Official NBA 2010-11 Season Thread

You would be careful about being optimistic about a 50/50/90 guy doing well in the fourth round? Yeah it is not a mortal lock, but even if you put Lebron and a help guy on him all game, the Mavericks have other guys who can score. Even if they do put Lebron and a help guy on him, it looks like Dirk really has developed his shot into being "unguardable" due to the angles. The Bulls only had Rose who was an offensive threat and not a bad defender... (Boozer being a wildly negative impact on that series, much to my incorrect guess). Chandler is not going to have 40% shooting games like Noah, come on. The Mavericks guard well except against big men, and since Dirk > Bosh and Chandler > all of the corpses on the Heat, I really am not worried. The Celtics were on dead legs, the Bulls collapsed offensively, and the 76ers were not ready for this year's playoffs. You have seen the Heat win on their three on five strategy, but they got big contributions from the shit players this series and had a very easy defensive setup / Bulls never did anything offensively to counter it. The Mavericks can score on you with everyone but Haywood basically...remember despite Wade and Lebron existing, it is incredibly likely that the Mavericks will outshoot the Heat by 1-2% averaged across the series. This is not a series the Heat are going to like, even if they end up winning it.

I didnt watch the game, did Westbrook play badly again?

Btw I've had some time to rethink the Brown hiring, and now I don't think it's such a bad deal anymore. Especially after reading this: http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2011/5/25/2189077/mike-brown-lakers-new-coach#storyjump I can't help but look more favorably upon the management's decision. I guess the bottom line is: DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. LA will be solid in that regard for sure. On the other end of the court, I know LA haters will get to stroke their dicks by spouting shit like "Kobe iso all day!" but the truth is, LA has much more offensive weapons than the Lebron-era Cavs had. And it looks like Brown is going to add help to his staff, so yeah. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah because that is definitely all I said. I definitely did not address the composition of entire games, I definitely only looked at 1v1 matchups. This is not "who will be better", the Heat lack two positions while the Mavericks can guard Wade and Lebron without losing scoring. I try to nuance it and you get all testy because I told you that matchups do not determine series before (and was right, the Mavericks fucking won). What I just mentioned above is not "about position matchups", it is how the series is possibly going to play out in a simple explanation. Nuancing that does not mean I think that this series will be determined by "matchups". Also Dirk is going to shoot better than anyone in this series like I already fucking said, which has nothing to do with matchups other than being countered by Bosh probably retaining a bump in production as Mavericks do not worry about defending him so much.

Dude... I'm joking again. >_>

Anyway, questions I'll be wondering about:

• The free throw disparity (ref bias or not). Heat are too hard to beat if they constantly get to the line and line disparity has a correlation with how well the opposing team scores and a barometer of how well they're defending outside of FG% and shot selection of the three main Heat players.
  • Dribble penetration. Lakers don't really have penetrating guards outside of Kobe and Portland's guards lacked a lot of outside shooting, but Harden/Westbrook (regardless of his decision making) still showed some holes for me in terms of transition defense and containing dribble penetration.
  • Athleticism. How much of a factor will Miami's speed in double teams be?
I personally can't really use match-ups this time around. Truly hard to quantify (I'll definitely admit it in this scenario).

The free throw thing is being overblown because of the last Heat-Mavericks series. Unless a 40 to 20 FT game happens (entirely possible), then this will be a non issue. If FT are expectable across the series (about 5-7 apart per game), then there will not be any problems in this area.

I guess free throw disparity is the wrong word for it; What I mean though is that it's practically the Heat's offense at this point and also their defense if you think about it.

The last three teams failed in keeping them off the line so much.. and Chicago has had minimal success (hence why they are defending them the best thus far).

The Mavericks don't necessarily have to do it to that extent of course; but it's just something I think would be important in at least defending them and not constantly going up against that half-court defense. They literally do live and die by it. Another important thing to know is that Dallas doesn't have too many "stopper" options. Marion, for example, is really their only reliable "stopper" for LeBron. What if his minutes are limited due to fouls? Same thing for Kidd/Stevenson. The better Terry/Peja/Brewer (and dear god not Barea) have in not defending these guys, the better. So, what I really mean is "limiting the big three's ability to force your weaker defenders on them and their overall chance to set up by limiting their chances at the line".

By the way, I mention Barea because Wade does play point guard at times.

Another good read on the Mike Brown hiring: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_mike_brown_kobe_bryant_jim_buss_lakers052511

of note is the paragraph mentioning that Jim Buss isn't willing to trade Bynum even for Dwight. Some shit about Brown and Bynum being "his guys." So yeah, fuck Buss.
The Lakers dont need Dwight thats why -___-

Hes a nice upgrade obviously but there are more holes to worry about on this team. If Buss is smart, there are two moves I would look to do that I can call right now are going down on draft night : Rubio is getting traded this draft and the Timberwolves are not keeping that #2 pick... If LA doesnt have any interest in Rubio they should really look into trading for that #2 pick if Irving is still on the board

I thought you guys needed more athleticism? What does Rubio bring?
Fisher really isnt needed if and most likely the triangle is ditched, its the fact of the potential of him on this team. He doesnt need to score, hes a really good passer... I havent seen enough of him to see what he brings on defense, but offensively its definitely worth the risk to try and trade for him

Not needing Dwight Howard is not the same as him not turning your team into a better team. If they could somehow keep 3 of Kobe/Gasol/Odom and add Howard, that is definitely a championship contender team. Dwight may not be a center for the ages, but that would be a fucking incredible #1-4. The situation moneywise is probably pretty unwieldy I assume, so it is not likely to happen? Rubio is not getting you guys to two championships in the next three years, Howard is. Kobe would be the #2 which is not something I am sure he can deal with, but he would be able to take it easy and play an older man game which he needs to do at this point.

I do agree that you guys need to upgrade from Fisher/Blake so fucking bad, but adding Howard to your team allows you to bully every other team so badly that I am not sure it matters.

I thought you guys needed more athleticism? What does Rubio bring?
A Luke Walton that can play an entire season? IDK, your guess is as good as mine. The more I look at LA trading to get Rubio, the more absurd it seems. Granted he would probably be an excellent fit for the Triangle, but lets be honest, without PJ to coach it, how long or successful do you think the Triangle will be? We've all seen just how well it worked out in Minnesota the last two years. Lol KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN and Rambis.

Not needing Dwight Howard is not the same as him not turning your team into a better team. If they could somehow keep 3 of Kobe/Gasol/Odom and add Howard, that is definitely a championship contender team. Dwight may not be a center for the ages, but that would be a fucking incredible #1-4. The situation moneywise is probably pretty unwieldy I assume, so it is not likely to happen? Rubio is not getting you guys to two championships in the next three years, Howard is. Kobe would be the #2 which is not something I am sure he can deal with, but he would be able to take it easy and play an older man game which he needs to do at this point.

I do agree that you guys need to upgrade from Fisher/Blake so fucking bad, but adding Howard to your team allows you to bully every other team so badly that I am not sure it matters.
This team now could get us to a championship in two years... They imploded in one playoff series and everyone suddenly forgets how the core of this team still made it to 3 Finals in a row... And yes, they would of course be better with Dwight, but do you really think the Magic are just going to hand him to us for Bynum straight up? No sir

They needed a shakeup, which is what they have with Brown. Of course this could easily turn against LA, but you dont think if it works out Brown will immediately turn this team into a more defensive-minded team? They already have tons of weapons to score, their biggest issue was how lethargic they were on the defensive end. If Brown fixes that there is really no need for Dwight, this team is fine as is and I doubt the Magic would just hand us Howard for Bynum straight up... Unless Jerry becomes the Magic GM, then maybe we can get Dwight straight up for Ebanks and Character

A Luke Walton that can play an entire season? IDK, your guess is as good as mine. The more I look at LA trading to get Rubio, the more absurd it seems. Granted he would probably be an excellent fit for the Triangle, but lets be honest, without PJ to coach it, how long or successful do you think the Triangle will be? We've all seen just how well it worked out in Minnesota the last two years. Lol KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHN and Rambis.
Theyre not going to have the triangle next season most likely... New head coach = his system, I doubt hes actually going to defer his offense to Shaw, who by the way LA would've turned on quick anyway... You cant tell me that just because he was an assistant the rest of the team is just going to stand by him no matter what

Irving is not going to be available for the second pick of the draft, he's pretty much a lock for the Cavs at #1, and I've heard there's a strong possibility the Wolves will trade down their pick to the Cavs for the 4th pick + the trade exception that was received from the Heat and/or random garbage. The Wolves don't need Kanter or Williams.

Also IMO Rubio was extremely overrated when he was drafted and is currently looking like a complete bust. He plays limited minutes in Spain and is largely unimpressive when he plays.

A downgrade from Phil Jackson to Mike Brown is not a shakeup, it is a downgrade.

The team as is will not make a single championship in my opinion, even if it might still squeak into one somehow (not happening without an actual change, which a coaching change is not, Kobe is too worn down and teams like the Nuggets and Thunder and Blazers are not going away any time soon), Howard puts you in two of the next three finals, so with average luck you win one. No matter how much you had to give up for Howard, as long as you had that top 4 you would be in two finals in the next three years. I agree that it is not realistic that they get him, I actually stated that in my post; I am sure if I were you I would come up with some inelaborate insult for your reading skills.

Rubio does look like a bust...I think he would have succeeded if Khan had not drafted another point guard at the next spot and driven Ricky Rubio to flee back to Europe. Rubio was at a point in his life that he needed to take the next step, and instead he has taken a step back.

A downgrade from Phil Jackson to Mike Brown is not a shakeup, it is a downgrade.

The team as is will not make a single championship in my opinion, even if it might still squeak into one somehow (not happening without an actual change, which a coaching change is not, Kobe is too worn down and teams like the Nuggets and Thunder and Blazers are not going away any time soon), Howard puts you in two of the next three finals, so with average luck you win one. No matter how much you had to give up for Howard, as long as you had that top 4 you would be in two finals in the next three years. I agree that it is not realistic that they get him, I actually stated that in my post; I am sure if I were you I would come up with some inelaborate insult for your reading skills.

Rubio does look like a bust...I think he would have succeeded if Khan had not drafted another point guard at the next spot and driven Ricky Rubio to flee back to Europe. Rubio was at a point in his life that he needed to take the next step, and instead he has taken a step back.
Anybody is a downgrade from Phil Jackson.... Brown is a defensive minded coach that can actually stop this team from taking plays off, its simple lol... Ive stated that hes a boom or bust, hes either going to be great for this team or really bad with it appearing to be the former. Its simple, do you honestly believe the players would have respected Shaw much more than they are going to respect Brown?

And Rubio was never going to play for Minnesota... He made it pretty clear before they drafted him that he wanted to play in a big city, Flynn was just the insurance policy for Minnesota. On top of that, they said the same thing about Brandon Jennings when he saw limited minutes and struggled in Europe... We dont know if hes actually a bust until he comes to the NBA

You said you don't need Rubio to score but I disagree; people will easily lay off of him and challenge him to hit perimeter shots. Wasn't three point shooting a problem for the Lakers?

And what about his defense? Can you trust it? Is it euro style like that Toronto point guard?

Anybody is a downgrade from Phil Jackson.... Brown is a defensive minded coach that can actually stop this team from taking plays off, its simple lol... Ive stated that hes a boom or bust, hes either going to be great for this team or really bad with it appearing to be the former. Its simple, do you honestly believe the players would have respected Shaw much more than they are going to respect Brown?

And Rubio was never going to play for Minnesota... He made it pretty clear before they drafted him that he wanted to play in a big city, Flynn was just the insurance policy for Minnesota. On top of that, they said the same thing about Brandon Jennings when he saw limited minutes and struggled in Europe... We dont know if hes actually a bust until he comes to the NBA
I pretty much agree with everything here. I'd just like to add that Rubio was playing his best basketball during the draft period last year. If I'm Minnesota, I'm trying to trade Rubio for whatever solid players I can get. I bet Rubio ends up being Jose Calderon with better passing skills and court vision. I think its time we give up on ever having another Steve Nash caliber PG.

You said you don't need Rubio to score but I disagree; people will easily lay off of him and challenge him to hit perimeter shots. Wasn't three point shooting a problem for the Lakers?

And what about his defense? Can you trust it? Is it euro style like that Toronto point guard?
Those are all issues that come up with him, but the positives and potential greatly outweigh the negatives at the moment. Plus hes not a great defender, but hes long and has quick hands which can make him a solid defender at the very least. And yes, but 3 pt shooting has never been a good suite for the Lakers... What does it honestly matter if Rubio cant shoot 3's, he'll run the offense and create for others

Not everybody is a major downgrade from Phil Jackson, but Mike Brown is (for the record I do not know what coaches are possibly coming available, I do not care about coaches in general because most seem hapless when it comes playoff time, I am just not interested in most of them). He does not have the offensive vision or game planning ability to get this team to a finals despite it being immensely talented even if they fix the point guard problem. The reason I disagree with you that the Lakers can get back to the finals (and it is not even close right now) is their point guard problem. It is too immense to overcome at this point...Fisher did a great job of covering up for how much of a problem it was at first, last year it was luck that Fisher was still able to cover up for himself even a couple of times, and now both Fisher and Blake are complete liabilities. No matter how much the defense improves, this has become a black hole and there is no way that a guy like Mike Brown can deal with that. Your boom and bust thing is as big of bullshit as your whole "it was a needed shakeup!!" thing, something that is a copout to pretend change has happened when it has not. Every coaching situation is boom or bust...unless a team is terrible, why would they keep on a borderline coach? Only dysfunctional teams keep on coaches who are not working out.

I do not know that they would have respected Shaw, but how does that make up for them not respecting Brown?

If it was clear that Rubio would never play for him, then they should have just drafted neither point guard...Flynn was a bad choice PERIOD at the time, not just because they already took one.

Lakers said:
but 3 pt shooting has never been a good suite for the Lakers... What does it honestly matter if Rubio cant shoot 3's
I hope you didn't just forget a couple of weeks ago? If you don't have good outside shooters, the paint will be packed and your bigs will be ineffective.

I'm sure his positives are great but.. if you just make your weakness even worse, how will you gain? I honestly thought the Lakers problem was perimeter efficiency in general. Sasha and Farmar are gone, so three point shooting left you. No coincidence that you got dominated on that end without them.

Not everybody is a major downgrade from Phil Jackson, but Mike Brown is (for the record I do not know what coaches are possibly coming available, I do not care about coaches in general because most seem hapless when it comes playoff time, I am just not interested in most of them). He does not have the offensive vision or game planning ability to get this team to a finals despite it being immensely talented even if they fix the point guard problem. The reason I disagree with you that the Lakers can get back to the finals (and it is not even close right now) is their point guard problem. It is too immense to overcome at this point...Fisher did a great job of covering up for how much of a problem it was at first, last year it was luck that Fisher was still able to cover up for himself even a couple of times, and now both Fisher and Blake are complete liabilities. No matter how much the defense improves, this has become a black hole and there is no way that a guy like Mike Brown can deal with that. Your boom and bust thing is as big of bullshit as your whole "it was a needed shakeup!!" thing, something that is a copout to pretend change has happened when it has not. Every coaching situation is boom or bust...unless a team is terrible, why would they keep on a borderline coach? Only dysfunctional teams keep on coaches who are not working out.

I do not know that they would have respected Shaw, but how does that make up for them not respecting Brown?

If it was clear that Rubio would never play for him, then they should have just drafted neither point guard...Flynn was a bad choice PERIOD at the time, not just because they already took one.
Everything you've mentioned about Brown has been "If's", except for his offensive game-planning which I agree with. And this isnt a shake up? How is going from the free loving Phil Jackson to a tough minded defensive coach not a shake up? Im telling you, he was hired for a reason. A serious attitude change was needed for this team and Brown is going to deliver that. Like I said, Defense takes discipline. These ego's you speak of are exactly why they play shitty, lethargic defense. If Brown can come in and teach Defense from day 1 their ego's arent going to be a problem.

Like I've said time and time again, he didnt win 66 and 61 games in back to back years because he couldnt coach. This guy can coach, hes not the greatest offensive coach but how good of a system do you really need with all the weapons they have on offense?

And are you still under the assumption that Fisher/Blake is really going to be their PG tandem next season? Fisher was kept around for one reason, to run the triangle. Hes getting pushed to a backup role, and if LA doesnt either shop around for a PG or look for any young PG that can come in immediately I will not only be surprised but extremely disappointed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)