np: UU Stage 3 - We Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone running trickband spiritomb? In theorymon he beats Zam and gives Chandy headaches as well. A modified set of trick/wow/pursuit/suckerpunch is specialized but gives him the ability to really neuter an enemy team. The choice band is tricked to special walls and he switches into the likes of Snorlax, stoutland, machamp and tosses out the burn. It's not a perfect idea but being able to check common threats like Zam, Victini, the three attackers above, cripple walls, and spinblock is something I dont think another poke in the tier can do (off the top of my head)
trickscarf mismagius sorta does that, but is less bulky

trickscarf mismagius sorta does that, but is less bulky
Alakazam, Chandelure, and victini can switch out at no consequence due to lack of pursuit. Spiritomb is immune to both psychic and fighting so provides more switch in opportunity to Zam. Plus I prefer giving walls a band so they can't mess with my slower pokemon. On a more offensive team I can see Missy but I was thinking of bulky offense/balanced when I thought of tomb.

I actually want to try that Resttalk Blastoise set out, but it doesn't sound like it'd be viable on anything but full stall. Offensive teams really need Roar.
I pretty much use it on any team that needs spin support because it pretty much lives forever. Lacking Roar/Coverage hurts, but still.

I believe i said once, somewhere out there: the only Blastiose i could ever use with great effect was the offensive spinner.
Wish support can keep it alive. Hydro Pump 2HKO pretty much any ghost except for Dusclops (and maybe Dusknoir, dunno).

something like that:

Blastiose@ Leftovers, Life Orb, Lum Berry, lol Mystic Water
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/HP Electric
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic

It doesn't live that long, but it certainly doesn't become dead weight as it can actually dent the opposition.

And i've tried Rest Talk once... no that hot if you ask me.

Just when you thought you've seen enough sandstorm in OU to compensate for ALL the teirs...

Oh well, cant wait to use tornadus, one of my favourite pokemon, in UU, where most of it's threats and counters are gone :D
Tornadus UU, Landorus OU, Thundurus Uber. The difference between the three are just too numerous.

Well it is forced out but Pursuit does not do that much to it, where as Heracross can actually Pursuit and KO other Ghosts. Not bait by any means.

I mean I used Specs last gen because I hated Band, Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse / Trick / Pursuit or something (I had Hidden Power in there somewhere I forget). It definitely still KOes Zam with Pursuit as well as not giving Snorlax a big bad Choice Band when it comes in.

so far, no poke is really bothering me. Hippo is prolly the biggest problem cuz sandstall is much more efficient then hail stall.
But mehhhhhh, its not much of a big deal. I really like P2 cuz its the best chandelure counter out there.

so far, no poke is really bothering me. Hippo is prolly the biggest problem cuz sandstall is much more efficient then hail stall.
But mehhhhhh, its not much of a big deal. I really like P2 cuz its the best chandelure counter out there.
sand has defintely gotten a bigger upgrade with hippodown...no longer does sand have to lose a team slot just to utilize sand..It has fit well into UU, but nothing too extreme

A few random thoughts on the new metagame:

1. Chandelure is a big menace. It has few solid counters in the tier. It seems it only has one, really: Snorlax. A few other Pokemon, like Empoleon, can take a hit and strike back but without reliable recovery it will die eventually; it's a matter of whether Chandelure dies to SR first or not. As for Porygon2, it's really quite hilarious when Porygon2 loses because Chandelure's using Flame Body instead of Flash Fire.
2. The most stupid set ever (Froslass @ Snow Cloak /w Hail, Blizzard / Spikes / Substitute / Thunder Wave) is still as stupid as ever. Jeez. I'm tempted to nominate Snow Warning + Snow Cloak this round, even though hail is a lot less dominating in this meta.
3. Rotom-F in hail has surprisingly few counters. There's Snorlax (again), Registeel, and not that much more. Chansey suffers from hail's constant damage, same as Porygon2. What has everyone been using to cover Rotom-F?
4. Alakazam's proving a powerful contender in the metagame. Like Breludicolo, I've been most afraid of the Sash set. Living two hits off one of the highest SpA stats in the game is not easy, and Alakazam is blindingly fast too. It can also revenge just about every Pokemon in the meta. I wonder if it will go to OU?
5. Sand got a lot stronger with Hippowdon in the tier, but like jamashawalker, I haven't found it too overwhelming.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Why would anyone consider running Flame Body over Flash Fire on Chandelure? Yeah you can troll P2, but Toxic Spikes already nearly shuts him down and it can't threaten shit so switching out isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, Flash Fire lets you check Choiced Darmanitan and Victini (to the point where they pretty never use fire attacks when Chandelure is in play)

I haven't seen anyone use FB over Flash Fire on the ladder yet, but anyone who does is seriously making a big mistake.

Personally, I think Machamp is top or high tier in UU. It can straight up beat any non ghost physical wall in the game 1 on 1. That alone is insane, and teams struggle to check it because of Dynamicpunch. The set i was using was sub + 3 attacks. (sub / dpunch / stone edge / ice punch)

Really, people should use Stone Edge over Payback (which is honestly kind of useless in gen V) you hit ghost types on the switch with the same BP, and you absolutely murder bulky flying types like Zapdos with SE.

Personally, I think Machamp is top or high tier in UU. It can straight up beat any non ghost physical wall in the game 1 on 1. That alone is insane, and teams struggle to check it because of Dynamicpunch. The set i was using was sub + 3 attacks. (sub / dpunch / stone edge / ice punch)
Does Slowbro beat it 1 on 1?

It has a massive HP and Def stat and a resistance too 2 of your moves and a nuetrality too your 3rd, along with slack off.

I peronally prefer Heracross. I might experiment with machamp later, though.

Why would anyone consider running Flame Body over Flash Fire on Chandelure? Yeah you can troll P2, but Toxic Spikes already nearly shuts him down and it can't threaten shit so switching out isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, Flash Fire lets you check Choiced Darmanitan and Victini (to the point where they pretty never use fire attacks when Chandelure is in play)

I haven't seen anyone use FB over Flash Fire on the ladder yet, but anyone who does is seriously making a big mistake.

Really, people should use Stone Edge over Payback (which is honestly kind of useless in gen V) you hit ghost types on the switch with the same BP, and you absolutely murder bulky flying types like Zapdos with SE.
I feel like Ice Punch is kind of redundant with Stone Edge this gen, Dynamic Punch hits most things equally hard besides Gligar who does not enjoy confusion and getting drilled by DynamicPunch when it tries to Roost. No more Celebi.

I'd probably use Bulk Up or Toxic (Slowbro) in that last slot anyway.

EDIT: @ Below he specifically said he didn't use Payback...no one should use Payback to be honest. And what if it Substitutes on the switch (most do)? Hippowdon takes a decent chunk from DynamicPunch but its the confusion that really destroys it.

Why else? To psych your opponent out with what may equally be Flash Fire. Simply having a Chandelure can be enough to stop Darmantian and Victini from using their Fire moves, until you reveal that you are Flame Body instead of Flash Fire. But how will you reveal that? You will only reveal that if you burn something with Flame Body (more power to you, you're already at an advantage), opponent switches something with Trace (i.e. Porygon2, which you set up on) or you try to switch into a Fire attack. But you don't have to switch into a Fire attack, and as long as you don't, your opponent won't know.

I've used Chandelure with both Flash Fire and Flame Body and although it could be just my playstyle / team / Chandelure set, I found Flame Body more useful.

As for Machamp, I've found it fairly manageable. Its moves are quite predictable and Payback took a hit this generation. You could, for example, switch to a Fighting resist on the Dynamic Punch, then switch to something faster on the Payback, and Machamp is forced out. I'd also be surprised if Machamp beat 252/252+ Hippowdon. Does it?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I feel like Ice Punch is kind of redundant with Stone Edge this gen, Dynamic Punch hits most things equally hard besides Gligar who does not enjoy confusion and getting drilled by DynamicPunch when it tries to Roost. No more Celebi.

I'd probably use Bulk Up or Toxic (Slowbro) in that last slot anyway.

EDIT: @ Below he specifically said he didn't use Payback...no one should use Payback to be honest. And what if it Substitutes on the switch (most do)? Hippowdon takes a decent chunk from DynamicPunch but its the confusion that really destroys it.
Ice Punch is practically required for Nidoking / Nidoqueen / Roserade who can shrug off your stab and coverage moves otherwise. I don't bother with Toxic because I use Toxic Spikes with Machamp (go figure) and Nidoqueen and friends absorb TS and annoy my team.

Why else? To psych your opponent out with what may equally be Flash Fire. Simply having a Chandelure can be enough to stop Darmantian and Victini from using their Fire moves, until you reveal that you are Flame Body instead of Flash Fire. But how will you reveal that? You will only reveal that if you burn something with Flame Body (more power to you, you're already at an advantage), opponent switches something with Trace (i.e. Porygon2, which you set up on) or you try to switch into a Fire attack. But you don't have to switch into a Fire attack, and as long as you don't, your opponent won't know.
(Shrugs)

I like having Flash Fire as a failsafe. With it, Chandelure can ALWAYS check Darm / Victini (and Moltres too!) plus getting a sweet power boost from WoW Mew is sweet. More power to you though, I guess its useful you wanna beat P2...

As for Machamp, I've found it fairly manageable. Its moves are quite predictable and Payback took a hit this generation. You could, for example, switch to a Fighting resist on the Dynamic Punch, then switch to something faster on the Payback, and Machamp is forced out. I'd also be surprised if Machamp beat 252/252+ Hippowdon. Does it?
:pimp:

Nope. Can't beat that confusion rate, and if smacking it around with Ice Punch means I can always freeze. To date, I don't think my machamp has ever lost to Hippowdon.

Ice Punch is practically required for Nidoking / Nidoqueen / Roserade who can shrug off your stab and coverage moves otherwise. I don't bother with Toxic because I use Toxic Spikes with Machamp (go figure) and Nidoqueen and friends absorb TS and annoy my team.
Even max HP Roserade is 2HKOed by DynamicPunch, but you have a point with Nidoqueen.....I just haven't seen one in a long time.

Pretty lonely up here on the ladder.....

I definitely agree with your first paragraph: Machamp is a powerful Pokemon capable of haxing his way through most of his checks in the tier and/or defeating them with coverage moves, and anyone building a team needs to consider that. (He does have a few counters outside of physically bulky ghosts, though: Slowbro, who's already been mentioned, only loses with significant hax and prior damage [Toxic won't kill him fast enough]; and Weezing, who can handle any of his typical attacks, but who lacks recovery and perhaps enough of an offensive presence to do anything but burn Machamp.)

But I don't think Payback is useless (although I could see why it might be on the sub set you're using). Let's take Mismagius as an example. On the switch-in, SubCM Mismagius takes 66.3-78% damage from Stone Edge or from Payback. So if you predict well, they're equal in that regard, but prediction works both ways: what about when Missy switches in on your Dynamic Punch? Well, Stone Edge still only does that much damage to her, and has a good chance of missing (a chance which can be exploited if your opponent knows you have that move, and fishes for a miss by subbing), while Payback cleanly OHKOs her. An unboosted Shadow Ball 3HKOs most Machamp, however (32.3-38.1% on its lead set), making the difference between choosing Stone Edge and Payback a difference between losing one-third or two-thirds of your life to take out this check (or all of it, if Stone Edge misses just once). Behind a sub, this might not matter, but on any other Machamp set, I'd argue that Payback is extremely viable, reducing the list of ghosts who can check or counter him down to Chandelure (I guess: I'm sure one of its set can OHKO him) and Dusclops.

I definitely agree with your first paragraph: Machamp is a powerful Pokemon capable of haxing his way through most of his checks in the tier and/or defeating them with coverage moves, and anyone building a team needs to consider that. (He does have a few counters outside of physically bulky ghosts, though: Slowbro, who's already been mentioned, only loses with significant hax and prior damage [Toxic won't kill him fast enough]; and Weezing, who can handle any of his typical attacks, but who lacks recovery and perhaps enough of an offensive presence to do anything but burn Machamp.)

But I don't think Payback is useless (although I could see why it might be on the sub set you're using). Let's take Mismagius as an example. On the switch-in, SubCM Mismagius takes 66.3-78% damage from Stone Edge or from Payback. So if you predict well, they're equal in that regard, but prediction works both ways: what about when Missy switches in on your Dynamic Punch? Well, Stone Edge still only does that much damage to her, and has a good chance of missing (a chance which can be exploited if your opponent knows you have that move, and fishes for a miss by subbing), while Payback cleanly OHKOs her. An unboosted Shadow Ball 3HKOs most Machamp, however (32.3-38.1% on its lead set), making the difference between choosing Stone Edge and Payback a difference between losing one-third or two-thirds of your life to take out this check (or all of it, if Stone Edge misses just once). Behind a sub, this might not matter, but on any other Machamp set, I'd argue that Payback is extremely viable, reducing the list of ghosts who can check or counter him down to Chandelure (I guess: I'm sure one of its set can OHKO him) and Dusclops.
Not to rain on your parade, but Stone Edge has a 0% chance of missing if Machamp is using it and Chandy gets mauled by Stone Edge too.

Shaymin is basically the only offensive Grass-type that's bulky enough to switch into powerful Earthquakes much like Celebi.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

If this is a coding problem, I'm not gonna judge because I know are coders work hard for nothing. But really, what is this? Did I miss the thread about unbanning drought because I seriously might have?

Not to rain on your parade, but Stone Edge has a 0% chance of missing if Machamp is using it and Chandy gets mauled by Stone Edge too.
Of course. I forgot about No Guard. Anyway, my main point was that Payback is the preferred move for removing ghosts that switch in on Dynamic Punch.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Nope. Can't beat that confusion rate, and if smacking it around with Ice Punch means I can always freeze. To date, I don't think my machamp has ever lost to Hippowdon.
Curiously enough, I've never seen a Machamp losing to Hippowdon. Like, ever. I've never lost to Scizor using it, either, that son of a bitch always gets through with its Fist of the Northern Star and manly pecs as if it was nothing. In fact, I'm getting screwed by Machamp in so many ways in UU I guess I'm finally going to test it. Might even savage my DPPt team with Subs Jolteon and see if it works in UU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)