Resource ORAS Good Cores (Check Post #714)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been brought up before:

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Hyper Voice

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Sylveon walls a ton of things and can set up for ChariYard with CM, or alternatively Magnezone if it needs help against Steel/Poison. Sylveon's and Magnezone's defenses compliment each other, and both help clear the way for ChariYard to sweep. Since ChariYard isn't fond of Stealth Rock, I paired this with a Miracle Wish Defog Latias and SR-setting scarfed Lando-T to help Magnezone. DD Dragonite as a revenge killer - other options are welcomed, of course, but I'm very new so I can really only contribute so much. Hope this is somewhat viable, though, would love for someone with more knowledge to give it a shot.

As cool of a idea making a nuke stronger cm sylveon is pretty lack luster. Id either change that to choice specs or maybe use np celebi. Also modest zard y is pretty slow so timid might even be better. (yeah you dont outspeed much but still). Im pretty sure even with scarf somthing like mega meta can break this core(hp fire on scarf is p weak) if zards taken prior damage.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I mean CM Sylveon is a cool concept within itself I wouldn't go about bashing it unless you've actually used it. I mean obviously Celebi works there to but judging by what he/she said putting Celebi > Sylveon makes the the core massively prone to Weavile and a lot of high powered offensive threats that a Fairy type helps alleviate. With that said I'd go Timid on Zard-Y anyways. Regardless of the core being presented I wouldn't really speak on stuff you haven't used and call it mediocre simply cause it's a foreign concept from not using it. It creates a closed mindset and you don't open your options to the massive creative aspects that are there in ORAS.

I mean CM Sylveon is a cool concept within itself I wouldn't go about bashing it unless you've actually used it. I mean obviously Celebi works there to but judging by what he/she said putting Celebi > Sylveon makes the the core massively prone to Weavile and a lot of high powered offensive threats that a Fairy type helps alleviate. With that said I'd go Timid on Zard-Y anyways. Regardless of the core being presented I wouldn't really speak on stuff you haven't used and call it mediocre simply cause it's a foreign concept from not using it. It creates a closed mindset and you don't open your options to the massive creative aspects that are there in ORAS.
i didn't exactly call this mediocre and i have used cm sylveon but i guess i can see how it can be taken the wrong way. Guess again im sorry for that might just stick to posting cores. (didn't like it as i preferred the immediate specs power)

With that being said heres proof im open minded with a core with a really underated mon!

CB Azumaril + Specs Kyurem Offensive core

A
t a glance this core may seem weird as opposed to using lo kyurem black however the main niche kyurem has over its black counterpart is a higher special attack. The whole concept of this core is to punch massive holes in defensive/balance cores in order to allow sweepers and cleaners to clean up the mess. Of course lo kyu-black can also be used if you want. Offensive wise both of these pokemon are capable of smashing everything in the ou meta for neutral coverage however they are both fairly slow which means volt turn support or t-wave support is needed in order for this core to function vs more faster offensive teams. Teammate wise sweepers such as mega scizor functions nice providing slow u-turns allowing more switches into the wallbreakers while cleaners such as scarf terrakion can help clean up after the holes left by these two. A defensive backbone is really helpful in order to balance the team out so something along the lines of heatran+celebi work well. Other pokemon such as excadrill, talonflame or mega loppuny work great as well as mega venusaur for a nice safe switchin for several attacks. Remember this core is more suited to those that like using niche mons but is still a very effective core that can work on balance teams that might struggle vs defensive cores/teams. Enjoy!
BOP (Azumarill) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

DROP A DRACO! (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Pulse

Last edited:
Core dump!

Defensive Core: Mega Ampharos + Skarmory

Mega Ampharos is pretty unique that it's one of the best counters to Zard Y and isn't vulnerable to being Pursuit trapped. Its 90 / 105 / 110 bulk also shouldn't be underestimated. Skarmory makes for a pretty effective partner as they have solid defensive synergy; Skarmory is weak to Electric and Fire type moves, both of which Mega Ampharos resist, while Mega Ampharos is weak to Ground, Dragon, Ice, and Fairy type moves, Skarmory is neutral to Ice and resists the rest. Skarmory also hates stuff like Thundurus and Zard Y, which Ampharos can counter. Ampharos does not like facing Pokemon such as Landorus-T and Landorus-I, both of which Skarmory can handle pretty well if Landorus-I is lacking Focus Blast.
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Defog / Whirlwind
- Counter / Brave Bird

P.S. Mega Ampharos has fabulous hair

Offensive Core: Kyurem-Black + Gengar

LO Taunt Gengar is very hard to switch into, but it does have some counters, namely Specially Defensive Gliscor, Goodra, AV Tornadus-T, and Hippowdon. Kyu-B can solve all of these problems. It has Ice Beam to destroy Gliscor, Outrage to bop Goodra, Fusion Bolt to nail AV Tornadus-T (only 3HKOed by Superpower), and Ice Beam to OHKO Hippo. Gengar can also beat most of the answers to Kyu-B, such as Clefable, Mega Gardevoir, and Ferrothorn. Gengar and Kyu-B can destroy each others counters, while also being very hard to switch into for most teams.
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Outrage

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Offensive Core: SD Mega Heracross + Gengar

Yet another offensive core featuring two Pokemon with solid offensive synergy. SD Heracross is super underrated right now; it completely rips apart stall teams and has few limited switch ins. Defensive Lando-T, Doublade, and Gliscor are the few that come to mind. However, all of these can be lured in and defeated by Icy Wind Gengar. Mega Heracross can also set up on Pokemon such as Hippowdon that wall Gengar. Pretty effective core that can tear apart defensive teams that run Gliscor as their Gengar + Heracross answer.
Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- words Dance

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind

Here is a cool offensive core I have used to success recently.

Lure Celebi + DD Mega Altaria

I saw this Celebi set somewhere on the forums a while back and have been wanting to use it. I noticed lure Celebi lures in a lot Mega Altaria's checks and counters(Ferro, Tran, Scizor, Skarmory, etc.) allowing Mega Altaria to sweep easily. Heatran is a really good partner to this core because it makes opposing Heatrans not go for the fire move against Celebi and get 2HKO'd or OHKO'd by Earth Power. Heatran also synergizes especially well with Celebi and Mega Alt. A bird check is appreciated as Celebi and Mega Alt do not like birds at all.

The Celebi set is mandatory for this core, but you could change Mega Altaria's set too bulky DD since Celebi lures in Heatran.You can also replace Earth Power on Celebi to Psychic to lure in Amoongus and Venusaur, but you would have to run Earthquake on Mega Altaria

Importable
Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power\Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Heal Bell/Cotton Guard/Earthquake
- Roost

Celebi's speed EVs outspeed + nature base 80's. Max SpA to maximize your damage output, and the rest is dumped into HP.
This is the standard Mega Altaria spread. The speed EVs allow you too outspeed jolly Bisharp. Max Atk for maximizing damage output and the rest is put into HP for bulk.

Some relevant Celebi calcs.
252+ SpA Celebi Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 340-404 (105.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 264-312 (68.5 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 204-240 (59.4 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 240-284 (85.4 - 101%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 184-220 (52.2 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 160-190 (47.9 - 56.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I'm the one that posted the lure Celebi set in the Creative Sets thread, although with a different spread.

Glad you like it :) Adding a Magne(zone/ton) helps with Scizor, Skarm (they don't run much Shed Shell anymore), and Ferrothorn so you can be able to run Giga Drain, Earth Power, and Psychic coverage to help beat practically all of M-Altaria's checks/counters alongside Zone/Ton.

Balance Core: Manaphy + Clefable Core

Anywho, this is a cool core i've used on two bulky offense teams (one was for the Giratina-O suspect actually, and i want that ladder to go back up since it was fun as hell) to a lot of success.

Knock Off Clefable is really good since it can get rid of Chansey's Eviolite and Tornadus-T's Assault Vest to have an easier time against it, as well as getting rid of Heatran & Ferrothorn's recovery which allows them to be worn down very easily and more susceptible to going down to repeated hits. You can also catch Gliscor on switch-in and remove its Toxic Orb which is pretty nice, as well as getting rid of boosting items so you can set up easier and take less from any unfortunate crits.

Manaphy obviously thrives off of Torn-T losing its AV and Chansey losing its Eviolite, which allows these two to plow through balance and stall very reliably in tandem.

Manaphy sets up for free against Heatran, and beats CM M-Bro, opposing Clefable, and Crocune 1v1 pretty easily, and Clef sets up for free against Latis and electrics like Megaman, Raikou, and non Nasty Plot Thundurus.

This core is pretty weak to M-Venu, so Psychic is a solid option for baiting that in and still being able to hit Amoonguss. It does leave you weak to Ferrothorn however, so HP Fire can be used to nail that and Scizor off the bat (although Scald is pretty efficient too). Ice Beam is always a viable option too since it hits M-Venu and Ferrothorn for neutral damage, M-Altaria & Latias if you don't want Clef to take damage, as well as Amoonguss and Bulky Chomp before they can Clear Smog or Dragon Tail respectively. It just depends on your team build.

Rain Dance isn't really needed since Chansey can't Toxic stall you once its Eviolite is knocked off. I guess it can help against Unaware Clef, but that's gotten kinda rare recently.

Sets with dot standard spreads:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Knock Off
- Soft-Boiled

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Psychic / Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Fire] (run 4 extra Speed EVs of course)
- Energy Ball
- Scald

Hi guys! I'd really like to post a core i've been having a lot of fun with recently. Im not sure if you would put it under balanced or defensive, i guess it can be either depending on what sets you choose to run but otherwise i'd lean more to balanced.

Anyway its based around 2 regenerator mons:

and

Now the point to these two is to switch between them to take hits and force the other pokemon out. Thereby pathing the way for a double switch into a pokemon of your choice, e.g. charizard X for a free DD or to use a move of your choice and hope for a scald burn or a free giga drain for example. The synergy between the two of them is quite good, Amoonguss is weak to fire/psychic/ice/flying. Slowking resists 3 of those quite nicely. Slowking has 5 weaknesses of which 2 Amoonguss will resist (electric and grass) and 3 of which will hit neutrally (dark/bug/ghost) the later two are not all that common as moves go. However neither of these really like taking a knock-off, Slowking will often get KO'd by it or lose at least half if its not a STAB knock off. Amoonguss can live without his black sludge thanks to the fantastic Regenerator ability but still getting a dark resist or some kind of poke who wont get affected much (such as gliscor) to go with these two is a great help.

I'd like to emphasise just how freaking good regenerator actually is for both of these largely defensive mons. Been able to soak up a hit and get 3/4 of a free slack off on switch out is incredibly useful and a lot of people get demoralised to some extent when they realise that no matter what they do the damage will just get healed up on switch out, can lead to some people making rash decisions in an attempt to get some meaningful damage onto them.

Anyway here are the two sets:

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Future sight / Psychic
- Ice Beam / Power Gem

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Foul Play / Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb / Clear smog

The other fantastic part about these two is there is actually quite a bit of variety in the moves they can run successfully depending on what you want and what is best for your team. Generally the items are fairly standard, Assault vest combined with slowkings large movepool and high SPD means he can literally switch into anything and take minimal damage upon switch out:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 156-185 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Or if they predict the switch in and try a grass move:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 146-172 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You giggle and switch out into something else or stay in and do whatever you want, hope for a scald burn or hit another one of your moves! Fire blast and Scald are the two moves generally standard as one is a stab move and the other nails a lot of the tanky grass switchins you get to Slowking such as ferrothorn and scizor:

164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 312-368 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 344-408 (100.2 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can run dragon tail to stop opposing set up CM sweepers, you can run future sight for tricksy shenanigans or psychic for a very decently hard hitting stab move. Final slot is again preference. Ice beam is great for coverage but power gem can be chosen if you already have ice coverage on your team.

Amoonguss also has options depending on what you want to do with your team. Spore/Giga drain are the two main staples. Being able to 100% sleep anything is a godsend unless they send in a grass pokemon. Giga Drain + Black sludge + Regenerator is great for keeping amoonguss healthy. Foul play can be chosen to hit psychics or set up AD sweepers but that can be a bit risky as amoonguss is weak to psychic and not the most physically defensive pokemon even with max Def investment. Stun spore is another good option as the number of times you can get a spore on someone then as they switch out get a free stun spore on their next mon is quite often. Sludge bomb is there to hit other grass types, which commonly switch in to avoid the dreaded spore but Clear smog is a fantastic option as it is like an upgraded haze. It removes all stat changes from the opposing pokemon and returns them to their base values. It only has 50 BP but that is still enough to do damage on pokemon weak to poison.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 321-378 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Amoonguss Clear Smog vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 116-138 (31.8 - 37.9%) -- 89.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 80-95 (18.5 - 21.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Provided you get a clean switchin to azumarill (either before setup or as revenge) then you will survive any hit and be able to clear smog afterwards to take away all of their stacks then switch out again or if you are feeling ballsy stay in and giga drain.

Good team options include those able to take physical hits, skarmory is one option as it can lay down hazards and since those two force a lot of switches the hazard damage racks up rather quickly. AV tornadus-T is another good option if you wish to have 3 regenerator mons, switching between the three of them is very effective to keep momentum up especally as Torn-T can have u-turn for free damage on the switch

Anyway to summarise these two have good synergy and pack a lot of options in just 2 mons. They tank a lot of hits and can force a lot of switches :). You can also chose to replace Slowking with Slowbro if you want a more physically tanky team, so many options!

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'd really like to post a core i've been having a lot of fun with recently. Im not sure if you would put it under balanced or defensive, i guess it can be either depending on what sets you choose to run but otherwise i'd lean more to balanced.

Anyway its based around 2 regenerator mons:

and

Now the point to these two is to switch between them to take hits and force the other pokemon out. Thereby pathing the way for a double switch into a pokemon of your choice, e.g. charizard X for a free DD or to use a move of your choice and hope for a scald burn or a free giga drain for example. The synergy between the two of them is quite good, Amoonguss is weak to fire/psychic/ice/flying. Slowking resists 3 of those quite nicely. Slowking has 5 weaknesses of which 2 Amoonguss will resist (electric and grass) and 3 of which will hit neutrally (dark/bug/ghost) the later two are not all that common as moves go. However neither of these really like taking a knock-off, Slowking will often get KO'd by it or lose at least half if its not a STAB knock off. Amoonguss can live without his black sludge thanks to the fantastic Regenerator ability but still getting a dark resist or some kind of poke who wont get affected much (such as gliscor) to go with these two is a great help.

I'd like to emphasise just how freaking good regenerator actually is for both of these largely defensive mons. Been able to soak up a hit and get 3/4 of a free slack off on switch out is incredibly useful and a lot of people get demoralised to some extent when they realise that no matter what they do the damage will just get healed up on switch out, can lead to some people making rash decisions in an attempt to get some meaningful damage onto them.

Anyway here are the two sets:

Slowking @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpA / 96 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail / Future sight / Psychic
- Ice Beam / Power Gem

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Foul Play / Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb / Clear smog

The other fantastic part about these two is there is actually quite a bit of variety in the moves they can run successfully depending on what you want and what is best for your team. Generally the items are fairly standard, Assault vest combined with slowkings large movepool and high SPD means he can literally switch into anything and take minimal damage upon switch out:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 156-185 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Or if they predict the switch in and try a grass move:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Energy Ball vs. 248 HP / 96 SpD Assault Vest Slowking: 146-172 (37.1 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You giggle and switch out into something else or stay in and do whatever you want, hope for a scald burn or hit another one of your moves! Fire blast and Scald are the two moves generally standard as one is a stab move and the other nails a lot of the tanky grass switchins you get to Slowking such as ferrothorn and scizor:

164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 312-368 (88.6 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

164+ SpA Slowking Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 344-408 (100.2 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can run dragon tail to stop opposing set up CM sweepers, you can run future sight for tricksy shenanigans or psychic for a very decently hard hitting stab move. Final slot is again preference. Ice beam is great for coverage but power gem can be chosen if you already have ice coverage on your team.

Amoonguss also has options depending on what you want to do with your team. Spore/Giga drain are the two main staples. Being able to 100% sleep anything is a godsend unless they send in a grass pokemon. Giga Drain + Black sludge + Regenerator is great for keeping amoonguss healthy. Foul play can be chosen to hit psychics or set up AD sweepers but that can be a bit risky as amoonguss is weak to psychic and not the most physically defensive pokemon even with max Def investment. Stun spore is another good option as the number of times you can get a spore on someone then as they switch out get a free stun spore on their next mon is quite often. Sludge bomb is there to hit other grass types, which commonly switch in to avoid the dreaded spore but Clear smog is a fantastic option as it is like an upgraded haze. It removes all stat changes from the opposing pokemon and returns them to their base values. It only has 50 BP but that is still enough to do damage on pokemon weak to poison.

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 321-378 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 SpA Amoonguss Clear Smog vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 116-138 (31.8 - 37.9%) -- 89.8% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 80-95 (18.5 - 21.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Provided you get a clean switchin to azumarill (either before setup or as revenge) then you will survive any hit and be able to clear smog afterwards to take away all of their stacks then switch out again or if you are feeling ballsy stay in and giga drain.

Good team options include those able to take physical hits, skarmory is one option as it can lay down hazards and since those two force a lot of switches the hazard damage racks up rather quickly

Anyway to summarise these two have good synergy and pack a lot of options in just 2 mons. They tank a lot of hits and can force a lot of switches :). You can also chose to replace Slowking with Slowbro if you want a more physically tanky team, so many options!
Very Nice Regen core. Would it be worth noting torn-T on it as a possible teamate? Regen spams always fun to mess around with and slowking and amoongus have great synergy with torn.

Just wondering, wouldn't slowbro work better on that core because it can better handle mega charizard x better and since you're using tornadus-t as a teammate, you don't need to worry about landorus-i that much?

Just wondering, wouldn't slowbro work better on that core because it can better handle mega charizard x better and since you're using tornadus-t as a teammate, you don't need to worry about landorus-i that much?
Thats actualy true. Slowkings not needed if Torn-T is used as a team member. Maybe the core should have torn-T as a third member of the core? Ik that its a two mon core but Slowbro+amoongus+AV torn-T should function slightly better perhaps.

Slowking's mainly for handling Mega-Metagross better, but right now you can run 184 SDef on Slowbro to avoid the 2HKO from GK.

Last edited:
Yes indeed Torn-T is also a very good option for even more regenerator fun no denying that :D. I just thought i would keep it simple to start with and only put down a 2 pokemon core as there are pretty much so many good options you can have with those two they fit with almost any team as a bulky balance duo.

Here is a balance core that has been good to me so far.

Sylveon and Ferrothorn are a good defensive core all on their own, covering each others weaknesses decently well; Sylveon deals well with fighting type wallbreakers that want to get at Ferro, while Ferro sponges hard physical attacks, especially Steel and Poison moves, like a boss. The amount of utility between them is awesome, covering cleric and hazard-setting roles reliably. They're also threats in themselves; Ferro's Leech Seed is a nuisance to sweepers and Sylveon's Hyper Voice in particular is a great spammable attack even uninvested (which incidentally is probably the only reason to use Sylveon over Clefable as a cleric - on stall teams, Clefable is probably a better way to complete a Fairythorn core). With Wish support, Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn goes from good to great, having no longer to rely exclusively on Leech Seed for recovery, and Heal Bell makes it a much more comfortable Scald switchin.

But they both have big problems with Fire types, especially the ubiquitous Heatran. Enter Keldeo, who deals with these very effectively. Which Keldeo set you use is really up to you/depends what else you use. Scarf and Specs both appreciate the extra switchins afforded by Wish support, while SubCM deals better with stall, which can be an issue for the other two. Not a lot to say really; Keldeo patches up the holes.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Icy Wind

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Spreads nabbed from the site analyses (great work y'all). Max Ferro's Def to take full advantage of Rocky Helmet. I use Scarf Keldeo but as I say, other sets can be effective.

Talonflame is big trouble for this core, as is Birdspam in general, so Rotom-W is a good partner. Charizard Y and Volcarona are problems if they aren't hit with SR damage, but otherwise Keldeo can deal (Scarf Keld needs Hydro Pump to 2KO Zard though). I'm an inexperienced player, so I may have missed some important stuff (sure you guys will point it out).

Offensive Core: Mega Diancie + SD Talonflame

The core is built around Mega Diancie + SD Talonflame, both who are decent partners for their offensive synergy. Since many Pokemon can fit as a third slot for this core, I haven't really added a third partner, so we'll get there later.

Talonflame is able to remove most of the opposing Steel- and Grass-types that threaten Mega Diancie. In addition to this, Talonflame provides priority for revenge killing and emergency situations, able to deal with threats that Mega Diancie may find problematic after a boost such as Volcarona and Mega Altaria at +1 speed, as well as Azumarill after a Belly Drum and prior damage. It can also revenge kill Scarf Keldeo. A few Specially Defensive Pokemon that wall Mega Diancie such as Mew, Clefable and Chansey are set-up fodder for Talonflame, assuming they aren't carrying any status-inducing moves. In return, Mega Diancie is able to destroy some of Talonflame's usual checks, such as Physically Defensive Zapdos, and non-scarfed variants of Garchomp, Heatran, Terrakion, Tyrantrum, and Tyranitar. Also, Mega Diancie can check Foul Play Mega Sableye and Mandibuzz. Also, since Talonflame hates Stealth Rock, Mega Diancie can hazard block it through the use of Magic Bounce.

Do note that the core is weak to Water-types and bulky Ground-types in general. Manaphy, Serperior, or NastyPass Celebi are a few teammates that can handle bulky Water-types. Keldeo is also another decent partner that can take on Ground-types as well as having a more stable check to Heatran and Tyranitar. In addition, Rotom-W serves as a water resist and a ground immunity, as well as being able to provide Will-o-Wisp and Volt Switch support.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 56 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Rock Polish

---

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

I'm so glad I came in this thread, I already had aerodactyl paired up with cb azu, but throwing in BP just spunds dirty! This thread is great keep up the great stuff guys!

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
here's an offensive core i think is rad
+

mega heracross is renowned for being a totally great stallbreaker with good bulk, good offensive typing, and amazing attack, but all this is held back its x4 weakness to flying alongside its low speed, meaning it's easily revenge killed by the ever present talonflame (which is becoming increasingly popular on stall/balance builds bc of how good its spdef set is), or pretty much anything that's faster and can hit it super-effectively. thundurus is naturally a great partner for this, as its a great check to talon for offensive team, while also being able to spreads paralysis to slow down faster opponents, making it easier for hera to put in work. good partners for this set are spinners/defoggers, as thundurus is weak to rocks and hera is easily worn down enough as it is. the latis deserves a notable mention as a partner, as they can defog hazards while also greatly appreciating heracross' ability to beat fighting types and able to clean up late game. i prefer substitute in hera's free moveslot to ease prediction and dodge status, but if you want to use sd, go for it.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Substitute
- Rock Blast

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic/ Focus Blast/ Nasty Plot/ Filler
So I recently built a team (in conjunction with marct25 and Mega Magic Bounce) around this core, although with Bullet Seed over Substitute on Heracross, and it works great. I couldn't find it in the OP though, so I was wondering if you had missed it or rejected it for some reason bolts?

its a solid core its just that the op hasnt been updated for a while and that core was posted after it was updated
op updated march 23rd
his core updated the 27th

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So there hasn't been a core on M-Zam huh. What a shame. Let me bring to you guys some fun stuff that I've been tinkering around with for a while.
+
or
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
Personally, I've been playing around a lot with M-Zam recently and it is a really terrifying mon to play with. Encore is honestly the best support move you can use on M-Zam since it's helps net you a potential kill/safe mega. It's actually really good on Balance and HO, resulting in different partners based on the type of playstyle you wish to play M-Zam around.

On HO, I am sure Invok3r can attest to how powerful a support Band Sciz is to M-Zam. It helps remove a lot of things that M-Zam naturally doesn't like. M-Gross (S-Ball doesn't kill if timid, and timid is extremely crucial imo in this metagame), Lati-twins, Chansey, Clef, Bisharp, T-Tar and the likes. What makes this a powerful core is the fact that Sciz is a slow-turner and a hard hitter. Slow turning allows M-Zam to come in safely while hard hitting allows M-Zam's checks to be naturally weakened to the point where M-Zam can just click the appropriate moves and win.

On Balance, M-Zam appreciates support from fatter mons like Clef which also removes a lot of things that M-Zam naturally doesn't like. Not only that, but Clef (being fat in nature) provides a lot of support for the team and is capable of consistently wearing down M-Zam's checks to the point where, once again, M-Zam can just click the appropriate moves and win [:

Remember, don't use Modest if you're running M-Zam on a HO squad but you can run Modest if you're running him on a Balanced squad with Clef because Modest Zam in base form speed ties with +Spe base 105 and all those mons with > 135 base speed (mainly, M-Lop, M-Man, +1 DDD M-Alt, etc.). Have fun using this squad as much as I did.

So there hasn't been a core on M-Zam huh. What a shame. Let me bring to you guys some fun stuff that I've been tinkering around with for a while.
+
or
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
Personally, I've been playing around a lot with M-Zam recently and it is a really terrifying mon to play with. Encore is honestly the best support move you can use on M-Zam since it's helps net you a potential kill/safe mega. It's actually really good on Balance and HO, resulting in different partners based on the type of playstyle you wish to play M-Zam around.

On HO, I am sure Invok3r can attest to how powerful a support Band Sciz is to M-Zam. It helps remove a lot of things that M-Zam naturally doesn't like. M-Gross (S-Ball doesn't kill if timid, and timid is extremely crucial imo in this metagame), Lati-twins, Chansey, Clef, Bisharp, T-Tar and the likes. What makes this a powerful core is the fact that Sciz is a slow-turner and a hard hitter. Slow turning allows M-Zam to come in safely while hard hitting allows M-Zam's checks to be naturally weakened to the point where M-Zam can just click the appropriate moves and win.

On Balance, M-Zam appreciates support from fatter mons like Clef which also removes a lot of things that M-Zam naturally doesn't like. Not only that, but Clef (being fat in nature) provides a lot of support for the team and is capable of consistently wearing down M-Zam's checks to the point where, once again, M-Zam can just click the appropriate moves and win [:

Remember, don't use Modest if you're running M-Zam on a HO squad but you can run Modest if you're running him on a Balanced squad with Clef because Modest Zam in base form speed ties with +Spe base 105 and all those mons with > 135 base speed (mainly, M-Lop, M-Man, +1 DDD M-Alt, etc.). Have fun using this squad as much as I did.

Yeah band scizor is good in combination with mega zam. It can pivot into many things that zam can't kill, like metagross and azumarill. Slow u-turns help mega zam a lot, often providing a safe revenge kill. I explain how these mons work together a bit better in my rmt, so be sure to check it out! n_n

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Somehow there seems to be no mention of this core anywhere, despite is relative commonality (is that even the right word for it lol?).

Rotom-W and Landorus-T can form a Volt-turn defensive core. Similar to the Tornadus-T Rotom-W core previously posted, both members can perform as defensive pivots which where down the opponent. Landorus can use Stealth Rocks to help weaken foes in conjunction with Volt-turning, while Will-o-wisp from Rotom can wear down opponents over the course of a battle. Intimidate and Burns are extremely effective at softening hits for the team, and so can help provide more set-up opportunities for other team members. This core can in particular help teams which struggle against Mega Lopunny or Mega Metagross. Rotom covers the Water and Ice weaknesses that Landorus hold, while the Grass weakness is easily covered by other team members. Choice Scarf Landorus can also be used, giving more offensive pressure but a lack of recovery and weakened bulk.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off/Rock Slide/Stone Edge
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower/Knock Off/Explosion
- Stone Edge

EDIT: I realize now that Soulblaster has previously posted this core here (lol at myself). His post can be found here.​

Last edited:
Somehow there seems to be no mention of this core anywhere, despite is relative commonality (is that even the right word for it lol?).

Rotom-W and Landorus-T can form a Volt-turn defensive core. Similar to the Tornadus-T Rotom-W core previously posted, both members can perform as defensive pivots which where down the opponent. Landorus can use Stealth Rocks to help weaken foes in conjunction with Volt-turning, while Will-o-wisp from Rotom can wear down opponents over the course of a battle. Intimidate and Burns are extremely effective at softening hits for the team, and so can help provide more set-up opportunities for other team members. This core can in particular help teams which struggle against Mega Lopunny or Mega Metagross. Rotom covers the Water and Ice weaknesses that Landorus hold, while the Grass weakness is easily covered by other team members. Choice Scarf Landorus can also be used, giving more offensive pressure but a lack of recovery and weakened bulk.
Well you mentioned that this core hasn't been mentioned even after 33 pages of cores suggested and think the reason why is because, although Rotom-W and Lando may compliment each other nicely, it's a core that gets worn down very easily and relatively quickly. They are two mons that are widely used on the same team quite a bit, but the lack of recovery and longevity make them a core easily worn down and taken care of in not very long. By the way I'm not arguing wether it's a core or not, I'm just addressing what you pointed out in your nomination n_n

heres a defensive core
+
+

slowking is probably one of the most underrated mons in this meta, being able to take on metagross+keldeo, landorus-i, special altaria, and m-garde all in one slot. i usually prefer it over slowbro due to its increased special bulk, while it resists a lot of common physical attacks (close combat, flare blitz, meteor mash, etc_ and is thus a better counter to m-gross over slowbro unless youre running float stone. i chose skarm as a partner, as it appreciates having slowking to take on fire types, while being able to handle most grass types in return. lastly, hippowdon was added to patch up this core's weakness to electric types while also providing rocks and another wall. the evs on slowking allow it to dodge the OHKO from bisharp's pursuit, while also being able to avoid the 2hko from m-altaria's hyper voice. skarm can probably be ev'd more effectively, but the given evs allow it to always avoid the 2hko from timid garde's focus blast and outspeed 168 speed azumarill. this core needs support to handle HP fire Serperior, but this is a core typically for stall teams so youll probably be ruining a heatran or unaware clef. i prefer running iron head on skarmory to be a reliable counter to fairies, but you can run a physically defensive spread with counter to better handle physical attackers.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

and an offensive core
+

medicham is a powerful wallbreaker in this meta that saw a large decline in usage since the beginning of ORAS due to the introduction of m-gallade, who has better bulk, speed, and set up options, and the introduction of new walls that medicham cant touch like mega-sableye or mega-slowbro.
however, medicham has recently seen more recognition in usage due to its sky-high attack and mega-sableye becoming less common. sylveon, however, is able to break down most physical walls, including mega-sableye and mega-slowbro due to its high powered specs boosted hyper-voices. it also appreciates medicham's ability to break down special walls that wall sylveon otherwise, such as heatran or chansey. baton pass is preferred over fake out on medicham to ease prediction and safely get into sylveon. good partners for this core are late-game cleaners who appreciate medicham and sylveon's wallbreaking prowess, such as banded dragonite, or spikesetters like klefki to wear down the opponents team. also, definitely run an answer to talonflame, as sylveon can't switch in and medicham cant live a brave bird.
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Baton Pass
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Heal Bell/Psyshock/this thing gets no coverage lol

tell me if i forgot anything or you think the sets should be changed or something

Last edited:
heres a defensive core
+
+

slowking is probably one of the most underrated mons in this meta, being able to take on metagross+keldeo, landorus-i, special altaria, and m-garde all in one slot. i usually prefer it over slowbro due to its increased special bulk, while it resists a lot of common physical attacks (close combat, flare blitz, meteor mash, etc_ and is thus a better counter to m-gross over slowbro unless youre running float stone. i chose skarm as a partner, as it appreciates having slowking to take on fire types, while being able to handle most grass types in return. lastly, hippowdon was added to patch up this core's weakness to electric types while also providing rocks and another wall. the evs on slowking allow it to dodge the OHKO from bisharp's pursuit, while also being able to avoid the 2hko from m-altaria's hyper voice. skarm can probably be ev'd more effectively, but the given evs allow it to always avoid the 2hko from timid garde's focus blast and outspeed 168 speed azumarill. this core needs support to handle HP fire Serperior, but this is a core typically for stall teams so youll probably be ruining a heatran or unaware clef. i prefer running iron head on skarmory to be a reliable counter to fairies, but you can run a physically defensive spread with counter to better handle physical attackers.
Skarmory @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head

Slowking @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

and an offensive core
+

medicham is a powerful wallbreaker in this meta that saw a large decline in usage since the beginning of ORAS due to the introduction of m-gallade, who has better bulk, speed, and set up options, and the introduction of new walls that medicham cant touch like mega-sableye or mega-slowbro.
however, medicham has recently seen more recognition in usage due to its sky-high attack and mega-sableye becoming less common. however, sylveon is able to break down most physical walls, including mega-sableye and mega-slowbro due to its high powered specs boosted hyper-voices. it also appreciates medicham's ability to break down special walls that wall sylveon otherwise, such as heatran or chansey. baton pass is preferred over fake out on medicham to ease prediction and safely get into sylveon. good partners for this core are late-game cleaners who appreciate medicham and sylveon's wallbreaking prowess, such as banded dragonite, or spikesetters like klefki to wear down the opponents team. also, definitely run an answer to talonflame, as sylveon can't switch in and medicham cant live a brave bird.
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Baton Pass
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Heal Bell/Psyshock/this thing gets no coverage lol

tell me if i forgot anything or you think the sets should be changed or something
The hide tags are messed up.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Totally ninja'd me with that defensive core <.< although I was gonna have SpDef Talon or Torn-T over Skarm just to handle grass types (primarily Serperior) better. I hadn't built the team yet though ;_;

I'd mention that the core really hates Rotom-W even though Slowking can take a hit, none of the members like being burned or taking STAB moves

Edit: oh yeah Baton Pass is often run on Specs Sylveon for momentum as well, and the slow switches are something Mega Medicham would really enjoy

The hide tags are messed up.
just fixed it, thanks :toast:

Totally ninja'd me with that defensive core <.< although I was gonna have SpDef Talon or Torn-T over Skarm just to handle grass types (primarily Serperior) better. I hadn't built the team yet though ;_;
i think talon's a cool option but i was gonna post another core with spdef talon soon so yeah haha. personally i like skarm just for a mix of being able to handle both special and physical attackers while being a cool defogger. torn-t is definitely a good option too (i could pass you the team i made with it if you want haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)