1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

np: BW OU Suspect Testing Round 11 - Genie in a Bottle [Landorus is now Uber]

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Iconic, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconic

Iconic
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hi friends! Our next suspect is Landorus-I. In order to vote, you must obtain a Glicko2 rating of 2000 or higher and a Glicko2 deviation of 65 or lower on the "OU (suspect test)" ladder AND the normal OU ladder. Like our Genesect test, there will be two ladders: one with Landorus-I banned (OU (suspect test)), and one with the current tiering (regular OU). Note that the normal OU ladder ratings will be saved and be put back upon completion of the suspect test. Here is a schedule for the round:
    • Friday, June 14th: OU (suspect test) ladder is created and OU ladder is reset
    • Sunday, June 30th: The Suspect Round ends. A screenshot of the ladder will be posted at that time in the Voter Identification thread.
    • Monday, July 1st: Special applications are due, and the voting thread will be posted. It will most likely be up for around two days.

A Voter Identification thread will be posted a few days before the end of the round to have all the qualified voters in one thread. Be sure to take a screencap of your rankings once you reach the 2000 +/- 65 threshold. Have fun friends!

[youtube]kIDWgqDBNXA[/youtube]

Blacklisted users:
    -Curtains

PS: Keldeo is being tested after this round!

fuk iconic
    NoJohns, crobats and Erico9001 like this.
  2. PttP

PttP Shoutout to the sidewalk for keeping me off the streets
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

lol harsha is the shit
  3. MikeDawg

MikeDawg get me some of that good good
    is a Tiering Contributor

When is it expected that the ladder will be up? :) I'm excited. This is the first suspect test I've been here for :P

In any case, if I make requirements I will be voting to ban.

While individually I don't think it's too big of a deal, with all of the very common and available support it both gives and receives, it certainly isn't healthy for the metagame and should not be a part of it.
  4. dice

dice practitioner of the city
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

i guess pony is gonna stay.. :(

oh well, it'll be an interesting meta without lando
  5. Meru

Meru
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Is the current ladder gonna be reset? I feel like I'd wanna do the current ladder where people are actually fighting to prove Landorus is broken through actually using him and showing me his broken teams. If it's the current ladder, I'll feel like nobody did that and that the suspect ladder will just be the same thing...
  6. Halcyon.

Halcyon. Come on, she's not burned; she's just gone.
    is a Contributor to Smogon

God damn, I hate laddering...but playing in a meta without Landorus will be interesting to say the least.
  7. Jayde

Jayde
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

voting ban because it's ugly
  8. ginganinja

ginganinja Member of the Gamefreak ORAS Balancing Team
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Your ladder rankings will be saved and a current OU ladder set up. This effectively means you keep your rankings but are able to play on Landorus and Landorus free ladders with clean rankings. You are able to play on the proper OU ladder when the suspect test finishes (hopefully that's clear or something)
  9. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Pony is being tested next. I'll add that to the OP. We decided it'd be better to test them individually, since the last joint test (Torn-T/Keldeo) was a bad idea in retrospect.
  10. Scarface

Scarface

Not fucking bad, I have to make reqs in two ladders.
  11. dinodino56

dinodino56

This will be interesting a Metagame without Landorus-I seems pretty fun. If Landorus-I and Keldeo both get banned, what would be the new threat to defeat?(cough, cough, Terrakion)
  12. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

13. ModestGarchomp

ModestGarchomp

Ps- Theorymon people don't make this thread as bad as the previous ones.
  14. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

How many battles should one play on the ladder before they give up and or try again on a different alt? Last time I attempted to get regs, I must have played 300+ battles over the course of 3 weeks only to cap at 1900.

Any other tips and tricks for laddering are appreciated, as whatever I have done in the past clearly hasn't been working.
  15. dice

dice practitioner of the city
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

thanks for clarifying jabba!
  16. Halcyon.

Halcyon. Come on, she's not burned; she's just gone.
    is a Contributor to Smogon

I can see Thundurus-T replacing Landorus-I if it gets banned.

But I think we should move the discussion to the actual issue at hand, and not the future metagame. Personally, I've never had any real trouble beating Landorus. I think that, although it can O-2HKO most of the meta, a lot of those things are 2HKOs and not OHKOs, meaning that it is quite susceptible to revenge killing, even after it's set up. And remember, it has to take a turn to set up to +2, so if you can send in Ice beam politoed to tank a hit and KO back, it can absolutely switch out and try to sweep again. The problem with that is that even though it can switch out, it will again have to spend a turn setting up, leaving it open to being attacked itself. I find that I not only have hard counters to Landorus on most of my teams (Celebi, Latias, Rotom-W, etc.), but also a bunch of things that can tank a hit and KO back. I guess I just can't put Landorus at the same level as something like Genesect or Tornadus-T, which were definitely broken in my opinion. Can someone explain to me why they think it is as broken as people say? I feel like a lot of people think it's "broken as shit," and I just don't see it. I'd appreciate some insight.
  17. TGMD

TGMD +Biosci: you both gave me crabs
    is a Tutoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Tournament Winner

I recommend restarting over and over again until you have an early winning streak of at least 5 on suspect and 9 on current. And if you lose to a multiple low ranked players immediately after that streak I suggest starting over also. Overall, it makes a huge difference later on if you don't get the most out of the early points.
  18. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

If your deviation is close to the requirement (say deviation of 70), but if you're glicko2 rating is lower than 1900, you may be better off starting a new alt.

I also probably wont ladder too heavily early in the period, because then your rating would plateau before the ladder inflation starts to kick in to boost your rating. 3-5 games the first few days should keep you safe from this problem.

I'd also like a good start when I ladder for reqs. If your first 10 games were 5 wins and 5 losses or worse, I'd start over.

IDK if any of this hold water, but this is what I sorta do to acquire reqs.
  19. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

20. The Unlucky one

The Unlucky one

Keldeo first imo would be better. Ebelt is just so annoying. LGI anyway
  21. AfroThunderRule

AfroThunderRule *yawn* ez

I'm prob too lazy to do this but if you're going to take this seriously then you should really win like 80/90% of your early matches. If you're like 6-4 in your first 10 matches, while that seems like a good ratio, I would probably restart.

Also if I were you I'll probably wait until the last week to do this due to ladder inflation.

Good luck everyone and have fun. :o
  22. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo I am hungry
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Man, I like suspect testing so much I'll start playing this piece of crap called OU again. (I was almost sure you guys weren't doing any more suspect tests)

Real quick though, is there still no indication of a Sand Force Lando vs a Sheer Force one? I remember there was talk of implementing Dream Balls or something because of just how nasty a surprise responding to an assumed Sheer Force set when in reality it was a physical Sand Force variant. Is this something that will eventually be addressed or should I go ahead and factor it in to my ultimate decision?
  23. LilOuOn

LilOuOn

Oh shit.

Is it +-65 or +-55? Harsha mentioned both in the OP.
  24. AfroThunderRule

AfroThunderRule *yawn* ez

i think it's 65. IIRC it was 65 the last time there was two ladders. The rest was just some copy pasta
  25. Hollywood

Hollywood 12/10 personality
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

To my knowledge, it's the former.

Also Lando strong. gl hf
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)