nj art

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Thank you everybody who said they liked the Garchomp. I like drawing Garchomp with exaggerated features in that way because while most people think it looks like a badass killing machine, I just think it looks like kind of a lovable dope (that also happens to hit like a truck). I may finish it since it seems to have a lot of interest.

Anyways, the bulk of my day was spent shopping at local nurseries looking for cacti, which I collect and grow as a hobby. I found lots of really nice looking ones. In the same fashion as Chou's aquariums, I made a cactus garden, as well as planted other ones that didn't make it in a garden and just live in a pot by themselves.
I've just repotted them a few minutes ago, and I'll give them some time to chill out. Then I'll clean them and post pictures.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
Ok, so here are the cacti I bought today. First, there is this pre-made cactus garden:

There are 4 different species total and they're in a very attractive cross shaped pot. The rocks surrounding them were oddly stuck together, so I had to break them apart with a butter knife.
There was no information on what species these were, and the company site didn't provide any useful information either, which was kind of annoying.

With my minimal knowledge of identifying cacti without any reference point, I can tell that this is most likely some sort of Parodia. I was really pleased wit the way this one looked, it is a really nice green color and there are no obvious holes or flaws on the surface. The flower is a really bright pink and has a nice papery texture. The spines are soft enough to lightly touch, but could probably prick if you touched it too hard.

Unlike the flowered one, I can't guess the genus at first glance. It looks like it could belong to a lot of different ones, and I haven't bothered to look up which one it exactly is. Anyways, again, this cactus looked really healthy. The spines grow inward so it's difficult to poke yourself on one. Easy to handle, and a lovely green color.

No idea what this little dude here is. It has tiny spines that are spaced out quite a bit, and there are minuscule leaves on the ends of the spines. You can grab it pretty easily. It has a really cool pattern of green and light green.

This thing is a prickly son of a bitch. Poked myself on it and got about 4 spines caught in my hand trying to handle it. Some of the spines are hard and slender, but some of them are soft, fat and green. Once again, never seen one like this, not sure what it could be. Healthy and green like all the others, I was really pleased with how all of the cacti looked in this garden. Sometimes you buy a garden and some of them are healthy and others aren't so much. I'm fairly sure that all of these will live.

This was the garden I built myself! Replanting cacti is a complete pain in the ass, they are super root-bound to their starter pots, and are really really hard to handle. I got poked many times replanting (even with heavy duty gloves) and spent about a half an hour picking things out of my skin. I think it turned out nicely though! I tried to put 3 contrasting cacti that worked well with each other in the same space. Unlike the premade cactus garden, there is lots of space between each plant. This gives them a lot more room to grow in their pots and get bigger, I won't have to replant these anytime soon.

The pot on this said "Catterpillar Cactus", but I'm not so sure. This thing is a complete and utter devil, by the way. Hardest replant I've ever had to do, it was responsible for 99% of the thorns in me today. It looks fuzzy, but don't let it fool you, each of the spines stick immediately to the skin. Because of these tiny little spines, a lot of sand and dirt got stuck in it, and it was difficult to clean off. Anyways, it looks healthy, and it has 3 nice yellow, papery flowers on it.

These are called Fairy Castles, or Cereus Tetragonus. This was a really nice looking individual, and it was under 5 USD. They look intimidating, but the spines are too small to pierce the skin and they are easy to handle. They are slightly frail, however.

Last, we have the very attractive Moon Cactus. The red growth on the top does not occur naturally, and it has to be grafted onto the stocky green cactus on the bottom. You have to be careful handling them, because the top can fall off easily. I really liked the combo red-yellow coloring on the top of this one, but getting it home was a complete pain because it wasn't stable in its pot. Sorry it's a little dirty!

Hope you enjoyed!

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
More Cacti! :D

I like the idea, is it possible that you could get them all in one shot?

Here is the entire gang. Today I removed the strawflowers from my store-bought cacti. Strawflowers are real flowers that grow on some other type of plant, but are unique in the fact that they keep their color many months after being dead, and can open and close depending on the humidity. Many people mistake these flowers for actual cacti flowers, but in reality cacti only bloom for a maximum of about 1-2 days and it is difficult to say the least to get the cacti to do so. Most strawflowers are superglued onto the cactus, which doesn't harm it directly, but pulling the flower off can damage it. I managed to remove all of the pink flower without damaging the round cactus, but removing the 3 yellow flowers was much more difficult, and there is still part of it superglued onto it.
The two pots on the sides that I didn't take pictures of earlier are my other cacti. On the left is "Jim", my oldest cactus. He has grown about 1 1/2 inches since I purchased him, the dark green growth is all in the past year or so. I've had him for 6 years, and I don't know how old he was before that. In the other pot are two cacti and a pseudo cactus, which is actually a succulent. The succulent is the long droppy one called a Christmas Cactus. There is also a stout little cactus in there, that is rather plain. Lastly there are the buds of my dead Opuntia microdasys. I don't know why it died, I suspect it was from disease as it was doing fine, and went downhill from green to completely brown and infected in about 24 hours, there was nothing I could do to help it. Anyways, the little buds on it weren't affected, so I replanted them and they are now doing fine. I was very saddened when it died, as it was one of my favorites. Here is what it looked like when it was alive:

And here is what is left of it:

I am thankful that the buds are doing well now, one of them is even beginning to bud again.

I also put the two succulents I purchased that day in the shot. The green one was a sorry little thing, bargain bin at the local Big Lots, 45 cents, mostly dead. I don't have another pot to put him in at the moment, but he seems to be doing alright now that he isn't in the cold and has been watered some. I don't know if he'll make it though. The pink one is a Pink Star, which is a succulent ivy.

Lastly, here are some darkish shots of my other two succulents, my Jade plants. This first one is very very large and was actually my grandmothers, I inherited it when she died. It is much older than me, I believe it is 35 years old?

This other one is much smaller, but is still about 6-7 years old. I grew this one from a single leaf. For those not familiar with succulents, if a leaf or branch falls of of it, you can plant it in the ground and it will begin growing again. This one was made with a leaf of the bigger one I just showed you.

Hope you enjoyed again.

The Clefairy is a nice blend of techniques! I like it! Lots. The Ampharos is cool too, chilling like that...though the folded leg is a little odd, it's still a great pic as usual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)