New and "creative" moveset/EV spread thread "Mark 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Trick

Mr. Trick / Triple Cripple - UU Anti-Lead

Mr Mime @ Choice Scarf
Timid - Filter/Soundproof (Discussed Later)
252 HP / 82 SpD / 176 Spe
- Trick
- Hypnosis
- Thunder Wave / Teeter Dance / Toxic
- Seismic Toss / Psychic / Focus Blast / Thunderbolt

Coupled with a Choice Scarf, Mr Mime reaches 429 Speed through this setup. This number outspeeds all non-scarfed pokemon in the UU metagame, aswell as Scarfed Venusaur and other base 80 speed pokemon and below.

Trick will disable any pokemon that doesn't carry a choice item of it's own, while Hypnosis lets him be the fastest sleeper in UU. As the sleeped pokemon switches out, Thunder Wave the switch in to slow them down, meaning that, if successful, this guy can disable half of your opponents team in 3 moves.

The last slot depends on preference, Seismic Toss is reliable, whereas Psychic can sometimes cause more damage, it depends on the rest of your team really. Thunderbolt and Focus Blast can cover specific leads you have problems with, all 4 of the moves have their merits.

Other options for the third and fourth slots are Reflect and Light Screen if your team needs the support. Mr Mime can also set up Rain or Sun if needed.

Once it's Anti-Lead madness is over, it can function well as a Special Wall and late game statuser, with it's naturally high base 120 SpD. Just beware for Physical hits, as it has pathetic HP and Def stats.

Filter Vs. Soundproof - It's about opinion, Soundproof is probably the safer option as it allows you to switch in to Bug Buzz freely and stops people abusing Roar + Entry Hazards, Filter can offer Mr Mime the chance to sometimes survive an otherwise knockout blow.

As this is an Anti-Lead, let's see how he fair against the five most common UU leads.

Aerodactyl - Your basic lead Aero will use Taunt or Stealth Rock first turn, allowing you to outspeed them and lock them in to the now-useless move. If you are taunted, you might want bring out your own Spiker/Rock Setter as you get a free switch. Otherwise Aero is perfect for getting three pokemon disabled as you Scarf the Aero, Sleep the switch then TWave the next switch.

Seismic Toss Vs. 4 HP Aerodactyl = 33.1% = 4HKO

Psychic Vs. 4 HP/4 SpD Aerodactyl = 40.73% - 48.01% = 3HKO

Thunderbolt Vs. 4 HP/4 SpD Aerodactyl = 56.95% - 67.55% = 2HKO

Focus Blast Vs. 4 HP/4 SpD Aerodactyl = 36.09% - 42.72% = 3HKO

Persian - Two options here, you can either switch out to a Ghost (Preferably an Insomniac) or you can hit Persian with the fastest Hypnosis in UU. The first may seem weak, however, with the latter, after using Hypnosis (And praying it hit's through it's poor accuracy, aswell as taking a Fake Out for approx 40% on the first turn), you give their switch-in a free turn as you are trapped to Hypnosis by your scarf. The choice is up to you.

Seismic Toss Vs. 4 HP Persian = 36.7% = 3HKO

Psychic Vs. 4 HP/0 SpD Persian = 50.74% - 59.93% = 2HKO (2HKO 83.83% likely with Leftovers although Lead Persian will never have lefties)

Thunderbolt Vs. 4 HP/0 SpD Persian = 35.66% - 42.28% = 3HKO (3HKO 87.97% likely with Leftovers although Lead Persian will never have lefties)

Focus Blast Vs. 4 HP/0 SpD Persian = 90.44% - 106.62% = 41.03% chance to OHKO (Shifting the SpD EVs in to SpA will give this an 87.18% chance to OHKO)

Steelix - Having a Scarf will ruin Steelix, especially a min speed Gyro Ball user, as even with the scarf, it's speed will be useless, however it will up it enough to severely weaken Gyro Ball. Like Aero, Steelix usually allows a chance for this set's ultimate goal of a Triple Cripple of the foe's team.

Seismic Toss Vs. 252 HP Steelix = 28.2% = 4HKO (5HKO if you've not tricked his lefties away)

Psychic Vs. 252 HP/136 SpD Steelix = 16.1% - 19.21% = Poor.

Thunderbolt Vs. Steelix = 0%

Focus Blast Vs. 252 HP/136 SpD Steelix = 57.63% - 67.8% = 2HKO

Electrode - This set works well against Rain Dance teams, as it outspeeds Electrode and swaps his Damp Rock for a Choice Scarf, not only shortening the length of the rain, but forcing Electrode to switch. Sleep the incoming sweeper (TWave to slow it down if you are worried about Hypnosis' accuracy) then switch to a counter if you TWaved or Twave the next switch in if you sleeped the first. This leaves their team half-disabled and with only 2 turns of rain left. You will want a tough physical wall (Such as Steelix), Damp user or Ghost to counter a Scarfed Explosion you will receive later on in the game.

Seismic Toss Vs. 4 HP Electrode = 38.2% = 3HKO

Psychic Vs. 4 HP/0 SpD Electrode = 45.04% - 53.05% = 25.44% chance to 2HKO

Thunderbolt Vs. 4 HP/0 SpD Electrode = 15.65% - 18.7% = Poor.

Focus Blast Vs. 4 HP/0 SpD Electrode = 39.69% - 46.95% = 3HKO

Swellow - As Protect will scout your Mr Mime and trap you in to a move, your best option is to switch out to you rock/steel counter while the Swellow wastes a turn Protecting. Apart from Seismic Toss, all of the others moves 2HKO, so it's worth saving this guy till the later game so you can outspeed and KO Swellow (Poison damage will often bring it in to OHKO range).

Seismic Toss Vs. 0 HP Swellow = 38.3% = 3HKO

Psychic Vs. 0 HP/4 SpD Swellow = 64.37% - 75.86% = 2HKO

Thunderbolt Vs. 0 HP/4 SpD Swellow = 90.42% - 106.51% = 33.33% chance to OHKO (Shifting the SpD EVs in to SpA will give this an 87.18% chance to OHKO)

Focus Blast Vs. 0 HP/4 SpD Swellow = 56.7% - 67.05% = 2HKO

- - -​

Feedback is always appreciated.​

And first post on Smogon, probably one of the longest ones i'll ever do too.​

With something like Mr. Mime with a pathetic 40 base HP, maxing HP is always the way to go. Swapping the HP and special defense EVs wil give you 3% more durability on the special side and a whopping 18% more physical durability. Also, Swellow's Protect will block Trick and Thunder Wave the first turn, leaving you stuck on a non-damaging move against a Swellow immune to paralysis. The best option for Mr. Mime against Swellow is to try its luck with Thunderbolt, but even that isn't guaranteed to OHKO so you are best switching out to a 100% counter, i.e. most Rock or Steel types.

Really Random set that I made as I type since I haven't posted any posts lately.
Gyrados!@choice specs/LO/lefties 252sptak/rest for max bulkiness modest
-hydro pump
-ice beam
-fire blast
-t-bolt
This set offers a huge surprise.T-bolt for opposing gyrados, ice beam for dragons and gliscors, hydro pump for heatran and hippos, fire blast for steel. It reaches a disturbing 361spatk. LOL

Azelf@Choice Band
Jolly
42 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe

Fire Punch
Zen Headbutt
Ice Punch/U-Turn
Explosion/U-Turn

Now Azelf has some new toys to use, its easy to see a CB set is now viable. Looking at it, a Mixed Set may also be on the cards, but I'm too slack to make one now.

Ehh, http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1483062&postcount=528

Here is a blend of all those sets:

Azelf @ Expert Belt
Naive
252 Atk / 42 SpA /216 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Naive because Pursuit is a physical move, and you will live unless you switch or the enemy has a CB and STAB. NP + 1 special move may seem dumb, but the idea to to pretend you are a Choice set. Switch in, Zen Headbutt, and get out.

I don't know why Ice Punch is there...

Made changes to the EV spread and edited the Swellow tactic.

Thanks for your input and information on durability.
What if you made it Calm, and moved all the Special Defense Evs to Speed instead, wouldn't you not lose too much Speed, and gain alot of durability on the special side?

eh can we stop with the Pt mses =|

i mean mses can look exciting but it's hard to judge their effectiveness given that the metagame in which they exist... has yet to exist.

Raticate @ Focus Sash

Counter
Reversal
Facade
Sucker Punch

Guts
Adamant - 252 Speed - 252 Attack

The whole point of him is to counter for a OHKO, then try to sweep with reversal.
Facade is there for the chance of switching in on a wisp or toxic or toxic spikes.
Sucker Punch so he can hit those faster opponents like Alakazam and Gengar.

Really Random set that I made as I type since I haven't posted any posts lately.
Gyrados!@choice specs/LO/lefties 252sptak/rest for max bulkiness modest
-hydro pump
-ice beam
-fire blast
-t-bolt
This set offers a huge surprise.T-bolt for opposing gyrados, ice beam for dragons and gliscors, hydro pump for heatran and hippos, fire blast for steel. It reaches a disturbing 361spatk. LOL
I once posted a SpecsGyarados set, and it didn't go over too well. Apparently, 361 AFTER a boost is pretty weak.

Oh, yeah, and here's a little set I like to call SDPluff.

Jumpluff @ Life Orb
Jolly (+Speed,-Sp.Atk.)
EVs;252 Speed/252 Attack
Swords Dance
Seed Bomb
Aerial Ace
U-Turn

After one SD, with Life Orb, Jumpluff reaches 543 Attack. That with 350 Speed, and dual STAB physical moves, Jumpluff can SWEEP. U-Turn is if you want to get Jumpluff OUT of there, while doing some damage at the same time.

Truth be told, I've been considering a set like this for some time, but it couldn't have been viable until Seed Bomb became a tutor move.

Pokemon Name:

Moveset Name: Hit and Run
Move 1: Dragon Dance
Move 2: Outrage
Move 3: Superpower
Move 4: Roost
Item: Lum Berry or Yache Berry
Ability:Inner Focus
Nature(s): Adamant/Jolly
EVs: Ordered 6/252/0/0/0/252

Basically you come in and you DD. Superpower and Outrage hit every pokemon in the game for Neutral (Except Shedinja) while you can either have a move like Draco Meteor in the 4th slot or Roost for instant Recovery. Both Outrage and Superpower are base 120 Moves. Obvously due to Superpower lowering your attack you will be switching in and out a lot so you will want a spinner on your team to save 25% of your HP everytime you switch in...

Pokemon Name:

Moveset Name: Hit and Run
Move 1: Dragon Dance
Move 2: Outrage
Move 3: Superpower
Move 4: Roost
Item: Lum Berry or Yache Berry
Ability:Inner Focus
Nature(s): Adamant/Jolly
EVs: Ordered 6/252/0/0/0/252

Basically you come in and you DD. Superpower and Outrage hit every pokemon in the game for Neutral (Except Shedinja) while you can either have a move like Draco Meteor in the 4th slot or Roost for instant Recovery. Both Outrage and Superpower are base 120 Moves. Obvously due to Superpower lowering your attack you will be switching in and out a lot so you will want a spinner on your team to save 25% of your HP everytime you switch in...
EXCEPT THAT OUTRAGE DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO HIT AND RUN!

Raticate @ Focus Sash

Counter
Reversal
Facade
Sucker Punch

Guts
Adamant - 252 Speed - 252 Attack

The whole point of him is to counter for a OHKO, then try to sweep with reversal.
Facade is there for the chance of switching in on a wisp or toxic or toxic spikes.
Sucker Punch so he can hit those faster opponents like Alakazam and Gengar.
If facade is there, and your Raticate gets statused, then he is dead anyways

Try Endeavor in that spot instead so you can automatically bring a pokemon down to one health that you would have otherwised have trouble with

I once posted a SpecsGyarados set, and it didn't go over too well. Apparently, 361 AFTER a boost is pretty weak.

Oh, yeah, and here's a little set I like to call SDPluff.

Jumpluff @ Life Orb
Jolly (+Speed,-Sp.Atk.)
EVs;252 Speed/252 Attack
Swords Dance
Seed Bomb
Aerial Ace
U-Turn

After one SD, with Life Orb, Jumpluff reaches 543 Attack. That with 350 Speed, and dual STAB physical moves, Jumpluff can SWEEP. U-Turn is if you want to get Jumpluff OUT of there, while doing some damage at the same time.

Truth be told, I've been considering a set like this for some time, but it couldn't have been viable until Seed Bomb became a tutor move.
Chlorophyll or Leaf Guard?

Jolteon @ Leftovers/Expert Belt

Timid (+Speed,-Atk.)
EVs;252 Speed/252 Sp.Atk.
Magnet Rise
Substitute/Shadow Ball
Charge Beam/Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice / Grass

Edit:

Sorry about not giving an explanation earlier, but I made this post on a hurry.

As tuskate said, the only thing here is to remove jolteons weakness to attemp a sweep.

As his main option of ability, volt absorb usually is used once or maybe twice during a battle against a experienced battler, but after that is pretty useless, so here is where magnet rise come in, because when your oponents watches a jolteon it inmeadiately will switch for a counter like chouce bander dugtrio, which usually means dead for Jolteon, but jolteon is still faster an with magnet rise the one in problems will dugtrio, that is easily OHKO'ed by hidden power ice/grass

Substitute may give it survivability and protection from status, but it loses one attack to OHKO Gengar and hit harder to Cresselia/Dusknoir The other move slots give Jolteon the common covergae.

No explanation huh?

Honestly what it seems you are trying to do is mag rise then sweep. I got news for you bud, incoming EQ's aren't the only thing preventing Jolteon from sweeping teams. You are removing the only weakness off a relatively frail pokemon, who can't take neutral stab hits to well either.

Hmm.... Speaking of Magnet Rise users...

Ampharos
BulkyAmphy @ Leftovers
N: Calm/Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 176 SpDef
Magnet Rise
Discharge
Focus Blast
Reflect/Light Screen/Toxic

A defensive/support Amphy. Magnet Rise relives him of his Ground weakness for a few turns. Discharge is more supportive then Thunderbolt, with its higher chance of paralasys, so its a better option, eliminating the need for Thunder Wave. Choose the support move that benifits your team most. If you use a screen, use the nature that boosts the other defensive stat. If you go with Reflect, then have a Calm nature, and vice versa. Calm is reccommended using Toxic.

Focus Blast is worth consideration so Amphy can really counter things such as Steelix.

The advantages of using Ampharos over other Magnet Rising electric types, is that he is the most defensive of them, and gets quite a few support moves.

here's some platinum movesets

Hitmontop@Life Orb
Adamant
252 hp, 252 atk, 6 speed
Technician
-Sucker Punch
-Fake Out
-Mach Punch
-Close Combat

standard technitop. sucker punch offers better coverage than bullet punch because it hits starmie and gengar SE

Scizor@Life Orb
Adamant
252 atk, 252 speed, 6 hp
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-X-Scissor

self explanatory

Zapdos@Life Orb
Modest
252 spA, 252 speed, 6 hp
-Metal Sound
-Heat Wave
-Thunderbolt
-HP grass

basically the metal sound zapdos from the analysis but with heat wave>roost to hit steel and grass types harder and hp grass>hp ice because with garchomp banned, hp ice isn't as useful since thunderbolt will 1HKO nite and mence after a metal sound, and of course hp grass hits swampert.

I don't think movesets that just add one move from Platinum should be posted here, personally. They aren't really "creative" and will probably be added in the analysis later on.

We should with posting sets that give pokemon alternate roles. And Gorm is right in that we have yet to be able to judge their effectiveness.

Skymin@life orb
4 hp/252 sp attack/252 speed
Modest
synthesis
growth
air slash
seed flare

basically heal on switches and set up on bulky waters, the best thing is you can still sweep without a boost.

here's some platinum movesets

Scizor@Life Orb
Adamant
252 atk, 252 speed, 6 hp
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break
-X-Scissor

self explanatory
So why the 252 evs on speed? whith two priority moves, It's better to have survibability that just spped that you wont be using anyways.

Hmm.... Speaking of Magnet Rise users...

Ampharos
BulkyAmphy @ Leftovers
N: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 176 SpDef
Magnet Rise
Thunderbolt
Reflect/Light Screen/Rain Dance/Safeguard/Heal Bell
Thunder Wave/Toxic/Rest

A defensive/support Amphy. Magnet Rise relives him of his Ground weakness for a few turns. You can mix and match any of the support moves listed here, for whatever benifits your team most. Or, you could opt for only one support move, and give Amphy more durability with Rest.

The advantages of using Ampharos over other Magnet Rising electric types, is that he is the most defensive of them, and gets quite a few support moves.

..I didn't put much thought into the EVs, I just maxed HP and split the defenses.
If you're going to go with split defenses you're better off with Calm as you get a few extra stat points due to the higher base stat.

But really I'd prefer to see a support set where Magnet Rise benefits Ampharos the most, and that is against bulky Ground types. With the set above you are doing nothing back against Steelix, only walling it. For this reason Focus Blast should be an option for 2HKOing it, as well as providing some better coverage against some other Pokemon such as Clefable, Probopass and Glaceon.

A STAB move is obviously mandatory, but Discharge needs to be an option for a greater rate of paralysis that does away the need for Thunder Wave and is essentially a 2-in-1 move, which always helps for a support Pokemon.

For the last slot I'd go with either Reflect, Light Screen or Toxic. Toxic is obviously your best option for other Ground types not weak to Fighting such as Gastrodon, Quagsire and Sandslash, and also other Electric resists such as Lanturn and Meganium. Heal Bell is great and all, but to be honest there are better Pokemon for it such as Miltank and Meganium who can also recover. It is better to get cleric and Wish support from something else on your team to get the best out of Ampharos. As for the screens I'd much prefer to use Light Screen to encourage physical attacks. That way because of Magnet Rise you force Earthquake users to use less powerful neutral attacks that often involve contact, thus allowing you to make some use of Static possibly.

Therefore if using Toxic I'd prefer to put a greater emphasis on special defense EVs, whereas if using Light Screen it is best to pump Defense. There is probably some value in running Modest and some Special Attack EVs for some much needed 2-3HKOs, but I haven't really thought about that too much, just something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)