Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Oh okay.. another quick question. OP says the initial page of the journal doesn't advance the RNG even if it has the defeated/captured xx message. So let's say page 1 says "captured azelf". I go to page 2 where it says "captured roselia" (where it will advance the rng by 2). From here, if I go back to page 1, will it advance the RNG?

Also, does the number of those messages matter? it if has "Defeated xxx" and "captured xxx" on the same page, it that still 2 rng advancements or 4?

Sephirona

t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Oh okay.. another quick question. OP says the initial page of the journal doesn't advance the RNG even if it has the defeated/captured xx message. So let's say page 1 says "captured azelf". I go to page 2 where it says "captured roselia" (where it will advance the rng by 2). From here, if I go back to page 1, will it advance the RNG?

Also, does the number of those messages matter? it if has "Defeated xxx" and "captured xxx" on the same page, it that still 2 rng advancements or 4?
If the inital page has a caught or defeated on it, it actually does advance the RNG :0 But for breeding, they tell you it doesn't because it should already be incorporated since it will always be there. But yes, if you go back to page one, it will advance the RNG by another 2.

So say you're on frame 2 before opening the journal, and you open the journal and it has a caught/defeated on the first page; you're on frame 4 now. Flip to page two with caught/defeated on it and it's frame 6 - flip back to page one and it's frame 8.

edit: Here's the text:

Code:
Opening the Journal, or having it automatically open, when there is a caught or defeated Pokémon on the first page will advance the RNG by 2 seeds. There are a number of formats for the caught Pokémon text. Those listed below have been verified to advance the RNG.

- Opening the Journal, or having it automatically open, when there is a caught or defeated Pokémon on the first page will advance the RNG by 2 seeds
I'm sorry, I guess I was skimming through, and assumed you were going to say "it will not advance the RNG", >_<. It sounded like you were going to say it wasn't going to advance the RNG. Anyways, that's under the "EVERYWHERE ELSE", so how about in grass/cave/water where there are pokemon?

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I'm sorry, I guess I was skimming through, and assumed you were going to say "it will not advance the RNG", >_<. It sounded like you were going to say it wasn't going to advance the RNG. Anyways, that's under the "EVERYWHERE ELSE", so how about in grass/cave/water where there are pokemon?
I did use the journal in Uxie's cave successfully, so I'm hoping Uxie's cave is considered a cave too. D:

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I don't know what you mean by this statement. It still starts at frame 1. So if you think its frame 2, i think you will be disappointed.
I meant that the journal advanced the same 2 frames per flip in Uxie's cave for me as is it does elsewhere (outside of grass and water, in front of the Day Care man). In response to klock's inquiry about Journals affecting the RNG "everywhere else."
I've caught my shiny bold Uxie already. *_*

Oh, I see that cleared up some confusion.. so journals consistently advance the RNG by 2 anywhere?
Yeah, that's been known for awhile. I thought she was changing his starting frame because she said something about it being a cave, but she knows what she's doing.

As I was typing that, I thought you might be a girl.

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Yeah, that's been known for awhile. I thought he was changing his starting frame because he said something about it being a cave, but he knows what he's doing.
She* (:

You can use the journal for IV breeding too to advance your frames, for future reference, klock :D

Oh, nice now I can go for higher frames if I can't find a spread in the lower ones... thanks! xD. One question though... I just asked this question in the last page, but does using Repel affect this in anyway (to avoid unnecessary battles that might mess up my frames)? I think I'll try walking to advance the RNG while using Repel.

klock said:
I'm going for a spread that's on offset 83. Since the pokemon I'm trying to catch comes out in a cave, it starts on frame 2 (since I'll use Sweet Scent). I have a Mesprit running around, so it'll be frame 3. Any corrections would be appreciated if I'm understanding something wrong. So total RNG advancements I would have to make it 80, and using the formula it'll be 40 journal flips. But since it says straight walking will advance the RNG by 1 seed per step, can I just walk 80 steps instead of doing 40 journal taps?

For the frame calibration stage of breeding perfect pokemon, is there supposed to be a caught pokemon on the page of the journal it automatically opens?

So if there is no NPC around and only you in the cave, walking could be easier?
Lets say you run from side A to B, and its 10 steps. 11 with the turn so every run besides the first to the other side is 11. So you start at 10, then count how many times you run to the other side *11. It could be faster, since I think you can use your bike.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh, I see that cleared up some confusion.. so journals consistently advance the RNG by 2 anywhere?
I removed the "ELSE".

Repel still allows walking to advance the frames, while not battling I believe. Walking is inferior to flipping pages in most areas because of NPCs limiting locations you can go and you have to keep track of every turn and step.
Not sure about this. I know it's been looked at, but I did not take good notes on this one. I seem to remember repel stopped RNG advances, though.

For the frame calibration stage of breeding perfect pokemon, is there supposed to be a caught pokemon on the page of the journal it automatically opens?
It does not matter.

My bad, I think it was me who tested it too. I think you asked me to test it to see if we could advance the frames that way instead. Sorry for any confusion caused.

I found the seed F3020260, to catch a Modest Method J pokemon in a cave (frame is 43). What I don't get here is, how do I check the coin flips? There's a way to check the coin flips for Breeding methods, but I don't know where for Captures.

edit: another question, >_< so if I walk around without repel, and encounter a battle, how will it affect the frames?

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
I found the seed F3020260, to catch a Modest Method J pokemon in a cave (frame is 43). What I don't get here is, how do I check the coin flips? There's a way to check the coin flips for Breeding methods, but I don't know where for Captures.

edit: another question, >_< so if I walk around without repel, and encounter a battle, how will it affect the frames?
Take that initial seed, plug it into the RNG Reporter, and switch to "DPPt Egg (Normal)" (don't click the shiny box) to generate. There should be a column with either heads or tails in each row. Go down that column and flip the coin - if 10 or more flips match, you probably have the right delay :0

-edit-

A question about steps:

If, say, I were to hypothetically target a frame of 600, and my Target Pokemon's frame is 1, I'd have to walk 128 steps with an odd number of Pokemon in my party to advance the RNG by 5. But I would have to subtract 128 from 600 as well, right? :0 Then I'd subtract 5 from that number and divide by two for my Journal Flips?
Just wondering. Haven't tried walking yet. ;x

For the random battle thing, what you do is in method J, look next to the frame the pokemon is. That is the method 1 frame. Take that number +7 to get the frame the next pokemon will be on. For in caves, it is +8. So you find a pokemon that is, for example, is 18 but the method 1 is 43. The next pokemon by sweet scent would be 51. I don't know how it advances without SS but just walking, but I would assume it would be just 5/6. SS gets frame 2, that's where I got my numbers, 7/8-2. You or someone else, or me, should test this but it shouldn't be done, where flipping pages is much more reliable.

Seph - If you're talking about pokemon in grass, what you do is save in grass. If frame is 101, you -2 for SS, for 99. Then to get it to even, you just turn in grass once or walk forward whichever way your character is facing. Then you do the flips.

sephirona @ It only says either Heads or Tails under the Coin, it doesn't list all 10 combinations, >_<
lightningfusion @ oh alright, I guess I'll just stick with the journal flips :P

Oh... so is there any way to see what delay you hit if you didn't succeed? Or there's no way to confirm since it shows the combination for the correct delay only? Say you failed, how would you check which second/delay you hit?

Oh... so is there any way to see what delay you hit if you didn't succeed? Or there's no way to confirm since it shows the combination for the correct delay only? Say you failed, how would you check which second/delay you hit?
If you hit you're delay, you will get the right coin flips, if you don't, you will get incorrect coin flips. You do the same thing for the wrong delays sorta. Just get the seed for the delays that are close to yours, +-2,4,6 away from your delay, since most only get even or odd delay.

Sephirona

is a Top Artist Alumnus
Seph - If you're talking about pokemon in grass, what you do is save in grass. If frame is 101, you -2 for SS, for 99. Then to get it to even, you just turn in grass once or walk forward whichever way your character is facing. Then you do the flips.
Ah, yesh. :> Alright, thanks.
In caves, it's different, I presume?
If I wanted to catch a Gastly, is that mansion considered a cave?
And does SSing in water advance more than 2? Was it three?

lmao at my questions DX

You can try to catch that Legend and find its initial seed just like you would a Magikarp :0 Then you can tell how far you're off.

in the OP, it says that Sweet Scent will advance the RNG by 7 in caves. I just caught my first RNG-abused pokemon, so bear with me if I'm understanding something wrong.. I caught an Unown, which was in a cave (frame 2) and I have a Mesprit running around (that's a +1 frame), so if I catch an Unown, it would be at Frame 3. However, when I hit the right seconds, but wrong delays, I captured it to see where I landed. Since I used Sweet Scent to capture that Unown, I expected it to be at Frame 10.. but strangely it was on Frame 3. When I hit the right delays, I went for my offset of 43, and only did 20 flips to get there (after 20 flips, I Sweet Scented). Shouldn't Sweet Scent advance it by 7?

By the way, thanks for making my first RNG-capture possible, :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 18)