1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

#oi Movie Nights

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Jellicent, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Cheers, all ^.^

I thought that having a movie night once a week or so would be a fun way to bring the OI community together. Now that discussion on the Pokemon anime is allowed here, what better way to celebrate than a community viewing of each of the Pokemon films? I was thinking one per week, hopefully with some sort of scheduled time so we all know when to get on #orangeislands.

The catch is, we all have different schedules, live in different time zones, etc. Unfortunately, that means there will always be times that are great for some people but impossible for others. So, I'm starting this thread off to get a general idea of what times are good for everyone (be sure to include GMT in your post).

If we can't come to a specific time that a majority is comfortable with, I'm also fine with having it held at different times each week, and even different days. I'd rather there be a consistency, but I don't want a ton of people to feel left out, either >.>

So, who would be interested in this, and what times work best for you?
  2. RODAN

RODAN Literally A Rodank
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributor

can we do disney... i wanna watch pinocchio again

its been many a year
  3. Deinosaur

Deinosaur GO GOOMY

lets watch Pinocchio :D

actually no i change my vote to Tangled. <3

GMT -8 [PST]
  4. Jellicent

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

I'd rather start off with the Pokemon films, simply because it's cohesive with OI's overall theme. Also, they're something we can all relate to enough that I don't see many OI posters objecting to them. After we've run out of Pokemon films to watch (which will take a few months, but will most certainly happen if we keep this going), we can sort out what to start watching together each week, if anything. For now, we'd be watching the Pokemon films. Anyone that's interested in watching those, post what times work best for your weekly schedule (and, a reminder, post GMT with it >.>)
  5. Mafeking

Mafeking channels his inner Wolverine
    is a Contributor Alumnus

What about having different mods hosting them at different times in the day? That way the most amount of people can view them at once. Keep the day consistent, but anyone who has the same streaming ability as you do can lead the movie for different time zones?

p.s. someone please let me know when Pokemon 4Ever is going down it's my favorite and I think I'm the only one in the world with that opinion
  6. Purimpopoie

Purimpopoie

This does sound interesting. I can basically do any time on Thusrday night/Friday. My best would be sometimes around 1:00GMT on Friday mornings to 3:00GMT on Saturday.
  7. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

if
    It would probably clutter up #orangeislands if the same film was being watched several times in one day. Twice in a day, like X AM GMT and X PM GMT, might be doable if someone wanted to hold a second viewing kind of thing. The people I see on at 2 PM are different than the ones I see at 2 AM, for instance, so I think most #orangeislands regulars and OI posters looking to join in would be able to make it to one of those two showings.

Also, I will totally let you know when Pokemon 4Ever is going down, Mafey :3
  8. BattleStar

BattleStar

I really like this idea and would be happy to host one of the showings.
    Saskia likes this.
  9. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

This sounds really fun. I'm not a big talker on the OI irc channel, but I would love to join in for something like this.
  10. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Still interested in hearing some good times for people. 4 GMT AM Friday or Saturday are usually pretty solid times for me (around midnight Thursday or Friday night EST). I can be pretty flexible on this, those are just my preferred hours to host, if no one has trouble hitting them.

That said, if you do have trouble making those and want to join in, speak up ^.^
  11. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Mmk, so after a bit of chatting in #orangeislands, and because a few people have told me to just set a date and time, we're gonna go ahead and have the first movie night tonight ^.^

Fittingly enough, it'll be Pokemon: The First Movie. Let me know on IRC if you don't have a copy or something. The time for this is still a bit up in the air. Either 1 AM GMT Friday or 4 AM GMT Friday (9 PM or Midnight EST tonight). So, if you have a preferred time between the two, now's the time to post. If you'd like to host at an opposite time (say 1 PM or 4 PM GMT on Friday), hit me up on IRC ;)

Let's watch some Pokemon together ^.^
  12. dinosaurdan

dinosaurdan

Midnight would probably be better for me, because for me it would be about 11.
  13. Zacchaeus

Zacchaeus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Some Smogonites tried doing this about a year ago but it was poorly organized and illegal. So how are those things going to be avoided?
  14. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Right, so 4 AM GMT (or midnight EST, or whatever time wherever you are).

#OrangeIslands. Tonight. Be there. Have your movie ready. Somebody bring snacks. I've got the vodka ;)
  15. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

12 AM, can we do another one more friendly to EST people(like me :x)
  16. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

One at 11 PM or 12 AM EST would also be great, I enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind skype either with a few of you guys. But a synchtube and links or such would be helpful for matching it all up.

I forgot how weird the pikachu segments were, with the random pokemon moments. It's funny how many bubbles were in there, along with doomvm and I just always said the same things.

I'd suppose the next would be Pokemon 2000? I'll see if all my Burger King toys are still around!
  17. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Yeah, 2000 will be the next one (along with Pikachu's Rescue Adventure ^.^)

To everyone that turned up (DoomVM, Layell, Rodan, Jas#####, Phiddlesticks, TalkingLion, DTC, anyone else I missed >.>), I had fun, and glad to see you all there! Let's try to organize this again for next week!

Hopefully the next one won't be so last minute X__X (If you wanna be there for the next movie night, be sure to post what times work best for you [GMT included]. I'm flexible for shaking up the hosting times week by week, or making this the regular weekly showing time. Just post when is best for you ^.^)
  18. Rowan

Rowan not a professor
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I'd be up for changing the times around so different people can participate. I'm GMT +1, so obviously 5am wasn't ideal for me.

Also, how are you watching these movies? (DVD, online, download?)
  19. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

beta tested Pokemon 2000, ready to go for friday
  20. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

getting stoned/obliterated before falling back to watch anime? in!
  21. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Mmk, this is looking like it'll be rolling in again at the same time (4 AM GMT) tonight, so be sure to hop on #OrangeIslands. I'm still testing a few things right now; Texas, if you've got something, let me know :3
  22. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

I've put forth the motion that we ought to do do skype calls during the video. Some people want to watch full screen but chatting it up is also half the fun of these nights. I'll try to be on in advance to set it up as well as the synchtube.
  23. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

24. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick!
    Sprite Leader

Hey gang, I'm all set to stream the third Pokemon movie for tomorrow, we were thinking of planning to start an hour earlier, so 3 AM GMT Friday or 11 PM EST Thursday. I'd try to be on a bit earlier because I'd still love to have a skype call.

I'm still working out the fourth movie, I'm waiting for a copy from my library, hope it works out.
  25. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

As Layell said, we've pushed this ahead an hour. Hopefully that's a little more lenient to some of you ESTers (it'll be 11 tonight for us). 3 AM GMT Friday, make sure you've got your copy beforehand or just mooch off Layell. Hop on #OrangeIslands if you have any questions ^.^

Edit: Oh yeah, and just to clarify, we're watching the third movie (Spell of the Unown) and the Pikachu short (Pikachu and Pichu).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)