Nickname discussion

Ah, dunno. Sounds difficult.
I see what you did there.

I mainly name my Pokémon after what role I want them to have. Radiance the Masquerain was because it's my contest main, my Prankster Murkrow is named Sabotage because SwagPlay, etc.

In honor of Mewtwo's birthday, I've decided to share my nicknames for my Mega Mewtwo:

Mega Mewtwo-Y: Mewthree*
Mega Mewtwo-X: Mewfour*

Okay, they aren't the most original names for it. The Mewtwo I caught in SoulSilver was named Shawn, after the fake psychic detective from Psych. I later used that nickname on my Slowbro, who is paired with Gus the Amoonguss (named after Shawn's best friend).

Another possible nickname for Mewtwo is Ripleytwo, in reference to Alien: Resurrection.

*M-Mewtwo Y was revealed first, so it gets the name Mewthree.

Ooh, just found this thread. I actually only started naming pokemon after I got into competitive. I pull out a lot of random references, but really try to put time into them.

References:
Garchomp: Nex Runescape boss who looked startlingly liked Garchomp on release, also means violent death in Latin so I thought it was appropriate.
Metagross: Legion Multiple brained android? Sounded like a certain geth from mass effect.
Sceptile: Lewa Old Bionicle reference to the original toa of air, if anyone remembers that.
Staraptor: Valor/Ryukko I feel like Valor (league of legends) fits Staraptor more, but I really have a hard time not losing my way when I just click CB Brave bird.
Aegislash: Anduril Aragorn's sword fits well because not only is it a king's sword, but also works very well against ghosts.
Salamence: Argorok Dragon boss of TLoZ: Twilight Princess.
Rotom-W: Wash Originally Washington, but I remembered the Red vs. Blue Character Agent Washington and his nickname Wash, so it stuck.
Excadrill: Gurren One half of a certain pair of heaven-piercing robots with drills (yes I know Lagann has the drill originally, but I thought Gurren sounded better).
Lucario: Icthlarin/Amascut The names of my physical and special Lucario respectively, the names are from two of the desert gods from Runescape.
Mega-Heracross: Grunt Not that smart? Hits hard? Face only a Pyjak could love? Sounds like a good Krogan to me!
Togekiss: Ciela Fairy from TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass, I wasn't going to disgrace my favorite fairy type by naming her Navi.
Umbreon: Tharja Dark mage from Fire Emblem: Awakening. The gold and black motif as well as the dark typing seemed to make this a perfect fit.

Cool Names:
Chandelure: Fiyr No matter how you pronounce it it works. To me it can either sound like fire or fear which both work really well with Chandelure.
Gengar: Reven Short for Revenant, just seemed to fit it.
Tyranitar: Harbinger Still sort of a Mass Effect reference, but more because it is the bringer of sand on most teams.
Typhlosion: Fusion Nuclear Fusion is the best way I can describe a specs eruption with out more adjectives.
Breloom: Funky Tech Short for The Funky Technician. It's an old Neilio song that I enjoyed when Breloom came out with technician.

I have others, but I thought I was rambling at this point. Does anyone have a good name for a female Gliscor or Swampert in general?

I have different nicknaming trends for every game. For AS i'm giving them French words as nicknames: a noun + adjective that describes it.

Gengar: Ombre Noire (Black Shadow)
Froslass: Ame de Neige (Snow Spirit)
Snorlax: Ours Dormant (Sleeping Bear)
Zoroark: Renard Malin (Cunning Fox)
Slurpuff: Bête Sucrée (Sugary Beast)

Also, my Gengar and Sharpedo that I used on a Double Battle team were named Vashta and Nerada ;)

I've named my Heatran Pyrophile. Seems fitting, seeing as how he loves living in volcanoes, and eats up Fire attacks.

If female, I would have named her Sauna, since that is how the room that I found him in felt like, and Sauna just sounds more feminine.

Has anyone named their Snorlax "Obeast"? It's a reference to Aquablade11's FireRed Nuzlocke. If few get the reference, what about a Persian named "Kitty Bank"?

I found out that I could not name my Togekiss 2 4Flinching, presumably because of the 'ching' because it accepted 2 4Flinchin'. On the other hand, my Scizor named RunWithMe still makes me giggle whenever it hits the field...

Apparently all traded Pokemon lose their nicknames when you evolve them. Which is a shame, I guess, because no one will know who was the "bae" of the OT of a shiny flawless Eevee I got in Wonder Trade and evolved to Sylveon.

Apparently all traded Pokemon lose their nicknames when you evolve them. Which is a shame, I guess, because no one will know who was the "bae" of the OT of a shiny flawless Eevee I got in Wonder Trade and evolved to Sylveon.
Not true. The name only changes if it's actually the species name. I have a Elegant Pattern Vivillon from a Japanese game that kept its nickname from when it was a Scatterbug, and Tassadar, (my Alakazam) Spookster, (my Gengar) and Sharp-Spray (my Kingdra) kept their nicknames when they came back from the trades to evolve them.

I found out that I could not name my Togekiss 2 4Flinching, presumably because of the 'ching' because it accepted 2 4Flinchin'. On the other hand, my Scizor named RunWithMe still makes me giggle whenever it hits the field...
wait, why? Is that some sort of pun?

Or Fabio or Fabia respectively, if you don't mind a bit of cliché.

I named my new Technician Shroomish, who I hatched just the other day, Shrooms, when I went to the Oceanic Museum in Slateport to play with him in Amie, which I do with quite a few of the Pokemon that I train, when it comes time to name them.

This was inspired my one of Pimpnite's naming creativities, whom an Amoongus was the subject of in this case. I thought that Shrooms would be a better nickname for a Shroomish or Breloom, and couldn't think of a better name, so I decided to just run with it.

Edit: And I've finally named my trusty Azumarill for good luck. Energizer Bunny was too long, so duh duh duh dun, it's Super Bunny!

Double Edit: I received a Trevenant named Groot in a Wonder Trade yesterday. I decided I didn't want or need him, so I WTed him off to someone else, but definitely liked the name.

Now I just gotta decide if I should use the name for a Harvest Trevenant when I get to IV breeding one, a Sudowoodo, or both. Then again, I'll probably just use the name that I used in Silver/Crystal, which was Woody, for Sudowoodo.

Oh, and while I'm here, I suppose I should mention that I apparently like the name Bandit.
I have both a Krookodile and a Linoone with that name.

Last edited:

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i like to do themed nicknames, usually based on tv shows. examples
i have a futurama themed box
bender : magnezone
fry : arcanine
leela : meinshao
dr zoidber : shiny clawitzer
slurms mackenzie : eelektross
hermes : cradily

others
spongebob : ludicolo
mr krabs : crawdaunt
patrick : starmie
plankton : shiny poliwrath
ed + bev bighead : politoed

i guess its mostly cartoon based

I named my Delphox Foxfire after this Vulpix that was in a CreepyPasta.

And I named the Shiny Skarmory that I made in Pokedit Garuda.

I have an Unown named "A", and Unown named "B", etc. What, I was bored and caught all 28 forms in Alpha Sapphire.
I've done that quite often in the games one can catch Unown in, and catch as many of the 28 forms as I can in the game. Except a shiny Unown I caught in Diamond or Platinum which I nicknamed Lord Zedd. Seemed to fit, as it's the Z form and it's slightly more special than any other you'd find in those ruins.

I'm going to save myself some sanity and just transfer my Unown from my gen 4 games... oh wait. Poke Transfer mini game and 6 at a time. Might not be such a great idea after all...

I'm going to save myself some sanity and just transfer my Unown from my gen 4 games... oh wait. Poke Transfer mini game and 6 at a time. Might not be such a great idea after all...
This is exactly why I caught them in Alpha Sapphire, especially since I still need to trade my Gen IV Unown to SoulSilver to complete the Unown Dex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)