NP: UU - Bye Bye Bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
I think if anything stall has gotten 987654 times harder this metagame. No Umbreon and there is still Dugtrio around. People are using weird gimmicks like Passho Plot Houndoom, Beat Up stuff and stall breakers like NP Croak etc. I tried playing stall and I couldn't consistently win simply because offense now has too many powerful options (likely because of new discoveries), and stall has not enough walling options. Stuff like Sub / Cb Rhyperior, NP Magious and stuff is super annoying and hard to beat. Offense is definitely the most consistent thing to play.

edit: UU leader board is a joke its easy to get accounts to 1760+ if you have the time and a good team. The player pool on ladder isn't that good imo, and with all the anti stall stuff and pokemon people consider to be too good for UU some big UU guys aren't playing.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree its hard to find a combination of Pokemon that allow you to check a myriad of threats. With all the new threats popping up, its going to be hard to check nearly everything. The only viable stall team I've seen was ToF's but I still see some gaping weakness in his team. Point is, stall is not that effective this round and the ladder speaks for itself -- top 5 runs offense/bulky offense. I don't enjoy this metagame that much tbh.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I love the fact that stall isn't nearly as viable as before, although I'm curious as to how you stall players lose your Milotic. Does Croak mess it up? I know ToF or some other good stall player ran HP Psychic on Milotic/Blastoise a while back, so maybe try that? What else gets past Milotic..? Because I can't think of anything that can get past Milotic that isn't immediately walled by something else on a standard stall team.

I love the fact that stall isn't nearly as viable as before, although I'm curious as to how you stall players lose your Milotic. Does Croak mess it up? I know ToF or some other good stall player ran HP Psychic on Milotic/Blastoise a while back, so maybe try that? What else gets past Milotic..? Because I can't think of anything that can get past Milotic that isn't immediately walled by something else on a standard stall team.
Really I think it's just the two-man combos that are used to take it down. Things like Rhyperior + Houndoom who aren't really walled by anything else (run like Beat Up or something on Doom) and can still get past Milotic.

Jolly CB Aggron isn't a bad way to deal with Milotic. Obviously you'll meet their bulky Grounds first, but honestly they aren't too much of an issue. Aqua Tail / Ice Punch takes them out pretty easily, and since the standard Donphan is comfortably 3HKO'ed by Head Smash, it's pretty feasible to get by Donphan by only spamming Head Smash. Milotic takes 69.5% - 81.9% from Head Smash, and is outsped by a very good margin, so if they switch in Milotic they will be quite screwed. A smart player probably won't switch in Milotic on CB Aggron, but Milotic is a good answer to SubPunch and Rock Polish sets, so you may just lure it anyway. At any rate, it's definitely worth trying if you have Milotic troubles, as it outspeeds, only needs it weakened about a quarter to OHKO, and can 2HKO on the switch. I haven't seen many CB Aggron lately, but due to what I just mentioned I think it has a definite niche in this metagame. Just don't switch it in on U-turns at the beginning of the game, or you're likely to get killed by Dugtrio.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow... It's a bit off topic but...
Just wow. Does my hypocrisy know no bounds? I've bashed Ambipom plenty of time's in the past but... no more. This pokemon is good. Seriously, If you don't sac it (IE taunt on something that can hurt) it's really, really good. That Fake Out + Return is really killer late game and taunting everything in sight is just too good to pass up. Hell, maybe I shouldn't use it as a lead at all. Revenge killing nearly everything is just plain awesome.

Don't run Low kick. Run Payback, it's far more useful.

PS: I'm looking for a bulky Choice Scarf Rotom EV spread.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
CB Rhyperior lol

Sometimes Milotic players recover instead of attacking. WHOOPS.

Or they attack and I switch to something that forces Milo out. Dead Milotic :(

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
CB Aggron really doesn't appeal to me. CB Rhyperior seems interesting though, especially since people are running moar SDEF on their Milotic these days. But Subperior is so awesome ;_;

What beats my stall team: Critical Hits, and whatever team Folgorio ran against me in SPL. Also Calm Mind Clefable, but Clefable is generally a bitch to stall. Try all-out-attacker Clefable too against stall, works wonders.

Usually the thing that defines a win or loss for stall teams is whether Rhyperior crits an important team member.

Nonetheless, the fact that I lose more nowadays isn't even bothersome to me. Of course I like to win more than the next guy, but I remember last year just absolutely crushing everyone because of the abundance of one-ghost stall teams and my ability to pick them apart all the time. At least now the metagame has developed and a lot of stall-breakers exist that absolutely mess up stall teams, including but not limited to NP Houndoom, Rhyperior, SD Kabutops, etc. Lots more team-types are viable and I guess that makes the metagame more enjoyable.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Is there anything in this metagame that even walls Rhyperior? And I don't mean takes a hit and KOs back but endlessly walls Rhyperior? Assuming RP/Megahorn/SE/EQ@Life Orb

Is there anything in this metagame that even walls Rhyperior? And I don't mean takes a hit and KOs back but endlessly walls Rhyperior? Assuming RP/Megahorn/SE/EQ@Life Orb
Milotic is not 2hko by some version and can recover all the damage and ko in return

Checking is enough for Rhyperior.
I mean, it's speed...

So, Milotic and Blastoise (to an extent) are valid. As checks, because nothing walls Rhyperior in UU.

FlareBlitz

So, in the interest of being fair to Milotic I made a team with 4 sweepers that are all capable of killing it with ease and are completely viable outside of that. If this team is successful then it'll be apparent to me that people are just lazy and not preparing for it. If not...we'll see.

Blastoise does even better usually, but needs restalk to come in continuously.

EDIT:
So, in the interest of being fair to Milotic I made a team with 4 sweepers that are all capable of killing it with ease and are completely viable outside of that. If this team is successful then it'll be apparent to me that people are just lazy and not preparing for it. If not...we'll see.
See, I think this is why people have trouble with Milotic, just lazy team building. Obviously if you make a team who's only offensive pokemon are Blaziken/ Azumarill/ Rhyperior, you're gonna have trouble breaking Milotic. It's really just a necessary thing to think of "what do I switch in when Milotic pops up...". And DON'T say that that's 'centralization meaning it's broken'. When you don't prepare for the #2 most used pokemon that happens to wall half your team, then you should be losing.
Just use mostly sweepers that can take out Milotic on their own. I use LO Venusaur, Hitmonlee, Scarf Rotom and Swellow, who for the most part, don't cry when Milotic comes in, and aren't deadweight against every other wall.

Well, yes. But Blastoise needs to avoid Spikes, since it's unlikely for a Rest Talk Blastoise to carry Rapid Spin (and, truth be told, Milotic is a better Rest Talk user. Marvel Scale ftw).

In fact, i believe the closest we have of a Rhyperior counter is a NFE poke.
I think we all know who i'm talking about.

In fact, i believe the closest we have of a Rhyperior counter is a NFE poke.
I think we all know who i'm talking about.
I don't. Bronzor?

Anyways I've been having some fun lately with Gastrodon. It doesn't really matter what the heck comes in, you're going to be able to set some sweeper up 100% of the time with at least one boost. Use that turn wisely.

Gastrodon@Leftovers/Rindo Berry/Lum Berry
252HP/132Def/124SpD - Calm
~ Block
~ Yawn
~ Protect
~ Memento

Pretty dang bulky with good defensive typing. I usually just Yawn the first switch because it's usually Venu/Grass type that'll beat you then I Block the next switch. Yawn the next turn. They can't switch. If they're going to Roar or something, Protect so they go to sleep, then use the free turn to switch to a devastating setup sweeper. If they're going to attack, Momento so you die and lower thier attack stats and again go to a setup sweeper. Have fun raping. Doesn't need dual screens but it's even better if you can get them up.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Weezing isn't even a Rhyperior counter...

Edit: I'm pretty sure he was joking about Bronzor, and Gligar isn't a counter as well. I hope this wasn't a troll...

Never said it was. I'm just saying it's better than any NFE I could think of.

Gligar? Just as neutral to Stone Edge as Weezing, but with less defense. Bronzor? 252/252 Impish Bronzor has a 96.38% chance of being 2HKO'd with Megahorn and Stealth Rock. At least Weezing can try and burn it or something, although it's 2HKO'd if it switches into Stone Edge too... unless you want to run 92 Spe to try and outpace Adamant versions (yeah right).

Edit: Joking or not, it is one of the only dudes that I can think of that would have some merit. You can't troll me I'm the gingerbread man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)