NU Pokemon of the Week - Golurk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to comment about Skuntank, I have gotten a Musharna (maximum physical bulk) out of Skuntank's madness with about 75% of my health remaining. It took a lot of prediction to do it though - I had to stay in and use Signal Beam while he though I was going to switch out, and he used Pursuit for a net loss of about 25% of my health after Leftovers. I had to keep switching from Moonlight to Signal Beam so then I could convince my opponent to use either Crunch or Pursuit. Even then, I had to use Signal Beam to go for the confusion hax, which worked so I was able to use Moonlight before he could Taunt again. Eventually, I used Moonlight, he used Pursuit, I switched out and he used Crunch, making me get away. I don't remember it completey, but it went something like that.

Barring rare exceptions like that one, however, Skuntank is almost a foolproof Pokemon at doing its role. 90% of the time it will defeat its opponent, and all Psychic-types will pretty much lose against it unless the opponent gets really lucky with the predictions. It is much bulkier than Absol, and still has enough power to defeat most Psychic types which are generally extremely frail to being with. Its pretty easy to use and even easier to fit onto a team, which is overall just great - it rarely doesn't succeed at doing its job.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice morning post Furi, this is for you.

I agree completely that Skuntank is a great Pokemon in NU. There are a few reasons for this, including the importance of its role in the tier, how it performs its role, and how well it performs outside of its comfort zone. Skuntank's role in the metagame is pretty large as it's a major stop to the dangerous Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon that reside in NU such as, but not limited to, Musharna, Haunter, Kadabra, Gardevoir, Exeggutor, and Misdreavus. Skuntank performs this role with near perfection thanks to its amazing Poison/Dark typing that allows it to take common coverage moves from these Pokemon such as Hidden Power Fighting, Signal Beam, and Focus Blast. Its ability to dismantle Musharna with Taunt and its Dark-type STAB without much fear of a potential Signal Beam is one of the things that set it apart from Absol. Like FLCL said, Skuntank's typing also comes in handy when dealing with Pokemon such as Serperior who don't use moves that can hurt it well, while it breaks it apart with Poison Jab and Taunt. While Skuntank's performance outside of its role isn't as great as Absol, it can still put a lot of work into each game. Skuntank has access to the coveted Sucker Punch, which is widely regarded as the best form of priority in NU barring Linoone's Extremespeed. This allows Skuntank to get in a final hit on Pokemon or finish off weak ones without having Skuntank take damage in return, although with its Aftermath ability alongside Sucker Punch it can deal significant amount of damage even when attempting a last ditch effort. With Taunt + Poison Jab it can even defeat Waterfall Alomomola and Amoonguss one on one by cutting of their access to their recovery moves and having Poison Jab's 30% chance of Poison activate on Alomomola.

Skuntank is even capable of going Mixed if it wants to to hit incoming Probopass or Bastiodons with Hidden Power Grounds and Fire Blast for Pokemon such as Klang and Mawile, however loses a lot of its ability to check and counter Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon, which is the main reason to use it over Absol. Skuntank also forms a powerful core alongside Musharna and Gurdurr that can be devastating for most teams to face. Skuntank has a powerful role in the metagame and I don't see this Pokemon going under the radar for possibly the rest of the 5th generation.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Oh man Skuntank is a Pokemon that manages to find its way on to almost all of my teams in some way. Its just that good. Skuntank is easily the best trapper, grass resist, and glue Pokemon in all of NU. Its one of the few reliable "counters" (Musharna could HP Ground people!) to Musharna and Eggy while still being an amazing check to frailer attackers because of Sucker Punch and Aftermath damage. Its also one of the best Stall Breakers because of its ability to Taunt every stall member and wear them down with Crunches while still having that great typing that makes it immune to Poison and allows it to absorb Toxic Spikes on the switch in.

Basically USE SKUNTANK

So what EV spreads do you like to use on Skuntank? Customizing your EV's on Skuntank in particular to beat a threat easier is something I have been seeing a lot more often. I usually go with a faster Skuntank spread with Poison Jab > Crunch nowadays.

Also, on that note, do you prefer Poison Jab or Crunch on Skuntank?

ebeast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I tend to prefer Poison Jab on my Skuntank as its a nice way to get good damage on possible Gurdurr, Emboar, or Sawk switch ins expecting to take your Dark-type and threaten back. Poison Jab also makes Skuntank a great Ludicolo check when its outside of Rain, which is always appreciated in this metagame. Usually Pursuit and Taunt + Sucker Punch is enough to get the job done and I've never really been in a situation where I regret having Poison Jab over Crunch. Against Pokemon such as Drifblim where Crunch would help out, I'd still rather not because I would have to risk the Drifblim not being Jolly. If I were to change my set to Jolly Skuntank just to outspeed Driblim I would lose a lot of power and still be forced to run Crunch anyways. Without running Jolly Crunch is still not a safe option against Driblim and I still have to predict around it. If I Sucker Punch the Drifblim might Sub or if I Crunch predicting a Substitute the Drifblim might go for Flying Gem Acrobatics and take me down. For these reasons I would just prefer to use the 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe Adamant set with Leftovers and be backed up by a Rock-type to handle AcroBlim and maybe Heal Bell Musharna to make sure my Rock-type isn't crippled by Will-O-Wisp or status in general.

That being said at one point I did use to use a more specialized set back when Ludicolo was not around and a bit when it was and just wasn't as popular. My set was 20 HP / 252 Atk / 196 SpD / 40 Spe with Adamant. This would give Skuntank much more special bulk than it had before and allow me to beat Haunter much more reliably. The Speed EVs were to speed creep the standard Misdreavus set and Taunt it before it could Will-O-Wisp me. With the advent of Ludicolo I changed my set to the standard 20/252/236 spread so that I could just outspeed Ludicolo and Poison Jab without forcing myself to Sucker Punch and possibly miss out on the kill if Ludicolo is healthy.

This has been sitting here for a bit too long. Time to feature another Pokemon.

Exeggutor
Type: Grass / Psychic
Base Stats: 95 HP / 95 Atk / 85 Def / 125 SpA / 65 SpD / 55 Spe
Ability: Chlorophyll / Harvest

Exeggutor can be both a competent wallbreaker and sweeper. Exeggutor is undeniably one of the most versatile Pokemon in the tier. In recent times, however, for reasons unknown, it has not been seen that often.

I've seen him pretty frequently while laddering, myself. I've only used a Chlorophyll set which seemed outclassed by sweepers such as Shiftry or Victreebel, but I've been aggravated to no end by Harvest sets. I battled against a guy who used Protect / Substitute / Leech Seed / Wood Hammer which was extremely annoying to face, even when I discovered the set. His constant healing and stalling, and well balanced stats (well except speed) make Exeggutor an effective pokemon in the tier.

Given the fall of bulky fire types it's somewhat interesting that Eggy has fallen in usage. Not much fundamentally has changed from the days when Specs Eggy dominated everything and was a staple on alot of teams.

However I think the shifts to a physical metagame and Amoongus are the reasons for this. Offensive Grass types have fallen out of style, which is actually against the metagame. Given the lack of spinning in the tier, and that alot of Eggy's revengers are wallable and take lots from stealth rocks means that Speceggy should still be one of the most seen and most potent threats in the tier.

ebeast

Brammi
Skuntank being as common as it is doesn't really help Exeggutor's usage. Water-types becoming so popular such as Special Samurott and Ludicolo, who can both destroy Eggy with Ice Beam also keep people from using Exeggutor. People don't want to use a Grass-type Pokemon that fails to beat the most popular Water-types in the tier. However that is where I think people are making a mistake.

Exeggutor is really a great Pokemon and has many sets that show this. Choice Specs is an absolute monster and is incredibly hard to switch into, Physically Defensive SubSeed is a stall machine, Sunny Day Eggy can sweep, and LumRest is fantastic at breaking down bulkier teams. Exeggutor pairs up very well with Regice too which solves the worry of Samurott and Ludicolo that many people decide to skip over Eggy for. I'll focus mainly on Choice Specs and LumRest here because those are the sets I have the most experience with. In the beginning of BW Specs Eggy was known to be the biggest nuke Pokemon available in NU. Nothing could ever hope to switch into a Specs Leaf Storm or Psyshock without being OHKOed or taking near fatal damage. This more of the same still applies in today's metagame as a simple set of Leaf Storm (or Giga Drain) / Psyshock / Hidden Power Ground / Sleep Powder has basically no survivors. Not even Regice and Lickilicky can stand up to Eggy's Psyshock (which deals 57% min to 252 HP Regice and 51% min to 252 HP Licky) and Skuntank takes a massive 77-91% from Leaf Storm and is cleanly OHKOed by a Hidden Power Ground. The LumRest set takes advantage of Exeggutor's good bulk, Harvest, and great offensive stats to beat bulkier Pokemon that rely on status to do most of their damage. LumRest Eggy absolutely obliterates Alomomola + Amoonguss without a sweat and any status it picks up along the way is dealt with Harvest Lum and Rest. Even outside of these, Exeggutor makes a fine switch into Pokemon such as Golem and Regirock who cannot deal much damage to Exeggutor due to its great 95/85 bulk and are forced out, giving Eggy the opportunity to heal or deal great damage with its STABs. The combination of bulk, good typing, reliable recovery, and offensive presence is what gives Eggy its niche. All things said, it should be used a lot more than it is now.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used Exeggutor frequently for the few times I've been on in the last few months, and I can confirm that it's great as a Sunny Day sweeper/supporter. Base 125 Special Attack provides oodles of power and ensures that Giga Drain can be used both to kill frail offensive Pokémon and to help sustain Exeggutor's sweep. Being one of the only Grass-types that inherently plows through Amoonguss with its secondary STAB is also a great plus, meaning you're not forced to run Hidden Power Fire like you are for Shiftry.

One set that I think might be worth discussing is OTR Exeggutor, with Trick Room / Psychic / Leaf Storm / Hidden Power Ground. It'd function basically like a less bulky Musharna with a few more resistances to switch into, and far more power and STAB coverage. I guess Trick Room would work in a similar way to Sunny Day in how it thwarts revenge killing attempts, but obviously it would be more suited to different playstyles. Hell, with no need to invest EVs in Speed, OTR Exeggutor could even go mixed with Wood Hammer over Leaf Storm, if the SpA drops really put you off. What do you guys think?

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
in my opinion exeggutor isn't very effective in this metagame since it can't keep up with the fast paced offensive nature of teams. being able to destroy both amoonguss and alomomola is nice, but the most dominant play-style by far is offensive with pokemon such as samurott, braviary, gardevoir, and so on. exeggutor will struggle to net more than one kill against those types of teams. also, the rise of regice does not help it one bit since it struggles to break though it without a life orb boosted low kick.

also, on the topic of otr eggy, nature power could be considered to dodge sucker punches from one of its biggest counters in skuntank and hit it super effectively.

I think where most people go wrong with Exeggutor, or at least Choice Specs Exeggutor, is they play it more like a utility check rather than a wallbreaker. Exeggutor had a load of useful resistances, but also a ton of crippling weaknesses. Pokemon it "should" counter in virtue of typing it does not because of coverage moves. Exeggutor indeed does not do a good job in switching into most Pokemon, but once it is in, it does a ton of damage. Giga Drain boosted by Choice Specs allows Exeggutor to keep itself healthy throughout the match as well as do a ton of damage at the same time, and it is why I prefer using that over Leaf Storm in most situations.

An interesting aspect of Choice Specs Exeggutor is that it functions as an amazing lead. Besides the annoying 4x weakness to U-turn, Exeggutor is an overall effective lead because it OHKO's most of the Pokemon that set up Stealth Rock and does well against Mold Breaker Sawk. Leading with Specs Exeggutor is a great way to punch holes into the opposing team early on.

FLCL, I disagree with you on a few things. Regice is a generally poor Exeggutor counter. Exeggutor can and should opt to use Psyshock, which is a clean 2HKO on Regice. It also does better against lesser common threats such as Altaria and Flareon. For the most part, the damage reduction from Psychic --> Psyshock on most other Pokemon is also trivial. If Exeggutor has Psychic, two consecutive Leaf Storms with Stealth Rock or a little bit of prior damage kills Regice. Even if Regice does not die, people who use Regice usually rely on it to beat offensive Water-types such as Samurott and Ludicolo, which you can take advantage of.

What is nice about the offensive teams you mentioned is that they usually carry a Stealth Rock setter and frail Pokemon. Exeggutor can come in on the Stealth Rock setter and then use Leaf Storm. Said offensive teams have no defensive mechanism against this: most Pokemon that resist Grass-type attacks on offensive teams are frail enough to be OHKO'd or at least 2HKO'd. Sure Exeggutor will inevitably come to a prediction predicament here and there, but so does every other Choice Pokemon. And it does not really happen with Exeggutor often despite Grass having a lot of resistances.

I am not very well-versed on other sets that are not Choice Specs. I tried Sunny Day a few weeks ago which was pretty effective, but it ended up falling short in quite a few significant situations. I'm going to be trying more Exeggutor sets soon, but Choice Specs has just been so effective for me.

I tried Exeggutor too, but offensive sets didn't work for me. A lot of things such as Swellow outspeed and can OHKO it, Skuntank, Miltank, and a lot of other things wall and threaten it. The LumRest and Subtitute sets though, have been effective for me. Sets up on Alomomoonguss and a lot of Ground and Rock types, and can pretty much give the opposing team trouble if they don't have Skuntank or a special wall.

I don't know the specifics of how specs exeggutor would work within this current metagame, but having used it exhaustively back in the day, if your using it to check anything or worrying about threats that cant pursuit/apply massive momentum against your team then you are doing it wrong. Specs exeggutor exists for those ballsy players who want to throw haymakers against the opponents team to put them on the back foot, kind of like a blitzkrieg where your leafstorm/psychic (if resist is predicted) creates a salient or gap in the line where the rest of your team can then take advantage.

Excellent set, yet due its potential unreliability and learning curve, i am surprised to see it as the first choice in the analysis =/

I've falling in love with SubSitrus Exeggutor. Once he's behind a sub (and you have a good roll with Harvest) is so annoy for the opponent to take down or at least break the sub without having another one instantly up, not to mention the damage done with Leech Seed and the last slot is always a guessing game ! Does he will have Psychic, Toxic, Giga Drain, or some other gimmick move ?
Really cool set. I've also tried the Sunny Day set and it's pretty good with a STAB Solarbeam. Definely a good mon. His cons i think that are the low speed and the weakness to U-Turn, Pursuit and Flying attack.

I've been using a Sub+Sunny Day Exeggutor paired with a Choice Scarfed Charizard and it works out pretty well. Somehow, I've never really thought that Exeggutor works well as a normal offensive pokemon. I usually use it as a support pokemon. Whenever I get up a Sunny Day, Charizard will be one of my next switch-ins. However, if I can't switch into Charizard safely, Exeggutor still works pretty well offensively.

I know most teams always love a Specs Eggy but usually when I build teams I build them defensibly up. Now I understand that a pokemon with 7 weaknesses isnt exactly the greatest wall in the land but I got to say, Sub Leech Sitrus Berry Eggy are a blast to run. The constant health of Sitrus Berry, leech seed and a Substitute are a perfect way to gain health lost by all the common attacks that are weak to Eggy. Combine that with Substitute & Protect, now you have an opportunity to hide from all your weakness while continuously stealing health.

And I completely adore the ability Harvest. I wish more grass types held the ability honestly with all the incredible berries there are in the current metagame. I can't tell you how many times in the battle my Eggy had around 15% health then ate his berry, acquired a new berry, and ate it again all in the same turn. My 15% guy on the brink of death, with Leech Seed and his two berries almost comes back to 3/4 life all in a single turn!

This set has it flaws I understand and I dont use it much (I probably will stop it completely with this new Hail coming in our tier) but I got to say, I cannot count the amount of rage quiters I had met while using this set.

I've used two different Exeggutor sets in the past: SubSitrus which is a good staller, get your sub up and annoy the hell out of your foe. I plan on using it on a full on stall team.

The other set I used was Sunny Day sweeper. LO Solarbeam hits extremely hard pair that with HP Fire and either Psychic or Psyshock and you got good overall coverage.

What sets back Eggy though(as previously mentioned) is his speed(although on a Sun team it's not as bad), multiple weaknesses and Skuntank.

Overall though, I think Eggy is a good Pokemon.

Yeah Custap Berry especially with Harvest has the potential to Troll teams to oblivion. I'm not sure I would use it much though seeing I absolutely hate Prankster Pokemon. Pokemon like Liepard or Whimsicott. Ugh, makes me cringe just thinking about it.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I love using Physically Defensive Exeggutor as a tank instead of Amoonguss. Sure, it doesn't have Regenerator or a 100% Sleep Move, but Base 125 SpA and powerful dual STAB make it an awesome choice for balance teams that struggle with Sawk, but want a little more offense available.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Giga Drain / Leech Seed
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Rest
item: Lum Berry
ability: Harvest
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe

The EVs outspeed Alomomola, so you can use Giga Drain before it can Wish and heal its teammates. Being able to recover 100% HP and remove status in a single reliable move is excellent, and makes Exeggutor great at staying in against powerful attackers. Furthermore, its dual STAB attacks have excellent power and let Exeggutor retain more offensive momentum than its more popular counterpart.

As for my thoughts on Custap Berry + Harvest, I can't really see it being much more useful than Sunny Day + Chlorophyll. While the former doesn't require any setup, it does require Exeggutor to get below 25% HP, which is easier said than done. Furthermore, Sucker Punch / Ice Shard etc still move before Custap-activated Exeggutor, so it's just as helpless as the standard Sunny Day set if Absol comes in after a death.

Sorry about the long delay. I was going to feature Roselia this week, but a discussion thread for it was made recently, so make sure to talk about Roselia there~

Kangaskhan
Type: Normal
Base Stats: 105 HP / 95 Atk / 80 Def / 40 SpA / 80 SpD / 90 Spe
Ability: Early Bird / Scrappy / Inner Focus

Kangaskhan is everyone's favorite kangaroo. It is a versatile Pokemon that has underwent numerous phases of popularity in the past. With Cinccino gone from the tier, people have been looking for Normal-type replacements, and Kangaskhan being one of the stronger candidates for the Normal-type teamslot.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
kangaskhan is a great candidate for the normal teamslot thanks to respectable stats in all but special attack and a movepool which covers threats well. scrappy is very useful in enabling ghost types to be hit by its stab moves, allowing kanga to not rely on sucker punch to hit them.

ebeast

Kangaskhan is awesome thanks to its combination of good Speed, Attack and bulk, all topped off with its amazing Scrappy ability. Scrappy is what allows Kanga to stand out in NU as a Normal-type Pokemon as being unable to block its Fake Outs and Double-Edges with Ghost-type Pokemon makes its it much harder to wall. With access to Drain Punch and Earthquake it can also hit Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon hard. Having perfect coverage with just Double-Edge and Earthquake/Drain Punch it make use of its other 2 slots with its two priority moves in Fake Out and Sucker Punch. Be the priority abuser set or Choice Band, Kangaskhan makes great use of its perks. Choice Band makes great use of Scrappy and high HP to spam powerful Double-Edges while the priority abuser set uses its good bulk to make a powerful tank that abuses Scrappy Fake Out and Sucker Punch. With its 105/80/80 defenses it can be difficult to take down Kangaskhan while attempting to tank it at the same time. Offensive teams are the main victims of Kangaskhan as the damage from Fake Out weakens them greatly and Kangaskhan's high Speed will make it a big annoyance. Spikes + Kangaskhan is fantastic as the Rock- and Steel-type Pokemon capable of tanking some hits from Kanga are weakened by the Spikes and other teams fall much quicker to Scrappy STAB with the extra damage. Of course bulkier teams that incorporate Pokemon such as Tangela and Alomomola are pains for Kangaskhan to face as they can easily come in on its attacks and start Leech Seeding or Wish, respectively. Overall Kangaskhan is a great Pokemon with a powerful niche and deserves more usage.

Fake Out something (or just predict with other attack the switch), use Drain Punch on the faster foes that doesn't resist it, otherwise just Body Slam or Return them to the oblivion, and you're done for good with Kangaskhan, a good Pokémon indeed. But Kangaskhan is not without surprises, it's SubPunch set is really, really powerful and flawless, and you can use Work Up + 2 Physical Attacks + 1 Special Attack pretty well considering it's huge movepool, and it does even have Hammer Arm and Sucker Punch! You can also combine the SubPunch set with Reversal, and your odds of staying with 1 of HP are kinda high, too, or lure Fighting-Type attacks and destroy them with Focus Sash + Counter, and later spam powerful Reversals if the enemy doesn't have any priority user or faster Pokémon alive.

Taking in account it's good bulk and power to force switches or secondary plans, you can also run some support options on any set like... Disable, Safeguard, summon a weather, or use it as a phazer helper with Roar or Circle Trow.

It does run really well any Choice-Band or Choice-Scarf set, too, for example it's Choice-Scarf set doesn't need of speed investment at all, so you can spend those EV's on make Kangaskhan a fast, powerful, and really bulky threat, that doesn't care to be blocked with Return or Body Slam at all (well, there are always some Rock and Steel Pokémon, but if you're using Body Slam, you can paralize them before leaving), Drain Punch with Choice Scarf works pretty well if you're not having spinner, because Kangaskhan will be able to revenge kill a good number of stuff and at the same time stay really, really healthy.

I like to use Kangaskhan as a bulky attacker, using 1 support move, Fake Out, and 2 physical attacks. In some teams with Choice-Scarf because it's bulky and Scrappy are something really neat. Toxic on any not-choiced-set is not a bad idea, because Kangaskhan tends to be hard walled by some prominent physical walls like Alomomola, so, you can cripple them with Toxic and leave with glory.

Work Up + Leaftovers + Drain Punch + Earthquake + Substitute works really, really wonderful on make Kangaskhan a tank hard to stop.

Chopple Berry + Counter + Drain Punch + Sucker Punch works kinda well, too, but it's somewhat situational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)