SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

HA! Score one for my team!

For AZ, I pronounce it like "as," even though I know they were trying to be clever and go for "alpha-omega" or something else completely stupid. Although I find "Ay-zee" like in "daisy" to be another good one, because I just imagine him as a hobo Fonzie from Happy Days.
And If you're British, you say 'Ay-Zed'

No, I say 'aas'

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Pokemon has officially released a science book. "Imaginary science of Pokemon"
as a collaboration with Over Lap which releases other science books.
http://over-lap.co.jp/pokeku/

The book answers questions such as
"How much power exactly does Pikachu release when it uses Thunderbolt?"
"Rayquaza eats meteors, what energy does it obtain?"
"Round the Earth in 16 hours! Dragonite's flying ability is amazing!"
"Gardevoir can make black holes. Is this really ok in real life?"

and much more.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokemon has officially released a science book. "Imaginary science of Pokemon"
as a collaboration with Over Lap which releases other science books.
http://over-lap.co.jp/pokeku/

The book answers questions such as
"How much power exactly does Pikachu release when it uses Thunderbolt?"
"Rayquaza eats meteors, what energy does it obtain?"
"Round the Earth in 16 hours! Dragonite's flying ability is amazing!"
"Gardevoir can make black holes. Is this really ok in real life?"

and much more.
1. Well considering the Japanese name for Thunderbolt is "100,000 Volts"...
2. In real life? Well if it just landed it'll be radioactive and hot, but that's about it. If it's like the stone we gave it in ORAS than all it'll be doing is eating a chunk of metal and stone.
3. Assuming Pokemon's Earth is the same size as our Earth, our Earth's circumference is 24,901 miles/40,074 kilometers (all of this is rounded, BTW). That divided by 16 is 1,556 miles/2,505 kilometers per hour. There's 60 minutes in an hour so that's 26 miles/42 kilometers per minute. 26 miles/42 kilometers is 132,000 feet/42,000 meters. There's 60 seconds in a minute so that's 2,200 feet/700 meters per second. Of course that's assuming Dragonite doesn't start out "slow" (relatively) and get faster and faster as it flies. But still.
4. No. First off it'll probably suck up all the atmosphere on Earth thus making it inhabitable (thank you Portal 2 for that scientific fact). Also a black hole that's a size of a coin has the same mass as the Earth, so it would be tearing the planet itself apart from its gravitational pull (and before then probably throw Earth off its axis and maybe even orbit). Oh, and all of this would be done in minutes.

1. Well considering the Japanese name for Thunderbolt is "100,000 Volts"...
2. In real life? Well if it just landed it'll be radioactive and hot, but that's about it. If it's like the stone we gave it in ORAS than all it'll be doing is eating a chunk of metal and stone.
3. Assuming Pokemon's Earth is the same size as our Earth, our Earth's circumference is 24,901 miles/40,074 kilometers (all of this is rounded, BTW). That divided by 16 is 1,556 miles/2,505 kilometers per hour. There's 60 minutes in an hour so that's 26 miles/42 kilometers per minute. 26 miles/42 kilometers is 132,000 feet/42,000 meters. There's 60 seconds in a minute so that's 2,200 feet/700 meters per second. Of course that's assuming Dragonite doesn't start out "slow" (relatively) and get faster and faster as it flies. But still.
4. No. First off it'll probably suck up all the atmosphere on Earth thus making it inhabitable (thank you Portal 2 for that scientific fact). Also a black hole that's a size of a coin has the same mass as the Earth, so it would be tearing the planet itself apart from its gravitational pull (and before then probably throw Earth off its axis and maybe even orbit). Oh, and all of this would be done in minutes.
1.) Power is equal to volts times current. So we know the volts, but we don't know the current. (At least not unless you go back to what I said a while ago where this one American anime exclusive preview video says Pikachu is a constant current source of 1000 Amps. So that would give Pikachu a power of about 100 MW.

Well Raichu is said to give off a shock strong enough to knock out an Indian Elephant. So does anyone know how much that is. :P
Actually much less than a Thunderbolt. I'm pretty certain that part of Raichu's PokeDex entry is based off of Electrocuting an Elephant. Edison, in his fights with Tesla over adopting Edison's DC power over Tesla's AC power, electrocuted an elephant with 6,600 volts of AC power to prove how "dangerous" AC power was and thus say his DC power was safer (in fact DC is worse since AC usually has a jolt that tosses you back versus DC where you typically hold on to a wire if you were to grab it).

It doesn't say what the current is but we can assume that if it's 6,600 volts going through the elephant we just need to, instead find the resistance of an elephant. I can't find that for some reason though. But if we were power is also P = V^2/R.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually much less than a Thunderbolt. I'm pretty certain that part of Raichu's PokeDex entry is based off of Electrocuting an Elephant. Edison, in his fights with Tesla over adopting Edison's DC power over Tesla's AC power, electrocuted an elephant with 6,600 volts of AC power to prove how "dangerous" AC power was and thus say his DC power was safer (in fact DC is worse since AC usually has a jolt that tosses you back versus DC where you typically hold on to a wire if you were to grab it).

It doesn't say what the current is but we can assume that if it's 6,600 volts going through the elephant we just need to, instead find the resistance of an elephant. I can't find that for some reason though. But if we were power is also P = V^2/R.

Well Raichu is said to give off a shock strong enough to knock out an Indian Elephant. So does anyone know how much that is. :P

But in the pokemon world, elephants are the ground type! This means they cannot be affected by electric type moves!

image.jpg

The Edison Company created the film, not Thomas Edison.
The experiment is believed to have been carried out by Edwin S. Porter and Jacob Blair Smith. It also had nothing to do with the "Current Wars" of Edison vs. Tesla, since those occurred 10 years prior. Instead they were just hired to make a spectacle out of a circus elephant's execution. Topsy the elephant had killed a man (that put his lit cigar on her trunk), and they were going to suffocate it via hanging (how I can only imagine) and then charge admission to watch. But the ASPCA stepped in and found that electrocution was more humane (in addition to poisoning her in case it failed), the Edison Company was just hired to preform it. They still let people watch, albeit invite only.

This is the first recorded death on film, ever.

...sweet jeebus people were jerks in 1903.

Okay I'm going to stop this conversation track right here before this descends into a debate about carnivore ethics and an elephant that was suffocated, poisoned, and then electrocuted. No more, you got that?

And speaking of banned topics, there is quite the strange list of banned pokemon. And I'm not talking about the metagame either, but the pokemon anime and Gamefreak sanctioned marketing. Here's a few of them, with some that may surprise you (or not):

upload_2016-2-21_9-54-11.png

1. Porygon. Yeah, who didn't see this coming. Porygon and it's evolution line have been banned from anime and marketing appearances since the infamous seizure episode (somewhat unfairly, since Pikachu actually caused the epilepsy effect). Since then it only appears in the most obscure of group-shots (like before a Pokemon movie starts, those little intros) or all-inclusive things like the Pokerap.

2. Kadabra. Due to a lawsuit by Uri Geller (that failed), Kadabra has pulled a Houdini from about all media. You see, his Japanese name Yungerer is a not so subtle corruption of the spoon-bending street performer's name, Uri Geller. And unlike Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee (which are named after other martial artists and boxers depending on the country), he didn't appreciate it very much. While the lawsuit failed, it still caused the line to be pulled not only from the anime but also the card game for a very long time to avoid repeat controversy. Since then they seemed to have found a work-around in that Abra and Alakazam especially can do whatever they want, it's just Kadabra that must disappear (although all of them returned to the card game recentlyEdit*Nope, just Alakazam is returning. Abra made an before appearance too, and both cards have effects that allow them to skip Kadabra).

3. Not Slaking, but the move: Earthquake. The move has been banned from the anime twice, first a Wishcash episode in Hoenn was pulled for featuring the move and then after the B/W anime Team Plasma debacle the move has been banned from appearances. Both times for the same reason, recent earthquakes in Japan (of unfortunately increasing devastation). Seems like this one will be gone for a long time.

Last edited:
Okay I'm going to stop this conversation track right here before this descends into a debate about carnivore ethics and an elephant that was suffocated, poisoned, and then electrocuted. No more, you got that?

2. Kadabra. Due to a lawsuit by Uri Geller (that failed), Kadabra has pulled a Houdini from about all media. You see, his Japanese name Yungerer is a not so subtle corruption of the spoon-bending street performer's name, Uri Geller. And unlike Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee (which are named after other martial artists and boxers depending on the country), he didn't appreciate it very much. While the lawsuit failed, it still caused the line to be pulled not only from the anime but also the card game for a very long time to avoid repeat controversy. Since then they seemed to have found a work-around in that Abra and Alakazam especially can do whatever they want, it's just Kadabra that must disappear (although all of them returned to the card game recently).
When did Kadabra get released again in the TCG? It hasn't shown up in the US sets yet and the next set in Japan doesn't have a complete known set list. If you are basing this off of Alakazam being in the next set, well, it is a ex with mega card so Kadabra is not needed at all in the set (Abra is also not needed).

Nope. Kadabra wasn't around in the TCG since like pre-RS. IN FACT, in Diamond and Pearl era (when Alakazam last showed up), the Abra card released had an attack called "Ultra Evolution" that allowed Abra to evolve all the way to Alakazam in order to avoid releasing a Kadabra card:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
View attachment 57483
1. Porygon. Yeah, who didn't see this coming. Porygon and it's evolution line have been banned from anime and marketing appearances since the infamous seizure episode (somewhat unfairly, since Pikachu actually caused the epilepsy effect). Since then it only appears in the most obscure of group-shots (like before a Pokemon movie starts, those little intros) or all-inclusive things like the Pokerap.
FUN FACT: Porygon2 is the only Pokemon without an "anime voice". Porygon-Z got a (rather creept) anime voice in PokePark. However Porygon2 has yet to receive one though it had a chance to when it appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee though they had it keep silent where as other Pokemon had an "anime voice".

3. Not Slaking, but the move: Earthquake. The move has been banned from the anime twice, first a Wishcash episode in Hoenn was pulled for featuring the move and then after the B/W anime Team Plasma debacle the move has been banned from appearances. Both times for the same reason, recent earthquakes in Japan (of unfortunately increasing devastation). Seems like this one will be gone for a long time.
Not only Earthquake, Magnitude and Fissure also were officially banned. One must wonder if Earth Power too is also banned or if they'll just have it activate in a different way if they ever decide to use it again (last time it was used it was in Gen IV so it was after the initial earthquake ban, but since the second one it hasn't. Earth Power's animation is (gold and glowing) cracks spreading across the ground so it is earthquake-like).

When did Kadabra get released again in the TCG? It hasn't shown up in the US sets yet and the next set in Japan doesn't have a complete known set list. If you are basing this off of Alakazam being in the next set, well, it is a ex with mega card so Kadabra is not needed at all in the set (Abra is also not needed).
Well, you're right. I went back and found the source and it was indeed saying that Alakazam was coming back (I thought it meant the entire line, it was worded weirdly), not Kadabra. Kadabra is still banned. Thanks for the fact check.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why can't you ride a bike indoors?

I'm relatively sure the game's respective professors are powerful psychics who are subtly influencing your actions to further some larger goal (what, I'm not sure).

Why else would there be so many arbitrary can't's in the Pokemon world?
smashing tiny pebbles, cutting small shrubs, razing entire forests, attacking trainers...for some reason we're just not allowed!

This taking away of certain options only in certain scenarios, as well as the fail messages usual appeals to our moral compasses, convinces me of this fact.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Why can't you ride a bike indoors?

I'm relatively sure the game's respective professors are powerful psychics who are subtly influencing your actions to further some larger goal (what, I'm not sure).

Why else would there be so many arbitrary can't's in the Pokemon world?
smashing tiny pebbles, cutting small shrubs, razing entire forests, attacking trainers...for some reason we're just not allowed!

This taking away of certain options only in certain scenarios, as well as the fail messages usual appeals to our moral compasses, convinces me of this fact.
Well razing entire forests and attacking trainers can't be done because of your own morals (in real life you would burn down a forest or attack someone just cause? Also would you want to be attacked yourself? Reason you can't just knock out a member of a villain organization is because they can just easily do it to you, and once all of one group's Pokemon are knocked out they should now better and get out of your way (which is why that one Flare grunt in the Power Plant blocking the shorter path is BS. I can't remember if you battle him or not, but in the end I have the stronger Pokemon which means you get out of my way)).

That said it still makes no sense why you can't use your Pokemon to help through obstacles that wouldn't be against any morality. As you said, who cares if I use the move Cut to remove a tree or Rock Smash to destroy a rock, I'm getting rid of it anyway so why can't my Pokemon use any attack that would get rid of it or go around it? If my Pokemon knows Fly why can't I leap ledges or take me to anywhere in an open place if I'm having trouble reaching it normally? (Especially notable in XY's Power Plant and PokeBall Factory. It was a wide open space, why couldn't you fly to where the scientists were? And yes you had HM02 by then and were able to use it).

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
that's exactly why I am convinced it is due to the subtle influence of your psychic professors -- the only time you can directly sense their mental pushing is when they tell you not to ride bikes and stuff, because it is in those moments that they need to give the strongest psychic force to make you not just get our your damn bike

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
that's exactly why I am convinced it is due to the subtle influence of your psychic professors -- the only time you can directly sense their mental pushing is when they tell you not to ride bikes and stuff, because it is in those moments that they need to give the strongest psychic force to make you not just get our your damn bike
Well riding your bike indoors is probably because of decency, if the psychic Professor (which doesn't apply in Hoenn as its your father's words and in Kalos it's your mother's words) didn't remind you than surely the people in the building would go "Hey! Get off the bike! You're going to make a mess.".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 3)