np: XY UU Stage 2 - Light Em Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 219-258 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 240-283 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

It's hard to say if Raptor is broken in this meta considering a lot of offensive threats outspeed it now and it loses so much HP wall breaking, but damn, what it does it does well. Fucking love that bird.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 225-265 (57.1 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 219-258 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 240-283 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Again as Eddie's replay shows the banded sets are a wall breaker... If it breaks walls that don't exactly resist its main STAB it isn't at all weird. I've not exactly formed an opinion yet, given that its been such a short time, but I'm not exactly inclined to agree when banded sets are doing anything out of the ordinary. Moreover, the walls above are more inclined to wall the dominant Fighting or Fire types in the tier rather than flying types, which is what I mentioned earlier as to what makes Fletch so viable because there really is not much popularity with stopping flying spam. That said I do see some options for additional walls probably moving up, e.g. Rotom-H, and some gaining more popularity, e.g. MAero (he already has been prior since Fletch was catching on).

Last edited:

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Yea Rotom heat could come in but remember double edge hits the electric type Pokemon hard
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-H: 229-270 (75.5 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery LOL

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-H: 114-135 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

LOL

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-H: 229-270 (75.5 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery LOL

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-H: 114-135 (37.6 - 44.5%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

LOL
This thing literally has no counter in uu

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 110-129 (25.3 - 29.7%) -- 20.2% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

js

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 183-216 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 110-129 (25.3 - 29.7%) -- 20.2% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

js

252 Atk Choice Band Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 183-216 (42.1 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Yea rhyperior does handle staraptor pretty well but I don't think I would ever keep Staraptor in on that lol

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Rhyperior. physically defensive jirachi.

that's about it for counters but it has a lot of checks. man you guys love to overplay how broken the suspects are lol

it's interesting to see how much bitching there was when we were banning shit and now that were unbanning shit it's just as much bitching. I guess I was right in thinking most if you just plainly don't like change.

this is why we use a council system.

that's about it for counters but it has a lot of checks. man you guys love to overplay how broken the suspects are lol

it's interesting to see how much bitching there was when we were banning shit and now that were unbanning shit it's just as much bitching. I guess I was right in thinking most if you just plainly don't like change.

I actually didn't mind any of the June drops except for blissey but she is manageable with 2 other fighting types dropping with her. But yea Staraptor in my honest opinion has too much power for uu

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 78-92 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO

Don't sell poor Doublade short. And if you REALLY want a counter.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 60-71 (18.6 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 78-92 (24.2 - 28.5%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO

Don't sell poor Doublade short. And if you REALLY want a counter.

252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Doublade: 60-71 (18.6 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO
See but that limits team building options in uu if you need to save one of your slots for a Staraptor counter whether it be doublade or rhyperior so that's why I don't think it should belong it uu

See but that limits team building options in uu if you need to save one of your slots for a Staraptor counter whether it be doublade or rhyperior so that's why I don't think it should belong it uu
Having to have a counter for Fire spam or strong Fighting-Types or Bulky Waters is also needed but you don't see any of them getting banned. Doublade basically solo'es every Physical Attacker in the tier not named Choice Band Victini and even then Victini isn't going to be wanting to take a STAB Ghost-Type move so Doublade really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Also, if you don't want to be sacrificing team slots to try and counter Staraptor you can instead try to keep Offensive momentum seeing as Base 100 speed isn't too hard to outpace and with a SR weakness + being pretty susceptible to being worn down easily whether it be by recoil, priority etc etc Staraptor can be dealt with in that manner.

Having to have a counter for Fire spam or strong Fighting-Types or Bulky Waters is also needed but you don't see any of them getting banned. Doublade basically solo'es every Physical Attacker in the tier not named Choice Band Victini and even then Victini isn't going to be wanting to take a STAB Ghost-Type move so Doublade really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Also, if you don't want to be sacrificing team slots to try and counter Staraptor you can instead try to keep Offensive momentum seeing as Base 100 speed isn't too hard to outpace and with a SR weakness + being pretty susceptible to being worn down easily whether it be by recoil, priority etc etc Staraptor can be dealt with in that manner.
Yea Staraptor isn't unbeatable but at the same time it can simply win you the game if the opponent isn't prepared for it by clicking brave bird. But like mentioned by you and koko it does have its counters and common scarfers in the tier out speed it so I would not be surprised if council votes to keep it uu

I think there is just a loud bunch kinda spamming almost each suspect with "It's too broken! Quick Ban now!" without even trying to let the metagame adjust and finding out new or old ways to succssesfully deal with it.

Personally I have yet played enouch with and against Raptor to post a worthy comment.

Adding to this I have to say all banded sets are being overplayed as well since it is neglecting the fact that Staraptor by running band sits on a very crowded speed tier that can easily be revenged as most teams do pack a scarved mon, or something with over 100 base speed, or priority. So that while banded sets are excellent wallbreakers it does leave Raptor vulnerable to revenge kills.

Well if you use two newbies who joined in the past two months as a good cross-section of UU players then I can see how you could come to that conclusion.

As far a Staraptor goes, it's really not that bad. Band sets are slow and are scared away by Raikou and Infernape. Scarf sets don't get all the KO's it wants. Ruined by Paralysis and Burns, low lifespan due to recoil on it's best moves, SR weakness hurts it's ability to scout and weakens it even more. It's good, no doubt, but not too good.

It's really amusing to see people complain about a wall breaker...breaking walls. Slap CB on Mienshao, Victini, Darn, or Heracross, and you have yourself something even Suicine can't stand up against. Band set is so easily taken care of if you have anything remotely fast (think, raikou, infernape, mienshao), and the scarf set hits about as hard as reckless scarf mienshao, with less speed. Weak to rocks, prone to recoil, and having a very predictable movepool doesn't help it. I am more scared of seeing an enemy Victini, for fear it could be scarfed, banded, mixed, LO, or ebelt.

At least Blissey has a new benefit making Staraptor fuck itself harder for using Brave Bird.
You should see Sableye, he gets to screw with both. He can Taunt and sometimes wall Blissey and half of Staraptors moves and Will o wisp (or use Knock off for the switch in). And he's still useful for the standard choiced Fighting types and non Fire physical attackers.

hmm, no one talked about it here yet, but a new defensive core has emerged to outclass the infamous pink core: blissey + slowbro + aromatisse (lol ironically it's still a pink core). blissey covers special attackers, while slowbro + aroma cover the physical attcakers, while aroma protects the team from taunt mew/sableye and slowbro works as a win condition.

i have used durant to break pink core #1 last round, but it can also beat the new one. wonder if it fares well nowadays though?

Ernesto edit: Ty for crediting me for the core, right? .–.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)