np: UU - Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't call Pikachu bad because of its defenses then push for Raichu. 60/55/80 vs 35/30/40 might be different, but both are pretty freaking bad. If you're looking for a fast encore with little bulk, use Jumpluff or Alakazam. SubEncoreZam tears apart so much crap right now. Raichu as far as sweeping potential is beat by so many other pokes it's not even funny, but especially Raikou. As a SubPuncher, Azumarill outclasses it along with Poliwrath and heck even Pikachu would do that job better since Sub is blocking hits.

Alakazam even gets Focus Punch if you want to abuse it's monstrous base 50 attack, although a +1 Modest Focus Blast 2HKO's Chansey if it hits. It can get +1 through Charge Beam or Calm Mind.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You can't call Pikachu bad because of its defenses then push for Raichu. 60/55/80 vs 35/30/40 might be different, but both are pretty freaking bad. If you're looking for a fast encore with little bulk, use Jumpluff or Alakazam. SubEncoreZam tears apart so much crap right now. Raichu as far as sweeping potential is beat by so many other pokes it's not even funny, but especially Raikou. As a SubPuncher, Azumarill outclasses it along with Poliwrath and heck even Pikachu would do that job better since Sub is blocking hits.

Alakazam even gets Focus Punch if you want to abuse it's monstrous base 50 attack, although a +1 Modest Focus Blast 2HKO's Chansey if it hits. It can get +1 through Charge Beam or Calm Mind.
No, Raichu has bad defense but Pikachu's defenses are atrocious. Raichu can actually switch into NP Toxicroak and survive a 2+ Vacuum wave and KO with Volt Tackle (if it ops for it)

I don't use Raichu as an encorer as his main job, simply as a side option (which frankly can get the job done) I use it along with his Subpunch set. Outclassed by Poliwrath? Don't even joke, his awful speed means that he isn't encoring as much as Raichu, hell he is even weaker than Raichu, but he does admitedly have an amazing ability, and great defensive stats.

If I wanted to look at his (admitedly gimmicky) encore set for what it's worth it's definetely his Wish + Encore combo only known by him.

Subbing with Pikachu is the ONLY way it can be used, as if it doesn't outright KO it's opponent it's going to die. Pikachu is a joke in UU. It's A joke in OU, NU... hell Pikachu is just outright terrible.

You are so misusing the word outclassed. Different, Inferior, sure but outclassed is to strong of a word. I'm not proclaiming that Raichu is a god of a pokemon, mearly different.

Glad to see that your still sporting that hilarious avatar.

Do all of your teams have to have Raichu? I only have one team with Umbreon and Arcanine, my two favorite competitively viable Pokemon. (For anybody wondering, my all time favorite is Growlithe. But you probably weren't wondering. But I don't care. I'm posting this anyway.)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Do all of your teams have to have Raichu? I only have one team with Umbreon and Arcanine, my two favorite competitively viable Pokemon. (For anybody wondering, my all time favorite is Growlithe. But you probably weren't wondering. But I don't care. I'm posting this anyway.)
Nope. Just the good ones.

HAHAHA. No, but seriously, I'm going to incorporate him to at least 2 teams.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, stop with all the Pikachu hating! It's really cool and fun to use. The trick is to just kill the opponent before they kill you. With Light Ball-boosted offensive stats, it's relatively easy.

whistle can attest to the fact that Pikachu is amazing.... Plus I have a log of me sweeping reachzero with Pikachu.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Hey, stop with all the Pikachu hating! It's really cool and fun to use. The trick is to just kill the opponent before they kill you. With Light Ball-boosted offensive stats, it's relatively easy.

whistle can attest to the fact that Pikachu is amazing.... Plus I have a log of me sweeping reachzero with Pikachu.

It's really not that good. Sure in the hands of (your quote is amazing)
"Ballsy/stupid trainer" it can really sweep, but it's pretty limited.

Stopping Pikachu is relatively easy, or else it would be a top tier pokemon.
I can sweep with Raichu any day if the opportunity presents itself.

I dont see Raichu sweeping as/ more easily than Pikachu with much lower offenses and the increase in speed, which will only get you a kill on Moltres.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
I dont see Raichu sweeping as/ more easily than Pikachu with much lower offenses and the increase in speed, which will only get you a kill on Moltres.
Pikachu really isn't sweeping either with those weak Defenses.
The extra speed can between useful in a pinch.

Wolf I wasn't being completely serious.

Pikachu really isn't sweeping either with those weak Defenses.
The extra speed can between useful in a pinch.

Wolf I wasn't being completely serious.

I believe using pikachu vs. raichu is team preference and playing style..some teams dont have to worry about priority moves when using pikachu or wait to scout the opponents team for priority users and make it their priority(haha yes pun intended) to take it out before using pikachu.
Neither is outclassed nor better. they both just play completely different lol

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've actually tried Agility Pikachu in Ubers, and it was fun while I was fighting noobs. Moral of the story is, Pikachu isn't shit, but hard to use.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yay for a duck-free metagame! Time to test out my new team. Incidentally, has anyone tried using SubPetayaBlaze Charizard? It's hot (literally). Capable of ohkoing Moltres.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have, and it's pretty cool if you remove Azumarill and priority from the battle. SunnyBlazePetayaSTAB Fire Blasts are on the verge of SpecsKyogre power. I don't know if you should use Typhlosion for that set though, as he has slight less of an SR weakness (Although for Charizard, one Sub is enough to get him into Petaya zone, and he does have a nice EQ immunty).

So I think I just found a 100% counter for Leading Bulkylasses while messing around with my NU team.

CB Slaking with pursuit. >___>

But I think the froslass was trying to switch when I OHKO'd it. And Slaking kinda fails miserably against sash frossy and just about every other lead. But hey, if you hate froslass, there you go.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That looks like 100% setup bait. Hitmonchan or Hitmontop with Bullet Punch and Pursuit work way better. They get to Rapid Spin right after too.

Hell, anything with Pursuit is better.

I've been using a lead hariyama with payback + Bullet Punch, limiting froslass to set up only 1 layer of spikes, it's been doing good, still looking for some good anti-leads, any suggestions? Anyway, my team is doing good so far; only met 1 rain team, still making changes here and there...anyone tried technitop with rapid spin? If so, does it work well? I saw someone use it on the ladder today, i was curious to see how'd it work because i'd love for my hitmontop to be more offensive and still spin rocks away so moltres can come in more often..

Im just starting uu, doing good so far.

I've been using a lead hariyama with payback + Bullet Punch, limiting froslass to set up only 1 layer of spikes, it's been doing good, still looking for some good anti-leads, any suggestions? Anyway, my team is doing good so far; only met 1 rain team, still making changes here and there...anyone tried technitop with rapid spin? If so, does it work well? I saw someone use it on the ladder today, i was curious to see how'd it work because i'd love for my hitmontop to be more offensive and still spin rocks away so moltres can come in more often..
I have been using an anti Jumpluff lead for a while and it is amazing (you only loose against Ambipom, Froslass and Alakazam so having a good Pursuiter on your team is great). If used correctly Froslass cannot get a layer of spikes up as Froslass will ALWAYS use Ice Beam against Jumpluff (speed tie) so you can just go to your Pursuiter and Pursuit Froslass to death, if Froslass decides to stay in she will die the next turn (if she has Focus Sash) so she will get a maximum of 2 layers up but Froslass will die in the procces and since Froslass is also the spin blocker on most teams it is easy to spin these away some time later.

While I wasn't here during the Yanmega metagame, I could easily tell how extremely powerful it must've been. So with that in mind, I tried creating a team based on the dragonfly's little brother: Venomoth. Specifically, the Specs set. It's worked with mixed results, the problem is getting a safe switch-in with Venomoth's frailness. I usually switch it in whenever I get the chance (which never works, because then they switch to a hard counter).

I'd like it if some of you guys could help me test him out, cause I really think Venomoth has some great potential. The team is:

Mesprit - Rotom - Blaziken - Blastoise - Swellow - Venomoth

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I mentioned this in the other thread, but Venomoth really likes a Life Orb set with Sleep Powder and/or Roost. They switch to a hard counter? Put it to bed. You could probably even work in Sleep Powder on the Specs set, but you'd need to switch out immediately afterwards and take SR damage on the way in again...

Venomoth's, and formerly Yanmega's, two toughest counters are definitely Chansey and Registeel. Dugtrio can be great in taking out both nearly guaranteed (can't switch in on Registeel Iron Head, and some Chansey and Registeel run Shed Shell). Tinted Lens is such a cool ability because it means that Fire types have a hard time switching in, with both STAB moves hitting for neutral damage, except Moltres who takes a minimum 58% from Sludge Bomb. Bug/Poison is a shitty type for switching in, but the 4x resists to Grass and Fighting are pretty handy in UU, meaning you can take on stuff like Venusaur, Hitmontop, and Hariyama, outspeed, and deal heavy damage. I never knew that Venomoth had base 90 speed, which is awesome for UU as it outruns all the base 85s and neutral nature 95s. Sludge Bomb/Bug Buzz/Sleep Powder are givens. Psychic seems alright in the last slot because you can take out the above mentioned pokemon easier than with Sludge Bomb, but it's a bad type to be locked into. Baton Pass is cool for scouting counters and going to Dugtrio. Your pick.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but Venomoth really likes a Life Orb set with Sleep Powder and/or Roost. They switch to a hard counter? Put it to bed. You could probably even work in Sleep Powder on the Specs set, but you'd need to switch out immediately afterwards and take SR damage on the way in again...
The Specs set will always be switching anyway. Just run Rapid Spin support. Personally, I like the Specs set for the raw power, but if you like the Life Orb set, that's cool too. I just want to give Venomoth a chance to shine all around. If we test it enough, maybe we could even write a new analysis on it (okay, maybe not, but we can dream).

I think reachzero has been using a Venomoth @ Insect Plate on and off basically so he can Sleep Powder then attack with "partially" boosted attacks without switching out.

Venomoth isn't nearly as good as Yanmega due to its significantly lower SAtk (it's 18.6% weaker), which was needed to get lots of 2HKOs and to threaten the 2HKO on Milotic with residual damage. other obvious factors are lower Speed/Defense but I think the most important is the Special Attack.

but I shall mess around with Venomoth too! It's definitely pretty good I'm just saying don't expect anything Yanmega-like.

dude you look kinda Raikou weak

Actually, I beat a guy who had a Raikou Baton Passed +2 Sp. Atk and +2 Speed. I sacrificed three Pokemon to get Life Orb recoil, with Swellow using Quick Attack for more damage. By then, Blaziken's Vacuum Wave finished it off. I actually ended up winning the battle. I guess without Life Orb and with Substitute it might be a bit more challenging. What do you recommened I replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)