Milotic

Swimming goggles is definitely not boosting acc and speed by one stage each. That's a choice scarf without penalty and acc added to boot.

Swimming goggles is definitely not boosting acc and speed by one stage each. That's a choice scarf without penalty and acc added to boot.
The penalty for the item is potentially that it is usable by only water types. So there is a downside to the item if they wanted to make it 1 stage each.

Well, te rumors haven't said anything about the boost itself, only that it boosts acc and speed.

And still, cloyster/relicanth would have more use for it.

I am a little bewildered on why they wouldn't help Milotic. At least it gets the goggles and boiling water, even if the Goggles don't help as much as Lefties (well, IMO, maybe goggles is better but anyway) but anyway "intoxicating body" sounds so damn better than attract lol.

Let's please shift away from Swimming Goggles discussion until it has been confirmed... Anyway, I think Milotic will keep its niche as the best non-stat boosting sleep talker, and is still viable as a bulky water in higher play--perhaps a sweeping set is in order in this HO generation.

Let's please shift away from Swimming Goggles discussion until it has been confirmed... Anyway, I think Milotic will keep its niche as the best non-stat boosting sleep talker, and is still viable as a bulky water in higher play--perhaps a sweeping set is in order in this HO generation.
Not to mention the ever-useful Recover. I haven't tried it, but a set of Rest/Sleep Talk/(Water filler such as Surf or in Gen V, Boiling Water)/Recover. You wouldn't be sweeping, but for whatever use it has, it's probably a bitch to take down.

Milotic will be as solid and as useful, and maintain the same role it has had in Gen III and Gen 4. Rest/Sleep Talk/Boiling Water/Filler. Offensive Milotic were never good. Boiling water is an amazing move, which would be wasted on Sweeping sets. How good grass types are will depend on how Milotic is this Gen. If they were the same standard as this Gen, Milotic will be a staple choice.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
It's a shame Milotic and Vaporeon don't have access to Calm Mind this gen. With Marvel Scale, Milotic would arguably be an even better Offensive Booster than Suicune. Sadly, this is not the case. :(

Not to say Milotic isn't viable offensively...but I would continue to use it as a specially defensive tank. Milotic really wants to take hits from some of the new special sweepers.

It's a shame Milotic and Vaporeon don't have access to Calm Mind this gen. With Marvel Scale, Milotic would arguably be an even better Offensive Booster than Suicune. Sadly, this is not the case. :(

Not to say Milotic isn't viable offensively...but I would continue to use it as a specially defensive tank. Milotic really wants to take hits from some of the new special sweepers.
Calm Mind would make them broken, IMO. Anyway, if Milotic can be transferred with Whirlpool, then it has an effective Toxic-Trap set with Whirlpool turns set at 5-6. Also, Magic Coat from Platinum is a solid support move now... Milotic might have lead potential with it.

I knew Cipher Admin Lovrina would make a thread about Milotic...

I think Milotic will be staying around UU still because she is still incredibly bulky and Boiling Water just helps her out even more. I'm not sure if she'll be viable in OU though when you look at all the powerhouses running around now.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Cipher, I think you need to remove one of the EV spreads in the OP: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Spe. Without any Physical Defense Investment, Milotic just can't switch into anything physical. In theory, Marvel Scale makes up for this, but without any investment, you can't survive things like +2 Close Combat from LO Lucario when Marvel Scale is activated, which is very unappealing.

I said this before, but 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD Calm is the best EV spread on Milotic in every single possible scenario on a defensive oriented Milotic. I know this because I have been testing Milotic for months now, and I have probably used every viable set. With that spread, it's just...the best mixed wall in OU. Seriously.

Also, why isn't Surf slashed? Milotic wants some power, and Boiling Water is vastly overrated, since very few physical threats want to switch directly into her.

Cipher, I think you need to remove one of the EV spreads in the OP: 252 HP/252 SpD/4 Spe. Without any Physical Defense Investment, Milotic just can't switch into anything physical. In theory, Marvel Scale makes up for this, but without any investment, you can't survive things like +2 Close Combat from LO Lucario when Marvel Scale is activated, which is very unappealing.

I said this before, but 252 HP/240 Def/16 SpD Calm is the best EV spread on Milotic in every single possible scenario on a defensive oriented Milotic. I know this because I have been testing Milotic for months now, and I have probably used every viable set. With that spread, it's just...the best mixed wall in OU. Seriously.
That's not necessarily true. Getting good defense allows you to block a wider range of attacks (and in my opinion is the better EV spread, I use the same EVs as you) but it's not impossible to use Milotic like Blissey and only bring her in to wall special attacks.

Also, why isn't Surf slashed? Milotic wants some power, and Boiling Water is vastly overrated, since very few physical threats want to switch directly into her.
The lose in power seems pretty minor (80 vs 95)... Can you think of any valuable kills she loses due to the swap that make up for the lack of 30% Burn?

Milotic didn't get much, but Swimming Goggles and Boiling Water is all it needed anyway. Still, a bit too similiar to Suicune and Vaporeon.
There appears to be no such thing as Swimming Goggles my friend.

We will obviously need to do some testing in BW--the sets I posted were just outlines really!

How is boiling water and dragon tail nothing? Milotic just got a better haze and an ability to burn things to make up for its semi low defence. Yes almost everything else got it, but milotic as always has hypnosis recover and marvel scale right there to show the other bulky waters. I guess it has haze, but the only reason to run that is to remove the boosts first. Its probably not moving up a tier, but it is not leaving uu.

How is boiling water and dragon tail nothing? Milotic just got a better haze and an ability to burn things to make up for its semi low defence. Yes almost everything else got it, but milotic as always has hypnosis recover and marvel scale right there to show the other bulky waters. I guess it has haze, but the only reason to run that is to remove the boosts first. Its probably not moving up a tier, but it is not leaving uu.
I don't think anyone was saying she was so bad that she would get be in a lower spot than where she is now. I'm not happy with her stuck in UU and would have liked for her to have a strong showing in OU. But talking about tiers right now is absurd anyway.

Putting my weight in: I've always had the best use out of Milotic running the split defenses, so I second that stat distribution.

First of all, Dragon Tail is not a "better" Haze because it does not phaze through Substitutes. Nasty Plot Mismagius (w/out Thunderbolt) is a common Pokemon Milotic likes to Haze, but if it uses Dragon Tail instead Mismagius can set up a Substitute (or have one already up) and it doesn't need to worry.

I still have not seen any reason to think the 15 power lost on surf is significant enough not to take Boiling Water...

Also MoogleEnsign, Boiling Water's typeing and users are much better then Lava Plume's and Paralyze isn't the same as Burn so I don't think the comparision with other 30% moves is quite as strong.

First of all, Dragon Tail is not a "better" Haze because it does not phaze through Substitutes. Nasty Plot Mismagius (w/out Thunderbolt) is a common Pokemon Milotic likes to Haze, but if it uses Dragon Tail instead Mismagius can set up a Substitute (or have one already up) and it doesn't need to worry.
Haze for UU. Dragon Tail for OU. :)

And thankfully with Milotics 100 base Sp Atk and Stab on boiling water it is more than enough to break a sub and then tail Mismagius away. Might put a dent in Milotic, but then you just rest up.

What will milotic do about butterfly dancers though? That move is just pure scary and milotic can't do dit to most of the users. If anything butterfly dance is a slap to the face for milotic.

What will milotic do about butterfly dancers though? That move is just pure scary and milotic can't do dit to most of the users. If anything butterfly dance is a slap to the face for milotic. Luckily, if swim goggles increase acurracy enough, we might see rain dance sets. (bulky sweeping, and an accurate hypnosis/hydro pump is just scary). I wouldn't be surprised if that got milotic an out (bl status). Of course swim goggles will have to be a great item for that to apply, but at first glance it is scary
Swimming goggles don't exist.

Also I doubt Butterfly Dance is really going to effect her (no more then any other poke anyway). Not only can she just send them away (Dragon Tail) but she can also hit most users for SE (via Surf or Boiling Water and Ice Beam). She also has the option of Haze and Hypnotize, all of which ruin Dancers.

Butterfly Dance will be seen on Urgamoth, that is all. I don't think anyone expects Beautifly or such to be OU or even UU anytime soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)