New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread - BW UU Edition

High Attack, Almost Perfect coverage, Frail as a wet bag, very viable of causing switches, flying type (SR weak), with many possible sets, not saying is Raptor, but it can certainly do the job raptor's doing now (like a sub-sweeper, or a CB)
Yes, but aero doesn't have bulk like staraptor, NONE. ZILCH.

What about... Floatzel! Choice Band Floatzel, to be precise.

Name: Choice Band
Move 1: Waterfall
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Return / Brick Break
Move 4: Switcheroo
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Outspeeds almost everything in the tier and can hit stuff hard with its Water STAB. Crunch gets use on the numerous Psychics in the tier whilst Meanwhile, Switcheroo can be used to cripple any bulky water that tries to switch in, whilst still allowing Floatzel to be a moderately effective revenge killer with its incredible speed. Return is there should you prefer a stronger option against Grass and Water types, and stuff in general. Ice Punch is unfortunately illegal with Switcheroo. Brick Break is the only remaining coverage option and can be used to remove screens. It also hits Empoleon.

Floatzel's also immune to Burns thanks to its Dream World ability, letting it switch in on Will o Wisps with impunity and deal with the opposing Fire or Ghost type with its respective coverage move.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, but aero doesn't have bulk like staraptor, NONE. ZILCH.
Since when does Staraptor have bulk? It's defenses are 85/70/50 iirc. Aero's are not much worse at 80/65/75, and debatebly better in sandstorm at an effective 80/65/121.

What about... Floatzel! Choice Band Floatzel, to be precise.

Name: Choice Band
Move 1: Waterfall
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Return / Brick Break
Move 4: Switcheroo
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Outspeeds almost everything in the tier and can hit stuff hard with its Water STAB. Crunch gets use on the numerous Psychics in the tier whilst Meanwhile, Switcheroo can be used to cripple any bulky water that tries to switch in, whilst still allowing Floatzel to be a moderately effective revenge killer with its incredible speed. Return is there should you prefer a stronger option against Grass and Water types, and stuff in general. Ice Punch is unfortunately illegal with Switcheroo. Brick Break is the only remaining coverage option and can be used to remove screens. It also hits Empoleon.

Floatzel's also immune to Burns thanks to its Dream World ability, letting it switch in on Will o Wisps with impunity and deal with the opposing Fire or Ghost type with its respective coverage move.
Here's an interesting Idea change choice band for Flame Orb, since Floatzel can't get burnt, then give some unexpecting physical attacker a nice flame orb like say Staraptor lol then laugh, no one would expect it, since they don't see the burn status like magic guard pokemon.

That could work, but then again Floatzel lures in bulky waters like crazy so I'm not sure which would be more effective. Plus, itemless Floatzel is kind of weak and shouldn't have to be relied upon for damage 100% of the time.

The surprise factor could give you the advantage when facing stuff like Choice Band Staraptor, but then again hitting it with a +1 Waterfall kills it 80% of the time with Stealth Rock support, so why bother.

That could work, but then again Floatzel lures in bulky waters like crazy so I'm not sure which would be more effective. Plus, itemless Floatzel is kind of weak and shouldn't have to be relied upon for damage 100% of the time.

The surprise factor could give you the advantage when facing stuff like Choice Band Staraptor, but then again hitting it with a +1 Waterfall kills it 80% of the time with Stealth Rock support, so why bother.
I guess you don't count flame orb a item, I guess taking away leftover from Bulky Water doesn't help much since Milotic Ability helps it's on the physical Defensive side, Slowbro doesn't care much because it can regenerate and Suicune doesn't care either way since it uses rest (generally), I guess CB if the better option, if it's against bulky waters.

If it's not a bulky water, Physical Pokemon will try to KO Floatzel because it's frail and the burn helps and having the option to change moves is always nice and taking away evolite from NFE pokemon could help too, Dusclops can't do much besides painsplit and Night Shade/ Seismic Toss Floatzel, being stuck on a choice move when Chansey Switches in can be downer too.

Ah well both sides have their pros and cons, Flame Orb Floatzel might work better in RU anyway.

breh

強いだね
I admit that Floatzel is actually a pretty cool poke. After the round is done, I really ought to test it. CB sounds really cool since it pretty much says "BULKY WATERS COME WALL ME" and then switcheroos and renders most useless.

The power boost is also appreciated, since Floatzel is lacking in offense.

Flame Orb seems like an interesting gimmick but I can't see it being that effective. Again, you attract bulky waters. Emploeon (which you can just KO with CB low kick or trick) isn't that much worse off and Milotic is somewhat benefitted by it (status immunity, boosted defense); suicune can just rest...

Even worse is if you trick it to heracross >_<

>Staraptor
>Bulky
>wat

Staraptor is easily one of the frailest things in the metagame, the trouble is it's ridiculously high power behind its attacks while coupled with a rather neat speed.

>Staraptor
>Bulky
>wat

Staraptor is easily one of the frailest things in the metagame, the trouble is it's ridiculously high power behind its attacks while coupled with a rather neat speed.
>mfw you're using greentext without color
>mfw I have no face

In all seriousness though, I believe he was talking about Staraptor with Intimidate. I had a gimmick Featheraptor set with FD/Roost/Brave Bird/Toxic, it worked well although the Strategy Pokedex said it wouldn't :P

Staraptor is more commonly used to poke holes in opponent's team with Brave Bird/CC/Return/Double Edge/something.

Featheraptor is pretty much only good because of Intimidate. IMO Pidgeot runs that set better. Pidgeot.

Oh! And Floatzel also has enough special attack to use Ice Beam to fend off the likes of Tangrowth, Gligar and Altaria, even without just a Naive nature and no EVs. 252HP Tangrowth takes 50.5% - 59.9%, physically defensive Gligar takes 67.1% - 80.2% and Altaria is usually 2HKO'd depending on the spread.

In all seriousness though, I believe he was talking about Staraptor with Intimidate. I had a gimmick Featheraptor set with FD/Roost/Brave Bird/Toxic, it worked well although the Strategy Pokedex said it wouldn't :P
But raptor is still almost only used to make hooles on your opponent team so you'll go with reckless, pure power over a gimmicky set that it's outclassed by other pokes, defensive raptor is putclassed, offensive one... is suspect

Here's an interesting Idea change choice band for Flame Orb, since Floatzel can't get burnt, then give some unexpecting physical attacker a nice flame orb like say Staraptor lol then laugh, no one would expect it, since they don't see the burn status like magic guard pokemon.
Magic Guard shows the burn status, so it isn't like Magic Guard in that sense, but i rather like that plan

breh

強いだね

did you even read that sentence? lol

Anyway, since i posted aobut it in the Blastoise thread, I might as well add it here.

Blastoise@Leftovers
Modest/Quiet
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Hydro Pump
Focus Blast
HP Grass / Ice Beam / Aqua Jet
Rapid Spin

Offensive Blastoise. When ghosts come in expecting weak Scald, they get this. HP Grass is exclusively for Gastrodon (and maybe Alomamola, but I'm not sure how it takes it), Ice Beam is to damage Grass-types (but you want to switch against most anyway), and Aqua Jet is surprisingly potent priority, especially if you get into torrent. Focus Blast hits Empoleon hard and is always fun to use against them (OH FUCK IT CAN HURT ME). Rapid Spin makes Blastoise not inferior to Milotic.

I tried Choice Specs on the same set and it was fun. When you get into Torrent, things die.

Here's a cool Volbeat set I've been using as a Baton Passer
Volbeat @Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def Careful Nature
Prankster (Unreleased as of now though)
-Tail Glow
-Baton Pass
-Substitute
-Encore
This set is quite simple to use, but a very good BP set. First you Switch in on someone trying to set up on you, then you use priority Encore to lock them in to it. Next you set up a free sub on the switch or if they stay in thinking you can't touch them (a lot of people don't know that it gets Tail Glow from my experience with it) and the second turn you can set up a Tail Glow. Third turn you either set up a second Tail Glow if they stayed in or if you think you can tank a hit from them (if not BP this turn) and the fourth turn you Baton Pass to just about any Special Attacker with Speed or bulk and proceed to sweep the other guys team. Every time I've used this guy I've ended up winning 6-0 or the occasional 5-0. If you want you can also use a set with Focus Sash and invest in Spe and SpA and replace Sub with Bug Buzz, but I prefer this one.

I'm not sure if you posted this because it's slightly different than other BP Tail Glow Volbeat sets, but it's pretty widely known that Volbeat will be passing Tail Glows, Tail Glow Baton Pass is the set on the analysis for 4th gen,

Posting a random set for a pokemon that i love

Flygon @Leftovers
Subroost
Substitute
Roost
Dragon Tail
Struggle Bug

definitely not creative, not new, but new for the pokemon, if its not new for flygon, someone please shoot me for writing this. Nice niche in keeping it's ground immunity while roosting, Dragon Tail works great with hazards, struggle bug is so that you can do WAAAAAY more damage to something than Dragon Tail would have(i didnt feel like finding a filler move) keep in mind this is all theorymon, possible spreads include but arent limited to, 252HP/252Def/4Spe Bold(phys) 252HP/4Atk/252Spd(spec) could mix the defenses, but im not good at anything but 252 spreads, any thoughts? Also that Blastoise looks fun, might use it on the DS

LOOOL, i used it in the japanese game, only because its name was BUG FUCKIN RESISTANCE, most badass name for a move ever, but no, there is no reason to use struggle bug, i just didnt look through its move pool, i guess you could use protect or toxic, unless you want to rely on an uninvested earthquake

Lets be honest, Hippopotas, the staple to Sandstorm teams, has means of offense whatsoever. So, I tried this.

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Rock Tomb
- Mud-Slap

This set has worked to great effect in UU, since almost all other Hippopotas sets are shut down by Taunt. Taunt + WoW Mew? No problem, lower its Speed, and then send in your CB Mamoswine (even though it might be gone soon :[ ). Deoxys-D giving you trouble? Lower its Speed so that slower sweepers such as Escavalier can match it. It can even handle Chansey (without Toxic), to some extent; Lower its Speed, get it to -6 Accuracy. Hippo can take 3 Seismic Tosses, so it isn't going down easily. From there, you can PP Stall it out, with Sandstorm and without Leftovers, Chansey won't stand long. You could use Tackle in place of SR to stall it out for 64 turns, but otherwise its a wasted moveslot. And again, not all Chanseys carry TW, so its best to scout for Toxic before you switch it in.

The aim of this set is to not become Taunt bait and support teammates, not to hit hard. Think Icy Wind Gengar last gen, for example. It lowered the foe's Speed to help it sweep itself (and to break Sashes, but that's beside the point). In this case, Hippopotas lowers the foe's Speed and/or Accuracy to support its teammates' sweep, instead of sweeping himself. It can also make the opponent switch and rack entry hazard damage, combined with Spikes support. Things like Crobat, Mew, and Victini would all hate to have their Speed lowered, and the Speed drop can really aid slow sweepers. Rhyperior set up a free Rock Polish when the opponent switches, fearing that they'll either be outsped or their moves will miss (think -2 Focus Blast on Cobalion).

The aim of this set is to not become Taunt bait and support teammates, not to hit hard. Think Icy Wind Gengar last gen, for example. It lowered the foe's Speed to help it sweep itself (and to break Sashes, but that's beside the point). In this case, Hippopotas lowers the foe's Speed and/or Accuracy to support its teammates' sweep, instead of sweeping himself. It can also make the opponent switch and rack entry hazard damage, combined with Spikes support. Things like Crobat, Mew, and Victini would all hate to have their Speed lowered, which can really aid slow sweepers, such as Rhyperior set up a free Rock Polish.

Earthquake would go on a Curse set, or a utility set consisting of SR / Slack Off / Toxic / EQ. Both of these sets, while effective, they're shut down by Taunt, which again, is what this set is trying to avoid.

Lets be honest, Hippopotas, the staple to Sandstorm teams, has means of offense whatsoever. So, I tried this.

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Rock Tomb
- Mud-Slap

This set has worked to great effect in UU, since almost all other Hippopotas sets are shut down by Taunt. Taunt + WoW Mew? No problem, lower its Speed, and then send in your CB Mamoswine. Deoxys-D giving you trouble? Lower its Speed so that slower sweepers such as Escavalier can match it. It can even handle Chansey (without Toxic), to some extent; Lower its Speed, get it to -6 Accuracy. Hippo can take 2 Seismic Tosses, and 3 if 96 EVs are invested in HP. From there, you can PP Stall it out, with Sandstorm and without Leftovers, Chansey won't stand long. You could use Tackle in place of SR to stall it out for 64 turns, but otherwise its a wasted moveslot.
I just mentioned this issue on the last page : /

Every time someone posts a "bulky" EV spread with 4 HP EVs, god kills a kitten.

Eviolite doesn't favor spreads with Def and SpD instead of HP EVs. Adding a 1.5 boost to your defenses reduces damage by 33%, no matter what the stat is. Just use the bulkiest spread (ones with HP EVs first). If you're looking for mixed defenses, the HP stat should be either maxed out or more than double the Def or SpD stat before you start adding EVs to those stats.

That said, mixed defenses aren't always the best way to go, since you can only wall one pokemon at once, sometimes its better to focus on maximizing either physical or special bulk, in which case you want 252 HP EVs and 252 EVs in either Def or SpD.

I just mentioned this issue on the last page : /

Every time someone posts a "bulky" EV spread with 4 HP EVs, god kills a kitten.

Eviolite doesn't favor spreads with Def and SpD instead of HP EVs. Adding a 1.5 boost to your defenses reduces damage by 33%, no matter what the stat is. Just use the bulkiest spread (ones with HP EVs first). If you're looking for mixed defenses, the HP stat should be either maxed out or more than double the Def or SpD stat before you start adding EVs to those stats.

That said, mixed defenses aren't always the best way to go, since you can only wall one pokemon at once, sometimes its better to focus on maximizing either physical or special bulk, in which case you want 252 HP EVs and 252 EVs in either Def or SpD.
I implied that a set of 96 HP / 16O Def / 252 SpD was viable to check Chansey, although you're right, I should have made it more clear.

First you should know that your 96 HP spread takes physical hits nearly just the same as your 4 HP spread, but takes special hits much better. In other words, there's no reason to use the 4 HP spread.

If you're looking for mixed defenses, the HP stat should be either maxed out or more than double the Def or SpD stat before you start adding EVs to those stats.
96 EVs gives you 301 HP, and your spread has 232 Def and 201 SpD. The HP is way less than double the Def and SpD stats, so you should be putting points in it until it's maxed out. Hippopotas can easily max HP and still have both of its defenses higher than half the HP, so there's no reason whatsoever not to max the HP.

If you use a spread with 252 HP EVs, you can get a build that takes hits better on both sides (and has more HP for fixed damage moves obviously).

A spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Impish will take hits better on all sides than either of your spreads. It is better in every way.

Trust me, you can hardly go wrong just maxing HP first. The only pokemon you don't want to do this for are things like Hariyama with ridiculously high HP and low defenses. Even then, if you're making a strategic decision to wall physical or special attackers, you probably want to max HP and one of the Def stats just to get that one side as bulky as possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)