OM Interviews (#26: OM room)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Approved by Eevee General. Originally owned by Snaquaza.

OM Interviews
Welcome to the OM Interviews. This is a project similar to Player of the Week, but OM edition. Each week, a famous OM player will be interviewed. He'll tell about the OM's he plays, what kinds of playstyles he uses and a lot of other things. Besides being fun to read it could give some insight for newer players and help to get them into OM's, as well as see that and which OM's are fun. Feel free to suggest people that you'd like to see interviewed, but I can't guarantee that I will interview them.

Interviews
Snaquaza's Interviews

Adrian Marin's interview
Magnemite's interview
wishes's interview
Eevee General's interview
The Immortal's interview
Pikachuun's interview
ryan's interview
Nani Man's interview
Snaquaza's interview
verbatim's interview
imas's interview
Uselesscrab's interview
Kl4ng's interview
E4 Flint's interview
SpartanMalice's interview
Zangooser's interview

My Interviews

MAMP's interview
Shiba's interview
Peef Rimgar's interview
Lcass4919's interview
baconbagon's interview
scpinion's interview
Ransei's interview
Chopin Alkaninoff's interview
Dream Eater Gengar's interview
OM room's interview

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#1 Adrian Marin BH, the crazy staller!

Hey

Hi

How did you get into Pokemon?
I played GSC at an early age and played Pokemon ever since. I learned about competitive battling through a friend and have played in Net Battle, then Shoddy battle. At the time I wasn't very serious. Afterwards I went to PO and tried to get very good at the OU metagame, but failed miserably due to not being able to fully understand the fundamentals of it. I heard about Sharkmons from there. That's the Hackmons of a long time ago. I was rather fed up with how the metagame worked, so I tried Balanced Hackmons. I really, really liked it, and I got good at it. I started to contribute to the Balanced Hackmons thread shortly after I joined the Smogon community

What is your favorite playstyle and why?
My favourite playstyle is stall! Ever since I played GSC, I loved how epic the battles were! Long battles and the creativity needed to innovate and understand defensive structures really excites me! One of the biggest mistakes users make is to prioritise defensive type synergy. Defensive type synergy is important, but it's not everything. You need to wall every relevant threat reliably, that's the priority. Everything else comes after, but walling every threat is what stall is all about. Defeating opposing stall teams, supportive synergy, type synergy, etc, is not as important as the very core of stall itself.

What is your favorite OM?
It's still Balanced Hackmons of course! Otherwise I really like Tier Shift, Almost Any Ability, PU and Inverse Battle. Recently, I have not been able to play PU and AAA much, but I have been playing (and mostly teambuilding) in Tier Shift and Inverse Battle.

Who helped you get into BH?
Flint was like a mentor to me in BH at first, and later a rival, which I think is better. I always lost at the beginning, so I wanted to get better! Flint helped me become the crazy staller I am today, so I'm really grateful for his insight through battling.

Any underrated BH player?
AWailOfATail! He is an innovator! He's one of the best stallers I know in the BH metagame!

What Pokemon do you use the most in BH?
The Pokemon everyone uses, Chansey. It's still the same old Imposter set. I wish there would be another possibility!

Has there been any cool innovation in BH lately?
Seriously, I'm trying to find recent innovations, but I don't really see anything I truly like. There have been the AssistDon teams, but I don't really like it. My favorite recent innovation is my very own new variant of Poison Heal Primal Kyogre. It's a set made to defeat Imposters by sapping away its HP with Leech Seed, which gives you the HP advantage. It weakens their Water Spout.

What do you think is most important in BH: Anti-Shedinja, Anti-Ate or Anti-Imposter?
Well, if you're running offense, then Anti-Imposter is definitely the most important. You can outstall Imposter and Shedinja with stall, so I guess Anti-Ates are much more important for stall teams.

Do you have any tips for players who want to get into BH?
Research, don't play. I offer insight to get into the metagame using the Paranoid Stall playstyle if you want!

What have been your biggest achievements in OM's?
Getting % in the OM room, peaking multiple OM ladders repeatedly, and being a part of multiple councils in the OMs. Oh and of course creating the Paranoid Stall playstyle and innovating in the Balanced Hackmons metagame with the invention of sleep with Poison Heal to defeat Imposters. I've also ran the Victim of the Week thread and in gen 5 the creative BH sets thread, but I contribute mostly in councils.

What is in your opinion the most forgotten, yet good metagame?
I hate to self-promote, but that would be Suicide Cup Doubles. I just love how sadistic and unique it is. Otherwise it'd probably be Ability Shift, I don't know why it died out.

Last month there was a large battle between FU and Classic Hackmons in the OMotM voting. A lot of people were upset about it. What do you think of the winner: FU and which did you want to win?
Since I started as a Hackmons player, I really did want Hackmons to regain its ladder. I love PU, but I honestly find making 'an underused version of it' silly already.

Lately creative OM ideas have gotten scarce, or at least that's the general opinion. Most metagames exist already and the new ones are usually farfetch'd, over-powered, not different or just not fun. Do you have anything to say about this?
I guess it can't be helped, as most ideas have been made already. I think it's time for us to resurrect some of our great classic metagames, a project could help make that happen.

What do you think about Pet Mods?
I think pet mods need to be taken a little more seriously. The problem is their lack of simplicity makes them seem less official than OMs. It almost appears like a barren place! There's only one old rules thread and there are no other stickies. It almost appears like they're worse than OM's this way, even though it's great that they got a sub-forum. Pet Mods deserve much more, you place A LOT of effort into making most Pet Mods.

Apparently you wanted to say something about Infinite Battles?
Yes, Gtfo and Cry% and I founded it. As in we made it lol. I first thought about it way back in gen 5 BH, I used a simple Harvest Arceus set with Fling and Recycle. Gtfo and Cry% (a great stall player at the time) took an interest in it. I learned a lot from him, and we theorymonned a lot together, and I love theorymonning! He invented a better version, which is the Heal Pulse set we all know today.

Any final words?
Yeah, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE STALL AND HATERS DESERVE TO BE STALLED TO DEATH

Feel free to ask questions to Adrian Marin now! He'll try to answer them in this thread.

Last edited:

E4 Flint

-inactive in BH due corrupt leader-
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Adrian, couple quick and easy questions.

Can you comment on the veracity of the claims about a galapagos tortoise actually being born and dying before one of your battles was completed?

Between offense and stall playstyles, which is the more archaic, less reliable and has a less chance of winning, and why is it stall?

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys! If you ask questions, feel free to ask social/nonserious questions. Would be good if you did include a few serious questions though, let's not turn this thread into shit, even if it's more fun to.

How do you fit entry hazards onto your stall teams during teambuilding? Do you have a dedicated hazard layer, slap rocks or spikes on some things, rely on Magic Bouncing or Impostering your opponent's hazards, just see where they can be put after you've prioritized other things, ignore them, or what?

Under what circumstances, if any, would you put a Pokemon without a good recovery move on a stall team? What about two? When is Poison Heal enough to make up for not having a recovery move?

Can stall be run effectively in metas with nearly limitless possibilities and limited predictability (AAA, BH, etc.) just via moar scouting, or are there steps that can be taken to more generally mitigate the impact of unexpected threats?

Beyond walling all relevant threats in the meta, are there any roles that you feel are necessary to fill in a stall team?

How do I shot web?

Why isn't the screenshot of his infamous 2.4k turn long battle posted on the interview?
Why is offense so fast pace?
Have you ever stalled long enough to literally crash the server?

Edit:
Yeah, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE STALL AND HATERS DESERVE TO BE STALLED TO DEATH
LOL SO TRUE!

Oh boy...

Is there a specific reason for your love of mr mime other than it being creepy?
Whats with ur fetish with mr. Mime?
Edit: goddamn it dave
It's hard to explain, I just love da mimez so much lol

Why are you so hot?
Probably because of da stalz

What is your opinion on:

I'd have to make a new thread to answer that question .-.

Stall in Triples: Viable?
No

Hey Adrian, couple quick and easy questions.

Can you comment on the veracity of the claims about a galapagos tortoise actually being born and dying before one of your battles was completed?

Between offense and stall playstyles, which is the more archaic, less reliable and has a less chance of winning, and why is it stall?
rofl

Are you a nerd?

Am I a nerd?

tech me hao to pogemanz?

Edit: My computer just froze and I needed to restart it. Did you stall it to death?
we r al nerdz i dun no hao plai pogemanz n i stal ting 2 deth huehueha

Why do you play stall
To me, the stall playstyle is the only fun playstyle in Comp Pokemon, as short battles are incredibly boring, not to mention I really like the dedication in teambuilding required to use stall.

What's your second favorite Pokemon?

What's your favorite Fur Coat user?

Do you ever ladder anymore?
My second favourite Pokemon is Exeggutor, it's such a great mon <3
My favourite Fur Coat Pokemon is Giratina, Cresselia, or Audino
I don't really ladder anymore, bad ladder is bad ;-;

How/what was like the best OFFENSIVE team you ever made on BH? Or you only do stall?
I've made a few offensive teams in BH, and one was actually very good, but most my attempts to create offense teams were too defensive to actually be called offense.

How do you fit entry hazards onto your stall teams during teambuilding? Do you have a dedicated hazard layer, slap rocks or spikes on some things, rely on Magic Bouncing or Impostering your opponent's hazards, just see where they can be put after you've prioritized other things, ignore them, or what?

Under what circumstances, if any, would you put a Pokemon without a good recovery move on a stall team? What about two? When is Poison Heal enough to make up for not having a recovery move?

Can stall be run effectively in metas with nearly limitless possibilities and limited predictability (AAA, BH, etc.) just via moar scouting, or are there steps that can be taken to more generally mitigate the impact of unexpected threats?

Beyond walling all relevant threats in the meta, are there any roles that you feel are necessary to fill in a stall team?

How do I shot web?
Long question o.o

t's incredibly hard to fit entry hazards into stall teams in the BH metagame. I usually just slap it on a random wall with a free moveslot now. I don't really rely on hazards for my stall teams in BH, as they're extremely easy to remove/prevent, so I don't carry dedicated hazard layers.

I use recovery moves for almost all my Pokemon. Regenerator Pokemon don't require instant recovery though, additionally, it's never a good idea to use two recovery moves on one set. If your Poison Heal Pokemon is a sweeper, using instant-recovery would not be desirable, as Imposter Pokemon will easily come in and slowly stall you to death. Scouting is extremely important, but yes, there is a method to prepare for even the most obscure threats, and the easiest way to do so is through type synergy. There are many important aspects that should not be neglected when building a stall team.

what is the best way to break stall fastly ? ;-;
Stallbreakers, wallbreakers, and hazard setters all help defeat stall teams.

Why isn't the screenshot of his infamous 2.4k turn long battle posted on the interview?
Why is offense so fast pace?
Have you ever stalled long enough to literally crash the server?

Edit:
LOL SO TRUE!
If only the was possible :( I did force the moderators to stop my 2400+ turn battle though!

It's a great honour to be part of this! I'll be answering more questions tomorrow if you have any.

Last edited:
Why do you only have 30 mimez in ur sig?
What meta is best suited for pelipper stall?
One a scale from 1 to Pelipper, how much fun is TS?
What is your favorite pokemon in inverse and ts?
If you answer Mimez to any of this, I will decapitate their whole species one by one while the others watch.

What is your opinion on balance and have you ever used it?

Why are you so obsessed with making wall breakers viable/balancing ladders?

Can you provide proof for either of these statements?
  1. %adrian marin bh: My battles are always short!
  2. [18:32:18] %word: adrian stall is a level up from super stall

How does it feel knowing you cause such sweet tears?
It's extremely fun and exciting!

Why do you only have 30 mimez in ur sig?
What meta is best suited for pelipper stall?
One a scale from 1 to Pelipper, how much fun is TS?
What is your favorite pokemon in inverse and ts?
If you answer Mimez to any of this, I will decapitate their whole species one by one while the others watch.
Pelipper is actually one of my favourite Pokemon, but I have to say TS is absolutely Mr. Mime xD (please don't kill da mimez)

My favourite Pokemon in IB is Mienshao, while my favourite Pokemon in TS is Cresselia.

What is your standard counter for Clefable in OU ;-;
I don't have a standard counter, they all vary in usage. I normally use Heatran, Victini, or Jirachi.

What is your opinion on balance and have you ever used it?

Why are you so obsessed with making wall breakers viable/balancing ladders?

Can you provide proof for either of these statements?
  1. %adrian marin bh: My battles are always short!
  2. [18:32:18] %word: adrian stall is a level up from super stall
I have used balance a lot, and I actually like it. The thing I like the most about balanced teams is that they have more than one win condition.

I don't really know what you mean with the bolded question, as I have a dislike for wallbreakers lol.

As for the last one, you'll only find the answer if you follow the way of da mimez!

It's extremely fun and exciting!

Pelipper is actually one of my favourite Pokemon, but I have to say TS is absolutely Mr. Mime xD (please don't kill da mimez)

My favourite Pokemon in IB is Mienshao, while my favourite Pokemon in TS is Cresselia.

I don't have a standard counter, they all vary in usage. I normally use Heatran, Victini, or Jirachi.

I have used balance a lot, and I actually like it. The thing I like the most about balanced teams is that they have more than one win condition.

I don't really know what you mean with the bolded question, as I have a dislike for wallbreakers lol.

As for the last one, you'll only find the answer if you follow the way of da mimez!
By "obsession with making wallbreakers viable" he means "why do you find it so much fun to force people to use wallbreakers?"

Or at least, that's my guess.

Do you team build AF (like word mostly, and some BH players) or just try to find a single good strategy/team to beat a given tier and stick with it (like me)?

Snaquaza

KACAW
Adrian, I forgot to ask this, but which Pokemon would you recommend for breaking Paranoid stall in BH and what are all the tiers you've played stall in and can you give tips on how to use it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)