np: UU - Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just cried when dugtrio switched into my Venu's scarf sleep powder (not literally). As Bluewind asked earlier, is their any criteria or anything for upper req paras? I'm assuming there should be or some people are just gonna write "Moltres is BL. I swear to god it is."
I mean, if you wrote a nomination then it will undoubtedly be less writing then that, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In the mean team I'll try and track reach/jabba down on irc to get a definite answer.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Aggron is only really better than Rhyperior on offensive teams that need Steel's resistances to a couple of types they don't already have covered. In this case, it would probably be Banded. I'm considering doubling up on Rock Polish Aggron and Rhyperior though, as they have the same, easily weakenable counters.

That kind of strategy works quite well, actually, right now. Magmortar and Moltres make a pretty good duo, especially with Spikes, as Magmortar can take out a lot of Moltres' 'checks' and lure in many of the same revenge killers. It doesn't need much attack to 2HKO Chansey using Cross Chop with some hazard support. Bulky waters die to Thunderbolt - speaking from NU experience, it even 2HKOs Slowking with some hazard support. Slowbro and Physically Defensive Milotic fare no better.

Ryu is a better partner.

Sorry for the lame joke lol

Anyway: i haven't seen LO Milotics for a while. They are cool, mainly because it lols at Venusaur switches.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ryu is a better partner.

Sorry for the lame joke lol

Anyway: i haven't seen LO Milotics for a while. They are cool, mainly because it lols at Venusaur switches.
._____.

Anyways, maybe because Moltres is everywhere, and Milotic cannot afford to be 2HKOed.

I feel like the only one using it. :(

It really is amazing at offense, too. Great at providing a false image of Stall with Registeel (so many accused me of playing Stall it's not even funny...).

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using Specs Milotic to some great results. So many people switch in stuff like Venusaur only to get 2HKO'd. Basically treat Specs Milotic as a weaker Specs Gorebyss who doesn't suck outside of rain.

I've been using Specs Milotic to some great results. So many people switch in stuff like Venusaur only to get 2HKO'd. Basically treat Specs Milotic as a weaker Specs Gorebyss who doesn't suck outside of rain.
putting specs on bulky waters seems to work well; I just tested specs blastoise for QC and it was surprisingly not bad. The amount of rotoms and froslass that I ohkoed was hilarious.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Upper requirements is ~3 sentences or even less. I really just want a general, short sense of why you're voting the way you are. I just have a problem with letting anyone vote without any explanation. It should just be a very summarized sense of a longer paragraph. So say for Froslass being UU, "Doesn't get spikes down easier than other spikers. It's frail so it has trouble in a role outside a lead position where it can easily be contained." That's what i'm looking for from upper reqers

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we want to abstain from a vote, we just don't submit a paragraph for that Suspect, right?? For lower requirement paragraphs, would it be similar to the OU Suspect paragraphs??

I've found RP Rhyperior and RP Torterra on a hyper offense team to be amazing. I usually set up with Rhyperior first because he hits harder, and is more vulnerable to priority. It also lets me weaken things like Milotic to the point that I can switch in Raikou, fish myself a Registeel out, then set up Torterra. It really messes up a lot of teams who rely on Regi-lotic to be their glue.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If we want to abstain from a vote, we just don't submit a paragraph for that Suspect, right?? For lower requirement paragraphs, would it be similar to the OU Suspect paragraphs??
Obviously.

And yeah pretty similar. I don't know what the standard comparison is, but just be aware that we generally require a fairly high standard of paragraph in terms of sound reasoning.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, I've had some good ole Saturday morning Shoddying:

~Omastar is still a pretty kickass pokemon in general. It gets SR AND Spikes down on a couple of leads (so 25% per switch in) and is a great pokemon in general. (hard counter physical Arcanine like a champ) Surf's from Omastar (especially when invested) hurt, capable of typically OHKO Moltres and denting most offensive pokemon. I've experimented with Rindo berry Omastar. It's funny to KO Moltres, but the it's not worth tossing Leftovers up for ONE pokemon.

SD Leafeon is still a fantastic sweeper. With fantastic offensive stats (110 Atk and 95 speed) it can really tear up the metagame. I mean seriously the amount of Moltres who switch in on SD is ludicrous. 2+ Return gets them every time. As Franky put it, it has effectively 3 counters (well Venusaur is a great check) being
Steelix/Registeel/Weezing (SpD Venusaur too)
It's ludicrous defense mean's it can take a good amount of physical punishment too. It can setup on a good deal of pokemon too.

This thing rocks and more people should use it.

-Curse Umbreon is still a monster. If your fighters are gone and it's got 2 curses it's GG. I'm actually furious that it's close to being OU, and if the trends continue It might rise to OU. (grr)

-Sunny Day Ninetails is actually pretty neat. It's the bulkiest Sunny Dayer, and with Nasty Plot it can really hurt the opposition. You guys should give it a shot.

I reached the rating requirements a few days too late playing a heavily flawed team based off the team I played during the Cresselia / Porygonz metagame ... the experience really showed me why I stopped playing as much: just too much pressure, and making a good team takes too much time. I want to play, except I know my team has flaws that aren't easily fixed (sigh). At the same time, I don't want to play, because I'm afraid of losing (even deeper sigh).

Anyway ...

Umbreon can be forced out by phazing. I've noticed that some teams have stopped running phazers. Weird, because I find myself relying on Roar / Whirlwind to get rid of Pokemon behind Substitutes a fair bit.

I've been using Sunnybeam Moltres a bit. It's a great Pokemon, capable of removing Rain / Sandstorm / Hail (beat some teams like that - they see I'm not running Rain / Sun and so assume I have no weather, letting Snover die, after which Sunnybeam Moltres sweeps their team easily). Aside from the persistent 50% weakness to Stealth Rock, there's only one problem. Fire + Grass is handily walled by opposing fire types. Pokemon with Flash Fire are especially bad. You are forced to use Solarbeam, which in turn boosts their fire attacks to use on you. I'd imagine the same problem exists for Sunny Day Ninetales. Switching loses you your Nasty Plot boosts, while you'd have set up the sun for their Fire sweepers, and you might've lost 25% HP to Stealth Rock without recovery.

On the other hand, since Fire is a bad defensive type there usually aren't defensive Fire Pokemon around. And since Fire is weak to Stealth Rock, SR can really really really aid a sweep here.

I reached the rating requirements a few days too late playing a heavily flawed team based off the team I played during the Cresselia / Porygonz metagame ... the experience really showed me why I stopped playing as much: just too much pressure, and making a good team takes too much time. I want to play, except I know my team has flaws that aren't easily fixed (sigh). At the same time, I don't want to play, because I'm afraid of losing (even deeper sigh).
Amen to that, brother. I'm waiting until the round is over to start playing again. I really need the Battling 101 line to go quicker. >.>

~Omastar is still a pretty kickass pokemon in general. It gets SR AND Spikes down on a couple of leads (so 25% per switch in) and is a great pokemon in general. (hard counter physical Arcanine like a champ) Surf's from Omastar (especially when invested) hurt, capable of typically OHKO Moltres and denting most offensive pokemon. I've experimented with Rindo berry Omastar. It's funny to KO Moltres, but the it's not worth tossing Leftovers up for ONE pokemon.
Yeah, but with only Surf, Omastar is pretty much dead-weight to any resist.

SD Leafeon is still a fantastic sweeper. With fantastic offensive stats (110 Atk and 95 speed) it can really tear up the metagame. I mean seriously the amount of Moltres who switch in on SD is ludicrous. 2+ Return gets them every time. As Franky put it, it has effectively 3 counters (well Venusaur is a great check) being
Steelix/Registeel/Weezing (SpD Venusaur too)
It's ludicrous defense mean's it can take a good amount of physical punishment too. It can setup on a good deal of pokemon too.

This thing rocks and more people should use it.
It does rock, but it suffers from four-moveslot syndrome. It's difficult to decide whether to use Quick Attack or Synthesis.

-Curse Umbreon is still a monster. If your fighters are gone and it's got 2 curses it's GG. I'm actually furious that it's close to being OU, and if the trends continue It might rise to OU. (grr)
Oh my god, I hate Curse Umbreon. Especially if it's the last Pokemon on the team.

Ice Beam gets walled by bulky Waters. HP Grass/Electric gets walled by Grass-types. While most people would choose Ice Beam, I actually prefer HP Grass because Milotic is much more common than most Grass-types. I choose it over HP Electric because Mantine is non-existant.

Speaking of spikers have any of you tried qwilfish. Seriously with its good typing it can get spikes ups; specifically on bulky waters which are on almost everyteam.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ice Beam gets walled by bulky Waters. HP Grass/Electric gets walled by Grass-types. While most people would choose Ice Beam, I actually prefer HP Grass because Milotic is much more common than most Grass-types. I choose it over HP Electric because Mantine is non-existant.
I really don't understand your reasoning. Hidden Power Grass from utility Omastar does a measly 23.9% - 28.5% to standard Milotic. You are NOT going to be beating Milotic any time soon and should not even risk staying in against it. At least Ice Beam does a respectable 51.2% - 60.5% to offensive Venusaur (or even 107.6% - 126.9% to RP Torterra) if you predict the switch-in correctly (which isn't hard to do with Venusaur's popularity and its willingness to switch-in on Surf).

On stall, people often opt for Surf as their only attack with Rest in the fourth slot to be used alongside Heal Bell Chansey, Altaria, or Umbreon. Omastar should not be trying to go on the offensive unless that is its purpose (read: Rain Dance Sweeper) and instead should be focusing on what it does best, setting up entry hazards on things that do not pose a threat to it: Ambipom, Arcanine without Hidden Power Grass (LO Thunder Fang does 34.3% - 40.7%), etc.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
When would Omastar even risk to use HP Grass? Milotic doesn't give a damn, has HP Grass to KO it back and has recovery; while it still loses to Blastoise on the long run.

Edit: stellar ninja'd me =/

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Haven't been playing at all these past few weeks due to terribad internet, but I'm curious as to what will be the premier spiker once whorelass leaves the tier. Obviously Omastar is the favorite, but I think Glalie could be an interesting one. It has Inner Focus, good coverage moves, decent stats, priority, and can Boom. Also has Ice Body for hail spiking. Thoughts?

Glalie suffers the same 25% SR hit, it lacks recovery (I think), and lacks bulk/resistances to be effective. At least, that's what is coming off the top of my head :P

I'd use Qwilfish. It can abuse Milotic so easily, which is on like every team. Has decent STAB's, Taunt, good speed, and Explosion.

Only thing Glaile has is Spikes + Explosion (and then, Cloyster... well...).
Inner Focus is cool and all, but Cloyster can survive those with ease.

Priority? Cloyster also has.
Well, Glaile can hit harder than Cloyster, right? Negative.

So..
At least Glaile isn't that frail on the special side, or is weak to electric/grass attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)