you want Mawile to do anything without priority you need to rely solely on hitting things on the switch and taking hits overall. Yeah, Mawile can live through a hit here or there, but considering her weaknesses are so common (and you're only getting Magnet Rise up on the switch,) you're rarely in a situation where you can get more than one or two hits off. With priority Mawile can take out many threats with ease that would otherwise make you take unnecessary damage.

I'm sure Knock Off Mawile can be effective in certain situations, but I think Sucker Punch is on the whole a more useful move, and better users of Knock Off exist.
Crawdaunt admittedly is the only other user of this move that poses an offensive threat...and its slow
how is mawile's speed is it good against others because if not then i will put reuniclus on my team and trick room

is gengar a revenge killer or is he clean up

also i went to the glittering cave andi found no feroseeds does anyone have a hatched fero seed i can have
In all my battles i intended to use him for revenging, but he ended up cleaning out the entire team many times

As for mawile's speed its great for trick room, but outside of it there are quite a number of defensive pokes that outspeed and cripple it if u run a TR EV spread.
Speed-creeping mawile is probably the best imo, as it outspeeds alot of slower threats while also outspeeding slower offensive threats that invest in bulk instead, allowing mawile to setup with ease behind a sub.

There are a lot of sets running Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Iron Head, but I don't get why Iron Head has such prevalence. Even without STAB, Ice Punch and Fire Fang seem like better moves for the situations you'd find yourself in. With Play Rough you are only resisted by Poison, Steel, and Fire. Fire Fang, Ice Punch, and Iron Head are all neutral to poison and are all resisted by fire, but Fire Fang is strong against Steel whereas Iron Head and Ice Punch are resisted by it.

I got bored and made a chart. If you're not going to use Sucker Punch for whatever reason (predicting switch/status/setup), the green cells below are the best move against each type. Play Rough is obviously the workhorse of the set.

(types sorted very roughly by prevalence in OU)

Ice Punch helps with Flying and Ground types, but Fire Fang provides very nice coverage for the overabundance of steel types (especially Scizor, Klefki, Ferrothorn and Forretress) as well as countering other Mega Mawiles. Iron Head is nice against Fairies not named Mawile/Klefki/Azumarill, I guess? But since Fairy doesn't resist Fairy, you're still going to most likely murder it with Play Rough.

So if you're running a 3-attack set on Mega Mawile, I'd say make the third Fire Fang > Ice Punch > Iron Head for coverage purposes, or Knock Off if you want to try something different.

Standard Swords Dance
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
Item: Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk + whatever HP/Speed split you want
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang / Ice Punch / Knock Off

Last edited:
There are a lot of sets running Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Iron Head, but I don't get why Iron Head has such prevalence. Even without STAB, Ice Punch and Fire Fang seem like better moves for the situations you'd find yourself in. With Play Rough and Sucker Punch you are only resisted by Poison, Steel, and Fire. Fire Fang, Ice Punch, and Iron Head are all neutral to poison and are all resisted by fire, but Fire Fang is strong against Steel whereas Iron Head and Ice Punch are resisted by it.

I got bored and made a chart. If you're not going to use Sucker Punch for whatever reason (predicting switch/status/setup), the green cells below are the best move against each type. Play Rough is obviously the workhorse of the set.
*A Lovely Chart*

Ice Punch helps with Flying and Ground types, but Fire Fang provides very nice coverage for the overabundance of steel types (especially Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress) as well as countering other Mega Mawiles and Klefkis. Iron Head is nice against Fairies, I guess? But since Fairy doesn't resist Fairy, you're still going to most likely murder it with Play Rough.

So if you're running a 3-attack set on Mega Mawile, I'd say make the third Fire Fang > Ice Punch > Iron Head for coverage purposes, or Knock Off if you want to try something different.

Standard Swords Dance
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
Personally, I run Iron Head as a reliable option. There are cases where Fire Fang and Ice Fang are inherently better, but there are times when Iron Head is too. Most importantly, though, is that I don't need to rely on a move with suboptimal accuracy. There are a lot of times when I need a powerful neutral move that I know will KO the target, but I don't want to risk missing.

Maybe I just get way too angry when I miss and lose because of it. Regardless I think it's important to remember that Iron Head has reliability on its side.

There are a lot of sets running Play Rough / Sucker Punch / Iron Head, but I don't get why Iron Head has such prevalence. Even without STAB, Ice Punch and Fire Fang seem like better moves for the situations you'd find yourself in. With Play Rough and Sucker Punch you are only resisted by Poison, Steel, and Fire. Fire Fang, Ice Punch, and Iron Head are all neutral to poison and are all resisted by fire, but Fire Fang is strong against Steel whereas Iron Head and Ice Punch are resisted by it.

Ice Punch helps with Flying and Ground types, but Fire Fang provides very nice coverage for the overabundance of steel types (especially Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress) as well as countering other Mega Mawiles and Klefkis. Iron Head is nice against Fairies, I guess? But since Fairy doesn't resist Fairy, you're still going to most likely murder it with Play Rough.

Standard Swords Dance
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
Wow thats your first message... Anyway, because I hatched a shiny mawile without fire fang, I'm going to have to defend Iron head :3. Looking at the chart, Iron head is being used because it is your best way to damage poison types/ fairies. Most poison types can't do much to mawile, but there is such a thing called passive damage. M-Venasaur and Weezing can wear you down faster than you can try to kill it. Another reason (my favorite imo lol) is that it has 100 acc. play rough's 90 acc. can sometimes put mawile's life in jeopardy. Its power is close enough to it anyway, and you dont want that tyranitar to phaze you or hit you with something SE. I am leaning towards fire fang, but because of my mawile in Y, I can see the perks of iron head.

Wow thats your first message... Anyway, because I hatched a shiny mawile without fire fang, I'm going to have to defend Iron head :3. Looking at the chart, Iron head is being used because it is your best way to damage poison types/ fairies. Most poison types can't do much to mawile, but there is such a thing called passive damage. M-Venasaur and Weezing can wear you down faster than you can try to kill it. Another reason (my favorite imo lol) is that it has 100 acc. play rough's 90 acc. can sometimes put mawile's life in jeopardy. Its power is close enough to it anyway, and you dont want that tyranitar to phaze you or hit you with something SE. I am leaning towards fire fang, but because of my mawile in Y, I can see the perks of iron head.
And by the way, at +2 Iron Head safely 2HKOes ferrothorn so i don't usually feel like i'm missing coverage.

iron head is good against fairies but that's it. And give me a fairy that enjoys taking a +2 play rough or can switch into a play rough. Here's a max defence florges, for example:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 255-300 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's got an OHKO on standard sylveon and togekiss (with rocks). So really what is iron head there to hit. Mawile doesn't even have the speed to abuse the flinch hax of iron head, though maybe it could have paralysis support. Poison, now there's a good type in OU. It's main user is mega-venusaur, and mawile isn't doing crap to mega-vena tbh (maybe the sub-split set can do something, but really not much).

Fire fang, on the other hand. Oh boy it does heaps. Promises OHKOs on Scizor, Genesect, Ferrothorn. It OHKOs Trevenant (admittedly a sp. def varient) if rocks are up and 2HKOs it if it's max defence and sitrus harvest (with rocks again). It gets 2HKOs against things like Jirachi, even if its a physically defensive one, which iron head 3 or 4HKOs (sucker punch isn't going to help while rachi get's behind subs and sets up or paralyses you). It 2HKOs Aegislash, even in shield form (obvious OHKO in blade form). Not even skarmory can switch in safely:

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I hope this settles why fire fang is better than iron head. As a big user of mega-mawile, fire fang is useful all the time. Try it and you'll agree

iron head is good against fairies but that's it. And give me a fairy that enjoys taking a +2 play rough or can switch into a play rough. Here's a max defence florges, for example:
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Florges: 255-300 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's got an OHKO on standard sylveon and togekiss (with rocks). So really what is iron head there to hit. Mawile doesn't even have the speed to abuse the flinch hax of iron head, though maybe it could have paralysis support. Poison, now there's a good type in OU. It's main user is mega-venusaur, and mawile isn't doing crap to mega-vena tbh (maybe the sub-split set can do something, but really not much).

Fire fang, on the other hand. Oh boy it does heaps. Promises OHKOs on Scizor, Genesect, Ferrothorn. It OHKOs Trevenant (admittedly a sp. def varient) if rocks are up and 2HKOs it if it's max defence and sitrus harvest (with rocks again). It gets 2HKOs against things like Jirachi, even if its a physically defensive one, which iron head 3 or 4HKOs (sucker punch isn't going to help while rachi get's behind subs and sets up or paralyses you). It 2HKOs Aegislash, even in shield form (obvious OHKO in blade form). Not even skarmory can switch in safely:

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I hope this settles why fire fang is better than iron head. As a big user of mega-mawile, fire fang is useful all the time. Try it and you'll agree
I will gladly agree if play rough didn't missed 2 times out of 3, so i prefer to run double stab to ensure the kill on cosmic power clefable.
By the way, Iron Head already 2HKOes trevenant without a boost and most of those are slower than my mawile

I have to agree with Seiterman it's just that when I pass to Mawile I don't want to use Ice Fang,Fire Fang,Play Rough because I don't want to risk missing or when I use Ice Punch it might not kill and Sucker might fail..it may be because I'm paranoid as heck but I like using Iron Head to get that kill. Plus STAB.

I see what you mean about accuracy but play rough actually almost always hits for me (9 times out of 10). It didn't get the stone edge and hydro pump 50% miss rate, luckily. I just think you need fire fang to the abundant steel types in OU at the moment. Unless you've got coverage from a bulky fire type and a defog user or spinner, most things that wall mawile without fire fang are steel types. Something like sp. def rotom-h makes an ideal partner for mawile imo as he can take the crippling burn and paralysis and hits through steel types with ease. Heatran, a big mawile counter, can't do crap to rotom-h either, unless it is a roar set. If you have the correct support, iron head is a viable option, but I still think fire fang is better.

So, after theorymoning a lot and then playtesting another lot, this is the Ultimate Ass-Kicker Mawile I could come up with:

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 HP / 220 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch

220+ Spd to outspeed Rotom-W. You Substitute before their WoW (seriously, they'll try to WoW you no doubt, 220+ is a lot of investment) and now they have their pants in their hands. Not even mentioning the whole lot of other stuff you can outspeed now (noninvested Base 80 for that matter).

Focus Punch is such a great move and it hits harder than STAB Play Rough. Also, Focus Punch + Play Rough + Sucker Punch = 0 No Effect | 0 Not Very Effective | 397 Normal Effectiveness | 377 Super Effective, which is pretty cool.

Also, Sucker Punch is one of the best moves in this metagame. Mostly because it's very offensive so you almost always net a priority 80BP Dark move. It also goes very well with Substitute (since they have to attack you in order to break the Subs).

Seriously, at first I was skeptical about Mawile, but I just had to run it because he looks so cool and has amazing Attack. Ever since I tried this set and this EV spread, I'm in love with this guy.

I have been using thunder fang and has seemed to be very effective against annoying switch in talonflames.
Talonflame was never a good switch in to begin with, Iron Head is a 2HKO on most offensive variants and Play Rough hits even harder. Also, Talonflame can't Brave Bird against you since you resist it, which means you can also do a clean 72 - 80% with Sucker Punch before it Flare Blitzes you.

Pft, resistances.

Talonflame was never a good switch in to begin with, Iron Head is a 2HKO on most offensive variants and Play Rough hits even harder. Also, Talonflame can't Brave Bird against you since you resist it, which means you can also do a clean 72 - 80% with Sucker Punch before it Flare Blitzes you.

Pft, resistances.
fair enough.

I run Iron head, Play rough, Stone edge (for fire type switch ins) and sucker punch...
My team has rain support to mitigate fire weakness...
But I am seriously considering Fire fang now because it is true that steel types and even bulky grass/ poison types like Venusaur can be problems...

What do you guys think? Should I swap a move? If so which one?

Edit: I tested it and I realize it's a good replacement to stone edge if.... it wasn't weakened by my own rain support... Fail.

You want Brick Break if you can't run Fire Fang due to rain.

+2 Sucker Punch is still M.Mawile's best answer for Fire switch ins without WoW.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Pft, resistances.
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Leftovers Talonflame: 183-216 (50.97 - 60.16%) -- 89.84% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Leftovers Talonflame: 123-144 (34.26 - 40.11%) -- 42.04% chance to 3HKO

On one hand, Bulk Up Talon still takes a ton on the switch. On the other, it can Bulk Up to weaken Mega-Mawile's damage output, and can Taunt you to prevent Swords Dance by the time you figure it out. It would then proceed to boost up until Brave Bird is strong enough to 2HKO, all while rendering Sucker punch useless the whole time.

I have been using thunder fang and has seemed to be very effective against annoying switch in talonflames.
Though really, unless Gyarados and Skarmory (can still be Fire Fanged) bothers you more, you should try Rock Slide instead since it hits Talonflame and also Charizard plus Volcarona without activating Flame Body.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Leftovers Talonflame: 183-216 (50.97 - 60.16%) -- 89.84% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. +1 248 HP / 0 Def Leftovers Talonflame: 123-144 (34.26 - 40.11%) -- 42.04% chance to 3HKO

On one hand, Bulk Up Talon still takes a ton on the switch. On the other, it can Bulk Up to weaken Mega-Mawile's damage output, and can Taunt you to prevent Swords Dance by the time you figure it out. It would then proceed to boost up until Brave Bird is strong enough to 2HKO, all while rendering Sucker punch useless the whole time.

Though really, unless Gyarados and Skarmory (can still be Fire Fanged) bothers you more, you should try Rock Slide instead since it hits Talonflame and also Charizard plus Volcarona without activating Flame Body.
yeah there is defiantly more charizards than skarmory's.

I'm in the accuracy camp as far as the viability of iron head. In fact, I generally don't run inaccurate moves unless I absolutely have to. I've lost countless battles because play rough has missed on vital enemies and gotten Mawile KO'd. I also like that it's a reliable way to check enemy fairy types that aren't named Azumarill (and I have Lilligant for that), especially since one of my friends runs around with a Gardevoir and a Togekiss. The flinch chance, while small, has come through for me against certain sturdy users so the usual rock switch ins packing Earthquake have to think twice about freely jumping in.

There's also the fact that I've leveled up and max friended two mawiles already (the only reason I even did the second was cause it was 5IV), so I'm really reluctant to do it a third time. I might play around on showdown and see how it works out.

You want Brick Break if you can't run Fire Fang due to rain.

+2 Sucker Punch is still M.Mawile's best answer for Fire switch ins without WoW.
I tried that too and it's good for reflect prankster except sableye, but Mega Venusaur keeps walking me still.

Read the last couple pages about using Pain Split vs Mega Venusaur. Fire Fang would only do neutral damage anyways due to Thick Fat.
Thanks I didn't realize I had access to pain split.
Guess I will just have to transfer one from Pokebank... oh wait....
Lol much appreciated anyways.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you must insist on Iron Head, can't you just run it over Play Rough? You get your main STAB and you can run a real coverage move alongside it so that you aren't fantastically walled by Steels. If you ask me, Play Rough is worth the miss chance, and Mega Mawile is just bulky enough to afford a miss every once in a while.

Also, consider that Fire types don't have to attack you. Heatran can just Roar you out without the Sucker Punch ever connecting. If your coverage move is Fire Fang, you can't even hit him on the way in, allowing him to switch in with impunity all game.

Thx haunter
Imo if talonflame switches in on a swords dance it'll be a coin toss for it, since sucker punch and play rough ohko it already

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 436-513 (146.3 - 172.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 367-432 (123.1 - 144.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

While megawile actually has room for error:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 97-114 (31.9 - 37.5%) -- 91.4% chance to 3HKO

Also, talonflame becomes predictable as fuck when it comes in on a megawile, so swapping to something like heatran won't hurt

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
If you must insist on Iron Head, can't you just run it over Play Rough? You get your main STAB and you can run a real coverage move alongside it so that you aren't fantastically walled by Steels. If you ask me, Play Rough is worth the miss chance, and Mega Mawile is just bulky enough to afford a miss every once in a while.

Also, consider that Fire types don't have to attack you. Heatran can just Roar you out without the Sucker Punch ever connecting. If your coverage move is Fire Fang, you can't even hit him on the way in, allowing him to switch in with impunity all game.
I'm not sure about Iron Head as Mega-Mawile's sole STAB. Play Rough & Iron Head Mawiles both need to cover Fires and Steels, but while Play Rough Mawile just has to cover Poison-types, Iron Head Mawile needs to hit Water- and Electric-types, which are way more common / dangerous to Mawile.

I think the main reason Mawiles run Iron Head alongside Play Rough is because Iron Head is the "lazy way" to hit Poison-types for the best neutral damage.

I love having Mega Mawile on my team and i've promoted him to be my team captain. It's a freaky good pomemon to have. But i think he should have payback on his moveset because of his terrible speed. Heres my mawile
Payback
Sucker punch
Play rough
Substitute
This move set works good for me and it seems to scare my foes. They see me throwing out a sub, then hit em with payback and sucker punch they asses. Play rough DESTROYS
. That is all thanks! -corn fritter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)