Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st Akagi(Hiroshima) - know as Molf, last year's world champion Smeargle(Lv50)/Mismagius/Snorlax/Riperior
And '07 ;]. Mismaguis? Rhyperior? Kudos to Yoshimura for using such obscure 'mons, I hope he wins the nationals in Japan this year.

As for the rest of your list, I must say, Infernape usage has skyrocketed. It seems to be on every other team, and with good results to boot. Rain Teams are nowhere to be found and it appears that even Trick Room usage has died down quite some. Can you give us some insight on how the tourey is run over there? If I'm not certain, round one consisted of 47 qualifiers and round 2 is currently being held in 6 major cities?

Also, this just in: Osaka National Qualifier Finals and semi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZG3PWT4BN0&feature=channel_page

Winner: Empoleon(Shiny)/Toxicroak/Salamence/Snorlax
Runner Up: Kanghaskan(Lv.1)/Dusknoir/Snorlax/Bronzong

One of the semifinalists copied MOLF's original team (the one with Dusknoir) and fielded all shinies. This leads me to believe that you guys must have cracked the Platinum RNG? Regardless, Empoleon guy crushed both teams which, in my opinion, were played horribly. Both players sacrificed their level 1 Pokemon on the first turn and attempted to set-up the Belly Drum on the second. Classic example of sticking to a gameplan when more viable alternatives exist. Or perhaps it's just that level 1 Pokemon are no longer as potent in today's metagame? :/

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One of the semifinalists copied MOLF's original team (the one with Dusknoir) and fielded all shinies. This leads me to believe that you guys must have cracked the Platinum RNG?
We have. :) (Incidentally, DP apparently uses the same RNG as Platinum as well, it just wasn't figured out until recently.)

On that note, I'll be playing in Phoenix with shines, so long as they look cooler than their non-shiny counterparts.

Regardless, Empoleon guy crushed both teams which, in my opinion, were played horribly. Both players sacrificed their level 1 Pokemon on the first turn and attempted to set-up the Belly Drum on the second. Classic example of sticking to a gameplan when more viable alternatives exist. Or perhaps it's just that level 1 Pokemon are no longer as potent in today's metagame? :/
I agree with the "played horribly" part. Some of Molf's victories were accomplished with Smeargle being switched out and assisting with Fake Out later on.

Do you have a Vid to the battle with Magius? I suspect it's a TR team judgeing by what follows, and Magius makes for a somewhat Bulky SpDef pokemon, plus it's fast and has nice Status moves to boot. Still, I can only speculate...
And '07 ;]. Mismaguis? Rhyperior? Kudos to Yoshimura for using such obscure 'mons, I hope he wins the nationals in Japan this year.

As for the rest of your list, I must say, Infernape usage has skyrocketed. It seems to be on every other team, and with good results to boot. Rain Teams are nowhere to be found and it appears that even Trick Room usage has died down quite some. Can you give us some insight on how the tourey is run over there? If I'm not certain, round one consisted of 47 qualifiers and round 2 is currently being held in 6 major cities?

Also, this just in: Osaka National Qualifier Finals and semi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZG3PWT4BN0&feature=channel_page

One of the semifinalists copied MOLF's original team (the one with Dusknoir) and fielded all shinies. This leads me to believe that you guys must have cracked the Platinum RNG? Regardless, Empoleon guy crushed both teams which, in my opinion, were played horribly. Both players sacrificed their level 1 Pokemon on the first turn and attempted to set-up the Belly Drum on the second. Classic example of sticking to a gameplan when more viable alternatives exist. Or perhaps it's just that level 1 Pokemon are no longer as potent in today's metagame? :/

So, the three viable (or at least PROVEN viable) strategies are Goodstuffs (aka OU pokes), rain dance, and trick room? Good, that's what I thought...Although, I'm really suprsied more stuff isn't seen exploiting the lack of sleep clause, and to a lesser extent, evasion clause. I guess it's not as easy to get two opponents to sleep as it is one? Furthermore, I'm suprised at the lack of bulky teams abusing surf/water absorb (or dry skin). I guess you don't see any discharge/volt absorb abusers because those pokemon are too frail to appreciate it...

And waitaminute, what's up with micuat's post? At first I thoguht the Japanese tournament had finished, but now I'm guessing that the Hyogo finals were just regional?

One more question: How in the world are you supposed to practice for something like this? To my knowledge, Shoddy does not have doubles capabilities, and if you Pokesav teams to try them out on Wi-Fi, you'll be disqualified--or need another game. And surely one doesn't have time to legitimately breed and test every idea he comes up with.

So, the three viable (or at least PROVEN viable) strategies are Goodstuffs (aka OU pokes), rain dance, and trick room? Good, that's what I thought...Although, I'm really suprsied more stuff isn't seen exploiting the lack of sleep clause, and to a lesser extent, evasion clause. I guess it's not as easy to get two opponents to sleep as it is one?

And waitaminute, what's up with micuat's post? At first I thoguht the Japanese tournament had finished, but now I'm guessing that the Hyogo finals were just regional?
Seems that way.

IMO too many poeple are using lvl 1 Smeargle, which dies to any double or global hitting move. :\ Why not just lvl 50 Dark Void and have things like Fake Out, Taunt, whatever. IMO lvl50 > lvl1 when it comes to Smeargle.

Wouldn't be suprised if it was some celebrity that knows nothing about Pokemon, inserted just as a publicity stunt. But, I've been wrong before...

I think I have found a battle from Molf, but who knows what battle it was, I doubt it was the final. AND he did get very very lucky at some points:

Video no.:83-49091-29518

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Dallas is going to be my last stop, but me and my buddys will be there.
we are planning on going to all of the regionals in the western US.
That's cool. Plan to see me there. I don't know but it seems that dallas is the least popular of all the places.

I think I have found a battle from Molf, but who knows what battle it was, I doubt it was the final. AND he did get very very lucky at some points:

Video no.:83-49091-29518
Excuse my ignorance, but how do i locate this video based just on those numbers?

Excuse my ignorance, but how do i locate this video based just on those numbers?
Start Platinum, go to the GTS, go to the red warp-circle in the upper right corner, go to the large computer in the center and connect to Wi-Fi, choose the first option, the select the Number option in the menu, enter in the number, and tap the play triangle.

I wouldn't be surprised if his newer team was some sort of Perish Song team combined with Trick Room. I could see a Mean Look/Dark Void/TR Smeargle or something paired with a Perish Song Mismagius(assuming Mean Look hits both opponents in a double battle). and yeah, both lv. 1 Smeargle teams were pretty crappily played, they didn't know how to really use the team they had. The first video was a bit better than the second, since smeargle probably used Follow Me to try and draw a Taunt away from Dusknior, but yeah, there are a lot of better matches to watch than that one.

That is really interesting how both of the popular strategies on the USA are almost nowhere to be seen in Japan. Maybe this is a decline in an actual strategy revolving around field setup and an increase in pure power? That would be an interesting developement.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I wouldn't be surprised if his newer team was some sort of Perish Song team combined with Trick Room. I could see a Mean Look/Dark Void/TR Smeargle or something paired with a Perish Song Mismagius(assuming Mean Look hits both opponents in a double battle). and yeah, both lv. 1 Smeargle teams were pretty crappily played, they didn't know how to really use the team they had. The first video was a bit better than the second, since smeargle probably used Follow Me to try and draw a Taunt away from Dusknior, but yeah, there are a lot of better matches to watch than that one.

That is really interesting how both of the popular strategies on the USA are almost nowhere to be seen in Japan. Maybe this is a decline in an actual strategy revolving around field setup and an increase in pure power? That would be an interesting developement.
His team doesn't use Perish Song, sorry PBB. Also, his Smeargle does know Explosion, and I'm sure you're happy about that :p. Izuru's team is certainly interesting, although I'll admit I'm a little skeptical of how good it is. Also micuat, when are the national championships for Japan? I can't wait to see what team Izuru will use next(And I guess with this win that means he will be competing in the world championships iirc?).

Well, considering that all of our strategies were just copied from Japanese players anyways...it doesn't surprise me that our metagame is that much different since we haven't really seen anything new from them in a year.

Alright, it appears that barring any unforseen circumstances, I will be attending the event in Nashville. I have not yet booked my flight/hotel, but I will update you guys when I do. I look forward to seeing you guys in Nashville and hopefully in St. Louis!

As stated in the Nashville thread, it has been all but determined that I will be attending the Nashville qualifier. This will be my first major tournament experience (I wouldn't count online tourneys as much, there's no pressure), but I have confidence in my strategy as well as in my playing. I've been preparing my team for a while (3/4 pokemon bred), so now all that's left is to make the final preparations and put my plan into action. I look forward to seeing you all at the qualifier and hopefully in St. Louis and San Diego!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)