Mewtwo

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW anyone considered running MegaMewTwo X as Calm Mind user ? He still has great 154 base SpA, good base speed and great second STAB to use, while allow you to beat stuff like Specially Defensive Tyranitar 100% of time thanks to 120 base power Aura Sphere (or if you feel brave, Focus Miss is still there) and Fighting typing makes you take much, much less damage from moves like Scizor or Genesect U-Turn, TTar Crunch or Darkrai Dark Pulse. Also thanks to STAB Fighting you could open up your moveslot for something else than fire attack to cover Steels. Sounds interesting on paper, although I would need to check calculations.

Or Physically Defensive StallTwo MewTwo X with Reflect/Recover/WoW/Taunt sounds decent as well, especially when Fighting provide you resistance to Rock (and you still have for example resistance to Fighting) and you only take neutral from Bug and Dark attacks, making you even better against those types. While at first it may get some heavy competition from Fighting Arceus - it's faster, with Reflect + Wow it's bulkier on physical side and Taunt allows you to beat stall teams as well. Just some food for thought.
Well the idea of stalltwo is to give it a lot of special bulk and use WoW to beat the remaining physical attackers. You would not be able to get away with that moveset due to Ho-oh and Heatran, though.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Physically defensive is still almost always ohko'd by +1 Zen after SR iirc. It's not exactly difficult to keep SR up, despite what some people will say.
It's definitely easier to keep SR off than last gen at least, though I agree Ho-Oh is screwed if SR is up. Though you could also say lots of things are screwed against M2X if SR is up, because its totally true. :P

It's definitely easier to keep SR off than last gen at least, though I agree Ho-Oh is screwed if SR is up. Though you could also say lots of things are screwed against M2X if SR is up, because its totally true. :P
Well Arceus-Fairy/Ghost/Psychic/Ho-oh/Aeroblast Lugia/Dtail Gira-A aren't really screwed that badly (Unless Mewtwo has Stone Edge for Lugia, in which case it's walled by something else).

Id definately prefer X over the two, for one thing the fighting STAB is OP, as it covers 5 types super effectively as opposed to psychic types 2. This makes drain punch BP go up to 112.5, with 50% of the damage healed(no need to waste a move on recover....), that and earthquake with its 100bp and 5type SE coverage, aswell as the only earth type move he learns along with bulldoze(both physical). I would also see Ice punch as a very viable option for the coverage of dragons aswell as 4 type SE. Adamant would defenately be the go for me. Also dont understand why people are suggesting running Aura sphere on him, why would you use a move with 5 more BP thats a special attack move when Mega Mewtwo X has 190 base attack stat..... it will never compete with Brick Break or Drain Punch. Yes Mega Mewtwo Y has Psystrike with its 150BP after STAB but needs to waste a move on recovery, as well as having weaker defences to start. In my opinion for the most pokemon encountered I see X as being a much more useful pokemon. Again just my opinion though ;)

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
I still don't get what's so good about MMX. Its STAB moves are frankly pathetic by ubers standards, that base 190 attack isn't that impressive when you realize it can't hold boosting items. It's essentially a bulkier Weavile with a worse setup move, worse STABs and slightly better coverage.

I still don't get what's so good about MMX. Its STAB moves are frankly pathetic by ubers standards, that base 190 attack isn't that impressive when you realize it can't hold boosting items. It's essentially a bulkier Weavile with a worse setup move, worse STABs and slightly better coverage.
The big deal is it's defensive potential, not it's offensive. Unlike Weavlie's poor ice/dark typing, Psychic/Fighting is a good defensive typing and changes the list of checks/counters regular Mewtwo faces. The bulk increase is noticeable. I do agree that its 190 attack is underutilized though.

Even with fairies, fighting stab is still a boon to it. I'm still on the fence about mixed sets though (for Mewtwo X aura sphere runners), they just seem outclassed. Psystrike maybe... but eh?

Good point! For 99% of pokemon you will come up against in ubers low kick will dish out 100-120 BP without the drawbacks of close combat, and even if zen headbutt is only 80BP who cares its one extra type to get STAB on, which is more than MMY has. As for the best boosting held items like life orb/ scarfs etc, they always come as double edged swords with drawbacks at any rate. As one more plus ubers rate physical attacking pokemon more highly special sweepers in general. Even outside his STAB moves how is Earthquake not good?

I'm not feeling the whole mixed MMX set, but I can see it being useful in certain situations.

Anyways, I have been passing a swords dance and speed boosts from shedninja to MMX and it has some hilarious results. Without the need for boosting moves, Mewtwo X can carry 4 attacking moves which gives him that godly coverage life orb Mewtwo has. Rockslide absolutely nails Ho-oh, MMX biggest counter, and its good coverage.

Honestly I would have at least Psystrike as the special move on the mixed MMX set along with brick break (obviously) and earthquake. Oh and Bulk Up; no exceptions. If you do run MMX you better slap that TM08 on him in order to play with him
Why? Zen Headbutt & Psystrike both use the same Defense, unlike Aura Sphere & Drain Punch (not that I'd use Special attacks on this thing).

So, I'm trying to figure out an EV spread for MMY here, we settled on Timid with 192 Speed with the rest in HP? Is it really that important to outspeed Mega Alakazam? Should it just max speed to tie other Mewtwos? Or should tying other Mewtwos be irrelevant and you just use Aegislash to pick them off with Shadow Sneak?

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
So, I'm trying to figure out an EV spread for MMY here, we settled on Timid with 192 Speed with the rest in HP? Is it really that important to outspeed Mega Alakazam? Should it just max speed to tie other Mewtwos? Or should tying other Mewtwos be irrelevant and you just use Aegislash to pick them off with Shadow Sneak?
I don't why you're talking about Mega Alakazam but Mewtwo Y should at the least run enough Speed to beat Base 130's, like MMX and Mega Gengar. The extra Speed doesn't really let you do anything above beating those base 130s, as you still don't have enough to beat neutral Natured base 90 Scarfers.

So I have been thinking that a hasty nature would be best for a mixed MMX and there should be maxed out speed Evs on it. Now what do you think on the rest of the Evs and the idea of a mixed MMX?

What about a mixed Mewtwo Y? Its Attack stat gets boosted too, so it could fire away, say Earthquake or something for a surprise attack.

Doesn't hit anything that aura sphere doesn't hit bar aegis but you have fire blast for that
If Mewtwo didn't have access to Psystrike(or Psyshock for that matter) running Stone Edge, like some Reshiram do, would be a good option in order to hit Ho-oh and Kyogre hard. But he has Psystrike, so any physical move is pointless on ClassicTwo and MegaTwo X.

If Mewtwo didn't have access to Psystrike(or Psyshock for that matter) running Stone Edge, like some Reshiram do, would be a good option in order to hit Ho-oh and Kyogre hard. But he has Psystrike, so any physical move is pointless on ClassicTwo and MegaTwo X.
So are you saying that MMX's attack means nothing on it? I mean yeah I love psystrike but what good is it going to have on x?

Does that mean MMX nature should be Jolly?
Im just curious seeing how im gonna catch this thing pretty soon
If you want to catch a Mewtwo in order to use his X form, you should do it in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, because its best Fighting moves, Drain Punch and Low Kick, are unaviable in X and Y. Bacause of this, catch a Timid one in X and Y for use the Y form, or even the ClassicTwo with Life Orb.

About the MegaTwo X nature, the best is Naive, because it often runs special moves such as Ice Beam for coverage. But if you plain to use a full physical Mewtwo, then Jolly or Adamant are the best.

If you want to catch a Mewtwo in order to use his X form, you should do it in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, because its best Fighting moves, Drain Punch and Low Kick, are unaviable in X and Y. Bacause of this, catch a Timid one in X and Y for use the Y form, or even the ClassicTwo with Life Orb.
This. The Mewtwo you catch in the 3DS games misses out on its best attacks from previous generations. If you're able, you could get one from FR/LG for a couple of other moves: Counter & Selfdestruct.

I recall from Gen 2 on, if I used Mewtwo against most mons and KO them, I would shout:
SIT DOWN, SON! YOU'VE JUST BEEN SCHOOLED!
Anyway...

I like the sets OP made. I might have to try them.

Hey so question. While I will probably replay Heartgold after pokebank comes out (for better moves) I thought I'd use a mixed MegaMewtwoX set for fun. Not the best ever by any stretch but not sopposed to be either I suppose; but for the life of me I can't think of how to do his EVs...

(X Item Thingy)
Hasty
Psycho Cut
Earthquake
Fire Blast/Thunder
Aura Sphere

I can't figure out a EV spread though and thus am posting like a goon at 3AM.

EVs in speed totally or not?

Just one offence or both?

Help please -|o__0|-

Hey so question. While I will probably replay Heartgold after pokebank comes out (for better moves) I thought I'd use a mixed MegaMewtwoX set for fun. Not the best ever by any stretch but not sopposed to be either I suppose; but for the life of me I can't think of how to do his EVs...

(X Item Thingy)
Hasty
Psycho Cut
Earthquake
Fire Blast/Thunder
Aura Sphere

I can't figure out a EV spread though and thus am posting like a goon at 3AM.

EVs in speed totally or not?

Just one offence or both?

Help please -|o__0|-
I'd use Drain Punch over Aura Sphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)