Official Nintendo Pokemon Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says that if we used an external device on our pokemon game that we will be disqualified but what if you didn't hack pokemon but just used an AR to get the complete pokedex (for GTS)...will that be considered as hacking and result in a DQ?

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
It says that if we used an external device on our pokemon game that we will be disqualified but what if you didn't hack pokemon but just used an AR to get the complete pokedex (for GTS)...will that be considered as hacking and result in a DQ?
I would presume so. That device seems rather external to me.

I would presume so. That device seems rather external to me.

Yea well I know that an AR is a cheating device but I didn't hack the pokemon I only got the pokedex completed which doesn't take away the legit-a-macy of the pokemon. (Sorry but I didn't know how to spell that word for legit...you know.>__>)

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Yea well I know that an AR is a cheating device but I didn't hack the pokemon I only got the pokedex completed which doesn't take away the legit-a-macy of the pokemon. (Sorry but I didn't know how to spell that word for legit...you know.>__>)
The use of external devices to alter a player’s Pokémon game is expressly forbidden.
IF game=altered by external device
THEN forbidden.

I'm having a hard time seeing what's so unclear.

I was all hyped I was going to be qualified but with all this qualification "drawing from a hat " bullshit being part of the rules, my hopes were ruined :(

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I suspect a large portion of the people who qualify will still not show up. If I don't qualify, then I'm torn as to whether I'll just go to the event (likely in LA) and try for one of those slots (and just hand out with other people if they go?) or just stay home. I'll probably stay home because gas is expensive and so are bus tickets.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
If you haven't Arceus in your dex they can't know that you cheated.

I predict many of us restarting our Diamond and Pearl codes.

I'm going to have to think carefully about this. Now I'm past the level 50 gripe, I have no idea what to build for a team. Just haven't played enough doubles. I think that the folks expecting Scarf'd sleep moves + Fake Out are on to something.

In the actual game, during the few battles that were duo battles I loved using EQ+Levitate/Flying Partner. I'd imagine Surf/Vaporeon or Discharge/Electrivire could work too.

I'm going to have to look at the MoveDex to check on what moves effect the whole field in Doubles. Anyone have a quick list here? I know that includes EQ, Surf, Discharge....

I highly advise anyone such as LGY (PM me if you've thought of a nick for Cresselia btw) to not try and enter the tournament with their current cart if they have Arceus in their Pokédex, and probably not Shaymin either (they may not believe you got it from someone who went to a Japanese event). As I believe Raikou said earlier, simply using an Action Replay would likely mark your game (not necessarily Pokémon depending on codes used) as well.

I advise anyone in this sort of situation to trade their valuable Pokémon to a friend's cart (I'm sure there are even people willing to hold Pokémon on Smogon), wiping their old cart, and starting anew. Arceus and Shaymin could safely be transferred over after the tournament. IMO buying a new game isn't the best financial decision at this point, what with Platinum being released likely next year.

I highly advise anyone such as LGY (PM me if you've thought of a nick for Cresselia btw) to not try and enter the tournament with their current cart if they have Arceus in their Pokédex, and probably not Shaymin either (they may not believe you got it from someone who went to a Japanese event). As I believe Raikou said earlier, simply using an Action Replay would likely mark your game (not necessarily Pokémon depending on codes used) as well.

I advise anyone in this sort of situation to trade their valuable Pokémon to a friend's cart (I'm sure there are even people willing to hold Pokémon on Smogon), wiping their old cart, and starting anew. Arceus and Shaymin could safely be transferred over after the tournament. IMO buying a new game isn't the best financial decision at this point, what with Platinum being released likely next year.
Isn't there a TRU Shaymin event soonish?

I believe that's Darkrai May 31-June 1. As far as I know, only Japan is going to have Shaymin event right now, and I believe that's in June to promote the new movie.

The general message being, Arceus is a definite no-no, and Shaymin is a bit risky, especially if they look at previous save states (not sure if that's the correct term) and see that it's English, or Japanese not from the event, which I believe was done for some people at JAA. If the employees working there don't know about the Shaymin event in Japan, or the glitch (which, chances are, they won't), they could be suspicious if you have anything beyond Darkrai.

Well, I registered and passed the quiz (which was a joke). Maybe I'll somehow find a way to get from Chicago to New York, like by convincing my family that we need a summer vacation to New York on the week of July 19th.

Also, I went to JAA, but I'd forgotten my Sapphire and couldn't participate in the tournament (probably for the best, because my best pokemon was a lv. 78 Modest Sceptile with Strength, Brick Break, Leaf Blade, and Rock Smash and had a 3 special attack IV and an 8 speed IV--yeah, I sucked back then).

i took the stupid quiz this morning and passed with a 20/20 :O

hopefully, i will be picked to go to NY for the showdown and maybe meet some of you.

im so glad, i live in PA since its only like two hours from here to NY.

Speaking of about the Pokedex, they probably won't care if you have Shaymin at the Finals in Orlando considereing that some if not most of the Japanese Players there will have one, so you can just lie and say "Oh, one of the Japanese Players traded me their Shaymin for the Data." You can't have an English Shaymin in your pack though :P

Personally I live to far away from NY or LA to Participate but I will be going to Orlando to the Finals anyway. They might have a Side Tourtament or something...

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
One thing we should keep in mind when we're making our teams is the Shedinja Factor. Because it's 4 vs. 4 and not Stadium mode(And T-Tar's banned), you have to have a pokemon on your team who can handle it. You can't just have a pokemon in reserve for it. I was actually considdering using it with follow me support but found it to be too risky.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
People who have almost no chance of going to the tournament, quit registering and filling it up with useless entries. I live only an hour away from LA and yet I don't think I will be selected due to random selections for people living in the middle of nowhere and have no method of transportation.

I mean I'm really upset people from Chicago, Colorado, etc are entering when you even say yourselves the chance is slim to none to actually participate. Its not just here but all over the internet people will say "oh yeah I will go if selected," even when they know they won't but are in denial. Yes I am sad they did not hold a JAA, but please don't take it away from the people who can actually attend the event.

While I'm sure they have a measure to make sure you go, like phone a number to RSVP and claim your position in a tournament, I just find it ridiculous that people are lying to themselves about going.

However if they do have some sort of RSVP thing or you are selected and cannot go, how about passing the invitation along to someone who can go. If someone was to give me their invite I would personally give them a portion of the prizes, I'm really in it for the trip and the competition, someone else can have the DS and Wii.

Good luck to all of you entering. Does anyone know if its gonna be taped by the organizers or if they will allow people to film it? Because I would love to watch the battles taking place there, since I won't be able to attend.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus

You can say that you got Shaymin through the Elite-4 "Surf onto the door" glitch with a japanese version, as it's not expressely forbidden by their rules xD

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
People who have almost no chance of going to the tournament, quit registering and filling it up with useless entries. I live only an hour away from LA and yet I don't think I will be selected due to random selections for people living in the middle of nowhere and have no method of transportation.
I doubt that calling where we live 'the middle of nowhere' is going to make us very sympathetic to your plea. You might as well call it flyover country. ;)

Also, I don't believe invitations are transferable. I remember the rules specifying that.

EDIT: If you're only an hour away, just show up and try to nab a slot. It's not like it'll be a huge time investment for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)