New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread - BW UU Edition

THANK YOU FLAREBLITZ

I've been trying to get that set added to the Porygon-Z analysis. I think there are much better options than HP Fire though. I think something like Dark Pulse works much better, hitting ghosts for super-effective damage.

Also, why those EVs?

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
THANK YOU FLAREBLITZ

I've been trying to get that set added to the Porygon-Z analysis. I think there are much better options than HP Fire though. I think something like Dark Pulse works much better, hitting ghosts for super-effective damage.

Also, why those EVs?
Oh, I thought I already explained to EVs. Ooops.

The speed hits 263 Spe, which outruns all max speed neutral natured base 80s (mamoswine, gallade, kabutops). After an Agility, it's fast enough to outrun everything up to Scarf Espeon, which is the fastest scarfer you're likely to see. I didn't see the remaining speed as necessary, so I put the rest of the EVs into HP. It hits a life orb number and really aids your set up against weak walls (like Milotic).

I use HP Fire due to my specific team (I have huge issues with cobalion and escavalier) but yeah, like I said, Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse is a pretty good option.

FRAXURE???? are you kidding me? :-(
Jokes aside, Fraxure just lacks the immediate power of Zweilous. Right off the bat from CB Zweilous, you have over 660 Attack. How long does it take for Fraxure to get that high?
And anyway, people use Stone Edge despite it's low accuracy. Why? Because the raw power it provides is too valuable to pass up. Same thing applies here, you aren't hurting anything physically bulky with CB Fraxure's Outrage, whereas this thing OHKOes Blastoise and deals around 80% to Rhyperior.

Oh and yeah, people were calling Haxorus a pseudo legend before the game's release... and then they realised he sucks.
They both suck cause neither can take a hit or outspeed anything. There's a reason why no one used Rampardos, who's stronger than both of them, last gen.

Plus, Haxorus definitely does not suck.

Durant is not at all superior as a hustle user. Zweilous boasts Dragon Type STAB, which is unresisted bar Steels (who are rare in UU anyway). Plus, Zweilous has Fire Fang to hurt Steels. What does Durant have? Dig. Dig. Yeah, sure, i'll be using that.

Zweilous is usable even outside of Trick Room. He has enough bulk to survive certain hits like Espeon's HP Fighting, and can retaliate with Outrage. (He is better inside of TR, though)
First off, Zweilous can't beat any of the three most common steels with fire fang(registeel, empoleon, cobalion). Secondly, even if it could, you say steels are uncommon in UU so it's not much of a disadvantage for durant to not be able to defeat them and thirdly, zweilous will never get more than one kill in a match because outrage is basically its only move and will get revenged easily. Durant on the other hand is stronger and faster than zweilous with life orb and has the freedom to switch moves.

Support for Offense

Uxie @ Leftovers
252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpA Bold

Psychic
Stealth Rock
Heal Bell
Thunder Wave

I used this in gen 4 OU and UU to great effectiveness, and it's pretty good in gen 5 too. What sets this apart from your average Uxie is really the EV spread. Your special attack will be in the Milotic / Slowbro range, meaning that for once Uxie isn't complete setup fodder. This allows you to 3HKO average bulk pokemon (0 HP Kingdra with lefties for instance), 2HKO some frail pokemon (Medicham, for instance), and even OHKO some Poison or Fighting-types (like Qwilfish, or potentially Nidoking with SR). The defense is still enough to survive Adamant Scarf Heracross Megahorn, while the special defense is the same as any Uxie set.

This set is great for offensive teams because it provides a lot of support and defensive "glue" without sacrificing too much momentum. The combination of power, bulk, and status makes a lot of switches unsafe and allows you to prevent things with sub or moderate bulk from setting up in your face. Thus, during a match, you can expect this to be able to do at least two or more of the following:

Get Stealth Rock up
Paralyze, kill, or scare away something that keeps trying to revenge kill your sweepers
Take some heavy hits
Get a clutch Heal Bell off - if you're running offense just one will often suffice

The reaches a certain stat combo more efficiently than Mesprit - a Mesprit with around the same SpAtk and Def has considerably less SpDef and Spe.

The bigger competition for the set is Mew. However, a few things set this apart.

-Levitate
-better SpDef (in exchange for less Def. The Def discrepancy is slightly larger, though)
-Mew stands a decent chance of getting banned

I imagine the Mew equivalent would be pretty good, if not better than this. If you have Ground immunity well covered you'd probably want to go with that.

Managed to get upper reqs with a team heavily reliant on this set so.....its good right?

I dont think this is new/creative but Its certainly a handful
Mesprit @ Choice scarf
Levitate
EV's: 56HP/252SpA/200Speed
Timid (-Attack + Speed)
-Thunder Wave
-Stealth Rock
-Trick
-Psychic

Now I usually lead with this and depending on what my opponent sends out I adjust what I do. Usually I trick there spiker/rocker with a choice scarf and force a switch. Thunder wave whats incoming and set up my rocks, so in hindsight I have paralyzed one pokemon, something like donphan has a scarf and I have rocks up.
Sometimes I will just set up my rocks and go if there is a wall on the opposing side which I feel deserves a new fashion item, like chansey.
Or I will set up rocks and switch if they have a heracross on there team.

the EV's are simple. 200ev;s in speed hits 270 which outruns adamant heracross. if you suspect your opponents hera is scarfed, just bring this in a psychic for the KO, obviously dont switch it Directly in unless you can avoid the megahorn.

252 in special attack gives it some 'oomph' Koing lead 4hp/252attack/252speed crobat as well as outspeeding it
and the rest is placed in HP for general Bulk since 80/105/105 is cool.

It may seem outclassed by Uxie but mesprit has some offensive prowess which uxie lacks. Uxie cannot OHKO heracross with psychic, however mesprit can. Even after the trick has gone you can still do some decent damage with psychic.

If you dont really care about damage go for Uxie, since it pretty much outclasses this.

Aerodactyl@Leftovers
248 Hp/ 8 SpD/ 252 Spe
Jolly: Pressure
~Rock Slide
~Substitute
~Sky Drop
~Toxic/Roost

Greatly appreciates Toxic Spikes and/or Sand Storm.
Aerodactyl Outspeeds a majority of the UU metagame; so a ToxicDrop set is ideal, no? Using Substitute on the switch (hopefully keeping your Sub up) keeping you from losing your frail Aerodactyl. Next if the enemy is already Toxic'd proceed to use Sky drop, adding extra Toxic build up turns. If you have Toxic Spikes on your team, Roost is a great option over Toxic on Aerodactyl. 248 Hp evs make Aerodactyls Hp Stat able to set up 5 Subtistutes (Iirc? someone help me out with this part please?). Sandstorm is also wanted for this set. a good partner would be Eviolite Hippopotas.

Aerodactyl
@Leftovers
Jolly:Pressure
252 hp 252 Speed $ spdef
-rest
-sleeptalk
-whirlwind
-roar
This is double pseudo-haze aerodactyl. Basically set up entry hazards. Than sleeptalk and all of your minus one priority moves will go first. It is similar to the garyados/garchomp sleep talk rest and D-tail set but not only is your speed higher, you got two attacks to phaze out instead of one. Of course, every set has its counters. priority pwns it and so does taunt, if something is fast enough to taunt it. Another downfall is its unreliability. It may choose rest. Until gen 5 gives the sleep orb, the opponent will always have a 33% chance to damage it. One perk is that It resists status with rest.
Another EV spread with more bulk is also usable.
Edit: Also from UU, Mew and charizard are the next faster users of this combo but instead of speed, they get dragon tail instead of whirlwind.

Aerodactyl
@Leftovers
Jolly:Pressure
252 hp 252 Speed $ spdef
-rest
-sleeptalk
-whirlwind
-dragontail

This is double pseudo-haze aerodactyl. Basically set up entry hazards. Than sleeptalk and all of your minus one priority moves will go first. It is similar to the garyados/garchomp sleep talk rest and D-tail set but not only is your speed higher, you got two attacks to phaze out instead of one. Of course, every set has its counters. priority pwns it and so does taunt, if something is fast enough to taunt it. Another downfall is its unreliability. It may choose rest. Until gen 5 gives the sleep orb, the opponent will always have a 33% chance to damage it. One perk is that It resists status with rest.
Another EV spread with more bulk is also usable.
I like the idea of this. But Aerodactyl does not learn Dragon Tail. Which means its can only have one-third of a chance to pick Whirlwind.

Since everyone is posting aero sets, I might as well put one:

...Ancient Sweeper

Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
Ability: Rock Head
Evs: 8 Hp/ 248 Atk/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
~ Hone Claws
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Substitute/Double-Edge/Aqua Tail

Aerodactyl has always be the premier suicide lead, but his sweeping capabilities has always be overlooked thanks to it's awful defenses and no way to boost his Attack (and Stone Edge's acc doesn't help either), but this generation brough Hone Claws, a move that was perfectly designed to fit Aerodactyl, it increases it's already nice Attack, and patches the accuracy issues on it's most powerful move, the only downside is that it hasn't any option to use it's Flying type (give it brave bird already, please), but at least it manages to get a nice 100 acc EdgeQuake that almost nothing will outspeed (and the things that do outspeed are not really common anyway, the last move is optional, you can run aqua tail for the likes of Rhyperior, but Double Edge is mostly good enough if you want extra coverage, Substitute is great to get that free turn in stuff like statusers and be protected from revengers like mamo, setting up is kind of hard, but sometimes you'll find that subing in leech seed or WoW is awesome, getting that HC going and start sweeping while your oponents looks confused, you can even use it as a lead to trow some people off when you don't set up SR, FS is a nice item for that initial HC, but LO is preferable since even if you manage to get the +1 attack some pokes are to sturdy to fall to Aero (and almost any neutral attack will take a huge chunck of your health), still, is an interesting sweeper to use and a possible replacement of staraptor (more if this is banned), the Evs are fairly standar, with a little extra health to be able to put 4 subs of switch in 4 times

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
im sorry for this potentially useless post, but how is that a staraptor replacement? it doesn't even utilize a flying STAB, and instead uses quakeedge, coverage raptor doesn't have access to. with that logic, any physical sweeper is a staraptor replacement :s

High Attack, Almost Perfect coverage, Frail as a wet bag, very viable of causing switches, flying type (SR weak), with many possible sets, not saying is Raptor, but it can certainly do the job raptor's doing now (like a sub-sweeper, or a CB)

I will change dragontail to roar. minor difference
It is still a terrible moveset. First off; your horribly shutdown by taunt, and cant even harm any Pokemon unless Entry hazards are up. And like you mentioned you only have a 66% chance of phasing your opponent out, which leaves them an easy OHKO (see Aerodactyls Frail defenses).

sooooo, i didnt wanna post this as it seems fairly obvious, but whatev, i havnt seen it around, this is my ninetales i use on my ds

Ninetales @red card
Drought
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Calm Mind
Psyshock

252HP/4Def/252SpA bold

The general idea is to lead and set up a calm mind or two while they try to set up their team, does especially well against anti-leads utilizing fake-out or the like, as red card will bring out a random poke, and while this does leave potential to bring out a check or counter, ive swept more times than not, Fire Blast for strong STAB, Solar Beam for bulky waters who love switching on Ninetales, this set has trouble with Conkeldurr, Conkeldurr is a bitch who should have been banned, Psyshock doesnt really hurt it, so i think it could use some other move or just switch out, i dunno, thoughts?

sooooo, i didnt wanna post this as it seems fairly obvious, but whatev, i havnt seen it around, this is my ninetales i use on my ds

Ninetales @red card
Drought
Fire Blast
Solar Beam
Calm Mind
Psyshock

252HP/4Def/252SpA bold

The general idea is to lead and set up a calm mind or two while they try to set up their team, does especially well against anti-leads utilizing fake-out or the like, as red card will bring out a random poke, and while this does leave potential to bring out a check or counter, ive swept more times than not, Fire Blast for strong STAB, Solar Beam for bulky waters who love switching on Ninetales, this set has trouble with Conkeldurr, Conkeldurr is a bitch who should have been banned, Psyshock doesnt really hurt it, so i think it could use some other move or just switch out, i dunno, thoughts?
Sorry, but Drought is banned and Ninetales is OU (also, what if the opponent OHKOes you, ninetails is not really sturdy, even at max health, if politoed or tyranitar come on that solarbeam you're more than dead, you could use hypnosis if you want something for conkeldurr, still, you're walled by stuff like dragonite which will use you as a set-up bait)

Sorry, but Drought is banned and Ninetales is OU (also, what if the opponent OHKOes you, ninetails is not really sturdy, even at max health, if politoed or tyranitar come on that solarbeam you're more than dead, you could use hypnosis if you want something for conkeldurr, still, you're walled by stuff like dragonite which will use you as a set-up bait)
oh derp, i dont know why i thought this was an OU thread, yeah, it isnt perfect, but it does its job great when it is allowed to

Nidoking
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

This really has some excellent surprise value. Chansey comes in to wall you? you're immune to both status moves and can set spikes up with impunity, easily getting two layers up. nidoking also causes switches, allowing you many opportunities to set up.

Nidoking
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

This really has some excellent surprise value. Chansey comes in to wall you? you're immune to both status moves and can set spikes up with impunity, easily getting two layers up. nidoking also causes switches, allowing you many opportunities to set up.
this is basically the standard Toxic Spikes set... or rather, its the standard set with toxic spikes on it. I'm not sure why its not on the analysis here, but its really not what i'd call "creative"

This is one I use on PO to moderate success, since there isn't a analysis on Pidgeot yet, I don't know if it is common, but based on the 4th gen analysis, it seems different.

Pidgeot
Item:Leftovers
Nature:Careful/Impish
EVs:204Def/252Sp.D/52 HP(If Impish)
EVs:252Def/204Sp.Def/52HP(If Careful)
-Substitute
-Featherdance/Whirlwind
-Roost
-Toxic/Return/Aerial Ace

While in the Past, Pidgeot has been forced into an attacking corner, despite the fact both Swellow and Staraptor do it much better. However, at 83/75/70 defenses, Pidgeot can work both a stall set and a Phazing set rather well. Since Attacking has always been expected of Pidgeot, you can take advantage of this by switching in on something in can scare away(but with 80 attack, that's not a lot) and set up a sub. the rest is entirely up to you. if you want to phaze, use whirlwind to send out enemies able to take it out, or, if you want to stall, use featherdance.Roost is for recovery, and Toxic/Return/Aerial Ace all also have their own ways of doing damage as well. Toxic can do decent amounts of damage while you absorb their -6 attacks, or return can give you the ability to do damage if you get taunted, or aerial ace to do damage if you're taunted by a ghost/put into a stall war with evio-dusclops(which I have won with Pidgeot in the past......)Aerial Ace is the least suggested move, however. as Return does what Aerial ace is there to do better, but return does leave you with no actual way of hurting a ghost. in my opinion Toxic is best.

I will admit however, both Pidgeots have their problems, and while I rarely use Phazing Pidgeot,I can't really say much about it negatively,except there are others who could probably do it better, but, in terms of stall pidgeot:

-Special sweepers can still murder it.
-Switching kills the attack downgrades

It's situational, but when used correctly, it can work wonders.

This is one I use on PO to moderate success, since there isn't a analysis on Pidgeot yet, I don't know if it is common, but based on the 4th gen analysis, it seems different.

Pidgeot
Item:Leftovers
Nature:Careful/Impish
EVs:204Def/252Sp.D/52 HP(If Impish)
EVs:252Def/204Sp.Def/52HP(If Careful)
-Substitute
-Featherdance/Whirlwind
-Roost
-Toxic/Return/Aerial Ace

While in the Past, Pidgeot has been forced into an attacking corner, despite the fact both Swellow and Staraptor do it much better. However, at 83/75/70 defenses, Pidgeot can work both a stall set and a Phazing set rather well. Since Attacking has always been expected of Pidgeot, you can take advantage of this by switching in on something in can scare away(but with 80 attack, that's not a lot) and set up a sub. the rest is entirely up to you. if you want to phaze, use whirlwind to send out enemies able to take it out, or, if you want to stall, use featherdance.Roost is for recovery, and Toxic/Return/Aerial Ace all also have their own ways of doing damage as well. Toxic can do decent amounts of damage while you absorb their -6 attacks, or return can give you the ability to do damage if you get taunted, or aerial ace to do damage if you're taunted by a ghost/put into a stall war with evio-dusclops(which I have won with Pidgeot in the past......)Aerial Ace is the least suggested move, however. as Return does what Aerial ace is there to do better, but return does leave you with no actual way of hurting a ghost. in my opinion Toxic is best.

I will admit however, both Pidgeots have their problems, and while I rarely use Phazing Pidgeot,I can't really say much about it negatively,except there are others who could probably do it better, but, in terms of stall pidgeot:

-Special sweepers can still murder it.
-Switching kills the attack downgrades

It's situational, but when used correctly, it can work wonders.
Murcrow >>> Pidgeot

Murcrow >>> Pidgeot
Really? I mean Prankster is useful, but even with eviolite, Pidgeot has better defenses.

Murkrow w/eviolite(Base Stats):
60HP,63Defense,63Sp.Defense

Pidgeot:
83HP,75Defense,70Sp.Defense

Assuming what I think eviolite does is true(50% boost to defenses) Can't Pidgeot do that Equally as well, if not better?

First, when making an EV spread for bulk, always max out HP first. Mess around with the damage calculator and you'll find it to be a much more efficient use of EV's than putting points just in def and SpD.

Also, Pidgeot is slightly bulker than Murkrow, but not so much as to outweigh the advantages of prankster. Prankster is really, really, ridiculously, stupendously useful. The ability to move before the opponent uses Substitute or Taunt is basically the difference between gaining or losing a free turn. The ability to use Featherdance before getting attacked is the difference between surviving and dying.

If you really don't want to use Murkrow, you might be better off with Noctowl anyway. It is somewhat lacking in the Def department, (if you max HP and Def it's better on all sides than your inefficient Pidgeot though) but the SpD is actually really good, and you are using Featherdance after all.

Honestly the best recommendation is to just go with a SubRoost set on one of the legendary birds. They have more bulk, more speed, more resistances, Pressure for stalling and good attacking stats so they don't get destroyed by Substitute. You can basically max out HP and Speed and use Sub / Toxic / Roost / attack. Zapdos lacks the double SR weak which is a plus, but Moltres is probably the strongest once in, since he hits almost everything immune to Toxic for double damage (Steels, most Poisons are also Grass). Articuno has the most bulk but the worst typing, and is horribly walled by Steels. It used to be worth using against Water-types, but with Zapdos around that niche may be gone.

Rock Polish + Swords Dance Rhyperior has been working very well for me. It's not very clever at all, but I would say it's a very notable set (as a Terrakion replacement of sorts).

[SET]
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Rock Polish
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Absolutely nothing unpredictable about it. Still, its offensive typing is one of the best in the game (second to Terrakion). A +2 Earthquake covers the bulky Psychic-type foes such as Slowbro that Megahorn is originally for, while a Rock Polish allows it to outpace base 125 Spe enemies (and unfortunately miss out on base 130 enemies by four points... however, Aerodactyl is almost always a suicide lead, while Jolteon usually loses to Rhyperior, regardless). While the Speed isn't impressive enough to beat Scarf users, I realized that the most common Scarf user is Staraptor - which can't do much of anything to Rhyperior, regardless. It's actually worked surprisingly well against Hail teams too, despite the Ground typing, as a Rock Polish will allow Rhyperior to outspeed and OHKO the most common Hail abusers. Against almost any team, a Swords Dance + Rock Polish is more or less good game (can you say "dual screen support"?).

-Zane

Really? I mean Prankster is useful, but even with eviolite, Pidgeot has better defenses.

Murkrow w/eviolite(Base Stats):
60HP,63Defense,63Sp.Defense

Pidgeot:
83HP,75Defense,70Sp.Defense

Assuming what I think eviolite does is true(50% boost to defenses) Can't Pidgeot do that Equally as well, if not better?
Eviolite multiplies the end stat, not the base stat. So the max stats read;
370/273/262 (Pidgeot)
324/302/302 (Murkrow)

So Pidgeot has more HP, but Murkrow's defences can be over 10% larger with maxed EV investment. Murkrow then has all sorts of moves it can abuse, including priority Taunt and Roost.

I've been using this Tangrowth set with success to some extent (might just be that tangrowth's boss).

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Bold Nature / Regenerator
252HP/216Def/40Sp.A
Moves:
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder/Stun Spore
Leaf Storm
Power Swap

It's a Standard Tangrowth wall, but with a rather unorthodox method of taking special attacks. First 2 moves are for team support, Leaf Storm is to deal a good deal of damage to all who don't resist it, and Power swap gives the opponent the Sp.A Drops from Leaf Storm. Not only does this let Tangrowth use Leaf Storm again, it helps (doesn't fix) Tangrowth's low Sp.D stat. This works well with Physically Bulky Sweepers that have issues with rock Types (I use it with Entei and they're amazing partners).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)