NU Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
At last I made NU team and I'm really enjoying playing it ;). It's quite similar to Ubers, but with just less power. I'm trying Hyper Offense and it's really fun. I'm testing right now DD Mixed Dragon Dancing Lapras and it's such a wallbreaking beast. Dragon Dance/Return/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam. Simple, yet effective. But kinda annoying with those Taunters running rampant. But after those few matches I'm saying it's really great tier ;). I would love to see ladder, but unfortunately it won't happen to fast.

Anyway I need to ask a question - do you guys have some good Electabuzz wallbreking EVs ? How many speed EVs are neccesary to make it effective ? (Good 105 speed gives you huge comfort of not investing to many EVs) I'm not sure about those EVs and I think about testing something else in wallbreaking spot. And electric resist would be also nice.

Yeah, I don't see an NU ladder coming until Shoddy Battle 2.

So anyways, I have some comments on two pokemon.:
Poliwrath: Really good in NU and one of my favorites. It has very good resistances and bulky Poliwrath is just incredibly useful, and I personally use a bulky Rest-talk set (not quite the one on the analysis).
Ninetales: WOW, this thing is super powerful! The only thing that stands a good chance of not being 2KO'd by LO Fire Blast+ another attack is Slowking, and even then is pushing it and it's downright taken down after a Nasty Plot.

All of the recent downgrades to NU seem to be doing pretty well, as expected. Don't forget about Muk either, he can be a monster if he gets a few curses in.

i thought there was a nu ladder because i checked m record on shoddy and it says nu rating which is 0 since i havnt done one single nu battle

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you check in the "Ladder" tab, NU isn't there. I'm supporting the idea that IF there's an NU ladder, it won't appear until SB2 (and iirc, Colin isn't fixing SB1 anymore, anyway).

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made a quick NU threat list and I wasn't sure where to post it, I think this is the best place:

Offensive Threats

Medicham -
Since its introduction in Advance, Medicham has been the epitome of 'Glass Cannon'. However, despite its incredible power, its frail defenses and middling speed left it to the NU tier. However, in this environment Medicham shines (and 2hkoes the entire tier)

Leafeon -
The Grass 'Eeveelution', Leafeon was almost neglected from day one due to its pure grass typing, creating many weaknesses. However, in the NU tier its fantastic defense and above average attack base statistic makes it a potent Swords Dance Sweeper. However, it's small attacking movepool lets it down.

Glaceon -
NU players run hail teams for two reasons: Stallrein and ScarfGlaceon. With a Choice Scarf around its neck, Glaceon outruns much of the tier and OHKOs with a 100% accurate STAB Blizzard which provides fantastic neutral coverage. You should be very afraid of the Ice Cat/Dog

Flareon -
Since the first generation, Flareon has been seen as the worst of the Eeveelutions due to it's terrible speed and lack of physical STAB to make use of its amazing base Attack. However, even though being in NU does not give it a larger movepool, Flareon can still tear holes in the usually frail NU teams. It can also be a fantastic support pokemon with it's above average Special Defense.

Relicanth -
What's scarier than a pokemon with base 90 Attack? A pokemon with base 90 Attack and a STAB move at 150 Base power with no recoil! If given the chance, a Choice Band Relicanth's head smash will take out one pokemon at least.

Ursaring -
With the introduction of Swellow in Advance, Ursaring was then seen as the inferior Guts Abuser in a fast-paced metagame due to its low speed. However, the speed tiers in NU are considerably lower so be prepared for the bear's rampant rampage!

Persian -
Persian was previously seen as an inferior Ambipom in UU (which were popular leads at the time) however in NU Persian is the most used lead. So much so that some say that it's broken with STAB Technician Fake Out and the tied fastest in the tier (bar scarves).

Drifblim -
Drifblim is the number one special threat in NU, it can run a variety of sets such as 'Calm Mind Sub' and 'ChestoRest' which both make use of its unique ability 'Unburden' - making it all the more dangerous.

Poliwrath -
Poliwrath was one of the last pokemon to go to the NU tier, showing its power already. When Poliwrath Belly Drums, you can almost say 'Good Game' there and then. However, its 'Bulk Up' and Choice Band sets are almost as dangerous. This is all complemented by Water Absorb which gives it a much-needed immunity to the many rain sweepers in NU and making is especially bulky.

Linoone -
Linoone is almost the same of Poliwrath in the sense of Belly Drumming, however it has access to STAB on the most powerful priority move in the game. Linoone is the reason why Aggron is being used.

Rhydon -
In Advance Rhydon was OU, taking on many threats with its fantastic base 120 defense and hitting back with an even more amazing base 130 attack. In the fourth generation it got an evolution, however this did not remove its potency in the lower tiers...

Skuntank -
Skuntank is a relatively new threat, but it can be incredibly unpredictable with STAB on Sucker Punch and access to Explosion. It's comparatively good speed also lets it make use of Taunt, an incredibly useful move in NU due to most of the metagame needing to set up to cause serious damage.

Floatzel -
Floatzel is the best physical rain sweeper in NU, and some go as far to say that it is the best physical sweeper. In the rain Floatzel outruns almost all of the tier, striking with boosted Waterfalls and those that it can't outspeed can easily be taken down by Aqua Jet. Even without Rain Support Floatzel still poses a threat thanks to Bulk Up.

Hitmonchan -
Hitmonchan never had the offensive stats of Hitmonlee, nor the Utility of Hitmontop however in NU it carries one of the most powerful attacks: Focus Punch with an Iron Fist maims anything not a ghost - including pokemon that resist it (however 4x resisting pokemon still shrug it off). It also makes a potent revenge killer with Mach Punch.

Slaking -
Base 160 attack and above average speed means something is going to get hurt. If you can't beat this guy in prediction then something is going to die.

Wailord -
Water Spout, supposedly Kyogre's Signature move, is also available to another pokemon (other than Smeargle). Despite its mediocre Special Attack Stat, Wailord still throws out hurt to anything that doesn't resist Water Spout. It is even more deadly under Trick Room

Entei -
A general reaction to Entei going to NU was that of disbelief: "A Legendary dog going to NU? With those stats?". However, its lack of physical STAB and movepool in general kept it down but it still poses a significant threat to teams.

Venomoth -
Venomoth is definitely one of the top Special Attackers in NU due to its incredible ability shared only with Yanmega: Tinted Lens. This makes many of its 'counters' cry out in pain when they realise they are still being hit neutrally with an often boosted STAB Bug Buzz. It's good speed helps to wreak havoc.

Exeggutor -
Boasting a Special Attack stat greater than that of Salamence's, Exeggutor is definitely another threat. Although it is slow, clever prediction ensures that something is going to get hurt by a Specs Leaf Storm, really hurt.

Gardevoir -
Gardevoir is a newer addition to the tier. Despite its average speed, Gardevoir is still a massive threat with base 125 Special attack and base 115 Special Defense. It also has access to Will-O-Wisp to burn the mainly physical metagame.

Ninetales -
With access to Nasty Plot, Ninetales can boost its Special Attack to obscene levels and its base 100 speed is non-too-shabby either. In addition to this, what it cannot take out it can put to sleep with Hypnosis.

Jynx -
After being OU for the first two generations, and then BL in Advance, Jynx could not keep up with the fast-paced metagame of the fourth generation and has so dropped to NU. However, Jynx is no pushover with its double STABs providing fantastic neutral coverage and offensive stats further increasing its usefulness.

Dodrio -
Dodrio is often underestimated in comparison to its Normal/Flying type counterparts such as Staraptor, however it can be more dangerous than a Lucario in NU. With access to Brave Bird, it can put a world of hurt on the plethora of Bugs and Flail decimates any opposition without a resistance.

Pinsir -
Pinsir has always been seen as an inferior Heracross, however its trait distinguishes it. Mold Breaker takes care of those pesky Levitators, allowing for an almost prediction free late-game clean-up.

Tauros -
The King of OU in R/B/Y is back to hurt NU with STAB Return. With fantastic Attack and Speed, any team not prepared for Tauros will be swept, regardless of boosts.

Manectric -
With high speed, great Special Attack and an amazing movepool Manectric is the most unpredictable pokemon in NU. It can run Substitute sets to avoid status, Life Orb sets for fantastic coverage and is equally good at utilising choice sets. This is your Electric Type of choice in NU.

Defensive Threats

Dusclops -
In a similar vein to Rhydon, Dusclops obtained an evolution this generation. However, the only major difference is the Attack stat still meaning that Dusclops can function well as a wall - almost too well.

Sandslash -
With access to Rapid Spin and great defensive stats, it is almost possible to say that Sandslash is the best Rapid Spinner in NU. The main part that distinguishes it from Cloyster is its resistance to Rock, a common attacking type in NU.

Regice -
Regice was OU in Advance, walling Special Attackers so well that some compared it to Blissey. The Advent of Stealth Rock and other powerful moves such as Stone Edge and Close Combat meant that it could not retain its status and so it dropped to NU. However, it is still a fantastic special wall with that incredible base 200 Special Defense.

Grumpig -
Grumpig is an incredible special wall with Thick Fat and amazing base stats overall. Although it is slightly outclassed by Hypno it is still a wall to be afraid of.

Hypno -
Before the introduction of NFEs to UU, Hypno was the ultimate special wall. However, Chansey stole its throne and so it was sent to the NU tier. However, Hypno can even stand up to Drifblim and Venomoth while easily walling Manectric and other Special Attackers.

Gardevoir -
Although Gardevoir can be a potent offensive threat, its access to Will-O-Wisp and fantastic base Special Defense make it a viable wall too.

Aggron -
Aggron is the ultimate Linoone counter. A 4x Normal resist means that Linoone will be forced into using Rock Smash which can be Metal Bursted back or Seed Bomb which is at best a 3HKO.

Bastiodon -
Bastiodon has a fantastic support movepool and stats which overcome its 4x Fighting and Ground Weaknesses. This is most likely the most used physical wall in NU other than Dusclops.

Walrein -
Who could forget the unbeatable Stallrein? This Sea Lion needs no introduction, it's mind-bending stalling power is evident.

Shuckle
- Shuckle is seen by some as the best wall in the game, it definitely has the defensive stats but many say its pitiful base 20 Hitpoints let it down. However, Shuckle can quite easily take on the top threats of NU and stall them (quite literally) to their death with Toxic.

Gligar -
Despite having stats outclassed by other NU physical walls, Gligar holds its niche with a plethora of useful resistances. A resistance to Bug, immunity to Ground and neutrality to Rock combined with a great base 105 defense make Gligar a great physical wall - and it has Roost for reliable recovery. It also outspeeds many walls allowing for its STAB earthquake to cause a bit of hurt.

Probopass -
Probopass, stat-wise, is the ultimate mixed wall in NU. Its Steel/Rock typing can actually sometimes be a benefit: a 4x resistance to Normal is the best. Although the 4x Weaknesses to Ground and Fighting do hold it back Probopass should not be underestimated.

This should probably be alphabetised (it's in random order at the moment)

I've been told that Muk should be on here but I haven't yet encountered one.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Weezing definitely deserves a spot on that defensive list. Also, how useful are toxic spikes in this metagame (ie. are the grounded poisons popular?)

Edit: Nvm, got my tiers mixed up.

Weezing definitely deserves a spot on that defensive list. Also, how useful are toxic spikes in this metagame (ie. are the grounded poisons popular?)
The list is for NU threats.

Anyway, Slowking needs to be on the list for obvious reasons, being a cross between Milotic and Slowbro. Munchlax also needs to be on the defensive list, being able to wall Ninetales, Entei, Glaceon, Venomoth, Manectric and others. Both can act as pseudo-offensive threats with their ability to set up on a lot of Pokemon.

As for Fire types, Rapidash is the fastest of the lot and carries the unique threat of Flare Blitz + Megahorn off 100 base Attack, whilst still having a respectable special attack to work with.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sceats I have not mentioned those that I have not yet come across.

And give me a break guys I didn't say it covered everything and I did it quickly :(

At last I made NU team and I'm really enjoying playing it ;). It's quite similar to Ubers, but with just less power. I'm trying Hyper Offense and it's really fun. I'm testing right now DD Mixed Dragon Dancing Lapras and it's such a wallbreaking beast. Dragon Dance/Return/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam. Simple, yet effective. But kinda annoying with those Taunters running rampant. But after those few matches I'm saying it's really great tier ;). I would love to see ladder, but unfortunately it won't happen to fast.

Anyway I need to ask a question - do you guys have some good Electabuzz wallbreking EVs ? How many speed EVs are neccesary to make it effective ? (Good 105 speed gives you huge comfort of not investing to many EVs) I'm not sure about those EVs and I think about testing something else in wallbreaking spot. And electric resist would be also nice.
I'm not sure on the exact amount of EVs since I'm on my friends computer, but I think I had enough to 2hko regice with cross chop, outspeed positive max speed base 90 or 95s, and put the rest in speciel attack. I think the moveset was:
Cross Chop
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power ice

To add to the threat list (these are just some off the top of my head):

Offensive:

Haunter: Ghost / Poison. 115 base SpAtk, 95 base Speed. "Levitate". Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, Substitute, Explosion.

Marowak: Ground. 80 base Atk, 45 base Speed. "Rock Head". Thick Club item doubles this Pokemon's Attack stat. Swords Dance, Substitute, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Fire Punch, Double-Edge (recoil is canceled out by "Rock Head"), Boomerang.

Rampardos: Rock. 165 Atk, 58 Speed. "Mold Breaker". Swords Dance, Substitute, Head Smash, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Zen Headbutt, Endeavor, Fire Punch, Pursuit, Rock Polish.

Defensive:

Relicanth: Water / Rock. 100 base HP, 130 base Def, 65 base SpDef. Sleep Talk, Rest, Head Smash (recoil is canceled out by "Rock Head"), Aqua Tail, Waterfall, Earthquake.

Cloyster: Water / Ice. 50 base HP, 180 base Def, 45 base SpDef. Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Surf, Ice Beam, Avalance, Ice Shard, Payback, Explosion. "Shell Armor" blocks critical hits.

Slowking: Water / Psychic. 95 base HP, 80 base Def, 110 base SpDef. Nasty Plot, Surf, Ice Beam, Calm Mind, Grass Knot, Slack Off, Thunder Wave, Light Screen, Trick Room.

Articuno: Ice / Flying. 90 base HP, 100 base Def, 125 base SpDef. Substitute, Toxic, Roost, Ice Beam, Roar, Heal Bell, Rain Dance.

Muk: Poison. 105 base HP, 75 base Def, 100 base SpDef. Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk, Explosion, Gunk Shot / Poison Jab, Brick Break, Ice Punch, Payback, Focus Punch.

Gastrodon: Water / Ground. 111 base HP, 68 base Def, 82 base SpDef. "Sticky Hold." Curse, Stockpile, Recover, Surf, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Toxic.

Other:

Lopunny: Normal. 65 base HP, 84 base Def, 96 base SpDef, 105 base Speed. "Klutz". Can Baton Pass Agility and Substitute. Switcheroo + Klutz, Magic Coat, Protect, Toxic, Encore, Toxic.

Piloswine: Ice / Ground. 100 base HP, 100 base Atk, 80 base Def, 60 base SpDef. Stealth Rock, Ice Shard, Avalanche, Earthquake, Stone Edge.

Venomoth: Bug / Poison. 70 base HP, 60 base Def, 75 base SpDef. Can Baton Pass Agility and Substitute. Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Toxic Spikes, Roost, Screech, Bug Buzz, U-turn, Sludge Bomb, Psychic, Hidden Powers.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
In Relicanth's part of the threat list, I think you should give more of a mention to LO Rock Polish Relicanth. With Rock Polish/Waterfall/Head Smash/Earthquake, it OHKOs or 2HKOs everything in NU besides Poliwrath. Even then, Poliwrath still takes ~40% from a LO Head Smash with the SubPuncher EV spread, which is the most common, and this is a resisted hit.

LO Rock Polish Relicanth only needs 140 EVs to outspeed the entire tier after a Rock Polish, although he can have more to outspeed random Scarfers. If Hippopotas is on the team, Relicanth can be even harder to beat, since a lot of Grass Knots won't even 2HKO with Sandstorm (Remember, Grass Knot is super-weak on Relicanth, only 40 BP normally), so things that use Grass Knot are in trouble if they don't have Energy Ball.

great lists everyone, so heres one more:

OFFENSIVE THREATS

PRIMEAPE-
primeape could cause some serious damage with stab, scarfed cc tearing through most pokemon that dont resist it, and u turn to get out of situations with ghosts and pokemon that you cant ohko

SLAKING- I ran a cb slacking in ou with great success. A slacking with a team full of devensive pokemon could sweep every team. A CB return will tear through most, and eq and fire punch handle steels, while night slash/pursuit kill those ghosts.

SHIFTRY- In sunny day, shifty can sweep ubers with its awesome dual stab. If it works in ubers, it can for sure work in NU. Leaf storm and dark pulse will hurt.

URSARING- With quick feet and a sd under its belt, it will outspeed and ko most pokemon with facade. CC and shadow claw along with eq will help with anything that survives the facade.

RAMPARDOS- A choice scarf set will hurt coming off that base 165 attack and stone edge stab with mold breakered eqs hurting weezing.

NINETAILS
- I swept countless uu teams with ninetails after a np. With flash fire, flamethrower, energy ball and hypnosis, imo ninetails is just too good to be NU

Closing opinions:
There are many potent sweepers that didnt make this list, such as marowack and kingler. Marowack and medicham are in the same boat as rampardos, so they dont need there own descriptions. Kingler and Crawdaunt are too slow, so they missed the list by a few inches.

Defensive list later to come!

Some things I think should be added, copy-pasteable into your list (along with what wavedash posted):

offensive
Primeape: The fastest fighting type in the tier, who has unique access to U-Turn and Punishment along with Close Combat and it's good attack stat makes it great user of Choice Scarf.

Haunter: Similar to it's evolution, Haunter is a fast, powerful special sweeper. Although it looses out on Focus Blast, it still makes for a good sweeper, and is the only offensive ghost type in the tier creating a niche for itself.

Rampardos: While Medicham was the epitome of glass cannon in Advance, Rampardos is THE portrait of a Glass Cannon, with it's sandpaper defenses and Groudon-level attack stat. Attach a Scarf, pass some speed, set up Trick room or even Rock Polish, and be prepared to kill something.

Marowak: Marowak has always been known for it's colossal attack stat, and the weaker defenses in NU lets it really break bones. Just like Rampardos, get that speed up and sweep.

Cacturne: While constant sandstorm is hard to come up on in NU, letting Cacturne get behind a Substitute or get a Swords Dance in is a VERY bad idea. Also, being one of the few Spikers in NU isn't a bad thing.

Magneton: Another pre-evolution of an OU Pokemon, Magneton is as adept at trapping Steels as Magnezone, opening up a sweep for a slew of Pokemon walled eternally by by Aggron and friends, and it's base 125 Special attack along with great electric STAB isn't too bad either.

Camerupt: Suffering from the same high attack, low speed syndrome as Marowak & company, Camperupt works best in Trick Rom swith excellent STAB and Explosion.

Rapidash: Sporting the highest speed of all the fire types, along with the unique Megahorn and good attacking stats, Rapidash can plow it's way through the most common special walls in NU and is an underestimated threat.

Kangaskhan: A very subtle offensive force, Kangaskhan has the rare Scrappy and makes a really good Sub Puncher, something Tauros doesn't beat it at.

Gorebyss: The only (good) remaining Special Rain sweeper, it'll plow through most things in the rain, although it can also speed itself up with Agility and Baton Pass it.

Lickilicky: The only thing you need to know about Lickilicky is that it has good attacking stats, a huge movepool, and STAB Explosion to kill EVERYTHING not named Aggron, Probopass or Bastiodon, or that is a ghost type.

Octillery: It has great dual 105 attacking stats, and Suction Cups makes it one of, if not the, best Baton Pass receivers in NU.

Sharpedo: While it has paper defenses, it also has good speed and a great base 120 attack along with 95 special attack stat makes it quite a powerful mixed sweeper.

Zangoose: With Swords Dance it becomes NU's own little mini-Lucario, but with a better attack stat and a weaker Quick attack for priority.

Defensive

Ampharos: Ampharos has solid defensive stats and a useful supporting movepool which includes Screens, Thunder Wave and Heal Bell.

Cloyster: The second highest defense stat in NU, without Aggron's unfortunate typing, and it's the most reliable Spiker in NU along with Rapid Spin support for the many SR weak Pokemon in NU.

Gligar: Gligar's high defense, Roost and fighting resistance is really an invaluable asset to many teams, and it can take on many threats like Tauros and set up Stealth Rock.

Leafeon: While it works well as an attacker, it may be even better as a physical wall with a huge 130 Defense and moves like Yawn, Baton Pass, Roar and the amazing Wish.

Articuno: Like the other legendary birds, Articuno works well as a defensive Pokemon, and has the best defensive stats of the three, only let down by it's crap typing. But with SR not up (or even down sometimes), Articuno can wall alot of things and is one of the best shufflers and heal bellers.

Muk: It's great HP and special defense along with a poison typing make it a very good Special wall, Tank, or very threatning Curser.

Quagsire: A very potent curser with good stats, an electric immunity and the useful water absorb.

Gastrodon: Similar to Quagsire, but it can be more durable with Recover.

Slowking: Probably the second most used special wall, Slowking takes on Fire, Ice, Psychic and Water attacks like a champ and it can also go on the offensive, tank style with Nasty Plot and Calm Mind.

Other (support?)

Butterfree: A threat if only maybe for it's near perfectly accurate Sleep Powder. A common lead, scarf & double powder.

Xatu: A useful Pokemon with access to both Screens, Wish, a 4x fighting resistance and U-turn.

Solrock: The go to spacial object for a lead, setting up Stealth Rocks and Exploding usually. Also commonly a lead for Trick Room teams, being able to set up rocks, trick room and a quick explosion to get out of there.

Bibarel: The downs syndrome beaver is not as bad as you'd actually think, being a reliable lead with Taunt and Stealth Rock. Both of it's unique abilities help it perform different roles well, be it a curser, baton pass reciever, or counter to the many Pokemon that need a boost to be threatning (Drifblim and Lapras come to mind as being stopped cold by Bibarel). He's also one of the few reliable answers to Entei, especially the threatning Sub CM set.

Jumpluff: The bane of many a battler's existance, Jumpluff is infamous for it's annoying ability to come in on practically any slow wall or grass type, encore, sleep and Sub Seed everything to death.

I was thinking about adding things like Luxray, Noctowl and Shedinja, but they don't really see much use.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sneasel (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Brick Break
- Pursuit

oh man this set is just so fuckin' good. first of all, it completely eliminates the huge threats that are haunter/kadabra. pursuit is so fantastic with all the fast, frail shit that fears sneasel. secondly it outspeeds pretty much the whole tier. 115 base is only rivaled by floatzel, who speed ties. yes, that means he outpseeds tauros! and it's ridiculously easy to get in a swords dance. after one, he becomes almost impossible to stop. i can almost guarantee you'll lose a pokemon to this beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)