Netbattle just got DPgraded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
you missed off quite alot of pokemon, like salamence, latios, jirachi and more i think =/
You're right, the guy in charge of compiling all the lists together forgot to add the whole RSE generation, so here is the complete one.Sorry for that.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jytkxiz2zwj/KJHS%20Platinum%20DB.txt

Edit: so we found out there's a freakin' text limit on DataBase Modification, and we're gonna try shortening the list to OU/BL/UU or anything that wouldn't be used on something.

Edit 2:

Soz, here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iqdwkjgmmyz/text limit.txt

You can trim yourself the full plat DB to see what fits you, though, but this is anything not uber and a bunch of Stage 1/2 pokemon.

This may be boring, well it is, but i do have a point at the end if you want to read it:

Well, i just started using Shoddy over Netbattle less than a Month Before the UUBL test. So i have used Netbattle ALOT.

Netbattle was RSE, which was my favorite Generation because i had the knowledge and the tiers seemed Balanced. I didnt like Shoddy because i couldnt play RSE.

People used fucked up tiers on Netbattle, but i kept playing with the more Balanced Smogon Tiers as much as i could (Hariyama isnt fucking UU. Jesus.).

The more teams i made, and more RMTs i posted (like 14 in 3 months...) the more i realized, no one plays this god damn game.

I looked into the history of Netbattle by asking people and reading stuff, and found out that Smogon used to be on Netbattle, but moved to Shoddy.

Shoddy turned out to be very awesome once i got the hang of the DP Metagame with the Physical Crunches, Waterfalls etc. I learned also that a UU test would be taking place soon. It intrigued me to continue with Shoddy and well, here i am. I adapted to the Metagame before the UU test, and was 10th on the Leaderboard within two weeks. During the test i got to 6th (only non-stall/Hail team in top 10) on the leaderboard. Its not hard to adjust to metagames, in fact it was easier than i thought.

The thing that scared the remaining Netbattle Players was the Stuff in DP. People were too lazy or frusterated because there was too much Stuff, being the Berrys, Life Orb, Focus Sash and new Pokemon, Moves and Physical and Special Attacks changed.

Smogons leaderboard and staff were the main thing that sealed the deal. The mods on netbattle were God damn 13 year old kids who liked to ban when they lose and dont know much about...anything. There were people who Spam and Troll all day on Netbattle and it made it not worth it sometimes. Especially Brazilian spammers yelling BATALHAR BATALHAR. The Leaderboard makes sure the tiers are Balanced, and you arent using a UU team with some dumbass with the name UBERKILLERPWNER challenging you with Ubers. It also adds some competitiveness to the game.

Smogon Mods and Admins are alot better at keeping the server under control. They ban spammers and people who are just retarded and dont know it. They dont BAN you because they are losing, in fact some might say they are HELPFUL. Its crazy to think of a Helpful mod on Netbattle. So thank you smogon for this.

My thoughts were very disorganized i appologize, but my main point is: Smogon is the reason people use shoddy. Smogon goes to Netbattle, people will go to netbattle. Smogon adds a somewhat official aspect to the game, and Netbattle seriously lacks that without smogon. I think the real debate is Smogon vs Netbattle. Once the bugs are fixed in Netbattle, it may be a better system, but without the CAP, LC, LAdders, Mods, Admins and etc from Smogon, it wont be as used or as good.

That being said, i will still use both sims because i still love the Adv Gen and play it as much as i can.

Thank you for reading :D.

If Smogon jumped off a bridge would you do the same?

I'm not saying Smogon is shit or anything, but Official used to have just as much people as the Smogon server does.

It's just, people wanted to change from Official and went to Smogon.

Shoddy was surely used a lot when Smogon didn't create a Server 7 months back.

I'm not saying Smogon is shit or anything, but Official used to have just as much people as the Smogon server does.

It's just, people wanted to change from Official and went to Smogon.

Shoddy was surely used a lot when Smogon didn't create a Server 7 months back.
Because Smogon supported shoddy and people were fine with the decisions made on Official server, which is why Smogon made no server for a while. When we wanted to start our own suspect testing because we were unhappy with the decisions on Official, we made our server because it would be easier for us to manage it

I thought I'd try NetBattle, but the installer doesn't work. I get the standard message, something like "a fault in the program so it had to be aborted, send rapport Y/N".

Can anyone help me here? In simple, completely void of computer-terms, language.

Within 24 hours of launching Smogon University, it surpassed Official by far.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Only because the legion of people colin banned for 1000+ years had a new home at that very instant.
No, the CaP server was around as an alternitive for quite a while before SU went up. We did get quite a few people because they were banned from Official (I remember someone commenting that we had become a leper colony for the banned.), but as soon as Smogon went up they went there. But there was not anywhere near enough people to acount for even a small protion of the Smogn regulars.

Also I don't know if its even possible to ban for that long.

I think I have told him that his server would be as empty as the area between his legs after Deoxys-E, I was wrong for a while, but guess what happen to official and Deoxys-E after people have some common sense?

I must be a prophet...

So what bugs are still around now, or has it all/most been patched up?

No, the CaP server was around as an alternitive for quite a while before SU went up. We did get quite a few people because they were banned from Official (I remember someone commenting that we had become a leper colony for the banned.), but as soon as Smogon went up they went there. But there was not anywhere near enough people to acount for even a small protion of the Smogn regulars.

Also I don't know if its even possible to ban for that long.
the max ban length is 2^63 - 1 milliseconds by the way

How does that apply here. If smogon did absolutely retarded things, "jumping off a bridge", then no, people would go do their own thing. Smogon has the "official" aspect to it, they DONT do stupid things (usually). Well not enough to make people leave, clearly.

The Official Server/Netbattle Population has been shit. People dont/didnt use it because, well, its just not like Smogon. E.g. idiots are given mod and half assed tiering system among other things (on Netbattle).

I still think the debate is more Smogon vs Netbattle, not about which sim is better.

LOL i'm agreeing here, when my brother introduced me to Doug's Server, I was amazed by the huge amount of people that said they were "banned from Official and wanted help"; so they used Smogon as their alternative option.

Eric you can ban for over 278,000 years I think...

Also I know that RBG; "you" made your own Server because Smogon made Wobba OU and other stuff. Additionally, you wanted to test yourself...I know LOL...

Mekkah IIRC Smogon had like 200 Members when it was launched for one day; while Official once had 300 IIRC.

But one time Smogon had 350 poeple, so I guess that's argueable. I think that has to do with the fact that this site has over 20,000 members; and over 1000 are active and visit the Server.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mekkah IIRC Smogon had like 200 Members when it was launched for one day; while Official once had 300 IIRC.
That was 200 members before the server was listed in the registry. Official almost never got to 300 (I don't even remember it being above 210), but comparing _day 1_ smogon member count to an all time high is kinda :/

I've just done a Spyware Terminator+ClamAV scan on NBSInstall.exe after seeing that when I've even just right clicked on the file, Spyware Terminator has instantly given me a "NBSInstall.exe has tried activating itself and has been blocked" message or something similar. And I got these results returned after doing a scan:

Threat Files
<Dropper-6897> [Bayleef00] : NBSInstall.exe
<Trojan.Dropper-6897> [Bayleef00] : NBSInstall.exe

Removed them, which resulted in the whole file getting removed.

I'd like to get confirmation on whether it is actually a Trojan or what is it if not? Other people didn't seem to find anything by doing scans with malwarebytes for example.
This needs more attention.

I was just informed today that this thread was unlocked, I assumed this would stay locked once tangerine locked it.

I didn't use Shoddybattle until it had an acceptably low level of bugs, so don't try to call me out on hypocrisy.
That is not what I remember, but I'm not going to argue with your life that you know infinitely more than I do about it |:

Yes, NB does have some parts that are superior to NB
I think you mean NB does have some parts that are superior or SB or vise versa, just might want to change that for future thread-readers.

[/quote=WhiteBase]Boohoo go play PBR/Wifi, use level balance, or set your poke levels to level 50 and ask your friends to do the same.
If this is your attitude, why have a Pokemon simulator at all?[/quote]

Why do people complain with what they are given? (Granted this might seem hypocritical since I (and many others) complained about shoddy when that's all we had for a DP sim)

The point of a Pokemon simulator is to accurately simulate battles. It is impossible to legally acquire such an unbreedable, and as such, the Pokemon should not be allowed.
If this is the arguement, then there should barely be any 31 IV all pokemon, like barely any at all.

WhiteBase said:
I'm pretty sure noone complained when netbattle was around for years about having to click a button to go to the EV/iv page
I'm pretty sure I did. That was one of the first things I brought up whenever anyone mentioned programming a new simulator.
Ok

WhiteBase said:
And look what happened to netbattle every time the source was leaked.
That's what's known as "security through obscurity".
I'm very well aware what security through obscurity means.

The point is that with a closed-source program, there is no way for us to know this.
Maybe I should have mentioned this in my first post, to stop alot of the "open vs closed source", but the 9.6 source was made public a few months ago. Granted for now the new source is closed (for now maybe), the old one is public.

WhiteBase said:
All exploits known and unknown are fixed.
Ok I realized I made a big ass of myself when I said "unknown". Idk Why I even said "unknown".

It is impossible to block a DDoS attack in this case. You can protect against simple attacks, or you can have more bandwidth than they do, but you cannot block a DDoS attack while still remaining open to legitimate traffic (if you have to refuse all incoming connections to stop the attack, then they have succeeding in denying service to people, which is what DoS stands for: Denial of Service).
It is never impossible to stop a [D]DoS attack.

First off if you have the IP Firewall blocked, gg the [D]DoS stops.

Second the new netbattle has a built in firewall, so I've heard, but I have yet to see it//have not seen it.

And if you block packet flow from 1 IP address, then you aren't denying other people's service.

You can change as much as want, limited only by your knowledge of Java. That's the whole point of "free and open source software".
I meant mostly client wise.

False. I played NB and I prefer Shoddy. I most definitely did play ADV competitively.
Ok

My biggest complaint with Shoddy is probably that I don't like Java.
Ok

Smogon and Official Server have illegal move combinations coded in.
Ok I assumed since a while ago this was a tournament rule, so nevermind.

I'd prefer no calculator built in to an inaccurate calculator built in because it doesn't give false information, but rather, forces people to find another calculator (hopefully an accurate one).
In what way does it give false information?

I also noticed you said netbattle's damage was incorrect also, in what way?

The fact that they are complaining now would suggest that it's a feature people want.
Then instead of complaining they can ask bayleef to add it, or go pick up the 9.6 source and make something like it and send it to bayleef.

I question the morality of SID banning. What an SID ban requires is installing a unique identifier in the user's machine without their knowledge or consent. It also takes less time to run an SID changer than it does to change IP. Alternately, a smart user could run a program like Sandboxie to basically completely bypass the SID.
It takes more knowledge/research to find out how to change your SID.

Also running a proxy does not take more time then changing your SID.

You seem to think that people on NB would automatically join a modified server? No matter what program you're using, you have to "hope people join your server" to get people to see your modifications.
One of the points I was making when I was talking about a shoddy modded server, but you took my quote wrong.

I was saying you can modify servers in simpler ways than knowing java6 and hardcoding new methods for people to use and etc, not saying it will immediately attract a ton of people (unless you have a feature others lack, like a tournament script or a ladder script.)

for all people dissing nb for find tab, people can code in their servers a list of all users willing to play.its easy. join it by typing /play. view list by typing /battleusers or something. chall those ppl only. can be even separated into tiers.
yes one of my points exactly.

I've just done a Spyware Terminator+ClamAV scan on NBSInstall.exe after seeing that when I've even just right clicked on the file, Spyware Terminator has instantly given me a "NBSInstall.exe has tried activating itself and has been blocked" message or something similar. And I got these results returned after doing a scan:

Threat Files
<Dropper-6897> [Bayleef00] : NBSInstall.exe
<Trojan.Dropper-6897> [Bayleef00] : NBSInstall.exe

Removed them, which resulted in the whole file getting removed.

I'd like to get confirmation on whether it is actually a Trojan or what is it if not? Other people didn't seem to find anything by doing scans with malwarebytes for example.
netbattle uses a harmless rootkit for assigning people SIDs this might be what is causing this to squeal (falsely) foul play
AJC's post should clarify this, as that's the jist of it all.

The number of bugs on Shoddy is acceptably small so that it is usable. NetBattle... has many more. Also, with Shoddy you can fix any bug you find instantly while with NetBattle you have to hope the people with the source get to it.
Assuming the "anybody" knows java6 to "instantly" fix the bug.

I have a problem with NBS, if i want to start it i always get the message:

Run-time error "13" Type mismatch

Has anyone an idea how i can fix this?

thx
Try reinstalling it, or depending on your OS, get the right program to use it (WINE for linux, darwine//virtualPC for mac)

I've a question about both Shoddy/Netbattle.

Is there a way to make it so that when you're browsing your computer to load a team, it doesn't automatically go to My Documents? My teams aren't stored there, and it always takes a bit for me to get to my team files. This gets particularly annoying on Shoddy, since you have to search for the file every time you want to go to team builder and every time you make changes to a team, while Netbattle only prompts you when you're switching teams.
Netbattle (For me atleast), saves the last folder you saved a team (or loaded i don't remember).

Have any Linux users gotten this to run successfully in Wine? I can open the team builder and access the registry but I get a runtime error when I try to sign on to a server. Loading teams doesn't seem to work either.
I know someone who has, I can ask him how he did it and let you know.

The Official Server/Netbattle Population has been shit. People dont/didnt use it because, well, its just not like Smogon. E.g. idiots are given mod and half assed tiering system among other things (on Netbattle).

I still think the debate is more Smogon vs Netbattle, not about which sim is better.
I think you are making it Smogon vs Netbattle.

Also if you were in the "official server" (current one), the mods/admins never abuse, lol.

Also pardon the reg-down. Noone has been able to contact bayleef, there are still private servers up.

Mewshrinebackup.zapto.org is generally the one with a decent amount of people on, same with 90.199.236.44

I tryed putting Mewshrinebackup.zapto.org in
The advanced search just says connecting then says i got D/ced...

But 90.199.236.44 works

Why do people complain with what they are given? (Granted this might seem hypocritical since I (and many others) complained about shoddy when that's all we had for a DP sim)
Because maybe, just maybe, what they've been given sucks? I'm not trying to say NB sucks, since I've yet to have used it, but if the userbase of a product asks for/demands a new feature or upgrade, the producer doesn't go "BAWWWW, CRY ME A RIVER" because they will MOST DEFINITELY lose those customers or users unless it is the ONLY ONE of its kind. Guess what? NB is no longer the sole Pokemon sim, and the customers are a-clamoring...

If this is the arguement, then there should barely be any 31 IV all pokemon, like barely any at all.
No, there is a difference. All-31-IV legendaries are 100% impossible to obtain in-game without hacking, as well as several other IV combinations. However, it IS possible to get all-31-IV regular Pokemon, however small the chance is.

In what way does it give false information?

I also noticed you said netbattle's damage was incorrect also, in what way?
I don't remember who it was, but someone posted earlier in this topic stating that the damage calculator was off by a few percents. Again, I haven't used NB myself yet, so I can't say for myself whether this is true or not, but since Obi HAS used NB, I would assume he knows what he's talking about.

Then instead of complaining they can ask bayleef to add it, or go pick up the 9.6 source and make something like it and send it to bayleef.
For programmers: And then what? Sit on the asses twiddling their thumbs for a few weeks while they wait for their changes to be added/rejected? At least on shoddy they can make those changes and see the results INSTANTLY.

For non-programmers: I don't know what NB uses for these "client/server patches" people keep suggesting we use, but if it consists of typing up code (ANY kind of code), the average person will not bother because they will have zero programming experience and will have no idea what to do, and they won't bother learning an entirely new subject matter and an entire programming language just to turn their text green, let alone learn enough to do stuff like add Find/Ladder tabs and functionality.

Assuming the "anybody" knows java6 to "instantly" fix the bug.
Oh, looks like I didn't have to type up that second paragraph after all... You know, since NB uses code as well.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I heard that someone was working on implementing doubles for Shoddy, although I haven't heard of progress on that for some time.
I assume this refers to me. I am indeed working on my own Java-based simulator. I was at one time planning on making it a modification of Shoddy, but I've coded enough of my own from-scratch program that I'm abandoning the Shoddy mod.

The reason you haven't heard any progress is that I don't want to get anybody's hopes up. There's no guarantee I'll ever finish this thing. If any of you out there ever want to know whether I'm still working on the project, check Smogon's latest research thread. Every so often I post some incredibly nit-picky discovery I've made; stuff that you'll probably never encounter in a real battle. The reason I test these things is that I need to know how the code works for my simulator; I'm aiming for a 100% accurate recreation of the game mechanics.

Even with NetBattle's upgrade, I'm going to continue to work on it, since it sounds like NetBattle is really buggy (and, as a Mac user, I prefer a Java-based application).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)