Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Update time, will try to update this more frequently after the suspect test happens. Been p busy past couple of weeks.
Code:
Mesprit S --> A+
Jynx A+ --> A
Klinklang A+ --> A-
Mawile A+ --> A
Scyther A+ --> A
Xatu A+ --> A
Kabutops A --> A+
Sawk A --> A+
Hariyama A- --> B+
Lanturn A- --> A
Ludicolo A- --> A
Vivillon A- --> B+
Zangoose A- --> B+
Electivire B+ -- A-
Quagsire B+ --> A-
Regirock B+ --> A-
Torterra B+ --> A
Vileplume B+ --> B
Jumpluff B --> C+
Stunfisk B -->  A-
Muk B- --> C+
Articuno C+ --> B-
Floatzel C+ --> B-
Meowstic-M C+ --> C-
Vullaby C+ --> C-
Fraxure C --> C+
Miltank C --> C+
Servine C --> C+
Gogoat C- --> C+
Rapidash C- --> C+
Shedinja C- --> C
Pignite C- --> Unranked
Lumineon D --> Unranked
Vibrava D --> Unranked
Vanilluxe Unranked --> B-
As always if I missed a change feel free to VM me, or if I didn't make a change you nommed bring it back up again

Well, I think I may as well do a nom for this poke I'm having some fun with

Seviper Unranked ---------> C-
At first look at sevipers stats, you wonder how this thing could be effective. With 100/100 offensive stats, he could serve as a mixed attacker, but his 66 speed sort of seems to let it down. However, look at his movepool. Seviper probably has some of the best coverage options in game. He gets everything, from flamethrower to earthquake, from aqua tail to giga drain. That is his niche. The ability to hit most things super effectively is a damn good niche. He also gets sucker punch to sort-of make up for his bad speed.
Although life orb is the standard set, choice scarf can be used to patch up his speed and turn him into an effective revenge killer, or choice specs can be used to turn him into an effective wallbreaker.
Oh and btw, this is the set I run:
Seviper Life Orb
- Sludge wave
-Flamethrower
-Giga drain
-sucker punch
252 spatk, 252 speed, 4 atk naive nature
And lets not forget about his abilities. Shed skin is very helpful, and removes annoying statuses like burn and paralysis. An immunity to toxic is very helpful.
I'm placing him in C- because he does have a small niche and can utilise different sets instead of being good at only one job. However he is arguably outclassed by cacturne (mixed attacker) as he has access to STAB sucker punch and better offensive stats.
Some calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 190-226 (78.8 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 276-328 (67.3 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 499-593 (126.6 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Seviper Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mismagius: 226-268 (86.5 - 102.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Seviper Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 187-221 (77.5 - 91.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 268-317 (71.6 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Unfortunately he has a problem of not being able to one-shot everything, but he can do some really serious damage.

I haven't tested out Seviper personally, but it is an interesting 'mon. In terms of it's ability, I would argue that Infiltrator is a far better ability than Shed Skin on an offensive set because it allows it to possibly revenge things that got behind a sub. Just my thoughts.

Well, I think I may as well do a nom for this poke I'm having some fun with

Seviper Unranked ---------> C-
At first look at sevipers stats, you wonder how this thing could be effective. With 100/100 offensive stats, he could serve as a mixed attacker, but his 66 speed sort of seems to let it down. However, look at his movepool. Seviper probably has some of the best coverage options in game. He gets everything, from flamethrower to earthquake, from aqua tail to giga drain. That is his niche. The ability to hit most things super effectively is a damn good niche. He also gets sucker punch to sort-of make up for his bad speed.
Although life orb is the standard set, choice scarf can be used to patch up his speed and turn him into an effective revenge killer, or choice specs can be used to turn him into an effective wallbreaker.
Oh and btw, this is the set I run:
Seviper Life Orb
- Sludge wave
-Flamethrower
-Giga drain
-sucker punch
252 spatk, 252 speed, 4 atk naive nature
And lets not forget about his abilities. Shed skin is very helpful, and removes annoying statuses like burn and paralysis. An immunity to toxic is very helpful.
I'm placing him in C- because he does have a small niche and can utilise different sets instead of being good at only one job. However he is arguably outclassed by cacturne (mixed attacker) as he has access to STAB sucker punch and better offensive stats.
Some calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Magneton: 190-226 (78.8 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 276-328 (67.3 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 499-593 (126.6 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Seviper Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mismagius: 226-268 (86.5 - 102.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb Seviper Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rotom: 187-221 (77.5 - 91.7%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Seviper Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gourgeist-Super: 268-317 (71.6 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Unfortunately he has a problem of not being able to one-shot everything, but he can do some really serious damage.
I think you're overlooking that Seviper has very little niche over another poison type. Haunter not only has a second stab, a fighting immunity, more power, a ground immunity, and destiny bond, it's also much faster than Seviper and pulls off a scarfed set much better(why are you scarfing a base 65 mon anyways?). What does aqua tail even hits for Seviper that's relevant, anyways. Literally it's niches are being able to have a decent chance to outspeed and ohko eviolite magneton with eq, having an underwhelming sucker punch(both of those calcs up there are on frail pokemon weak to sucker punch and it barely even has a chance to kill in either, notably with rocks against rotom), and flamethrower coverage which I mean Haunter can hit steels neutrally with shadow ball anyways so that's not that big of a deal.
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 283-338 (69 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 556-655 (141.1 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I suppose maybe Seviper can fit into D rank considering it stacks up better against steels and Magneton is currently around, but I'm skeptical it warrants even that even in this meta.

Nominating Lairon from Unranked --> C

Lairon @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Metal Burst
- Head Smash
- Earthquake

With the release of Custap Berry Lairon has become a solid lead in the current meta. Sturdy guarantees that you survive any hit and get up Stealth Rock always. Afterwards, you can follow up with a Metal Burst and usually get a kill against the likes of Stunfisk and Archeops with their Ground coverage. Head Smash is insanely powerful and makes it very risky to play around Metal Burst. Either way your opponent is going to take a lot of damage. Earthquake is for our good friend Magneton.

So pretty much if you play him right he's a suicide lead that gets up Rocks and gets a kill. Archeops can do essentially the same thing but it loses momentum after using Endeavor since they still need to finish off your mon at 1 HP. Lairon guarantees the kill and forces your opponent to revenge kill you. Subtle but important difference.
credit this to hjad imo.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-36576
replay of it working in SPL week 6 against finch, i think it's a surprise factor pokemon. Also the spread you suggested isn't the most effective, since you want to take the most damage as possible so you want to weaken your defenses and run a little hp; i have the spread I used in the post-spl set dump.
Now I wouldn't suggest C rank at all, D- if anything, since it's very niche and u-turn just fucks with it. Plus, if you know what you're facing then it's lost its surprise factor and if anything wouldn't really warrant a rank. If you can show me replays of it working in current meta, then it'd be easier to comment on.

credit this to hjad imo.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-36576
replay of it working in SPL week 6 against finch, i think it's a surprise factor pokemon. Also the spread you suggested isn't the most effective, since you want to take the most damage as possible so you want to weaken your defenses and run a little hp; i have the spread I used in the post-spl set dump.
Now I wouldn't suggest C rank at all, D- if anything, since it's very niche and u-turn just fucks with it. Plus, if you know what you're facing then it's lost its surprise factor and if anything wouldn't really warrant a rank. If you can show me replays of it working in current meta, then it'd be easier to comment on.
Running little HP is counter-intuitive; you decrease your longevity for no reason as Metal Burst calculates based on damage taken rather than a percentage. You can't take as much damage but your damage output remains the same, that's just a silly thing to do. Lowering defenses on the other hand is a cute idea but considering how much of a magnet Lairon is for 4x SE moves it defeats the purpose of doing so. Especially when you factor in moves like U-turn that invalidate Sturdy, and then you're left with severely decreased bulk for no reason. Lairon actually has good bulk and resists and it can check stuff like Scyther and SD Mawile really well. No reason to decrease its defensive potential for what seems like a more powerful Metal Burst when often these efforts will be irrelevant or even hurt you.

That said, I really don't care much for where it's ranked. But it's good enough to be somewhere on the list, at least.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dont know if this was missed or rejected by the ranking team, but I'll bring up this nom again from earlier.

Musharna to A+
Going to try my best not to reiterate what Adaire said earlier and give my views on this, but I strongly feel that Musharna deserves to be on the level of the other three main Psychic types of the tier [Uxie / Mesprit / Xatu]. From a teambuilding point of view, Musharna brings so much value thanks to its exceptional bulk, wide movepool, and relative diversity. The most common set, Calm Mind, is still just as potent as it always has been because it finds many opportunities to set up on common offensive Pokemon that can't 2HKO it. While the set basically has 3 moves that are pretty much necessary to function, the last slot is extremely customizable depending on your teams needs; Signal Beam gives great coverage alongside its STAB move to combat the rise of Dark types effectively allowing it to function more independently, Baton Pass for momentum or boosting a teammate, etc. The Barrier / Stored Power set which has seen a lot of use lately just needs Dark types removed to sweep, which really isn't that hard to do with proper team support and the Barrier boosts help out a ton when setting up. In addition, there aren't too many common Taunt users in the tier, and Musharna has a pretty decent matchup against most of them [Haunter has somewhat a 50/50 with attacking versus Taunting and is naturally threatened out, Mismagius is relatively frail, etc]. And thats just the Calm Mind set, I've had a ton of success with the support set which makes better use of Musharna's wide movepool with the likes of Healing Wish [we all know how incredible that move is given its somewhat limited distribution in the tier], mexican pride Thunder Wave, Baton Pass, and more. Don't have much to say on or any experience with the OTR set but it certainly adds another tool in Musharna's versatility and all.

Don't think too much else really should change atm, although Gorebyss should definitely drop to B; not going to restate that since it really just boils down to Sucker Punch.

Running little HP is counter-intuitive; you decrease your longevity for no reason as Metal Burst calculates based on damage taken rather than a percentage. You can't take as much damage but your damage output remains the same, that's just a silly thing to do. Lowering defenses on the other hand is a cute idea but considering how much of a magnet Lairon is for 4x SE moves it defeats the purpose of doing so. Especially when you factor in moves like U-turn that invalidate Sturdy, and then you're left with severely decreased bulk for no reason. Lairon actually has good bulk and resists and it can check stuff like Scyther and SD Mawile really well. No reason to decrease its defensive potential for what seems like a more powerful Metal Burst when often these efforts will be irrelevant or even hurt you.

That said, I really don't care much for where it's ranked. But it's good enough to be somewhere on the list, at least.
The idea of running less hp is so you reach your custap easier. This is the set I used:
Lairon @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: null Def / null SpD / null Spe
- Metal Burst
- Stealth Rock
- Endeavor
- Head Smash

Less speed means things like quagsire outspeed you, with that hp investment, you ko a 401hp invested pokemon attacking you and hitting you to sturdy.

Supporting musharna to rise, I nominated this during XY and every called me crazy haha

I think you're overlooking that Seviper has very little niche over another poison type. Haunter not only has a second stab, a fighting immunity, more power, a ground immunity, and destiny bond, it's also much faster than Seviper and pulls off a scarfed set much better(why are you scarfing a base 65 mon anyways?). What does aqua tail even hits for Seviper that's relevant, anyways. Literally it's niches are being able to have a decent chance to outspeed and ohko eviolite magneton with eq, having an underwhelming sucker punch(both of those calcs up there are on frail pokemon weak to sucker punch and it barely even has a chance to kill in either, notably with rocks against rotom), and flamethrower coverage which I mean Haunter can hit steels neutrally with shadow ball anyways so that's not that big of a deal.
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Audino: 283-338 (69 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Haunter Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 556-655 (141.1 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I suppose maybe Seviper can fit into D rank considering it stacks up better against steels and Magneton is currently around, but I'm skeptical it warrants even that even in this meta.
Well, seviper can run physical moves as well as special and he does get a good physical movepool too. Yes, haunter doesn't really need to much coverage because he has the fantastic STAB in ghost-type, but seviper does have all those coverage options. And sure they're both poison types but that's not really much to directly compare the two. You don't compare malamar to cacturne as the better dark-type. And aqua tail hits rock and ground types that resist sludge wave. And I don't use scarfed seviper, just noted that it is a usable set. Life orb is where it's at, and seviper gets giga drain to help reduce the life orb recoil.
I'm just trying to say seviper does have a niche that stands out, so I would be happy if he was put in D. With all that coverage, he can take care of types that really screw your team over

Well, seviper can run physical moves as well as special and he does get a good physical movepool too. Yes, haunter doesn't really need to much coverage because he has the fantastic STAB in ghost-type, but seviper does have all those coverage options. And sure they're both poison types but that's not really much to directly compare the two. You don't compare malamar to cacturne as the better dark-type. And aqua tail hits rock and ground types that resist sludge wave. And I don't use scarfed seviper, just noted that it is a usable set. Life orb is where it's at, and seviper gets giga drain to help reduce the life orb recoil.
I'm just trying to say seviper does have a niche that stands out, so I would be happy if he was put in D. With all that coverage, he can take care of types that really screw your team over
>comparing malamar/cacturne to haunter/seviper
I'm sorry, but when you have two mons that do almost the exact same thing, that's a very fair comparison. Cacturne and Malamar share nothing except dark typing.
Also why ever run aqua tail over giga drain? Not to mention physically what reason is there to use a Seviper physically over pokemon such as Muk(More attack, much more bulk, gunk shot), Arbok(Gunk Shot, more speed, same coverage physically, uses coil much better), or even Garbodor(more speed, gunk shot)?
The fact still stands that Seviper has very little niche. Perhaps if you can provide replays showing how the niches it does have are useful, then this nomination would be a little more convincing, but as it stands, it seems to have about as much niche as Throh, Butterfree, Lumineon, Bastiodon, Electrode, or any of the other E rank mons that have very little niche in this metagame.

One thing seviper has going for it is its ability to pick and choose its counters, which is a huge feature for any great pokemon. Look at Magneton, depending on its hidden power coverage and move set it can pick and choose what it wants to counter it (choose between quagsire and other magneton etc), same thing goes for gallade, (poison jab for granbull, leaf blade for quagsire).
Of course, seviper does this on a much smaller scale thanks to its pitiful typing and bulk. Personally, when I look for a attacker that's powerful I will often prefer Cacturne over seviper, but saying that, it does have niche coverage options.
I would have to try it, but based on this theory of picking and choosing its counters and its cool coverage choices, seviper warrants a play in D Rank, but then again, in reality, I don't think it'd got much over arbok and muk tbh

One advantage seviper has over haunter is that it doesn't get eaten up by sneasel after getting a kill.
Well it kind of does. :/
Choice Banded Sneasel comes in and can simply pursuit trap for a KO after life orb damage or takes you out with knock off,

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Seviper: 238-282 (82.9 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Seviper: 289-342 (100.6 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Well it kind of does. :/
Choice Banded Sneasel comes in and can simply pursuit trap for a KO after life orb damage or takes you out with knock off,

252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Seviper: 238-282 (82.9 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Sneasel Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Seviper: 289-342 (100.6 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Also Sneasel runs Life Orb...

>comparing malamar/cacturne to haunter/seviper
I'm sorry, but when you have two mons that do almost the exact same thing, that's a very fair comparison. Cacturne and Malamar share nothing except dark typing.
Also why ever run aqua tail over giga drain? Not to mention physically what reason is there to use a Seviper physically over pokemon such as Muk(More attack, much more bulk, gunk shot), Arbok(Gunk Shot, more speed, same coverage physically, uses coil much better), or even Garbodor(more speed, gunk shot)?
The fact still stands that Seviper has very little niche. Perhaps if you can provide replays showing how the niches it does have are useful, then this nomination would be a little more convincing, but as it stands, it seems to have about as much niche as Throh, Butterfree, Lumineon, Bastiodon, Electrode, or any of the other E rank mons that have very little niche in this metagame.
Uh, I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough, but I was saying comparing seviper to haunter just because they are special attackers and share the poison typing isn't really a good enough reason to compare the two. I said that it was like comparing malamar to cacturne for the better dark-type. Anyway, I will try to get some good battles where seviper has shown it's usefulness.

Pinsir B+ > A-

Ever since I've made a somewhat active return in the past 2-3 weeks, almost every offensively oriented team that I've created involves some variant of Pinsir. Despite it often being seen as a "one-trick pony" type of attacker, Pinsir is an incredibly versatile pokemon in the current metagame, and offers tremendous utility to offensive teams. Its Swords Dance Set stacks incredibly well with other physical sweepers due to two great abilities in Moxie and Mold Breaker, allowing it to become an immense wallbreaker which punches through just about everything with its good neutral coverage. Choice Banded gives Pinsir the opportunity to utilize its decent coverage coverage (X-Scissor, Close Combat, Earthquake, Knock Off, Stone Edge), cool typing, and insane power to put pressure on opponents off turn one. Nothing is more satisfying than watching a Ferroseed stay in to get a leech seed off, only to get OHKOd by a CC coming of 125 Attack. Scarf variants are decent and although not prime do have sweeping opportunities and play well as a revenge killer. Its Offensive Stealth Rock set (if Adamant) is also very cool, as it has a unique moveset that primes it to deal heavy damage to opposing leads, while having a acceptable speed tier and often alleviating teamslot issues for offensive teams.

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Is it too early for this? Who knows.

Gallade for A+/S

Don't think it matters that it's a bit early, we all know the score. Multiple great sets; SD, BU, AV, Band, (Scarf?), LO 4 attacks, etc. Great typing, nullifies fighting resists like Garbodor and Weezing. Very powerful and fast, faster than magneton and just as strong (I know they are different but it's a simple enough comparison right now), and not to mention it's bulky as all hell in special defense for a physical attacker. Initial thoughts for ranking it anyway, for however long it stays.

Is it too early for this? Who knows.

Gallade for A+/S

Don't think it matters that it's a bit early, we all know the score. Multiple great sets; SD, BU, AV, Band, (Scarf?), LO 4 attacks, etc. Great typing, nullifies fighting resists like Garbodor and Weezing. Very powerful and fast, faster than magneton and just as strong (I know they are different but it's a simple enough comparison right now), and not to mention it's bulky as all hell in special defense for a physical attacker. Initial thoughts for ranking it anyway, for however long it stays.
WTF WHEN DID WE GET GALLADE BAN BAN BAN BAN WTF

Raseri hollywood wtf run your tier who let the beast in

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
WTF WHEN DID WE GET GALLADE BAN BAN BAN BAN WTF

Raseri hollywood wtf run your tier who let the beast in
To sum up, Gallade was not in the RU tier list in the teambuilder so most of RU had no idea they could use it. As a result, it got next to no usage and dropped, we'll be sure to lose it or ban it if it proves to be too powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)